It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: A question for a US citizen.  (Read 2336 times)

Offline geeciejay

A question for a US citizen.
« on: January 29, 2006, 12:03:38 AM »
What is this?
 Single's Statement obtained at the U.S. Consular Sectionfor a fee $ 55.00

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
A question for a US citizen.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 06:26:10 PM »
What is this?
Single's Statement obtained at the U.S. Consular Sectionfor a fee $ 55.00

geec,

Your question is too vague. Where did you read that and which country are you referring to? It sounds like a requirement to marry in a foreign country.

Some countries require foreigners wishing to marry to obtain a certification from their government stating that they are single or legally free to marry before they can get a marriage license. For example, when I was married in the Philippines, the government office issuing the marriage license required foreigners to provide what they call a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" from the applicant’s embassy in the Philippines.

However, the U.S. and some other countries cannot verify your marriage status and do not issue such certificates. As an alternative, U.S. citizens must go to their consulate in the Philippines and execute an "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" before a consular officer. I brought a copy of my divorce decree and swore an oath that I was single and legally free to marry. The U.S. consulate charged a fee of $55 for the affidavit but I think it is only $30 now.

Ray

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133131
Total Topics: 7864