It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Taking food of your plate?  (Read 6174 times)

Offline Fuzzyone

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Taking food of your plate?
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:09 PM »
  I know this might sound funny but I have been married for 15 years to my wife and never have been able to break her of this habit. When we go to a restaurant we all order what we want to eat, now this is the rocky part, she starts eating food from everyone else's plate and not her own. It would not be so bad but she never finishes her meal. She came home tonight after taking my two grand kids out to eat and was mad because the oldest kid got mad when she started trying to eat off her plate. She tried telling me that another kid that was there offered her mom part of her ice cream. I told her I really do not like you putting your hands on my food when you do not finish your food. Am I missing something? I just do not like anyone touching my food when I am eating, she she wants to eat what I ordered then I feel she should order that instead of a dam salad!

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Taking food of your plate?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:51:03 AM »
In Colombia, in a restaurant it is considered to be very kind and cariñosa to share a taste of your plate with your date or girlfriend...or even sometimes other people at the table. It is a guy-girl thing. Seldom do it with my male friends.

I always offer to my dates. Unless we are eating the same dish. (i.e both have ordered Ham Sandwiches..ja ja)

But your wife seems a bit extreme in this regard
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:53:19 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »
  I know this might sound funny but I have been married for 15 years to my wife and never have been able to break her of this habit. When we go to a restaurant we all order what we want to eat, now this is the rocky part, she starts eating food from everyone else's plate and not her own. It would not be so bad but she never finishes her meal. She came home tonight after taking my two grand kids out to eat and was mad because the oldest kid got mad when she started trying to eat off her plate. She tried telling me that another kid that was there offered her mom part of her ice cream. I told her I really do not like you putting your hands on my food when you do not finish your food. Am I missing something? I just do not like anyone touching my food when I am eating, she she wants to eat what I ordered then I feel she should order that instead of a dam salad!

A quick look online and it appears people are all over the place on this topic. Some say within family it's OK, others don't. Some say it's normal amongst gourmets. Others say 'with permission only'.

Curious, I just spent a few minutes, but I didn't see anything tied into it being more common in certain cultures, but I bet it is.

Does your wife take home the uneaten food she ordered?

After all these years, my wife (and even me) is still appalled at how many people take a few bites and leave an expensive meal, enough to feed a whole 3rd world family. People who eat a couple plates at a buffet, load a third plate with prime rib, shrimp, etc and walk out, leaving it. Sad and stupid.

I told my wife to stop giving money to all the beggars--that our city us a magnet for them as they can get a bed and a meal for free, even if they have to be back on the street by 6AM. More often than not, the $$ goes for alcohol and drugs. Besides these 'down and outs' are often smoking cigarettes, some even have a dog, etc. But if they look especially forlorn, my wife usually won't give them money anymore but after we eat, she'll peek out to see if the hobo is still there so she can order a 'meal to go' for the person. It about kills me sometimes, but it's part of what she feels is her Christian obligation, so I don't get all pissy. Besides, as I pointed out out, just about every place in town us hiring about now, I try to explain.

It seems most common among upper class females. We sat next to two very well dressed, slender women at a nice restaurant. They talked continuously for the better part of an hour and then, barely having touched their food, (and it was an excellent place) got up and left it there cold. Maybe it was a status contest, I dunno.

My wife and I routinely try each other's food at restaurants. When out with my boys, it's unusual, but not unheard of.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »
never had a girlfriend eat food off my plate and a few i think would feel very uncomfortable if i did it to their plate. different to try a french fry or a piece, but to eat off somebody plate  unless asked too, is pretty weird.  she sounds like the type of person who goes to the bathroom with the door open hahahha ;D

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
never had a girlfriend eat food off my plate and a few i think would feel very uncomfortable if i did it to their plate. different to try a french fry or a piece, but to eat off somebody plate  unless asked too, is pretty weird.  she sounds like the type of person who goes to the bathroom with the door open hahahha ;D

You should try offering a taste of your dish if it is rico and different than yours.

Dont worry about using the same fork.Aftèr all the idea os you might be (or already have been).been sucking each others tongues, so who is worrying about a few fork germs?

Fuzzys wife is probably doing it without asking because she knows everyone well and is used to doing o
It and hasnt been told otherwise.

Dont think it is a big deal amongst family unless it really bothers him..which I guess it does.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:50:26 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »

So you have never had your date hold out her fork with something from her plate....and ask you if you would like to try it?

Plenty of chicks will not only take food off of your plate but put food they don't want (from their plate) on to yours.

And of course they will almost all come into the bathroom while you are shaving or bushing your teeth and sit on the pot and take a piss right next to you. I've never had one come in and take a dump....but that is probably coming one day. jajaja

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »

So you have never had your date hold out her fork with something from her plate....and ask you if you would like to try it?

Plenty of chicks will not only take food off of your plate but put food they don't want (from their plate) on to yours.

And of course they will almost all come into the bathroom while you are shaving or bushing your teeth and sit on the pot and take a piss right next to you. I've never had one come in and take a dump....but that is probably coming one day. jajaja
In Colombia, especially on the coast, you are considered egoista if you don't share...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 11:34:51 AM »
The other day, we were driving and my wife let a little 'gas' - - a fart slip and quickly opening the window, marveled, "You really know you married the right man when you can do that"... I responded that if I ever lost her, I'd surely have to readjust my behavior from how it is now, where I can cut the cheese, pick my nose, and whip my willy out and pee whenever, wherever I'm not liable to be arrested!

Way past that 1000 first dates crapola. Even if you've 'dated' for years, it's not for a year, maybe two living together full time under the same roof, before you see (or find out about) almost all of the other's behaviors, idiosyncrasies...

I let her eat the grapes from my bowl. After all, she peeled them and her fanning me with the palm fronds takes a lot of energy....

You fellas are damn lucky this site isn't SHOW and tell, never mind, brought to you live, in  "Smellovision"!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:43:48 AM by robert angel »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »
You are missing something.  From the colombian perspective,  you are being a typical gringo jodido. You're applying gringo logic to her culture. Plenty of our culture seems rude to them too...

Offline Calipro

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
In Colombia, especially on the coast, you are considered egoista if you don't share...

I don't share and often tell her I don't want the food she is trying to put in my mouth...must be why my girlfriend calls me creido from time to time.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »

I don't share and often tell her I don't want the food she is trying to put in my mouth...must be why my girlfriend calls me creido from time to time.
Creido, egoista, i get called those and more...

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 03:33:01 PM »
You are missing something.  From the colombian perspective,  you are being a typical gringo jodido. You're applying gringo logic to her culture. Plenty of our culture seems rude to them too...

Yeah like telling to foch off (haga la vaca) when they expect the gringo.to.pay for 6 people

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:38:56 PM »
Creido, egoista, i get called those and more...

Or she could be saying malcriado..

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:38:56 PM »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 05:57:48 PM »
Or she could be saying malcriado..
Been called that too. Malcriado, maleducado...

Offline Fuzzyone

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 08:04:45 PM »
A quick look online and it appears people are all over the place on this topic. Some say within family it's OK, others don't. Some say it's normal amongst gourmets. Others say 'with permission only'.

Curious, I just spent a few minutes, but I didn't see anything tied into it being more common in certain cultures, but I bet it is.

Does your wife take home the uneaten food she ordered?

After all these years, my wife (and even me) is still appalled at how many people take a few bites and leave an expensive meal, enough to feed a whole 3rd world family. People who eat a couple plates at a buffet, load a third plate with prime rib, shrimp, etc and walk out, leaving it. Sad and stupid.

I told my wife to stop giving money to all the beggars--that our city us a magnet for them as they can get a bed and a meal for free, even if they have to be back on the street by 6AM. More often than not, the $$ goes for alcohol and drugs. Besides these 'down and outs' are often smoking cigarettes, some even have a dog, etc. But if they look especially forlorn, my wife usually won't give them money anymore but after we eat, she'll peek out to see if the hobo is still there so she can order a 'meal to go' for the person. It about kills me sometimes, but it's part of what she feels is her Christian obligation, so I don't get all pissy. Besides, as I pointed out out, just about every place in town us hiring about now, I try to explain.

It seems most common among upper class females. We sat next to two very well dressed, slender women at a nice restaurant. They talked continuously for the better part of an hour and then, barely having touched their food, (and it was an excellent place) got up and left it there cold. Maybe it was a status contest, I dunno.

My wife and I routinely try each other's food at restaurants. When out with my boys, it's unusual, but not unheard of.

Well yes she will take threat of her salad home with her... The reason I asked was she was out with my two grandkids and ordered a salad as usual trying to lose weight, she then got mad because neither kid wanted her eating their food french fries and ice cream for the other. She came home all pissed at them and then was mad at me because I told her if she wanted french fries so bad she should have ordered them.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »

Well yes she will take threat of her salad home with her... The reason I asked was she was out with my two grandkids and ordered a salad as usual trying to lose weight, she then got mad because neither kid wanted her eating their food french fries and ice cream for the other. She came home all pissed at them and then was mad at me because I told her if she wanted french fries so bad she should have ordered them.

Salads, LOL. My wife's on a mission to lose a few pounds herself. Kills me to order a 20 oz plank of prime rib, (she WILL devour a few slices of that from my portion) a near foot ball sized baked potato w/ butter n sour cream PLUS a salad with ranch and Italian dressing. Sometimes a side thrown in. Then, she orders a grilled chicken Caesar salad, with dressing on the SIDE, which she barely touches.

Gotta hand it to the little lady on finishing her food though.

But when we're at an ethnic eating event or just a pull the stops out buffet, she out eats me two to one. A total neat nik the whole time, whereas I usually end up wearing some of my meal.

Her girlfriends absolutely can't believe it, wondering why she's not the size of a double wide trailer.

They go out once a month for 'girls birthday night out' and I knew it was on this Cuban places menu this month and encouraged her to 'go for it', but it was a huge, cooked whole red snapper, you had to see it--the thing was three pounds if it was an ounce, and in 40 minutes, it, the black beans, rice and plantains, were ALL gone.

I almost felt sorry for the fish.

Now she's 'juicing' (no, Elex, stop thinking like that) taking fresh fruits, veggies and making these sludge like drinks. I try and be a sport and quaff some down, but she adds stuff like turmeric, and chia (pet) seeds and like Kermit the Frog sings, 'It's NOT easy being green'...

I've got her away from freaky colored, 'healthier' pasta (I can't roll with green lasagna or spaghetti) and told her that as we have no health need, to get over the 'gluten free' kick.

But she'll cut sugar, salt and oil amounts on recipes, to make them healthier. I think I'm going to burn her Filipino passport if she bakes instead of oil fries lumpia (Asian egg rolls) one more time.

Baking eludes her still, thirteen years later after she as the instructions said, first put the Pilsbury frozen, slice n bake chocolate chip cookies in the oven for 12 minutes.

Problem was, it was the MICROWAVE oven, which was still quite novel to her at the time. At least she learned about smoke detectors that day, so two for one, I guess.

She's still trying to to get banana bread and corn bread right, but without a spec more oil or sugar than necessary. And here in Georgia, if you can't fix corn bread and sweet tea, it's against the law, I think.

Her intentions are good, but she's killing me with this healthy stuff!

But jest aside, she's actually become a pretty good cook overall and does 90% of the cooking. We typically eat out Friday night and maybe a couple of other times if we're 'out and about', but whether it's Italian dishes, stews, really a lot of styles and dishes, she's come a million miles.

GTG, she's finished stripping and rewaxing (no, Elex, NOT what you're thinking) the kitchen floor and has a plate full of peeled tangerines for our evening repast...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:14:42 AM by robert angel »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 01:51:09 AM »
My wife did that until I started eating very spicy food. I love spicy hot food, my wife does not. It did not take her long to stop that silly habit. How do you like those apples....laced with ghost peppers.....?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:53:18 AM by Researcher »
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
Interesting topic. I have a female friend I like to talk to about things like this because she's always very honest with respect to women's true motives and intentions. First off, if you're just getting to know a girl and she does this, it's usually one of women's many tests. They're basically trying to gauge whether or not you're a generous person. Are you willing to share something...something very personal that you specifically asked for, with someone that already has their own version of the same thing. This is why if you tell a woman she can order anything and as much as she wants, she'll still prefer to take something from your plate. I actually had a buddy who was so annoyed by his girlfriend always doing this, he would get two orders of his entree everything they went as so his girlfriend could pick off his second plate and leave his alone. Further on into relationships and marriage, apparently it's because women can't ever decide what they want to eat. According to my friend it's usually not a question of indecisiveness either. It's because they really want a little of everything. Who knows why women do what they do though? Usually they can't even give you a good explanation if you ask them about things like this.

I personally hate when women do that and I've resorted to doing what Researcher does. "Heavy on the curry and sriracha please." 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:08:15 PM by benjio »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
Been called that too. Malcriado, maleducado...

Coming from costeñas that would  the ultimate hypocritical insult (not speaking of your wife specifically)

Lots of "Psychological Projection going on in Colombia...

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 11:58:41 PM »

Coming from costeñas that would  the ultimate hypocritical insult (not speaking of your wife specifically)

Lots of "Psychological Projection going on in Colombia...
Projection is very common among Colombians. But they're  also some of the most fun loving folks I've ever met....

Offline pachris

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 10:06:40 PM »
Not certain, maybe I'm lucky, my wife won't usually touch my plate.  Occasionally she might show interest in having a sample which I'm happy to share if she asks. 

Now that I think about it, it's not lucky.  She's more of a traditional meat and potatoes kind of person, likes the same type of comfort foods and doesn't like to try new foods.  I generally like to try new food and have things on my plate that she doesn't like or won't try.  Otherwise I'd be pulling the same thing a few of the other posters mentioned. Curry and spice. jajaja
 ;D

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 04:03:17 PM »
ja ja..I was in the  almuerzo of my friends Mom cumpleaños  today, and noticed both of his sisters , in early 40s or  late 30s were taking things off each others plates..

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 06:34:21 AM »
ja ja..I was in the  almuerzo of my friends Mom cumpleaños  today, and noticed both of his sisters , in early 40s or  late 30s were taking things off each others plates..

You were "in the" lunch? (almuerrzo)
Were they using forks and knives?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 06:34:21 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 10:52:21 AM »
You were "in the" lunch? (almuerrzo)
Were they using forks and knives?

Obviously

Offline Fuzzyone

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 10:09:22 PM »
My wife did that until I started eating very spicy food. I love spicy hot food, my wife does not. It did not take her long to stop that silly habit. How do you like those apples....laced with ghost peppers.....?

I can order some of the hottest wings you can find and she will still try to grab then and eat them. She ends up eating one bite and puts it down. Then gets mad because I tell her why did you try to eat that when you knew it was hot as hell. My biggest bitch is if she would finish eating her food then it would not matter as much to me, but she orders a big salad, try to get me to eat it which I do not want and then try to eat the food off my plate my grand kids plates and gets mad when everyone tells her to eat her own food. If she gets her way and eats everyone else's food then she is lucky to eat half of her food. The entire time she is also complaining she has to lose weight and why did I order a big piece of prime rib because I know she does not eat red meat....

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345