It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Retire in Colombia  (Read 5156 times)

Offline DRGUY1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Retire in Colombia
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

It's been a while since I've posted...I guess I have enjoyed traveling, dating and just being single...I wanted to say that I finally have "seen the light". 8)

Sometimes we have to find out these things ourselves and on our own timelines. Since my divorce 5 years ago, I have dated Latina's in the US and oversea's from Costa Rica, Bogota and Barranquilla. I was looking for a wife/partner and even brought a lady to the US...But as I reflect from my learnings ( which I've enjoyed mostly) I really do think that retiring and moving there is the far better choice.

I'm in my late 40's now and could retire in 3-5 years comfortably in LA...Being a single man in Medellin, Bogota or Cali would be ideal. I know many posters have said this before, but you have to find out for yourself...I used Jaime's service, as well as agency's in Bogota and they were all good experiences,
but with Tinder and the social media you could live there and stay very active and enjoy your 50's and beyond.

Now, I'm just deciding which country and which city to choose. There is a fellow PL poster who has been on a similar journey as me, and he too is now thinking its better to stay single and retire ...We have both come to that conclusion---just too many challenges with the language, culture difference and immigration issues of bringing someone here. An American in Barranquilla once told me that 95% of Colombiana's are really not ready or suitable for relocation and living in the US. I thought that was harsh when he said it, but now I agree with him.

Medellin has great weather and is affordable, so I will venture there next to scout it as a possible retirement location.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Retire in Colombia
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »

But as I reflect from my learnings ( which I've enjoyed mostly) I really do think that retiring and moving there is the far better choice.

Smart man. It can work in the U.S. with a Latina from another country. There's obviously plenty of examples to support that argument. But on average you're saving yourself from having to potentially deal with a lot of unknowns by just moving there and looking for a partner. The only trouble is not getting spoiled once you're down there....which is something I've seen happen to a lot of guys. When you realize there are tons of extremely attractive women to choose from and that more than a few are actually interested in you, men tend to become much less tolerant of shortcomings and much more picky with respect to who they commit to.  No kid in a candy store ever ate just one type out of a single jar.

Now, I'm just deciding which country and which city to choose. There is a fellow PL poster who has been on a similar journey as me, and he too is now thinking its better to stay single and retire ...We have both come to that conclusion---just too many challenges with the language, culture difference and immigration issues of bringing someone here.

My advice is to do as much research as possible and weigh your options carefully. Guys flock to Colombia because the women are hot, the trip is relatively short (as supposed to going somewhere like Rio) and you can still live very comfortably without being a millionaire (also as supposed to somewhere like Rio). But after living there almost a year and spending significant time there for work I tend to wonder if I could do the "rest of my life" thing in Colombia. I've personally always wondered why guys feel they need to live in the country where their wives are from in Latin America. I know an American Guy, married to a beautiful Barranquilliera, that lives in Panama City. He's in maritime shipping so his situation is perfect because of the canal, and his wife is perfectly happy because she's only a couple of hours from visiting family and none of them need a visa to visit her. This as supposed to struggling to look for a job in Colombia which has proven to be quite difficult for foreigners that aren't being sponsored by a global company with offices there.

An American in Barranquilla once told me that 95% of Colombiana's are really not ready or suitable for relocation and living in the US. I thought that was harsh when he said it, but now I agree with him.

Sounds like a page straight out of Jamie's book. LOL!!! I think 95% is most definitely too harsh but there are some challenges most men will inevitably face if that's the route they choose to take. They have all been very well documented on this board. Ultimately though, I think sorting through dozens of women trying to figure out which would be most suitable for life in the U.S. is an exercise in futility. All these questions and behavior cues you're supposed to pay close attention to never amounted to jack squat for most guys because Latinas are so very good at making you concentrate on "other things." There's a level of adjustment for all women; and although her personality type might make things easier once you're stateside, it's ultimately up to the man when it comes to how successful she is in making the transition. If your foreign wife gets to the U.S. and you're babying her through English classes or some ESL software you paid hundreds of dollars for, chances are she's going to have some difficulty learning English if she's even motivated enough to give it any real effort. If you actively immerse her in the language and absolutely refuse to communicate with her in Spanish sometimes things probably won't go over as smoothly but in the end she'll pick it much faster and fluently.   

The language thing is just one example. Guys bring their gorgeous, little Latin Princesses to the U.S. and let them get away with murder because they are so deeply in love and/or they are so afraid of losing a woman much younger and physically way out of their league. In the end if she truly loves you she'll stick around. But the guys I've seen successful in this endeavor do a bit of tough loving long before the happily ever after can be seen on the horizon. Some men are built for that challenge. Some aren't. I'd consider myself one of the latter and I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with that. You might be the same.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:42:32 PM by benjio »

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Just make sure you don't get into a relationship while you're there because it will be impossible to be faithful. If you follow the rule of the three F's you'll be ok. Better yet just patronize the casas - cheaper and less hassle in the long run. I like Medellin but I'm not sure how I would keep myself occupied there over the long term.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
Just make sure you don't get into a relationship while you're there because it will be impossible to be faithful. If you follow the rule of the three F's you'll be ok. Better yet just patronize the casas - cheaper and less hassle in the long run. I like Medellin but I'm not sure how I would keep myself occupied there over the long term.

How long did you live in Colombia uc?

I know quite a few gringo expats living in Medellin.  Of the ones who are in a relationship I haven't heard them complain about it being "impossible to stay faithful".  Not once have I heard that complaint.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
I guess we really bought a house overseas because it simply has always been her dream. It's a place that represents her roots and stability, a place where her family can gather, close to world class beaches and resorts, our substitute for a hotel, a place she might live after I die, should she choose. Her nieces and nephews, her sisters, would all care for her, as she has always cared for them. It's 'their way.' Different culture, nursing homes are almost unheard of there. Without her, I don't even think about my sons caring for me 25, 30 years from now. Find me a nursing home instead-- 'a rehabilitation facilty' as the nicer ones are called, with whirlpools, activity nights, 400 cable TV channels and a few hot nurses.

But more than a new car, more than any material possession, a home in her country, close to family is something she always wanted and worked hard to save for.

But even she, and more and more so as time goes by, realizes that us living over there for long periods isn't a good idea. She tells me that I might 'think' I'd like it and 'think' I could handle it OK, but that after a while, it'd get old. And I think she's right and that she'd be right even if I were living there single and playing oh so fertile field.

Even she has gotten used to the infrastructure the USA offers. There's a number of things, some are hard to explain, intangible if you will.  But some nameable things include poverty all around (our home's in a nice area, but we don't want a gated, guarded existence) pollution, crime, politics, lack of efficiencies, corruption, inability to freely get foods we like--things like that. No smoked salmon, decent brie cheese, etc.

I've heard it takes a few years for the pollution, the food and water, to really run your system down, but that they often do over time, slowly but surely. Then there's concern about not having cutting edge medical care. I realize that if I was going for another back surgery, I'd certainly fly back to the USA and have my Princeton educated surgeon do it. No heart problems, but treatment for a heart attack there is different and all too often, substandard to here.

And while she's never chided me about it, she knows there's enough horny Filipinas HERE who've lost their way and would probably let me shag them just for their bragging rights, that the atmosphere THERE would be a thousand fold times more full of temptation. I could be 80 y/o, toothless and using a walker in the mall and I'm sure there'd be women half my age or younger, willing to give a white, blue eyed geezer a 'hand'.

She's always been cool about me checking out the 'eye candy', striking up conversations, being a flirt--things she never does. But there's a line drawn at that point. I start screwing those women and that'd  totally screw up what I've got, messing up what's presently a very good thing. So I figure, living there would not only be hazardous to my physical and mental health, but to my marital health and happiness as well.

As such, "Deliver me from evil and lead me not into temptation" are words I ponder...
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »
DR Guy: Since you can retire on such a short time horizon (3 to 5 years), I think your plan is an excellent one. If I were in the same shoes I'd do the same thing.

Medellin would definitely be in my top 5 places to consider in Latin America. I've only been to Medellin once but what appeals to me is: the weather, the women, the beautiful geography and the fact the city is large enough to have city amenities while also not being overwhelmingly large like Mexico City.

Some downsides that come to mind: airport far from town when you want to travel out of town, crime (manageable though), air quality concerns and earthquake concerns. I already live in a city with air quality and earthquake issues but U.S. building codes at least give me more comfort. 

If I had the chance to move there while maintaining my current income (or something close to it), I would go in a New York minute. Good to have a Plan B in case you don't like it after a few years. But I don't doubt I'd be on a honeymoon for a good long while.....

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:43:07 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »

My advice is to do as much research as possible and weigh your options carefully. Guys flock to Colombia because the women are hot, the trip is relatively short (as supposed to going somewhere like Rio) and you can still live very comfortably without being a millionaire (also as supposed to somewhere like Rio). But after living there almost a year and spending significant time there for work I tend to wonder if I could do the "rest of my life" thing in Colombia. I've personally always wondered why guys feel they need to live in the country where their wives are from in Latin America. I know an American Guy, married to a beautiful Barranquilliera, that lives in Panama City. He's in maritime shipping so his situation is perfect because of the canal, and his wife is perfectly happy because she's only a couple of hours from visiting family and none of them need a visa to visit her. This as supposed to struggling to look for a job in Colombia which has proven to be quite difficult for foreigners that aren't being sponsored by a global company with offices there.

They don't like the tough love approach and will claim to are "humillante", but ultimately they can only love a man they respect.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »

Some downsides that come to mind: airport far from town when you want to travel out of town, crime (manageable though), air quality concerns and earthquake concerns. I already live in a city with air quality and earthquake issues but U.S. building codes at least give me more comfort. 

There is an airport in the city of Medellin called Enrique Olaya Herrera (EOH) which has flights to twelve cities in Colombia including Bogota. It's a very short cab ride from my wife's apartment in Belen.

Offline DRGUY1

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »

You raise a good point Benjio that I have also considered...I don't necessarily need to retire full time in Colombia...I've always wanted to retire oversea's for the sunshine, lifestyle, affordability and for new adventures (not just chasing skirts:)...So I'm also considering beach towns in Mexico. It's a short and economical flight to Colombian cities for fun and adventures and If I meet someone on an extended trip, they can easily travel to Mexico with me...I could use Mexico as the home retirement base and travel from there.

I have a friend who is retired and lives in Medellin half the year--- who will rent me a room with everything paid for $200 a month, so extended stays in Colombia without living there full time are affordable options in that scenario too... That way I could travel to different places and not get so bored when retired....If I meet a lady, it's easy for them to visit Mexico too.

I'm heading to Guadalajara next month on business, but will check out Lake Chapala and La Paz as possible retirement spots too...Keeping an open mind.

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »

II used Jaime's service, as well as agency's in Bogota and they were all good experiences,
but with Tinder and the social media you could live there and stay very active and enjoy your 50's and beyond.

Medellin has great weather and is affordable, so I will venture there next to scout it as a possible retirement location.

Well if you liked what you saw in the agencies......you are going to love living in Colombia....because you can only go up from there.

Aside for the climate and cost of living in a particular city....the only real deciding factor should be finding a city where you prefer the women and their attitudes.

The only two cities that I can compare the women in are Cali and Medellin.

I would say that if you are interested in having a long term girlfriend then Calenas are the better option.....just way lower expectations and much less demanding than Paisas.

If you don't mind spending some money on a really nice apartment and car....and want to see how many super hot women you can bang before you die then....Medellin is the way to go.

So it all boils down to which city do you enjoy the company of the women the most....and what kind of women are you going to have access to based on your looks, social status and spanish skills.

Offline buencamino3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »
Revista SEMANA published some interesting figures (doing their best with exchange rates). Here are monthly salario minimos for a number of Latin American countries expressed in Colombian pesos. Colombia: $737.717, Peru: $744.758, Mexico $360.000 and in Chile $1'177.000. In poor Venezuela it comes to $ 27.000. There may still be some corners of Venezuela where life is reasonably good though you definatly want to stay clear of the yanomami.

Hermosamente feliz

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:44 PM »
With the new tax laws, and added pressure on DIAN to collect,  I wouldnt advise anyone to retire in Colombia. And espescially not invest in any real estate here.

If you are planning on living here full time ...more than 183 days a year, best to get the full real story from Deloitte Touche or Price Waterhouse, and not rely on a local accountant that has Buddies at DIAN and will only do a partial job.

Then make your own educated choice on what risks you want to take,

As far as expat friendly places, there are a lot better places to retire, tax law wise.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:28:50 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 11:05:29 PM »
With the new tax laws, and added pressure on DIAN to collect,  I wouldnt advise anyone to retire in Colombia. And espescially not invest in any real estate here.

If you are planning on living here full time ...more than 183 days a year, best to get the full real story from Deloitte Touche or Price Waterhouse, and not rely on a local accountant that has Buddies at DIAN and will only do a partial job.

Then make your own educated choice on what risks you want to take,

As far as expat friendly places, there are a lot better places to retire, tax law wise.

How have the tax laws in Colombia affected you personally?

One of the ten best places to retire...Medellin!!!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirementlife/the-10-best-places-to-retire-overseas-in-2017/ar-BBxTE0y?ocid=sf#page=3
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:18:27 PM by Calipro »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 11:05:29 PM »

Offline Awesome

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
And while she's never chided me about it, she knows there's enough horny Filipinas HERE who've lost their way and would probably let me shag them just for their bragging rights, that the atmosphere THERE would be a thousand fold times more full of temptation. I could be 80 y/o, toothless and using a walker in the mall and I'm sure there'd be women half my age or younger, willing to give a white, blue eyed geezer a 'hand'.

Yea probaby some girls who look like 16 year olds since we now know that's your preference.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 12:03:07 PM »

How have the tax laws in Colombia affected you personally?

One of the ten best places to retire...Medellin!!!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirementlife/the-10-best-places-to-retire-overseas-in-2017/ar-BBxTE0y?ocid=sf#page=3

And you believe Kathleen Pedicord and her group of scam artists from "International Living"?

Know the tax laws before you go to Colombia. Legally, you are responsible for paying taxes on your world-wide income, and world-wide net worth.

I realize trhat the majority of Rich Colombians dont follow these rules, as well as many other Colombian "Laws"..but they are still "Laws"

If you want to live "under the radar" thas Okay..but people should educate themselves on what is the "Law"..whether you choose to live by it or not

Offline fathertime

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »

And you believe Kathleen Pedicord and her group of scam artists from "International Living"?

Know the tax laws before you go to Colombia. Legally, you are responsible for paying taxes on your world-wide income, and world-wide net worth.

I realize trhat the majority of Rich Colombians dont follow these rules, as well as many other Colombian "Laws"..but they are still "Laws"

If you want to live "under the radar" thas Okay..but people should educate themselves on what is the "Law"..whether you choose to live by it or not
Hey Expat, It sounds like you have done some research.  Can you provide a detail or two regarding the world-wide net worth?  I'm wondering how Colombia chooses to tax an individual with a high or very high net worth on his worldwide assets, and what the tax is. 

Thanks,
Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »
Hey Expat, It sounds like you have done some research.  Can you provide a detail or two regarding the world-wide net worth?  I'm wondering how Colombia chooses to tax an individual with a high or very high net worth on his worldwide assets, and what the tax is. 

Thanks,
Fathertime!

They dont "choose" to do nothing if you keep your mouth shut. The more you tell them and the more assets you have in Colombia the more you maybe subject to taxes and penalties

I will post the Deloite Touche and Price Waterhouse links later.

Myself I Love Colombia, but could leave her in a drop of a hat..and relocate to Ecuador, Perú,Argentina, Chile, México or DR tomorrow.
Espescially if things like what happened last night start to occur again
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:57:58 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Awesome

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »
They dont "choose" to do nothing if you keep your mouth shut. The more you tell them and the more assets you have in Colombia the more you maybe subject to taxes and penalties

Myself I Love Colombia, but could leave her in a drop of a hat..and relocate to Ecuador, Perú,Argentina, Chile, México or DR tomorrow.
Espescially if things like what happened last night start to occur again

What happened?

Why do you do that expat?  You post 99% lame bs, but when you have something that I actually would like to know, you hold back and keep it a secret.

-quick edit:  Ok disregard my above statement, I just read what happened in the other thread.  My bad.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:12:56 PM by Awesome »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »

Thanks, I'm curious what you have found.  I would imagine it would be a lot of effort to track down somebody's worldwide assets, especially if that individual was not making it easy.

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 06:53:58 AM »
https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/Tax/dttl-tax-colombiaguide-2016.pdf

http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/uk/taxsummaries/wwts.nsf/ID/Colombia-Individual-Significant-developments

Here its all written in plain English

You can do more searches if you want

They change the rules year by year -more than their underwear. (like a Woody Allen movie)

With money required to pay off the FARC and ELN, expect things to get worse, not better.

Offline smartcard1

• Probie
  • on a new journey
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 12:39:58 AM »

[/quote

I already pay taxes at home... wouldnt want to pay more in another country.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:48:28 AM by smartcard1, Reason: did not add comment first time »
Canadian looking for travel and meeting new people.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 112