It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Will Be in Medellin For 30 Days--  (Read 27524 times)

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Will Be in Medellin For 30 Days--
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 08:04:15 AM »

I wouldnt say DR has more interesting places than Colombia..quite the opposite. Colombia is probably the most diverse country geographically, Culturaly and Biologically in Latin America -outside of Brazil (and could argue including Brazil as Brazil doesnt have glaciers, Alpine areas and Paramos)- but you need excellent Spanish and Travelling skills to enjoy it to its fullest.

Why not start with a place that has a little better infrastructure for Non-Spanish  speakers, exotic women and lots of English speaking people--Dominican Republic. You have also many more interesting places to visit than Colombia like Santiago, Samana Peninsula,,ect and Chicas run the gambit from White to dark and all flavors in between. Also cheap buses to get around on and safe .Just some thoughts.I wished I had not spent so much time in Colombia back in the day and visited the DR more often. Live and Learn.

KB

Offline Mikey_Travels

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »

I would suggest, if you have time and money ,go to Antigua Guatemala for 4 weeks on an intensive Spanish course to pick up your Spanish level, then go to Colombia, if you like.

Thanks.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I think that learning the language is the most important thing and also something that I've been wanting to do for a long time. I checked the prices on a Guatemalan Spanish school and it is very affordable. I don't by their claim that 6 weeks of immersion will lead to conversational fluency but I'm sure that it helps or at least will get me to the A2 level of survival Spanish in a structured environment. 

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »

I wouldnt say DR has more interesting places than Colombia..quite the opposite. Colombia is probably the most diverse country geographically, Culturaly and Biologically in Latin America -outside of Brazil (and could argue including Brazil as Brazil doesnt have glaciers, Alpine areas and Paramos)- but you need excellent Spanish and Travelling skills to enjoy it to its fullest.
[/quote

All depends on what you like. DR is a hell of a lot easier to see the entire country for cheap on safe inexpensive buses with no worries about Narcos  or Farc. Different ambiance for sure, but better prepared to have visitors that want to do there own travel. You go to Santiago and there are some wonderful micro-climates up in the mountains and fantastic areas where the Cigar Tobacco is grown. Of course we all know about the incredible beaches and Whale watching at the Samana is really good, but again, different ambiance than Colombia and easier for a first timeer to enjoy without looking over his shoulder all of the time, but as he said, not sure he is interested in these types of things.
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Calipro,

I have zero interest in clubbing and hanging out with the party set. I'm 36 and did the whole club thing in my early 20s.

I would much rather spend my days, mid-days and evening in the gym, taking Spanish lessons, maybe taking dance lessons just for fun, in nature and maybe even at a yoga studio.

Here is a university that has a Spanish program for foreigners....people from all over the world go there to learn Spanish.

http://www.eafit.edu.co/idiomas/spanish-program/Paginas/home.aspx

I don't really like gong to clubs either....I'm 54.... so you can just imagine how over I am with the club scene.

But I still go to Clubs all the time....because in Colombia there in no single better way of getting a girl that you have never slept with before into your bed...than taking her to drink and dance....nothing else even comes close.

Offline Juan Valdez

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »

I would suggest, if you have time and money ,go to Antigua Guatemala for 4 weeks on an intensive Spanish course to pick up your Spanish level, then go to Colombia, if you like.

As well traveled as you are, Expat, why would you suggest this particular course in Guatemala for a guy thinking of Colombia?

Surely Colombia has something similar in the way of Spanish courses to offer, no?

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »

I'm also not really into clubs but would love to learn how to salsa-- I have rhythm and good hip movement- black guy with soul!!

Cali is the best place to learn how to Salsa otherwise Cuba :)

Offline Gavan

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »
Mikey if Colombia doesn't work out for you you could also try Peru: great food, lots of cool places to visit and nice "exotic" women. Climate is great too, especially in Northern Peru (virtually no rain and spring like weather all year long). Peruvian Spanish is pretty easy to understand and in the tourist areas quite a few people speak English. While salsa isn't as popular there as in Colombia (cumbia is much more popular in Peru), Lima/Callao also has a decent salsa scene and several salsa bands (a lot of Cuban salseros in Lima).

Peruvian salsa

Main downside to Peru is crime (especially in the larger cities like Lima or Trujillo), but that is true for Colombia as well as far as I know.

Peru tourist attractions

Peruvian Food

Peruvian Women

Anyway, just a suggestion  :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:42:54 PM by Gavan »

Offline John W

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »

Here is a university that has a Spanish program for foreigners....people from all over the world go there to learn Spanish.

FYI, EAFIT is one of most expensive private universities in Medellin.  There are a lot of other Spanish programs that are also good in Medellin, but not as expensive.  However, EAFIT is a great choice. 

I have not been to Medellin in a few years, and the last time I went I was with my wife (prior to us getting married.) However, I find it hard to believe that Medellin has changed that much since I was last there while I was single.  If you look for women in the tourist traps, you're probably going to find plenty of problems.  If you meet women in average neighborhoods, you will find lots of attractive, normal women.  I think Medellin is a great city with lots of pretty women.  Going to clubs or hanging out in Poblado is not the best way to meet them.   

I am still shocked that Calipro now spends his time in Medellin.  Reading Calipro's posts about Cali inspired me to make my first trip to Colombia.  I also thought it was insightful that the two most experienced, non-expat, Colombian travelers who posted on this board (Calipro & Gerry/Been There/Bernard) swore by Cali and its women.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:30:23 PM by John W »

Offline Juan Valdez

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »

+1

Offline Juan Valdez

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »

I don't really like gong to clubs either....I'm 54.... so you can just imagine how over I am with the club scene.

But I still go to Clubs all the time....because in Colombia there in no single better way of getting a girl that you have never slept with before into your bed...than taking her to drink and dance....nothing else even comes close.

Calipro... are you implying that "usually" you are not meeting the girls "in" the club, but you are taking them there to show them a good time?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 03:10:53 PM »
Calipro... are you implying that "usually" you are not meeting the girls "in" the club, but you are taking them there to show them a good time?

You can meet women anywhere in la 70 but it is hard to find anything really worth hitting on.

The high end clubs aren't set up like American style pick up bars at all.....to get a table you have to order bottle service and you usually have to be with women or they won't let you in.

They will just flat tell you they don't let single guys in.....and there isn't anything for you to do if you get in anyway because everybody is in small groups sitting at tables.

Most of the time when I go out to clubs I get with a guy friend that wants to go (to split the bill) and we just invite the hottest chicks we know to go out with us....and just see what happens.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
Mikey if Colombia doesn't work out for you you could also try Peru:

Also you could try Argentina, for TANGO  ;D

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »

You are going to be like a fish out of water in Medellin. More than Spanish and dancing skills....you need a social circle which doesn't exist for you yet....unless you are very good at cultivating relationships online.
You could try couchsurfing.com...not to find a place to stay but rather just to go to some of their social meetups.

I also suggest that you rent a room on airbnb.com from an onsite host (someone that lives in the place where you are renting the room)....like this guy.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5729747?s=PJzHPOfX

Pick a place with plenty of rooms so you can meet other travelers and have people to do things with.

Stayed at this place a few years ago.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4752668?s=PJzHPOfX

But it is run by a different guy now....so can't tell you what the experience would be like....but when Ryan ran the show....it was all guys between the ages of 25 and 35 that where there for months at a time.....we would just go to very average clubs and pick up on average everyday chicks. It was very inexpensive.

Most nights we went out to la 70.

Here's a couple of links....the girls in the pics are about average for la 70....you can do better and a lot worst.

http://colombiabeat.com/main/2011/04/19/medellin-la-70-nightlife/

http://colombiabeat.com/main/2011/05/06/melanie-in-medellins-la-70-again/

http://colombiabeat.com/main/2011/05/03/santo-domingo-nightlife/

http://colombiabeat.com/main/2011/04/29/la-70-part-deux/

Here are some places where the chicks are ten times hotter and where bottle service with cost you ten times more money than La 70.

https://www.facebook.com/cameomedellin/?fref=photo

https://www.facebook.com/Sixttina/

https://www.facebook.com/miaviproom/photos/?tab=album&album_id=752542028169237

This chick is a friend of mine:

https://www.facebook.com/cameomedellin/photos/a.515874145133734.1073741826.512791268775355/998746933513117/?type=3&theater

So if you want to try your hand at starting from the top and working your way down...instead of the other way around.

Here is her facebook profile.

https://www.facebook.com/jenicitagutierrez?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab&pnref=friends.all

I had to laugh reading some of the posts above and the guy's comments on Santo Domingo and Manrique barrios both of which I have been to. La 70 is not far from my wife's apartment which she bought because it was close to UPB when she was a student there. Amusing reading.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
As well traveled as you are, Expat, why would you suggest this particular course in Guatemala for a guy thinking of Colombia?

Surely Colombia has something similar in the way of Spanish courses to offer, no?

No nothing like Antigua Guatemala. The whole town is built on Spanish Language instruction with home stays. They have the same thing in Costa Rica, but way more expensive.
You can take it in bite size chunks-2 or 3 weeks now, 2 or 3 weeks later.

Offline whitey

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 06:40:34 PM »
Just to back up Mikey's OP and for those of you who may be interested, Medellin is fast becoming one of the world hot spots for digital nomads/location independent entrepreneurs.

The Medellin Entrepreneurs Society group on Facebook has 4,500 members, there are co-working spots,  apartment rentals, and other business sprouting up that target this group, mostly in Poblado.

Chiang Mai is probably the number 1 or 2 spot in the world right now for this, as it has the infrastructure and is dirt cheap ... but Medellin is enjoying some cachet right now among those who like a little spice of danger and latin culture ... as well as great weather.

Yet another reason to stay the heck away from Poblado ... ;)
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 07:15:43 PM »

No nothing like Antigua Guatemala. The whole town is built on Spanish Language instruction with home stays. They have the same thing in Costa Rica, but way more expensive.
You can take it in bite size chunks-2 or 3 weeks now, 2 or 3 weeks later.

I've checked out Guatemalan language schools online and they do seem very interesting. They all seem well regulated as well. I wonder how much Spanish can be learned in 4-6 wks, they claim that basic conversation Spanish is possible in that time frame. I do worry about taking on a Guatemalan accent!

I do agree that they also seem better than other offerings, even the ones in Colombia. EAFIT didn't seem too impressive to me and I've read a few less than favorable reviews.

Offline mambocowboy

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »

Why dont you try this site:

http://colombiaconnection.freeforums.net/

There are a lot of other Colombian Forums with helpful people.

I maybe  wrong, and I dont want to offend anyone,This is more a mail order bride- relationship with women forum. More for guys specifically want to go to Latin America to bring a wife back to the US.

All there are all types of guys on here,Expats,  retirees, PUAs (pardon the xpression), travelers, young backpacker types that like to smoke dope
"How to win friends and influence people on planet love" by Elexpatriado

Offline Awesome

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 08:55:16 PM »
You can meet women anywhere in la 70 but it is hard to find anything really worth hitting on.

The high end clubs aren't set up like American style pick up bars at all.....to get a table you have to order bottle service and you usually have to be with women or they won't let you in.

They will just flat tell you they don't let single guys in.....and there isn't anything for you to do if you get in anyway because everybody is in small groups sitting at tables.

Most of the time when I go out to clubs I get with a guy friend that wants to go (to split the bill) and we just invite the hottest chicks we know to go out with us....and just see what happens.

What I do in la 70 I buy a beer or a bottle of guaro at the licoreria and I sit on the cheap little plastic chairs outside and just strike up conversations with whoever and wait for a chica to invite me to dance in one of the nearby discotecas, or some times just dance out on the sidewalk.  Same thing in Manrique or El Centro.  El Centro is far and away my main hang out spot even though it's a lot edgier than other districts.  Parque Lleras is still the preferred party district for me but the place I stay is far from Poblado so I quit going there as much.  Of course if I was absolutely on a diehard mission to get laid I'm heading straight to the hostels in Poblado that have on-site bars.  There are always always always hot foreign chicks who are soo eager to party and get crazy at the hostels, it's ridiculous.

As I write this I realize how much easier it is to have fun in Colombia than it is where I currently live.  :(  I think I'm going to smoke a joint and workout to cheer myself up.

CP one thing I would advise you on is to get out of the mentality of thinking that just because you go into a disco and see everyone hanging out in groups that doesn't mean you can't still mingle with whoever you want.  Think of it like this, if there are 10 tables each with a group of 6 people, at least 3 or 4 of those groups are all women or majority women who are looking for some man action that night.  And the part about inviting female friends to help mingle and see what happens, in my experience with that they just ended up inviting like 10 of their girl friends to meet up with us so I had 1st class introduction and access to all of them.  I got the vibe that a Colombian female friend would rather hook me up with one of her own friends rather than help me mingle with and hook up with girls that she doesn't know and isn't friends with.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 12:17:38 AM »

FYI, EAFIT is one of most expensive private universities in Medellin.  There are a lot of other Spanish programs that are also good in Medellin, but not as expensive.  However, EAFIT is a great choice. 

I have not been to Medellin in a few years, and the last time I went I was with my wife (prior to us getting married.) However, I find it hard to believe that Medellin has changed that much since I was last there while I was single.  If you look for women in the tourist traps, you're probably going to find plenty of problems.  If you meet women in average neighborhoods, you will find lots of attractive, normal women.  I think Medellin is a great city with lots of pretty women.  Going to clubs or hanging out in Poblado is not the best way to meet them.   

I am still shocked that Calipro now spends his time in Medellin.  Reading Calipro's posts about Cali inspired me to make my first trip to Colombia.  I also thought it was insightful that the two most experienced, non-expat, Colombian travelers who posted on this board (Calipro & Gerry/Been There/Bernard) swore by Cali and its women.

I guess if I was on a budget and or wanted to play lets be boyfriend and girlfriend game....I'd have stayed in Cali.
There is a much higher percentage of young attractive women in Medellin that are interested in nothing more than being wined, dined and 69'd.

Even when Bernard is in Cali I have a feeling he imports Paisas from time to time.

This chick was recently in Cali and I know she is a Facebook friend of his and it isn't too far of a stretch to think he ordered out....seeing how this is the exact type of chick that he goes crazy for.

https://www.facebook.com/yojanabet.bett?fref=ts
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:27:28 AM by Calipro »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2016, 06:42:01 AM »
I've checked out Guatemalan language schools online and they do seem very interesting. They all seem well regulated as well. I wonder how much Spanish can be learned in 4-6 wks, they claim that basic conversation Spanish is possible in that time frame. I do worry about taking on a Guatemalan accent!

I do agree that they also seem better than other offerings, even the ones in Colombia. EAFIT didn't seem too impressive to me and I've read a few less than favorable reviews.

I once took a weeks class in Peru, very expensive,no home stay, and we concentrated the entire week on the imperativo tense. Very specialized.

I imagine the university courses in Medellin are like that.

Nothing wrong with that if you are already in Medellin, but A few weeks in Antigua you will get way more bang for your buck.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2016, 06:49:30 AM »

I guess if I was on a budget and or wanted to play lets be boyfriend and girlfriend game....I'd have stayed in Cali.
There is a much higher percentage of young attractive women in Medellin that are interested in nothing more than being wined, dined and 69'd.

Even when Bernard is in Cali I have a feeling he imports Paisas from time to time.

This chick was recently in Cali and I know she is a Facebook friend of his and it isn't too far of a stretch to think he ordered out....seeing how this is the exact type of chick that he goes crazy for.

https://www.facebook.com/yojanabet.bett?fref=ts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWXTjxTTe8

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2016, 08:18:04 AM »

I once took a weeks class in Peru, very expensive,no home stay, and we concentrated the entire week on the imperativo tense. Very specialized.

I imagine the university courses in Medellin are like that.

Nothing wrong with that if you are already in Medellin, but A few weeks in Antigua you will get way more bang for your buck.

I don't think I would want to do home stay while in Antigua but would opt for the apartment option. Going there fore 4-6 weeks is something that interests me.

I wonder how good is their internet?

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »
I don't think I would want to do home stay while in Antigua but would opt for the apartment option. Going there fore 4-6 weeks is something that interests me.

I wonder how good is their internet?

Home stay will do you good as you are learning their culture as well as learning their languages. 

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »

Home stay will do you good as you are learning their culture as well as learning their languages.

I get the concept, I just don't want to do it! I'm very picky when it comes to where I live and personal space. It might be worth doing.

Offline Mikey_Travels

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »
http://www.fairplay-peru.org/en

This language school seems very interesting, it is also a lot more expensive than some of the others, but the location might make it worthwhile. I do like that they create ongoing learning and pre-visit learning classes available via web. Something that I've been wanting to do via italki and their prices are good, they have a good structure for the online lessons, and I won't just pick/bookmark the cute instructors like have done with italki!

Once my Spanish is good, I might go chasing wives, GFs and playthings like the rest of you! I'm only half way kidding.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:04:08 PM by Mikey_Travels »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133131
Total Topics: 7864