It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Luggage- Hard vs soft vs backpack  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Fosgate5

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Luggage- Hard vs soft vs backpack
« on: June 21, 2015, 11:52:21 AM »
My luggage is due for retirement and thinking of future trips. For business I will be getting some sort of suit carrier but if not traveling for business I have no need to drag a suit with so will just take a single large suitcase. I was looking at hard cases but I remember the last one I had in the 80's was a POS that was difficult to over stuff if  needed. In comparison, when I joined the army I learned how to stuff a pickup truck bed worth of contents into a single duffel bag. This is why I got into soft sided cases. The only negative I see about soft sided cases is the potential to bring back hitch hikers, namely bed bugs, much easier. Also I thought about going to Manila to Palawan or Corozon and thought about dragging luggage around would just be a pain in the azz. For this I thought maybe just a sturdy backpack would be easier all around. However, easy to get too big of a pack that you can't bring it on a flight and stuff in the overhead and would be virtually unsure if you check it in for the cargo hold.

What are your experience with these options in your travels? The advantage, disadvantages? Recommendations in the Philippines? Overall product recommendations?

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Luggage- Hard vs soft vs backpack
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 12:38:10 PM »
I got a backpack when we went on the Ciudad Perdida hike a couple of years ago. Since then I have used it instead of any other suitcase and I love it. You can jam a ton of stuff in it, carry it on your back when you need to and it fits in the over head.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
A nylon duffel works good for me.

Get one that meets the size standards for on-board use if you don't want to check it.

They also work great on pump-boats for those short island-hopping trips.

Ray

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »
In my recent trip to Argentina, a month ago, I bought a bright mint green hard medium-sized suitcase!

Why mint green?   Easy to spot when claiming them at the airports!  Too many black, blue or dark red!  lol

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
Good idea Gato

And the customs people probably figure you aren't smuggling anything with that color...  :D

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
I think we're going with soft and semi hard cases more and more. Seems to hold up better for us and even be able to be mended rather than thrown away than are most 'shell type' cases. I guess some companies have lifetime warranties, but you have to look at how iron clad the warranties are and the upfront cost. That said, 3 or 4 round the world trips is about the most we get from most luggage.

I do agree that color can make a major difference. Some folks use reflective tape, a handkerchief tie and so on also.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline SkyNorth

• EL FUEGO
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
I have been using one of the Patagonia Black Hole Duffles for over 25 years. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68WI2-9KhIY

they have back packs in the line as well.  I do prefer to travel with a pack when I can (larger than a day pack).

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:03 AM »
A nylon duffel works good for me.

Get one that meets the size standards for on-board use if you don't want to check it.

They also work great on pump-boats for those short island-hopping trips.

Ray
Nothing to add except +1, especially if you are going to other islands  you might not get a porter on a pump boat's gangway if lola is in front of you

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »
I have been using one of the Patagonia Black Hole Duffles for over 25 years. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68WI2-9KhIY

they have back packs in the line as well.  I do prefer to travel with a pack when I can (larger than a day pack).

Yea--for sure Patagonia makes mostly very good stuff. But then again, aside from their somewhat reasonably priced duffle bags, especially their Arbor Duffle for $99 that'll hold 60 liters, and that mentioned Black Hole duffle which also holds 60 L and is water proof @ $119, it's so expensive ( more than $300 for smaller rolling tote duffles) and so desired as a 'label' that I'd be tempted to cover the name, lest some one takes it just because it's 'Patagonia' and they know it's good.

Even if I could afford Louis Vuitton ($3550 for one of their entry level bags)  I don't think I'd want to wait for it to come out onto the airport luggage carousel and see it never show.

Patagonia's build quality and warranty's good, but then there's: "Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge."

Patagonia stopped making shoes (they made good ones, partnering with Wolverine) , but I have some of their clothing and when I'm really roughing it, they're comfortable--really hard to beat. But my wife hates it when I wear a Patagonia shirt, (yea--THAT's why I can hardly ever find them in the closet!) as they're typically kind of 'old school' styled--plaid, horizontally striped, even Hawaiian, which she thinks looks tacky-- she just doesn't like the look of most of them.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:51:27 AM by robert angel »

Offline SkyNorth

• EL FUEGO
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »
RA...I agree you can save $50-80 at Walmart and $10-20 if you went with Eagle Creek type gear.  But Why?

If your buying a cotton shirt sure value may win over Patagonia TNF Mountain HW Arcterex Osprey Mountain smith. 

But a real piece of gear why worry about $50 or even more? 

A pair of Levi's cost me $65 if lose a pair of jeans or nice shirt to a blown zipper I have lost money - if I lose my undies OOOO NO -- LOL
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:55:07 PM by SkyNorth »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
RA...I agree you can save $50-80 at Walmart and $10-20 if you went with Eagle Creek type gear.  But Why?

If your buying a cotton shirt sure value may win over Patagonia TNF Mountain HW Arcterex Osprey Mountain smith. 

But a real piece of gear why worry about $50 or even more? 

A pair of Levi's cost me $65 if lose a pair of jeans or nice shirt to a blown zipper I have lost money - if I lose my undies OOOO NO -- LOL

Believe me, I consider quality, style and durability when I buy almost anything. That's why if I'm camping or going to some of the remote uninhabited barrier islands where we live, I'll usually wear (pack) Patagonia, Marmot or Arc'teryx.

I'll probably get the water proof Patagonia 60 liter duffle for $119, but their 60 liter size rollaway--which looks like a duffle but just with a light frame and wheels, starting at $340? No.

My wife does need big luggage that can roll--but a 60L duffel's w/o wheels is just too much weight when she's toting it herself.

Some things you pay twice as much for and they last three times as long. Not all food's the same either. I buy a gallon of 'regular' milk and by the time I'm half or two thirds done, it's spoiling. The local organic milk lasts weeks longer and is cheaper.

I bought an 'as new' but previously owned 'certified' to three years or 100,000 miles Lexus L series four years ago and it's been about trouble free. The little issues were covered.  Can't say the same for most Mercedes I've heard of--even if it's most little things that are going wrong--those 'bells and whistles' cost a lot. And most BMW models fare even worse and that's all reflected in resale value. Speaking of depreciation--one of the worst is BMW. A friend of mine bought a 7 series and has had issue after issue--finally got a Lexus and is one happy lady.

You generally do get what you pay for.

Offline SkyNorth

• EL FUEGO
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
LOL...My Lexus is a Toyota 4X4 truck with the 4.7 L V8.  Probably, the same block as your Lexus. 

When I was married I told the cute girl if she couldn't carry it - She didn't need it...Right.  That philosophy always worked for me.  Of course, I am divorced now.  So be careful using my advice there.  HAHA.

I forgot to tell you the reasons I support Patagonia so aggressively.  I was a retail dealer of theirs in another life.  They are very easy to work with, very philanthropic, make some of the best products around, and Yvon Choinard is a great person.  My opinion they always treated dealers, customers, and employees better than themselves.

Maybe one day we can take our Lexus's for a trip in the Cohutta Wilderness.

Offline Fosgate5

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »
Went with a Samsonite Winfield 2 hard side 24in. 2 reasons. Went with a coworker to Dallas TX, went to pickup his soft sided bag and the thing was sliced end to end down the middle back between the carry handle. That was a brand new bag. This is the ultimate reason though after talking with the little woman this bullet planting problem (Tanim Bala)  is starting to resurface. Now recommended to either use pocketless hard side or wrap your bags once again. 

Carryon, jeez I cant find any spinner pocketless soft side or hardside that will meet the new dimension guidlines of Cebu Pacifics ATA flights
"Carry-on should not exceed the following size and weight restrictions: 115 centimeters ([/size]56 x 36 x 23 cm[/color][/size]) or 45 linear inches (22 x 14 x 9 in) for Airbus flights and 115 centimeters ([/color][/size]56 x 35 x 20 cm[/color][/size]) or 43 linear inches (22 x 13 x 8 in) for ATR flights (dimensions include handles and wheels)"[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Only thing I can find that meets that is a duffle or similar bag. Which means lots of pockets. So I figured I may as well use my Tenba 632-451 14L Action Pack backpack for my GoPro gear, cinch the rain cover on with a lock and call it good. [/color][/size][/font]

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats