It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Back from the Philippines- HAPPY!  (Read 5676 times)

Offline KBD

Back from the Philippines- HAPPY!
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:20:33 AM »
Hey guys, I left for the Philippines April 6, and returned April 23. What a great trip! I must say the time change there really messed with my sleep, took me a few days to get used to it. I arrived in Manila the 7th, at around midnight and my girl picked me up at the airport, with her 2 cousins. Her aunt had invited me to stay at her house many months before, so thats where we went. Her house was huggggggggge! The biggest house and most beautiful house I've ever seen! Me and my girl slept in the guest room that night...and well...we didn't sleep. So much nervousness, lol. The next day was just spent lounging around the house, getting acquainted. I woke up to a hot breakfast, thanks to the maids there, it was great! We went out into town (las pinas) and it was my first ride on a "tricycle". Lol, what a experience. We went to the mall, looked around for a bit then went back home to rest. The next day was quite a adventure. She is from the "province" area, and I had agreed to go there with her for a few days to meet the family, etc. It's located in Alabat Island, Quezon Province. It was a 9 hour bus ride just to where we needed tot ake a 1 hour boat ride to Alabat! We arrived in Alabat, where her aunt and husband were staying also. They are the ones who own the house I stayed in. We arrived in Alabat, and went to her uncles business he owned. We had a awesome lunch, then he took us to a small hotel where we checked in at for a mere 1,000 PHP per night! That night I met lots of my girls old classmates, and we drank for most of the night. Lol. The next morning, we checked out and headed to where her aunt and uncle was staying at. Her uncle is a American, so that was really really cool. We got along really well, we talked for hours that day. My girl and I stayed at the small resort in a tent for 3 days there, it was great! I've never quite experienced anything like that, it was truly unbelievable!  While we were there we hiked into the interior of the island, and her aunt showed us where she grew up at. So so beautiful! The following day we hiked to a cave, where I got pooped on by bats, lol! It was great fun though. The next day we departed Alabat, sadly. Her friends cried the day I left. :( We returned in Las Pinas late that night, and two days later we left for Boracay! We spent 4 nights and 5 days in Boracay. Never in my life have I seen such a beautiful place, with such nice people. After our stay in Boracay we returned to Las Pinas once again, where I only had 4 days left in the Philippines. We had a great time, and by this time her aunt and uncle were home from province. The day before I left, we all went to China town and shopped for a few hours, then went to the Mall of Asia on a "double date" so to say. The odd thing was that her auncle is 50, and I'm only 23! My girl is 19, so we got lotsss of weird looks, lol. We saw a movie that night, then chatted near the ocean for awhile outside the mall. We went back home, and thats when she started crying non-stop. I didn't want to leave-it was hard to let go. I am returning to the Philippines this August, and will be there for the rest of the year-can't wait! We planned on getting married then. Sound to good to be true?

Take a look:
http://dannphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/8036207_LbVGC#523067773_CtFGB
http://dannphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/8032280_eAoM8#522714933_uqmWo
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kenny2428/QuezonProvinceAlabatIslandPhilippines#

Offline KBD

Re: Back from the Philippines- HAPPY!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:34:13 AM »
When I said "We arrived in Alabat, where her aunt and husband were staying also. They are the ones who own the house I stayed in", I meant her aunt and uncle, not aunt and husband!

Offline Dave H

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:40:35 AM »
Hi KBD,

Congratulations to you and your lovely lady! It looks like you had a great time!

Dave
The developmentally disabled madman!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:40:35 AM »

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:14:01 AM »
KBD,

Sounds like an incredible trip. Congratulations - I wish you and your girl the very best. Was this the first time that you had met her in person?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:42:55 AM by Capstone »

Offline KBD

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:03:18 AM »
Yeah it was the first time we met, in person.

Offline TurboSS

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 07:47:34 AM »
Congratulations. sounds like you had a great time. :)

I am only 27 so I really like seeing stories like this from guys close to my own age since I don't think there are many of us on here.

I do have one question because it applies to me being young.  You talked about marriage and your only 23.  Do you already have a job that can support both of you and buy a house a car for her etc, or is she going to work when she gets here or what is the plan? 

I am actually graduating with my masters degree today but I don't have a job yet and with this economy I am pretty certain when I find a job I am going to have to accept much less pay than what i would earn during an economic boom.  So money is one of my biggest concerns about getting married especially to a foreign girl who is going to have trouble finding any decent paying job here.

Offline Bear

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »
You have some nice pictures KBD.  I've never been to Boracay and I've always wanted to go.  Glad it was more than you expected.  Take melatonin (over the counter) for 2-3 days at bed time to end the jet lag.

The Bear Family

Offline KBD

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 12:57:13 AM »

I am only 27 so I really like seeing stories like this from guys close to my own age since I don't think there are many of us on here.

I do have one question because it applies to me being young.  You talked about marriage and your only 23.  Do you already have a job that can support both of you and buy a house a car for her etc, or is she going to work when she gets here or what is the plan? 

I am actually graduating with my masters degree today but I don't have a job yet and with this economy I am pretty certain when I find a job I am going to have to accept much less pay than what i would earn during an economic boom.  So money is one of my biggest concerns about getting married especially to a foreign girl who is going to have trouble finding any decent paying job here.

Congrats on getting your masters degree! Yes, my job can support us...it's more than adequate. However, I am choosing to live in the Philippines with her, and my money goes a longgggggg ways there! Here in the USA I'm not even close to being rich, but there in the Phils, I feel like a millionaire. My girlfriend doesn't want to live in the USA, and neither do I. My job as a merchant mariner allows me to live there with her for months at a time. This August I'm returning there and I'm staying for the remainder of the year. I cannot wait!! Her family is very welcoming, and her aunt having a American husband is a plus to me. Bear, yah jet lag kicked my butt the night I arrived in Manila. I literally couldn't sleep for days! I'll remember to take that the next time I return to the Philippines. Thanks for the comment on my pictures, it's my hobby.

Offline TurboSS

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:23 PM »
I understand.  Ya your pretty fortunate with your employment situation and flexibility.  Also, the fact you don't want to live in the US anymore helps. 

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »

I do as well. Great pictures too. They really show how sincere your new g/f looks. Some very nice beaches too. When I hear the M word after one visit that does catch my attention, but he is going to have several months to really get to know her which is way different than most situations.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline KBD

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 01:53:48 AM »
I do as well. Great pictures too. They really show how sincere your new g/f looks. Some very nice beaches too. When I hear the M word after one visit that does catch my attention, but he is going to have several months to really get to know her which is way different than most situations.

Thanks for the kind words. It's looking like I will get to stay there for upwards of two years with my current income...absolutely a dream come true! life is good.  :D

Offline Stagga

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. It's looking like I will get to stay there for upwards of two years with my current income...absolutely a dream come true! life is good.  :D

Hey KBD

Congratulations! I'm happy for you.

Say hello to Ate Ele and Kuya Steve aka the funny guy.  ;D ;D hahahha small world!

Lang-Lang :)

Offline KBD

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
Hey KBD

Congratulations! I'm happy for you.

Say hello to Ate Ele and Kuya Steve aka the funny guy.  ;D ;D hahahha small world!

Lang-Lang :)

Small world indeed!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »

Offline joemc58

• Opted-Out
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »
Hey KBD,
             It sounds like you had a good time for your self. thanks for sharing the pictures
             Just was wondering what are seafarers shipping rules they days. only permanent jobs were Bosuns and
             Chief Stewards when I was sailing. But when I first started sailing full book members were like permanent
             jobs. I would meet some sailors staying aboard ship 10 years or so, without getting off the ship.
             Then the union started rotating jobs, A books six months, B books 125 days.
             also was wondering how long is your registration good for when you are sitting on the beach.
             I had plans living in the Phils years back, when there was a union hall in Yokohamma, Japan.
             then the union close it.  These days I kick myself in the arse, without retiring my book,when
             I stopped going to sea. If you plan on extended time in the Phils, where will you shipped from.
             Yeah at times I miss it, but don't regret it.  Just happy for the wife I found 27 years ago.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:52:38 PM by joemc58 »

Offline KBD

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 01:16:11 AM »
My contracts are 4 months. However, I'm taking a long break from sea. I can return to sea at anytime I'd like, but I might be pursuing different job opps later on. We'll see!

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 08:37:33 AM »
Nice pics and looks like you had a great time! Sorry for posting so late.

As a young professional guy (26) I would be more worried about time off than money, even in this economy. If I was working a salaried job I would only have about one week of vacation a year. Running my own practice, getting away for more than a week or so is really difficult. Not to mention that a young professional is going to put in 60-70 hours/week and you don't want to fall behind. I'm in court every week and you can't just not show up at a hearing...and what happens when you buy the plane ticket a month ahead and then all of a sudden the week before you leave a client needs immediate help for the same days as your vacation? It's a royal pain in the butt. I've got a large amount of money sitting in the bank but nervous as hell about buying tickets. I was thinking I'd go to China in June, but I don't have a week free now. Trying to leave a week and a half in mid-July open.

Oh, and if you're young, tech savvy, motivated, not buried in debt, and can get a loan, now is a great time to start a business I think. The competition has trouble lowering their price, there is huge potential in localized internet advertising, and it's easy to under-cut the competition. I could charge half the typical hourly rate and I'd still have a net profit of $5k/month or so, which is plenty for a young guy in a small town, though certainly not glamorous.

Offline KBD

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »
Nice pics and looks like you had a great time! Sorry for posting so late.

As a young professional guy (26) I would be more worried about time off than money, even in this economy. If I was working a salaried job I would only have about one week of vacation a year. Running my own practice, getting away for more than a week or so is really difficult. Not to mention that a young professional is going to put in 60-70 hours/week and you don't want to fall behind. I'm in court every week and you can't just not show up at a hearing...and what happens when you buy the plane ticket a month ahead and then all of a sudden the week before you leave a client needs immediate help for the same days as your vacation? It's a royal pain in the butt. I've got a large amount of money sitting in the bank but nervous as hell about buying tickets. I was thinking I'd go to China in June, but I don't have a week free now. Trying to leave a week and a half in mid-July open.

Oh, and if you're young, tech savvy, motivated, not buried in debt, and can get a loan, now is a great time to start a business I think. The competition has trouble lowering their price, there is huge potential in localized internet advertising, and it's easy to under-cut the competition. I could charge half the typical hourly rate and I'd still have a net profit of $5k/month or so, which is plenty for a young guy in a small town, though certainly not glamorous.

Thanks for the kind response. I'm thankful my job allows me to take considerable time off, granted I am off on a "leave of absence". About starting my own business, some of my income is made from photography. I can shoot a few weddings per month, and make an extra 4-5K per month. Right now I'm not making near that much w photography as the economy is bad, but it's enough. What I do know is that right now, I can stay in the Philippines pretty much as long as I'd like. My parents are very supportive of my decision.  ;)

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 23