It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: The Mayan Calendar and 2012 predictions.  (Read 8608 times)

Offline masonb

• Commercial Member
The Mayan Calendar and 2012 predictions.
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
I don't know if you all know about this but the Mayan civilization supposedly designed the most accurate calendar known to man.  This calendar supposedly ends on December 21, 2012 which has risen questions of whether this will be the end of the world and so on.  I would like to know what you guys think.

-masonlikethejar-

Offline Bear

Re: The Mayan Calendar and 2012 predictions.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:27:09 PM »
The calender ends, why would the world?  The Bible says no man nor angel knows the end.  I believe this is because man controls his destiny so the end will come when we have met all the other biblical prophecies.  Of course many will play on this and kaos will will ensue.  Another part of the calendar is coming into play as we speak, the people turning against current empowered governments.

The Bear Family

Offline william3rd

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
I don't know if you all know about this but the Mayan civilization supposedly designed the most accurate calendar known to man.  This calendar supposedly ends on December 21, 2012 which has risen questions of whether this will be the end of the world and so on.  I would like to know what you guys think.

-masonlikethejar-

It's as good a date as any to pick. . 
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »

Offline sean126

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »
One interpretation that seems to be gaining is....it's suppose to be a new age of enlightenment for mankind.  I don't know about for Sir William The Old, but for the rest of us...we should begin to change our way of thinking and seeing things around this time. 

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »
it's suppose to be a new age of enlightenment for mankind.  I don't know about for Sir William The Old, but for the rest of us...we should begin to change our way of thinking and seeing things around this time. 

enlightenment? WHAT? the average person in the united states is dumb as a box of rocks
how can there be any hope for people that can be led like a herd of sheep?

PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
enlightenment? WHAT? the average person in the united states is dumb as a box of rocks
how can there be any hope for people that can be led like a herd of sheep?

Got that right. Any thinking person who follows what is going on is incensed to the point that you'd like to be part of a mob that marches on Congress and hangs all 535 of them. However the vast majority have no idea what is going on immersed as they are in the nonsense of American life. They deserve everything that's coming to them.

Offline Dave H

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 05:46:43 AM »
I'm not too worried since I am not a Mayan. But I will let my wife know because she kind of looks like one.  ;D

I think some of the remaining Mayans better get busy creating a new calendar so they can keep track of the date. Maybe add some pictures of motorcycles...or better yet, Mayan chicas on motorcycles this time.   :o

All calendars end for you on the day you die anyway...just like it did for the Mayan Ah Ahaual 1329 years ago.

Dave

The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »

I checked my calendar and I discovered that it ends on Dec 31st, 2009!

OH NO! It's the end of the world! 

Offline michaelb

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 02:56:34 PM »
One interpretation that seems to be gaining is....it's suppose to be a new age of enlightenment for mankind. 

That's right, it's going to be the Age of Aquarius!!!

And wasn't Marilyn McCoo a hottie back in 1969?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EegRh8Z4H-o

(even better, or worse, depending on your viewpoint, I still have the album they show at the opening).

Offline Dave H

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »

And wasn't Marilyn McCoo a hottie back in 1969?

Smokin' She still is!

Dave

Offline masonb

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 01:07:17 AM »
I think that there is a bunch of fuss over something that could be really simple.  I like the idea of new human enlightenment but i have some serious lack of faith in humanity as I see some of you would agree, so wonderful as it does sound I think it unlikely.

I would like to know your thoughts however as to WHY in your opinion it does end on that day.  Thats a funny comic Dave but don't you think it kind of coincidental that it ends on the exact day 12/21/12?  The beginning of the winter solstice.  I was wondering if there was any meaning to there only being the numbers 2 and 1 in the equation.  Now if you guys want to get way out there in your ways of evaluating it any way you want to look at those numbers they pretty much always equate to the number 3.  Does that have some biblical weight do you think?  What in your opinions might be the implications of this?

I think that because the Mayan Calander was based on the postion of the stars, and the scientific fact that for us to witness something in space, the event being viewed is typically a delayed depiction of something that actually happened years in the past and it is just now reaching our viewpoint implies that there might have been something witnessed in the stars that for some reason made them stop counting on that date.  What that means I don't think anyone will know until 12/21/12.

Offline Gromit

• Cracking good job!
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 03:36:14 AM »
I think that there is a bunch of fuss over something that could be really simple.    What in your opinions might be the implications of this?

Bagels I tell you, it was bagels!

http://www.myremixvids.com/view/4/apocalypto-spoof/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-x7Fc_to1Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-x7Fc_to1Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:43:20 AM by Gromit »

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:05:14 AM »
Yes, it all has to do with the motion of the stars, or more correctly the precession of the earth's axis - the Platonic year of about 25,900 solar years. Half a Platonic year ago, about 10,500 BCE was a major apocalyptic event that nearly killed off mankind. The Laurentian ice sheet that covered most of North America had been melting for several thousand years, dumped unto the ocean, raising the water level of the seas 400 feet and flooding man's cities and culture. The crust recoiling from the loss of all of that weight, slipped several thousand miles, sliding some parts of Antarctica, then temperate, into the permanent freeze it is in now and freezing mammoths solid in Siberia with undigested tropical vegetables in their stomachs. Many of the animals didn't make it - Mammoths, woolly rhinoceros, dire wolves, saber toothed cats, mylodons, the list goes on and on, and the only men to survive were scattered bands of hunters off in the hills.

The last great catastrophe was by water and it is predicted that the next will be by fire. I've studied the ending of the ice age in some depth, but I don't see any connection to the earth's precession. Arbitrarily picking one point in the platonic year cycle and calling it a beginning is attaching significance to something that is cyclical is weak and mostly unscientific.

According to some like Graham Hancock, survivors of the higher destroyed civilizations, probably from the part of Antarctica, that was once temperate and is now frozen over, passed on their knowledge and have left us clues in the orientations of the pyramids, Chitzen Itza, Angkor Wat and other places. There is some very compelling evidence that there was a higher civilization that disappeared 12,500 years ago and some of their knowledge was passed down.

Trying to distill several dozen books into a couple of paragraphs is impossible, but there have been worldwide catastrophes in the past, there are people who believe that survivors tried to leave clues about the next one, and some believe their predictions are part of the Mayan calender stone. I think the day will come and go with about as much fanfare as Y2K - but I do believe there many things that could kill us all, or most of us off: worldwide vulcanism, asteroid impact, widespread disease, but it's far more likely for us to be heart disease or cancer than any worldwide apocalypse.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:05:14 AM »

Offline masonb

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »
An interesting point.  Any other theories out there?

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
I would like to know your thoughts however as to WHY in your opinion it does end on that day.  Thats a funny comic Dave but don't you think it kind of coincidental that it ends on the exact day 12/21/12?  The beginning of the winter solstice.  I was wondering if there was any meaning to there only being the numbers 2 and 1 in the equation.  Now if you guys want to get way out there in your ways of evaluating it any way you want to look at those numbers they pretty much always equate to the number 3.  Does that have some biblical weight do you think?  What in your opinions might be the implications of this?

But the modern Gregorian calendar didn't exist and the Mayans wouldn't have been aware of it anyways. Similarly the Gregorian Calendar didn't exist when the bible was written so there wouldn't be any biblical significance to the actual numbers. Any meaning associated with the Gregorian dates would be merely coincidental.

From what I've read the Mayan calendar was calculated by starting at the end date and working their way backwards about 5,000 years. There's a rare solar event on the date that holds religious significance to the Mayans. After that, a new age/cycle begins.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:36:35 AM by jm21-2 »

Offline michaelb

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
But the modern Gregorian calendar didn't exist and the Mayans wouldn't have been aware of it anyways. Similarly the Gregorian Calendar didn't exist when the bible was written so there wouldn't be any biblical significance to the actual numbers. Any meaning associated with the Gregorian dates would be merely coincidental.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline Dave H

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 06:27:24 AM »
I'm not too worried since I am an alien and have another planet I can move to.  ;D If you see me packing up and leaving in a hurry LOOK OUT MAN!

Dave

Offline Bear

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 06:39:17 AM »
Hey!!!  I saw that guy in Roswell.  He looks better now cause there he was lying all cut up on the operating table.

The Bear Family

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
According to some like Graham Hancock, survivors of the higher destroyed civilizations, probably from the part of Antarctica, that was once temperate and is now frozen over, passed on their knowledge and have left us clues in the orientations of the pyramids, Chitzen Itza, Angkor Wat and other places. There is some very compelling evidence that there was a higher civilization that disappeared 12,500 years ago and some of their knowledge was passed down.
Wait a minute, I saw that!  It was at the beginning of Aliens vs Predators.  Way cool.  Or was it Stargate.

Oh, anyway, there is a good article about that whole Mayan calendar thing in Universe Today.  Check it out.  The calendar rolls over back to 0.0.0.0.0 in 2012 OR sometime in the 8th millennium depending on whether the the Long Cycle is base-13 or base-20 like the rest of the minor cycles.  Given that calendars are human constructions, we should let the descendants of the Mayans decide that.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864