It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Landed in Barranquilla Pt2: Sick as a Dog  (Read 29159 times)

Offline vikingo

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Landed in Barranquilla Pt2: Sick as a Dog
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
No, bcc. I've had a stomach problem only once while living here, but if you insist  I've had them twice, I'm not going to lose sleep over it...

Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Offline Stevieboy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
No, bcc. I've had a stomach problem only once while living here, but if you insist  I've had them twice, I'm not going to lose sleep over it...
I think you mentioned in a post that you might have gotten sick eating fish. I myself ate ceviche at a little "choke and puke" (Smokey & Bandit quote)  in a neighborhood.. Infact, I kept eating two more orders because it tasted so good with the several beers I kept downing.   

Offline vikingo

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2013, 03:27:26 AM »
Stevie, never got sick from eating fish in Barranquilla but I finally gave up buying it because it just doesn't taste fresh. If there was a fish market here where you go early in the morning and buy the day's catch, that would be great. But with almost constant 90º temperatures, as early as 8 o'clock in the morning, by the time fish gets to the stores without being properly refrigerated, because fishermen can't afford it, the quality leaves a lot to be desired and on other note, nothing spoils faster than shrimp. The locals here eat anything, so nobody ever complains. You were lucky though getting a hold of some fresh ceviche.
There is an other problem that enters into this which makes me think twice of buying fish: The water of the Magdalena river and the sea as well is contaminated from third world uncontrolled pollution.
Locals in the lower barrios throw their trash in the creeks and rivers that cross the cities and use it as a garbage disposal, oilfilters , car batteries from auto repair shops, you name it. The next heavy rain flushes everything into the Magdalena and from there it goes into the ocean surrounding the city. I can imagine that fish caught in local waters is somewhat contaminated. You really don't find clean beaches without contaminated water until you get far away from the big city, let's say Santa Veronica on the coastal road to Cartagena. Unfortunately these people don't use trash cans but throw their trash in the streets where it ends up in the water ways because of the rain and because Barranquilla has no storm sewers for rainwater runoff.
It can get interesting when you're in traffic and a heavy down poor surprises you with foot deep water in the streets. BTW, the curbs here are a lot higher than what we're used to, so rain water can't get into the houses, not into most houses anyway, depending on your barrio.
Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2013, 03:27:26 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »

It can get interesting when you're in traffic and a heavy down poor surprises you with foot deep water in the streets. BTW, the curbs here are a lot higher than what we're used to, so rain water can't get into the houses, not into most houses anyway, depending on your barrio.

Sounds a lot like St. Augustine, Florida and Savannah, Georgia--except they don't have high sidewalks. When there's a heavy downpour, especially around high tide or if there's a full moon, you can kayak down the streets downtown. Happens several times a year at least and after a while, you know which side streets are dry and maneuverable and which ones to avoid.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Stevieboy

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2013, 10:10:55 AM »
But with almost constant 90º temperatures, as early as 8 o'clock in the morning, by the time fish gets to the stores without being properly refrigerated, because fishermen can't afford it, the quality leaves a lot to be desired and on other note, nothing spoils faster than shrimp. The locals here eat anything, so nobody ever complains. You were lucky though getting a hold of some fresh ceviche.

What makes you think I had fresh fish? Ceviche also has shrimp in it. You can't tell how fresh it is, because it's covered with mayonnaise, lime juice, and vegetables.  I remember walking the streets with the open markets in the hot afternoon and watching all these fish laying in the open sun on tables. I never thought to think about what body of water they came from, but definitely wondered how long since they had been caught were they sitting in the hot sun growing bacteria. I didn't stop to think later when I ordered ceviche a mile away, that they may have come from these markets, because I was a little drunk and in the company of a nice looking gal. Another thing I must admit, is that since I'm Hispanic and have lived and eaten in Mexico, I wouldn't get sick.   

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2013, 10:27:29 AM »
It can get interesting when you're in traffic and a heavy down poor surprises you with foot deep water in the streets....

Ahhhhh....los arroyos...cómo los extraño.

What makes you think I had fresh fish? Ceviche also has shrimp in it. You can't tell how fresh it is, because it's covered with mayonnaise, lime juice, and vegetables.  I remember walking the streets with the open markets in the hot afternoon and watching all these fish laying in the open sun on tables. I never thought to think about what body of water they came from, but definitely wondered how long since they had been caught were they sitting in the hot sun growing bacteria. I didn't stop to think later when I ordered ceviche a mile away, that they may have come from these markets, because I was a little drunk and in the company of a nice looking gal. Another thing I must admit, is that since I'm Hispanic and have lived and eaten in Mexico, I wouldn't get sick.   

Again, not sure why men feel so comfortable eating anything put in front of them in Barranquilla. If you were in some 3rd World Country in Africa you would automatically be cautious of every single food and beverage you were given. Anyone that has been to Barranquilla that's not blind can see that in many parts of the city the living conditions are comparable to that of a 3rd World Country in Africa. So I don't understand why men feel so invincible there. I had my little episode with the water because I was trying to acclimate myself to it. I made myself sick on purpose to never get sick again. But some of you guys stories really trip me out! Oh well...lessons learned, no?!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:33:16 AM by benjio »

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »

Again, not sure why men feel so comfortable eating anything put in front of them in Barranquilla. If you were in some 3rd World Country in Africa you would automatically be cautious of every single food and beverage you were given.
I'd be scared [snip]less eating there from what I've heard. Probably end up drinking a lot of Gatorade and pre-packaged stuff to get by.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline whitey

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
The dangers of eating and drinking in Barranquilla and Colombia are vastly, vastly overstated here ... a worst case scenario unless you are extremely incautious or unlucky would be a case of traveller's diarrhea ... no different than Mexico or countless other places including restaurants in your own home town ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Stevieboy

« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »
The dangers of eating and drinking in Barranquilla and Colombia are vastly, vastly overstated here ... a worst case scenario unless you are extremely incautious or unlucky would be a case of traveller's diarrhea ... no different than Mexico or countless other places including restaurants in your own home town ...
If it's vastly overstated, then some of us are "vastly" unlucky. I don't think anyone, especially myself, are exaggerating. Just the way it happened. I may have not explained myself clearly when I mentioned Mexico. I meant to say that because I had eaten and was used to eating in Mexico, that I boasted I was immune to illness anywhere else, therefore, wasn't careful.

Offline whitey

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »
Stevie ... what I meant to refer to was the extent of the "danger" being vastly overrated.

On my list of concerns about visiting Colombia, I would place this near the bottom of the list and it shouldn't be a reason for any normal healthy person not to consider visiting Colombia.

I would hate to see anyone scared off about going there for this ... if so, you may as well cross any non-western country off your list and stay home.

Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline Stevieboy

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
Stevie ... what I meant to refer to was the extent of the "danger" being vastly overrated.

I would hate to see anyone scared off about going there for this ... if so, you may as well cross any non-western country off your list and stay home.
Well, I have been definitely scared. I almost went to the hospital. And yet I'm ready to go back. If a man is afraid to go for fear of getting sick, so be it. More women for me. They also need to read the posts as to what was eaten and what basic rules were broken. I wasn't in careful. I don't think many here would even eat raw fish in lime juice with mayonnaise anyway.   

Offline Ricardo1

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
I tend to agree with Whitey...
In 2001 I lived in Barranquilla for 3 months (Feb. to May), and I don't recall getting sick from food or restaurants - and I ate in homes a number of times, and ate comida tipia or corriente daily (where locals eat). 
I also bought fruit smoothies from vendors on the streets. 
Maybe I was lucky, but I was also very careful...

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
I don't think we should classify eating street food as being careful. Glad you didn't get sick... but just saying.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »

Offline gyounger

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »
Well, I have been definitely scared. I almost went to the hospital. And yet I'm ready to go back. If a man is afraid to go for fear of getting sick, so be it. More women for me. They also need to read the posts as to what was eaten and what basic rules were broken. I wasn't in careful. I don't think many here would even eat raw fish in lime juice with mayonnaise anyway.

I love raw fish in lime juice (ceviche).
The acid in the lime juice cooks the fish but I hate mayo. That stuff is gross IMO.

Offline Stevieboy

« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »
I love raw fish in lime juice (ceviche).
The acid in the lime juice cooks the fish but I hate mayo. That stuff is gross IMO.
Mayo isn't bad if used lightly like on a tuna sandwich. The corvina (sea bass) ceviche I had at a restaurant at the market at Casco Viejo in Panama City was the best I've had in years. Even better than Mexico's.  Mexico uses too much lime sometimes or even tomato, but in Panama, they served it without a bunch of lime juice, in a pile of other large fish chunks and crunchy vegetables. The kicker, is they add green olives and olive oil which makes for a Mediterranean flavor that kicks ass.           

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 130