It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Medellin Trip Report (Sept. 2016)  (Read 14581 times)

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Medellin Trip Report (Sept. 2016)
« on: September 09, 2016, 05:34:42 PM »
I spent four nights / three days in Medellin. My first time there and I loved it. A very short trip but I've been wanting to see what some call Colombia's "best" city for sometime now. It did not disappoint. No matter how hard I try I can never seem to make these trip reports shorter.

Pre-Trip Preparation:
1. Four Private Spanish practice/refresher sessions via Skype with a native speaker (total cost: $45)
2. Two Private Dance refresher classes (Salsa/Bachata & Reggaeton) (total cost: $200)
3. Read/Research on what to visit as a tourist and where to meet women

The City
To borrow from a travel guide, "Medellin packs a punch of a city twice its size." The city sits roughly 4,900 feet (or 1,500 meters) above sea level and it sits in a narrow valley surrounded by lush green picturesque mountains. The city has a clean and safe Metro, a near perfect climate, a stunning physical setting, a pulsating nightlife and of course beautiful women.  The airport is way outside of town and as you descend down the mountain toward the city center you are shrouded in green landscapes with glimpses of the city below.

Hard to make broad brush judgments in just three days but I found the people to be very friendly and the customer service was very good. I am just a Colombian virgin compared to a lot of the guys on this site but when you read the (troubled) history of Medellin and you see the city as it is today you can't help but be impressed. 

Here is a shot of the city from my hotel's rooftop:

The Women
Given my preference for darker skin I am partial to the women on the coast and in Cali. But I was truly blown away by the beauty of the women in Medellin. Plenty of variety there given that the city is a magnet drawing people/women from all over the country.    Los Angeles, Miami and Rio de Janeiro all have their fair share of beautiful women. From my very non-scientific personal observation, Medellin has them all beat on a per capita basis. Of course, my standards also drop a bit each year as I get older. JaJaJa.

Logistics
I ended up staying in El Poblado a few blocks west of Parque Lleras. My first time in Medellin so I figured I might as well stay there. Parque Lleras is definitely prepago central but once you learn the lay of the land you can avoid that scene. I spent most of my time away from Parque Lleras...in other parts of El Poblado, Laureles, Envigado, etc. 

The Rio Sur Mall in El Poblado has some nice clubs/bars including a live music venue called Kukaramakara. Great live music there (salsa mixed in with rock in espanol and traditional Colombian music). Also, plenty of local Colombianas you can dance with. Great musicians and singers. 

Exploring the City and Meeting Women
I rode the Metro, saw some museums, the Plaza Botero and rode the Metro Cable which connects the metro/city to the "comunas" (or slums) up in the hillsides. Did not have time to make it to Guatape outside the city. Hopefully next time.

I only met one lady via Colombian Cupid. Spent the rest of my time just meeting women moving around the city. The lady on Colombian Cupid was 29, college degree and lives alone in Envigado.  Nice area. She looked cute on her profile but she was not as cute in person. Definitely not bad though. I actually met up with her two times but at the end of the day I was just not feeling the chemistry. Not a must have for me but she was not into Salsa or what I'll call traditional Latin music (Cumbia, Bachata, etc.). Her thing is Electronica music.  Very nice lady though. 

She did give me the female's perspective of Cupid. She's been on the site for 4 months. I was the 3rd or 4th guy she has met from the site. I was the FIRST guy to not think she was a Prepago and to take the whole thing seriously. Her profile is very tasteful and classy. No half-naked photos or anything like that.

My time was very limited but I did meet women on the Metro, in malls, at sidewalk cafes and even in night clubs. Malls that I went to during the day include: Unicentro in Laureles, Los Molinos in Belen, Oviedo in El Poblado and Santa Fe in El Poblado.

Had a date in the Los Molinos Mall in Belen with a 33 year old dentist. I met her at a night club in Rio Sur in El Poblado. Cocktails can blind a guy and in the light of day I was just not that attracted to her. Though my cab driver thought she was "muy linda"...jajaja.

My biggest regret of the trip occurred when I was at the Los Molinos Mall waiting for my date with the dentist. I saw this stunning girl working the sales floor of this car dealership. I approached her and starting making small talk but she was there chatting with a friend who I think was visiting her. So I left without going for the number. Big mistake on my part. Will not let that happen again.

The friendliness of people in Medellin was apparent. On the metro I met these two 20 year old chicas. They asked me where I was from and where I was going? I told them I was heading out to check out the Metro Cable. They were heading in the same direction so they took me under their wing and made sure I got to where I was going. The cuter one of the two gave me her number and we planned to try to meet for a date on my last day but turned out she couldn't make it. No worries since I am not looking to get serious with a 20 year old.

On my last day I had an early dinner at a sidewalk cafe along Parque Lleras. On my way out I said hello to these two Colombianas who were sitting at a table having drinks. Turns out they were two 20-something sisters visiting from Manizales. They invited me to sit down to join them for drinks. Both were real nice and I can see they have strong family ties. They both have a small tattoo on their inner forearm which reads in English: Together Forever.

The 22-year old sister gave me her number and gave me an open invite to visit her in Manizales. She has a fantastic figure (at least to my tastes). Works out five times a week and it shows. Was not so attracted to her face. At 22 years old she is too young for me to consider for marriage anyway. 

I also met a 26 year old nurse at the airport in Bogota. She is from Barranquilla but lives in Bogota. She told me she is planning to move to Canada in 2017.  I guess there is a nursing shortage in Canada? She is pretty cute and petite which I like but she just has no curves to entice me. We exchanged contact info. She had just come back from Medellin for a weekend of partying.

Summary:
Trip was too short to expect much. Knew that going in. Planning a longer trip later this year (to BQ). Medellin is a great city. I wish Maria and/or Jamie had an operation there. A guy with enough time can meet nice ladies there. All the photos in this post will be deleted in due course. 

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:47:46 AM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
Re: Medellin Trip Report (Sept. 2016)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »
I spent four nights / three days in Medellin. My first time there and I loved it. A very short trip but I've been wanting to see what some call Colombia's "best" city for sometime now. It did not disappoint. No matter how hard I try I can never seem to make these trip reports shorter.

Pre-Trip Preparation:
1. Four Private Spanish practice/refresher sessions via Skype with a native speaker (total cost: $45)
2. Two Private Dance refresher classes (Salsa/Bachata & Reggaeton) (total cost: $200)
3. Read/Research on what to visit as a tourist and where to meet women

The City
To borrow from a travel guide, "Medellin packs a punch of a city twice its size." The city sits roughly 4,900 feet (or 1,500 meters) above sea level and it sits in a narrow valley surrounded by lush green picturesque mountains. The city has a clean and safe Metro, a near perfect climate, a stunning physical setting, a pulsating nightlife and of course beautiful women.  The airport is way outside of town and as you descend down the mountain toward the city center you are shrouded in green landscapes with glimpses of the city below.

Hard to make broad brush judgments in just three days but I found the people to be very friendly and the customer service was very good. I am just a Colombian virgin compared to a lot of the guys on this site but when you read the (troubled) history of Medellin and you see the city as it is today you can't help but be impressed. 

Here is a shot of the city from my hotel's rooftop:

The Women
Given my preference for darker skin I am partial to the women on the coast and in Cali. But I was truly blown away by the beauty of the women in Medellin. Plenty of variety there given that the city is a magnet drawing people/women from all over the country.    Los Angeles, Miami and Rio de Janeiro all have their fair share of beautiful women. From my very non-scientific personal observation, Medellin has them all beat on a per capita basis. Of course, my standards also drop a bit each year as I get older. JaJaJa.

Logistics
I ended up staying in El Poblado a few blocks west of Parque Lleras. My first time in Medellin so I figured I might as well stay there. Parque Lleras is definitely prepago central but once you learn the lay of the land you can avoid that scene. I spent most of my time away from Parque Lleras...in other parts of El Poblado, Laureles, Envigado, etc. 

The Rio Sur Mall in El Poblado has some nice clubs/bars including a live music venue called Kukaramakara. Great live music there (salsa mixed in with rock in espanol and traditional Colombian music). Also, plenty of local Colombianas you can dance with. Great musicians and singers. 

Exploring the City and Meeting Women
I rode the Metro, saw some museums, the Plaza Botero and rode the Metro Cable which connects the metro/city to the "comunas" (or slums) up in the hillsides. Did not have time to make it to Guatape outside the city. Hopefully next time.

I only met one lady via Colombian Cupid. Spent the rest of my time just meeting women moving around the city. The lady on Colombian Cupid was 29, college degree and lives alone in Envigado.  Nice area. She looked cute on her profile but she was not as cute in person. Definitely not bad though. I actually met up with her two times but at the end of the day I was just not feeling the chemistry. Not a must have for me but she was not into Salsa or what I'll call traditional Latin music (Cumbia, Bachata, etc.). Her thing is Electronica music.  Very nice lady though. 

She did give me the female's perspective of Cupid. She's been on the site for 4 months. I was the 3rd or 4th guy she has met from the site. I was the FIRST guy to not think she was a Prepago and to take the whole thing seriously. Her profile is very tasteful and classy. No half-naked photos or anything like that.

Here is her profile photo:

My time was very limited but I did meet women on the Metro, in malls, at sidewalk cafes and even in night clubs. Malls that I went to during the day include: Unicentro in Laureles, Los Molinos in Belen, Oviedo in El Poblado and Santa Fe in El Poblado.

Had a date in the Los Molinos Mall in Belen with a 33 year old dentist. I met her at a night club in Rio Sur in El Poblado. Cocktails can blind a guy and in the light of day I was just not that attracted to her. Though my cab driver thought she was "muy linda"...jajaja.

My biggest regret of the trip occurred when I was at the Los Molinos Mall waiting for my date with the dentist. I saw this stunning girl working the sales floor of this car dealership. I approached her and starting making small talk but she was there chatting with a friend who I think was visiting her. So I left without going for the number. Big mistake on my part. Will not let that happen again.

The friendliness of people in Medellin was apparent. On the metro I met these two 20 year old chicas. They asked me where I was from and where I was going? I told them I was heading out to check out the Metro Cable. They were heading in the same direction so they took me under their wing and made sure I got to where I was going. The cuter one of the two gave me her number and we planned to try to meet for a date on my last day but turned out she couldn't make it. No worries since I am not looking to get serious with a 20 year old.

This is a shot of her:

On my last day I had an early dinner at a sidewalk cafe along Parque Lleras. On my way out I said hello to these two Colombianas who were sitting at a table having drinks. Turns out they were two 20-something sisters visiting from Manizales. They invited me to sit down to join them for drinks. Both were real nice and I can see they have strong family ties. They both have a small tattoo on their inner forearm which reads in English: Together Forever.

The 22-year old sister gave me her number and gave me an open invite to visit her in Manizales. She has a fantastic figure (at least to my tastes). Works out five times a week and it shows. Was not so attracted to her face. At 22 years old she is too young for me to consider for marriage anyway.  Here is a shot of her:

I also met a 26 year old nurse at the airport in Bogota. She is from Barranquilla but lives in Bogota. She told me she is planning to move to Canada in 2017.  I guess there is a nursing shortage in Canada? She is pretty cute and petite which I like but she just has no curves to entice me. We exchanged contact info. She had just come back from Medellin for a weekend of partying.

Here is a shot of her:

Summary:
Trip was too short to expect much. Knew that going in. Planning a longer trip later this year (to BQ). Medellin is a great city. I wish Maria and/or Jamie had an operation there. A guy with enough time can meet nice ladies there. All the photos in this post will be deleted in due course.
Helluva trip report Hector. Thanks for sharing. I think if you give either Maria or Jaime's agencies a try in Barranquilla you may get the most bang for your buck...

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:15:28 PM »
I think if you give either Maria or Jaime's agencies a try in Barranquilla you may get the most bang for your buck...

Yep, that is the plan.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:15:28 PM »

Offline Gavan

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 04:21:29 AM »
Not a must have for me but she was not into Salsa or what I'll call traditional Latin music (Cumbia, Bachata, etc.). Her thing is Electronica music. 

What you call "traditional Latin music" is actually known as "música tropical" (tropical music) in Latin America: salsa, merengue, cumbia, bachata, vallenato, etc. They call it that because almost all of these genres come from the caribbean region.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BAsica_tropical

Anyway nice report, thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:26:22 AM by Gavan »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 06:32:37 AM »

Good interesting report, thanks.

Hope the nurse likes Partying in -40C in Yellowknife, because thats where they send immigrant nurses without any Canadian experience.If she is really going there.

Good  that all those girls gave you their number, and good you had the balls to approach them and make small talk. The next step would be to make more connections and dates. You really weren't there long enough.

The Taxi drivers  and a lot of Colombians seem to like all the women..kind of like connoisseurs of women. We egringos are too picky..but then we dont knock em up and leave them as much.

In reality a barrio boy will screw anything..even ones we would find down rite ugly..but marry them or support the kids..forget.
Of course you go up in the estratos this attitude improves, but most upper estrato  Colombians may support their family, but will be after younger women, and either eave the wife, (And support the kids) or just have mosas on the side.

Anyway off the topic.sorry
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:51:12 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »

Cumbia and Other Tropical music has the same steps as salsa.

I f you can dance Salsa, Merengue and Bachata, you pretty well cover all the bases. Vallenato is its own breed.

Regaton is just dry humping.

What you call "traditional Latin music" is actually known as "música tropical" (tropical music) in Latin America: salsa, merengue, cumbia, bachata, vallenato, etc. They call it that because almost all of these genres come from the caribbean region.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BAsica_tropical

Anyway nice report, thanks for sharing.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »

I f you can dance Salsa, Merengue and Bachata, you pretty well cover all the bases. Vallenato is its own breed.

Regaton is just dry humping.

Hm, maybe they have certain similarities but they are definitely not the same. Even salsa itself has several different styles.

Although I must say I have never taken dancing classes so I am no expert. I just know the basics of these dances which is enough most of the time.

The music definitely has lots of differences. Bachata is really slow for example, while merengue is very fast. Cumbia (my favorite genre) can be fast or slow depending on the sub-genre and the country where it is made.

Reggaeton can be danced in lots of different ways. The dirty version of the reggaeton "dance" is called "perreo" (as you say "dry humping" or "grinding"). But most people just improvise when dancing to it and it isn't always dirty.

Most reggaeton videos use dance moves similar to hip hop or Jamaican dancehall (since reggaeton is basically a combination of these genres).

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:44:41 AM by Gavan »

Offline Dan Las Vegas

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »
Great trip report Hector! I'm glad you liked Medellin, it really gets a bad rap on this board, but is still my favorite city in Colombia. Looking forward to reading your next trip report!

Dan LV

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 08:09:45 AM »

Pre-Trip Preparation:

1 hour each?????   If so, that's daylight robbery lol

In Buenos Aires, they have private Tango classes for $25 per 1 - 1 1/2 hours

Offline Cherub

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »
Excellent trip report.....congratulations on your journey. I haven´t been in Medellin for a few years, but I remember the vibe was very good. I´m with you though, I prefer the darker tones of the ladies from the north coast and Cali, more exotic and lovely to touch.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »
Yea, have to get down there and see Medilin, as well as some of the coastal cities, are on the list. Traveling with the wife, a good pair of wrap around eyeglasses are definitely in order!
But besides the cities and the people there, there's quite a bit of natural beauty-- 'eco tourism' if you will, to take in.

I don't know why and it's not just the Olympics, but Brazil's not that high on the list as it was, but would like to see parts of Peru and Ecuador too.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »

1 hour each? ??? ?   If so, that's daylight robbery lol

I pay 240 mil pesos for 12 hours of lessons What does that work out to?

$8 an hour.

I remember in Canada I was paying $50 CDN ($40 an hour) to some gringa who spent time in Cuba wand Married and divorced a Cubano that married her for the visa (sounds familiar?)

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 11:50:43 AM »
Great trip report Hector! I'm glad you liked Medellin, it really gets a bad rap on this board, but is still my favorite city in Colombia. Looking forward to reading your next trip report!
Dan LV

I agree. The bad rap Medellin gets on the board does not measure up to what I saw in my admittedly short trip. Definitely my favorite Colombian city thus far. If I were to move to Colombia and could pick any city in which to live I would pick Medellin.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 11:50:43 AM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 12:12:55 PM »

Gavan is right, they are not the same steps. I've been dancing salsa, bachata, etc. off and on since 2009 (including group and private lessons). They share certain similarities (4/4 time) but they are definitely not the same.

Hm, maybe they have certain similarities but they are definitely not the same. Even salsa itself has several different styles.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »

The Taxi drivers  and a lot of Colombians seem to like all the women..kind of like connoisseurs of women. We egringos are too picky...

Yeah, I basically agree. If you saw my Taxi driver you'd know the guy probably thinks Melissa McCarthy is hot. JaJa.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »

1 hour each?????   If so, that's daylight robbery lol

The "private" lessons I took were in Los Angeles, not Colombia. Nothing is cheap here except the sunshine.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 02:32:10 PM »
I don't know why and it's not just the Olympics, but Brazil's not that high on the list as it was, but would like to see parts of Peru and Ecuador too.

What parts of Peru would you like to visit?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 03:54:59 PM »

Should've said earlier----great trip report. We don't get many of them anymore. I think someone here sees another 'Joe' actually doing it, means he's more likely to think of actually doing it himself than by merely clicking  thru sites and images on google.

Really haven't done my homework or figured the prices and logistics on traveling to and around Peru, but Cuzco, taking the train to and fro Machu Pichu and later on flying to the Amazon/rainforest area look attractive, but being far apart, that'd probably require at least a week to do it halfway right, I guess. After that and a day recovering from travel and altitude changes, Miraflores for 4 or 5 days would probably be welcome, if I'm not bug bitten and sick from something or the other. Sort of a country--city mix.

But I'm the first to admit I really don't know diddly about the trip. That's part of the charm----it's not Orlando, FL, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:00:26 PM by robert angel, Reason: Props »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
Should've said earlier----great trip report. We don't get many of them anymore. I think someone here sees another 'Joe' actually doing it, means he's more likely to think of actually doing it himself than by merely clicking  thru sites and images on google.

Really haven't done my homework or figured the prices and logistics on traveling to and around Peru, but Cuzco, taking the train to and fro Machu Pichu and later on flying to the Amazon/rainforest area look attractive, but being far apart, that'd probably require at least a week to do it halfway right, I guess. After that and a day recovering from travel and altitude changes, Miraflores for 4 or 5 days would probably be welcome, if I'm not bug bitten and sick from something or the other. Sort of a country--city mix.

But I'm the first to admit I really don't know diddly about the trip. That's part of the charm----it's not Orlando, FL, that's for sure.

Ok cool.l. Yeah of course you can't go to Peru without visiting Cuzco and Machu Picchu.

The most popular destination in the amazon is Iquitos.You can only reach it by plane from Lima. I have never been there myself but it looks interesting.

Yeah, you should definitely check out Lima as well, at least for a couple of days. You can find some amazing, world class restaurants there.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:00:30 PM by Gavan »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 11:47:17 PM »

As for me, if it weren't for women, I would like to visit (country in the Western Coast):

Peru - Machu Picchu, Cuzco & Lake Titicaca
Bolivia - Salar de Uyundi
Ecuador - Galapagos Islands
Chile - Easter Island,  San Pedro de Atacama, Torres del Paine

Offline creeper1

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 12:10:11 AM »
Fair play to you for approaching women in real life (probably likely to be better than those online)

It's something I struggle with myself.

Too self conscious and when you throw in the fact that I am doing it in another language that I am only beginner-intermediate in.

Well I chicken out most of the time.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 04:18:27 AM »
I NEVER said Bachata..its different.I said Salsa and Cumbia. Salsa is 123..456 or Caleña 1234..4578 with the extra Little tap thrown in on 4 and 8..Cumbia is the same as simple Salsa..at least thats how I and all my partners have danced it..Bacahata is,1234, with the inside or back leg doingthe tap with the hip swerve on 4
Gavan is right, they are not the same steps. I've been dancing salsa, bachata, etc. off and on since 2009 (including group and private lessons). They share certain similarities (4/4 time) but they are definitely not the same.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:26:28 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 04:30:24 AM »

As for me, if it weren't for women, I would like to visit (country in the Western Coast):

Peru - Machu Picchu, Cuzco & Lake Titicaca

Yeah those are the most popular tourist destinations in Peru. However, my personal favorite part of Peru is "el Norte" (the north): Trujillo, Chiclayo, Piura, Máncora. I like the culture in the north more (a bit more mixed/mestizo than the indigenous culture of southern Peru).

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 04:30:24 AM »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 05:05:52 AM »
I NEVER said Bachata..its different.I said Salsa and Cumbia. Salsa is 123..456 or Caleña 1234..4578 with the extra Little tap thrown in on 4 and 8..Cumbia is the same as simple Salsa..at least thats how I and all my partners have danced it..Bacahata is,1234, with the inside or back leg doingthe tap with the hip swerve on 4

Probably depends on the style of Salsa. It would make sense that Colombian Salsa would have at least some influence from Cumbia since it is a Colombian dance.

I am pretty sure that Cumbia also has several different variations depending on the country though. Cumbia is actually much more popular than Salsa in a lot of countries of Latin America including Mexico, Peru, Chile and even Argentina. I hear it is actually more popular outside of Colombia now, since Colombians mostly prefer Salsa, Vallenato and Reggaeton.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:08:12 AM by Gavan »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »
Hi Hector,

Thanks for the superb trip report. It seems you would benefit greatly from having an extended stay in Colombia...like 3 weeks or more.  Too bad work life often gets in the way like that!  You seem to be doing many of the right things, so when the right lady does appear, you will be ready in many respects.

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »

Dan LV

Ditto on that. I'm just waiting for Mudd to comment and slam everything you said.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 12:14:57 PM »

Yeah those are the most popular tourist destinations in Peru. However, my personal favorite part of Peru is "el Norte" (the north): Trujillo, Chiclayo, Piura, Máncora. I like the culture in the north more (a bit more mixed/mestizo than the indigenous culture of southern Peru).

I want to see Machu Pichu before it gets more restricted as to where and how close you can go to  different areas there. I got lucky at places like Newgrange, Ireland, and Chichen itza in Mexico's Yucatan, where I was all over and inside places, like the pyramid--last time I heard, you can't go on the orginal pyramid steps because people were falling down. Stupid, but I swam in the sacred  cenotes too, roping in and out--there were no steps then.

Peru has the oldest buildings in America and the only building site outside Europe in the world's 10 oldest. The incredibly small amount of rain they get in places means things can last almost forever. Contrast that to the Amazonian rain forest. But a lot of cool places are far off the beaten path there.The Nazca lines are interesting, but probably cost $400 a person to take the 90 minutes or so to fly over and around. I bet on a slow day, if you hang around, you can catch a deal.

I like old stuff. I have thousands of pre-Columbian artifacts, some up to 25,000 years old, all from the south eastern USA. If I can sell them, preferably in one or a few groups to a museum or someone likeminded, I'd probably sell them, my house, all the things that've come to own me instead of the other way around and just travel. Probably add on ESOL certification in case I get bored and want to do that in different parts of the world, although hanging up the Ole 9 to 5 routine while I'm still able bodied is what I'm looking forward to in the next 2 to 3 years. I've put the time in, time to cash in most of my chips and enjoy. Can't take it with me once I'm dead, can I?

Offline Gavan

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
Peru has the oldest buildings in America and the only building site outside Europe in the world's 10 oldest. The incredibly small amount of rain they get in places means things can last almost forever. Contrast that to the Amazonian rain forest. But a lot of cool places are far off the beaten path there.The Nazca lines are interesting, but probably cost $400 a person to take the 90 minutes or so to fly over and around. I bet on a slow day, if you hang around, you can catch a deal.

I don't know where you got that information, but flying over Nazca isn't THAT expensive. I went with my girlfriend and we definitely did not pay $800 for it. I am pretty sure it is more like $100 per person (depending on where you buy tickets).

Here is an offer I just found on Google:
http://www.alasperuanas.com/

Although maybe it is more expensive if you take a longer flight.

Just make sure you don't get air sick easily because I got extremely sick during that flight (nearly threw up) and I usually never get sick on planes ;D .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:04:39 PM by Gavan »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »

I don't know where you got that information, but flying over Nazca isn't THAT expensive. I went with my girlfriend and we definitely did not pay $800 for it. I am pretty sure it is more like $100 per person (depending on where you buy tickets).

Here is an offer I just found on Google:
http://www.alasperuanas.com/

Although maybe it is more expensive if you take a longer flight.

Just make sure you don't get air sick easily because I got extremely sick during that flight (nearly threw up) and I usually never get sick on planes ;D .

What you say is heartening. I had just looked at a few sites, the first ones to pop up online really and some were even more expensive. Basically I was just looking at the 'skin of the onion' not digging, not peeling deeper layers for deals, not getting a real feel. That's why I indicated 'on a slow day I bet if you hang around you can catch a deal'.

Seems like the Nazca air tour with all the turns involved, makes air sickness pretty common.

We rarely book 'excursions' aside from the flight, cruise, ride etc ahead of time, because they're usually a rip off. Been on too many where I didn't want to ask others what they'd paid, because if they paid the 'agency' rate, I knew they'd probably been ripped off.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
Fair play to you for approaching women in real life (probably likely to be better than those online)

It's something I struggle with myself.

Too self conscious and when you throw in the fact that I am doing it in another language that I am only beginner-intermediate in.

Well I chicken out most of the time.

Yeah, I hear you. It can be intimidating trying to approach women in your non-native tongue. Most of the time in Latin America when I've tried this I've been treated very nicely (even when they were not available or interested).

That is one reason I am still kicking myself for not finishing my conversation with the very striking girl working the auto sales floor at the Los Molinos mall.  I should have asked her for her phone number or asked for a date!

If I was relegated to a world where I could only rely on online sources for meeting women (either in the U.S. or in Latin America) I would shoot myself.  Social circle is the best if you have that. I don't have that in Latin America. So cold approaches are a necessity.

My last time in Colombia was three years ago and I did not meet anyone I liked online but I did meet a nice Calena at a sidewalk café. She was a sweet girl and we had a lot of fun together. I think a guy that does not try cold approaches is missing out on a lot of opportunities.

Here is a photo of the Calena I met in Cali. I could never meet a girl like this online (or it would be a very rare circumstance to do so):

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:39:11 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »

Ditto on that. I'm just waiting for Mudd to comment and slam everything you said.

Nothing wrong with the women there. There are more types of women available than you could shake a stick at..from your prepago, webcam girl to your born again christian no sex before marriage and everything in between.

Whats wrong with Medellin is the crowds, pollution,crime , trancones, and all the foreign tourists and Expats hanging around Poblado, and now more and more, Envigado and Sabaneta, including your scuzzy   marijuanero and periquiero backpackers (and cigarette  smoking Euros  polluting the air-puke!!)  and your scuzzy middle aged and older pervert foreigners going after the drugs and hookers.

But thank God a lot of these types are getting wasted or arrested lately...

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:56:33 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 02:45:16 PM »

Whats wrong with Medellin is the crowds, pollution,crime , trancones, and all the foreign tourists and Expats hanging around Poblado, and now more and more, Envigado and Sabaneta, including your scuzzy   marijuanero and periquiero backpackers (and cigarette  smoking Euros  polluting the air-puke!!)  and your scuzzy middle aged and older pervert foreigners going after the drugs and hookers.

But thank God a lot of these types are getting wasted or arrested lately...

You are complaining about the crowds? Medellin is the second most populous city in Colombia. What did you expect...to have the place to yourself?

You are like the guy who goes to the best restaurant in town on a Saturday night and complains that it is too crowded!!

If you want to complain about crime try going to Caracas or San Pedro Sula. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

Medellin's homicide rate in 2015 was half the rate in New Orleans in the U.S.A. Not saying it is Disneyland but let's keep things in context.
http://caracol.com.co/emisora/2016/01/03/medellin/1451838642_947479.html

Also, other than Parque Lleras I did not see a ton of gringo tourists. I know the city is getting discovered and gaining more visitors each year (as it should given what it has to offer). However, if you want to be overwhelmed by gringo tourists try Cancun, Mexico City or Costa Rica.

We better enjoy it while it lasts because tourism is on the rise in Colombia and if the peace agreement is passed by voters in October it is likely to increase even more....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:48:24 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 07:59:55 PM »

By: Nate Scott   | September 23, 2015 7:30 am      
Yankees legend Yogi Berra, who passed away in 2014, would have been 92 years old 9/23/16. An 18-time All-Star, Berra appeared in 14 World Series as a member of the Yankees and won 10 of them.

Berra’s contributions to MLB history are incalculable, but his legacy might be even better remembered for what he contributed to American language.

Berra-isms (colloquial expressions that lack logic) are now countless, Here are 50 of our favorites.

1. When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

2. You can observe a lot by just watching.

3. It ain’t over till it’s over.

4. It’s like déjà vu all over again.

5. NO ONE GOES THERE NOWADAYS, IT'S TOO CROWDED

6. Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

7. A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

8. Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.

9. We made too many wrong mistakes.

10. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

11. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

12. You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.

13. I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

14. Never answer an anonymous letter.

15. Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.

16. How can you think and hit at the same time?

17. The future ain’t what it used to be.

18. I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.

19. It gets late early out here.

20. If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them.

21. We have deep depth.

22. Pair up in threes.

23. Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.

24. You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.

25. All pitchers are liars or crybabies.

USA TODAY Sports
USA TODAY Sports

26. Even Napoleon had his Watergate.

27. Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.

28. He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.

29. It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much.

30. I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won twenty-five games. What I don’t understand is how he lost five.

31. I don’t know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads.

32. I’m a lucky guy and I’m happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary.

33. I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.

34. In baseball, you don’t know nothing.

35. I never blame myself when I’m not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn’t my fault that I’m not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?

36. I never said most of the things I said.

37. It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.

38. If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.

39. I wish everybody had the drive he (Joe DiMaggio) had. He never did anything wrong on the field. I’d never seen him dive for a ball, everything was a chest-high catch, and he never walked off the field.

40. So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face.

41. Take it with a grin of salt.

42. (On the 1973 Mets) We were overwhelming underdogs.

43. The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

44. Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.

45. Mickey Mantle was a very good golfer, but we weren’t allowed to play golf during the season; only at spring training.

46. You don’t have to swing hard to hit a home run. If you got the timing, it’ll go.

47. I’m lucky. Usually you’re dead to get your own museum, but I’m still alive to see mine.

48. If I didn’t make it in baseball, I won’t have made it workin’. I didn’t like to work.

49. If the world were perfect, it wouldn’t be.

50. A lot of guys go, ‘Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.’ I tell ’em, ‘I don’t know any.’ They want me to make one up. I don’t make ’em up. I don’t even know when I say it. They’re the truth. And it is the truth. I don’t know.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:09:00 PM by robert angel »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 10:00:21 PM »
You are complaining about the crowds? Medellin is the second most populous city in Colombia. What did you expect...to have the place to yourself?

You are like the guy who goes to the best restaurant in town on a Saturday night and complains that it is too crowded!!

If you want to complain about crime try going to Caracas or San Pedro Sula. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

Medellin's homicide rate in 2015 was half the rate in New Orleans in the U.S.A. Not saying it is Disneyland but let's keep things in context.
http://caracol.com.co/emisora/2016/01/03/medellin/1451838642_947479.html

Also, other than Parque Lleras I did not see a ton of gringo tourists. I know the city is getting discovered and gaining more visitors each year (as it should given what it has to offer). However, if you want to be overwhelmed by gringo tourists try Cancun, Mexico City or Costa Rica.

We better enjoy it while it lasts because tourism is on the rise in Colombia and if the peace agreement is passed by voters in October it is likely to increase even more....

I prefer smaller places. I  live in Manizales. I would like to stay in an even  smaller place, but Manizales is as small as it gets, but still has:

a. Bodytech Gym
b. Things to do like Yoga, dance classes, Health Food and Sushi restaurants,
c. Movies , theatre live concerts, Soccer team (Once de Manizales- not the greatest)
d. Enough discotecs to go dancing when you want
e. Good medical facilities
f. Best city park in Colombia (outside of Buca)-Bosque Popular
G. fantastic views and sites to see in Chipre and elsewhere in the city
h. Friendly, respectful people
i: 20 minutes to get anywhere in the city-from one side to the other
j. Close to the mountains and natural reserves and Termales, and many other attractions in the Eje Cafetero
k. Lots of universities
l. In my opinion, best climate n Colombia-but I like it a little colder-in between Medellin and Bogota
M, way safer than Medellin, Cali or Bogota
N. Close to Pereira and Armenia (1 to 2.5 hours), if you want to visit other cities-and not too too far from Medellin or Cali (4 hours)
O. Cleanest city I have seen in Colombia
P. Feria de Manizales
q. Mini version of Medellin´s metro cable (tough I have only been on it once LOL)
r. Other than during the feria, hardly any gringos or foreigners
s, Catedral de Manizales-second highest in the Americas..

Still a long way from perfect, sometimes the fog and drizzle can last a long time. and the air is not as clean as in Canada..still have tons of smoke belching  buses trucks and occasional ash from Nevada del Ruiz

I have traveled to most of the major cities and departments in Colombia, have been living here for 4 years, travelling here since 2004, and in my opinion, Manizales has the best quality of life. Usually is no. 1 or 2 in the opinion polls.

I have never been to Bucaramanga though, and my friend, who has been to more places in Colombia than me, says its nicer. But its hotter than Medellin, so I dont think I could live there. Plus way more remote  far as road access to other Colombian cities.

Dont think you would like Manizales though. Way too many hills for the average person. Hilliest place I have been to, and I have traveled to over 50 countries.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:19:53 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 07:25:38 AM »
But then I was warned several times not to promote Manizales too much, as it would cause an influx of gringos and foreigners

Too hilly and cool for your average Medellin lover-thank God for that.

One time I saw a group of 4 or 5 Gringos at Juan Valdez in El Cable, and thought " Ohh my God her comes an invasion..soon this will be another LLeras"..but luckily it was a "One Off"

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »

I prefer smaller places. I  live in Manizales. I would like to stay in an even  smaller place, but Manizales is as small as it gets, but still has:

Dont think you would like Manizales though. Way too many hills for the average person. Hilliest place I have been to, and I have traveled to over 50 countries.

I could run circles around you. The hills of Manizales wouldn't bother me as I am sure the vistas/views are very nice. Too small and too cool of a climate for my preferences. 

Offline Dan Las Vegas

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016, 05:09:26 PM »
I was just in Pereira a few weeks ago and enjoyed it quite a bit, but what really did it for me was the small towns in the cafetero,  very nice and quiet and the surroundings are beautiful, but a little too quiet for me.  The weather was cooler than Medellin and the city is nothing special but I still enjoyed my time there.  Since I don't spend time at parque Lleras in Medellin, I really don't see many other gringos, sometimes I go almost an entire week without seeing one! 

The traffic is getting worse in Medellin and the pollution is getting worse, but aside from that, it is still my favorite city.  I'll be visiting Manizales and Armenia on the next trip.

JMHO

Dan LV

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 08:22:47 PM »
Well hector with the way you're going at it you will for sure find a woman who meets all your criteria. Only thing, as mentioned above you need a month in country. In the mean time though you've sure got the stuff to be a great travel writer.

Hermosamente feliz

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
^^ Thanks Buencamino. Your novia is muy linda!

Offline stevekoozer

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
^^ Thanks Buencamino. Your novia is muy linda!

Hey Hector when you planning on being in BQ? if we are there at the same time we could meet for a coffee or something that is if you don't mind hanging out with a 260 pound redneck LOL. And excellent report on your trip but still does not get me interested enough to go to Med much prefer the coast although Bog is pretty cool still prefer the heat and the ocean.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 10:26:03 AM »
^^Steve: Yeah that would be cool. Sent you a P.M.

Offline Juan Valdez

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
Awesome Trip Report, Hector!  Great details!  Kudos on the cold approaches!

Offline Jedimaster

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2016, 06:13:53 PM »
Now this is what a real trip report looks like.  Its packed full of info such as general impressions of the women/Paisas, where you stayed, transportation (ie,metro), nightclubs, malls, restaurants, the whole nine yards.  And you managed to stay away from the self ego massage which plagued a different report.

Outstanding report Hector!

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »
Now this is what a real trip report looks like.  Its packed full of info such as general impressions of the women/Paisas, where you stayed, transportation (ie,metro), nightclubs, malls, restaurants, the whole nine yards.  And you managed to stay away from the self ego massage which plagued a different report.

Outstanding report Hector!
Completely agree. Hopefully Hector still stops by here. The trolling seems to have dissipated...

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 06:07:57 AM »
I just went to Medellin and met a bunch of women (amongst other things).

I could give a trip report, but why bother with Jerks like Awesome on her making obnoxious comments on every post.

Maybe we should Just change the name of this site to "Planet Awesome", and  he can do trip reports on himself smoking dope in the park, falling over drunk and passing out after being drugged, having crazy "Fight Dances in Discos", Picking up married woman and bragging about all his "Social Skills"..

All posted from Grannies basement..

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2016, 10:05:56 AM »
Completely agree. Hopefully Hector still stops by here. The trolling seems to have dissipated...

I agree. And I don't think looking back on member's past histories and goading people on is constructive at this point. It more likely encourages them to come back in the same ways.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345