It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: When should I start calling the USCIS?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline bundy_138

• Latinas can be addictive....trust me!
When should I start calling the USCIS?
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:22:04 AM »
Today is the 90 mark for my initial K-1 visa packet being filed with the California Service Center.  The processing times have changed four times in the last three months since my paperwork has been there and today it says waiting times are about 100 days. 

I am pretty patient when it comes to filing paperwork, especially when the government is involved.  However, being without my novia is really pulling the old heart strings!  Should I give it a few more days or would it hurt to call up and see what the status is.  I check online everyday and the only date listed is the initial filing date and no "touches" since then.

Another question, how long are the police certificates good for?  My novia was told yesterday that there is currently a 2 month wait for the certificate.  We found someone in the police office that will "speed up" the process for 60.000 cop.  We should have in in two weeks.  If our interview is 3 months away, will a police report dated somewhere around the 1st of Sept suffice?  Or will we be turned away for having a certificate with a 3 month old date on it?

Bundy
If you don't take care of your woman, someone else will.  (Bundy)

Offline sean126

Re: When should I start calling the USCIS?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:55:12 AM »
I don't know if the customer service people will be able to tell you anything or not, if you call. 

The police certificates in Colombia are good for a year I believe.  If someone else hasn't answered you by the time I talk to my wife in an hour...I'll give you a more certain answer.

Offline sean126

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »
Bundy,

My wife said it's good for a year and to be sure and have her tell them it's for a visa.

She got hers a little bit before the arrival of packet 3.  By the time she got to the interview, I think it was 2 months old or so.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:10:36 PM by sean126 »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline bundy_138

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:07:18 AM »
Thanks sean.  That helps out alot.  Everything is ass-backwards in Cali and it almost impossible to get anything important done. 

Is there anything I can do to get an "estimate" when someone will start looking over my paperwork in California?  I'm sure it is just sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust.  I am just ready for the packet to reach Bogota so we can start collecting the rest of the items needed for the interview.  The remainder of the paperwork needed will come from Cali and it takes forever to do anything.

Bundy

Offline sean126

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:49:31 AM »
I don't think so.  Sir William or Ray may be able to give a better answer on that.  I know that DRM64 had a longer than usual lull waiting to get his I-129f approval notice, after that... things seemed to run on schedule.    I understand that's it's extremely frustrating waiting and not knowing anything.   What I told Drm64 was....everything is happening the way it should in the big scheme of things.  The right timing is never late...but it's never early either.  Even though we don't see the reason for it,  things proceed the way it should.   spiritually speaking.
I also told him..."hey, look at it this way...you have more time to get to know her before the wedding and that's always a good thing."

I know it doesn't help much, but it might just a tinsey bit.  Hang in there, a little bit of wait time is just a drop in the bucket in comparison to the rest of your life with your sweetie pie. :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:51:54 AM by sean126 »

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 07:02:49 AM »

Is there anything I can do to get an "estimate" when someone will start looking over my paperwork in California?  I'm sure it is just sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust.

Anything you can do? No, if you call the 800 number they will tell you they can't discuss individual cases. If you try to work your way up the food chain, you might get as far as the person who's job it is is to tell you 'You're not the only case we have to handle, you know'......You've most likely already figured this out on your own, but basically most of the paper pushers at La Migra are (to put it politely) not only incompetent fools, they don't give a damn either.

OTOH, hang in there, you know your lady is worth the wait and that we all wish you good luck and a speedy and happy reunion.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:12:39 PM »
I would wait a little longer before you start to worry.

When you call the National Customer Service Center number, you are probably talking to an ignorant contractor who knows nothing more than what has been entered into the computer. You can request to speak to an immigration officer for important questions, but they still aren’t going to be able to tell you anything about your case except what is in their computer system.

That new processing time report the CIS posts is a bunch of krap. I see the current processing date for I-129F’s at CSC is Feb 13, 2007. That doesn’t mean that K-1 petitions are taking that long to process, just that they have a 6-month target to complete processing. I suspect that what it REALLY means is: “don’t bother us unless you filed 30 days prior to that date (Jan 13, 2007)”.

You can contact the CSC directly, but not by phone. They want you to use either FAX or e-mail. Government bureaucrats seem to love FAX’s for some reason, so if you have a FAX machine that they can respond to, I would try that first.

CSC inquiry policy: Please send only one e-mail or a FAX. Do not send multiple inquiries on an individual “WAC” Receipt or “A” File Number. It is requested that you make only ONE inquiry each 30 days. If necessary, you may send in an additional inquiry after 30 days. Do not include any e-mail attachments.

I-129F e-mail contact:   CSC-XII.129F@dhs.gov

I-129F/I-751 FAX contact:   (949) 389-3219

Note: This contact info for CSC is a little dated (3 May 2004) so I can’t vouch for its accuracy. If you or anybody else tries one of these contacts, please let us know how it works out.

Ray

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:17:55 PM by Ray »

Offline bundy_138

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:22:29 AM »
Ok, yesterday was the 120 day mark with no info on my visa request.  I called USCIS to see what type of response I received.  The guy I talked to was very nice and said he could help me the best he could.  I started off by asking him if my case was outside the processing time (knowing that it wasn't) to see what he would say.  He said no, because the dates have changed frequently since the time I applied.  He then said there was a six month wait,  as posted on the USCIS website.  He then said that USCIS was flooded with applications for K-1 and K-3 visas in July because everyone was trying to beat the fee increase.  This would slow the process for everyones petition filed prior to July 31.  I then explained to him that my petition was filed in May, not July.  Why would me filing in May be effected by the July filers?  I thought they were processed in the order that they were received?!  Of course, he didn't have an answer.

Long story short, he didn't help much or provide any information that I couldn't have read off the USCIS website or visajourney.  Just an update.

Bundy     

Offline bundy_138

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
Received my first  "touch" on 10/05 for my petition.  Received my RFE email today.  Called the California service center and the guy told me he did not know what the RFE was for and I would have to wait for the snail mail to arrive.

I have NO idea what the RFE could be about.  I followed the visajourney guides to the T and am very curious to see what happened.  I filled the necessary forms out correctly and added a ton of information concerning the "proof of our relationship".  Tomorrow will be day 150 for waiting for NOA-2.  I guess the RFE will add another week or so to the approval date.

I have read that it is taking up to a month for the petitions to reach the NVC from CSC.  Has anyone else heard that?

Bundy

Offline sean126

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 05:15:58 PM »
As stupid as it sounds....sometimes its a simple matter.  I had one because I put "n/a" instead of "none".   That's all it was. 

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133131
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 210