It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Gold and Violence  (Read 1752 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Gold and Violence
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
It seems that in most places, where there's money, and especially gold, there's violence. In desperate Venezuela, it's certainly no surprise...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-04-09/the-bloody-grab-for-gold-in-venezuela-s-most-dangerous-town
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline buencamino3

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Gold and Violence
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:00:26 PM »
You have no idea of the devastation ilegal gold mining has caused in Colombia both socially and environmentally!
Hermosamente feliz

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:06:00 PM »
You have no idea of the devastation ilegal gold mining has caused in Colombia both socially and environmentally!

Oh yes I do, BC3--or if not exactly IN Colombia, I can nonetheless relate---

You see, my wife's late Father was for many years, the "Kapitan"--the 'Mayor' of their Barangay (village/district/ward) in which my wife--her whole big family, grew up in.

And there's a LOT of gold in that area--in Mindanao, period.

There, a well connected person who was generally despised by the villagers, had gold mining interests, including the highly toxic, poisonous refining processing center on the edge of their village, one that my Father in law eventually, despite the corruption from much higher up the govt ladder, got shut down.

The bastard set it up in their village, because he knew the Kapitan kept law and order--that there was less a chance they'd rob the refinery in their village while my father in law was the Kapitan. He could've well been murdered for his effort in kicking the greedy prick's 'refinery' out--murder for profit's common.

Her Cousin was just killed last month--shot dead in his car, with his wife and two kids inside, because he had become too successful burning coconut husks/shells and selling the charcoal for filtration. Obviously someone wanted the business--and he wasn't rich by any of our standards, nor flamboyant.

But the gold refinery owning prick even (amazingly unsuccessfully) tried to buy everyone's vote to defeat my Father in law in elections. Sure, they took the money, but uncharacteristically for that area, they STILL voted for my Father in law--re electing him numerous times.

Why? He was the man who brought electricity, a tall water tower that piped water to every home (no more walking to the well for drinking, washing) --a new school, expanded the church, built an infirmary, brought in a nutritional supplement (vitamins, rice) program, and TWO, FULL sized concrete slab basketball courts, that also set up for volleyball and badminton, bicycle riding, for the fiesta and their festival, etc.

And Filipinos are absolutely, unquestionably, the worlds  biggest (rabid) basketball fans!

It was getting into the water table--cyanide and mercury were among the ingredients in the process they used.

But in the neighboring barangays--the hills--mountains nearby, they were pocketed with sloppy, dirty mines and smaller holes, the mines permitted by the corrupt govt. This left them looking like their once verdant hills were devastated from Vietnam war era heavy mortar fire. Of course there were mudslides. My family there won't even let me go near some of those areas--too dangerous.

Th miners regularly got into murderous battles with 'free lancers'--the non govt aligned miners, trying for even a nugget or two to feed their often hungry families. They'd think nothing of shooting you dead over a little hole in the hill, along with any unfortunate witnesses....

Yes, it is a filthy, toxic murderous business that for us--was literally 'too close to home' for us to NOT worry about.

And my Father in law never took a single peso, not one bribe. Cancer finally brought him down, but he was a helluva a man!!!!!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:06:00 PM »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
not to mention the mercury they use that ends up in the rivers and eventually in the oceans. is why i dont eat seafood.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
not to mention the mercury they use that ends up in the rivers and eventually in the oceans. is why i dont eat seafood.
I do realize that my posts are probably too long for many to read. If so, please go on and move along--no skin off my nose! 8)

But I did make the reference just above, related to Mudd referenced quote and it's not just 3rd world nations where gold,  other mineral mining and assorted industries, are nasty, toxic businesses. Also take a look at the beef, pork and poultry businesses here and abroad, for starters.

I live at the end of a 400 mile long river that STARTS at a notorious nuclear plant, known for 'accidental' radioactive releases. (well, those that others 'catch' them upon accidental releases anyway) That river then flows past paper mill's discharge, past countless pig and poultry farms, that release their doomed animal's sh!t and what's left of their carcasses, into the river. You think we swim in the river or eat the fish?

The very nature of pollution, especially on a large scale, is almost entirely based on profit motivation. It's just a helluva of lot cheaper to dump stuff anywhere, than it is to pay to have it handled correctly.

And here, as in 3rd world countries, mining companies line the pockets of politicians big time and miners still work in mines that are not constructed to adhere to standard, 'safe' construction laws 'on the books'.

Men, women and children totally removed from the mine's operations, are still poisoned by illegal pollution and other after effects from their mining.

As for gold, silver, copper--for precious and to an extent, also for semiprecious metal and stone mining:

"""It was getting into the water table--cyanide and mercury were among the ingredients in the process they used."""

Yep, people still die in preventable mine catastrophies here and abroad. Sure men, women and  children still die slow, painful deaths from cancer and other illneses from the mining industry's pollution--those poisons we both mentioned, as well as others---lead, etc. 

But other, more influential people---those with 'connections', THEY continue to operate, often are given govt. approval to expand and are typically getting richer.

By and large: Pollution = Profit
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:07:15 PM by robert angel »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
robert,

yes long post lol

but you can buy beef, chicken from local farmers( depending where you live, big cities would be a problem) in san diego, their are many places/ local farms  you can buy local eggs, beef, chicken, pork  that dont come from big farms where they use hormones, steroids and are acceptable to pollution.

i remember some years ago, i was in  Sprouts, small health grocery store, they had several  types of beef, one was from a small family owned farm in Colorado. package said " family owned farm, no steroids or meat fed by products"  it had a phone number, so i thought i would call.  i was surprised, somebody actually answered the phone. so i asked him, what was the difference between their beef and say " butchers cut" at albertsons?

his answer was " our cows are not fed with meat by product feed. we dont use steroids .our farm has been owned by the same family for 40 years.  the beef you buy a big local grocery stores, buy their beef from big beef commodities beef sale houses, they really have no idea where the beef came from, some could come from Texas, some from Nebraska"

growing up, we had our own chickens, for eggs and meat. i can tell you, the chickens we ate and the eggs  had way more flavor than anything you could buy in a store.

you are what you eat. but kind-of hard to raise your own fish lol.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »
robert,

yes long post lol

but you can buy beef, chicken from local farmers( depending where you live, big cities would be a problem) in san diego, their are many places/ local farms  you can buy local eggs, beef, chicken, pork  that dont come from big farms where they use hormones, steroids and are acceptable to pollution.

i remember some years ago, i was in  Sprouts, small health grocery store, they had several  types of beef, one was from a small family owned farm in Colorado. package said " family owned farm, no steroids or meat fed by products"  it had a phone number, so i thought i would call.  i was surprised, somebody actually answered the phone. so i asked him, what was the difference between their beef and say " butchers cut" at albertsons?

his answer was " our cows are not fed with meat by product feed. we dont use steroids .our farm has been owned by the same family for 40 years.  the beef you buy a big local grocery stores, buy their beef from big beef commodities beef sale houses, they really have no idea where the beef came from, some could come from Texas, some from Nebraska"

growing up, we had our own chickens, for eggs and meat. i can tell you, the chickens we ate and the eggs  had way more flavor than anything you could buy in a store.

you are what you eat. but kind-of hard to raise your own fish lol.

In the USA, 'farm' animals, raised for human consumption, get more hormones and antibiotics than the people do.

No wonder by third grade, girls need bras and boys start developing mustaches.

We only eat wild, ocean caught seafood and try to be careful about everything we eat and drink. But going healthy in the USA isn't cheap for sure...

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »
Robert angel said:
We only eat wild, ocean caught seafood and try to be careful about everything we eat and drink. But going healthy in the USA isn't cheap for sure...
Don't be so sure about that moniker on seafood. Look into what is defined as 'Wild caught' or 'ocean seafood'. The reason I say this is we used to make a fish food additive that was supposed to boost the Omega-3 Fatty Acid in 'wild salmon' for a large (well known) chemical company. The 'wild' salmon were kept in 'pens' about 15~20 miles off the coast of Peru. The food was loaded into artillery shells. After wind and temperature adjustments, it was fired out at these 'pens' with great accuracy where it was dispersed to the masses. An interesting note was that the fish detected the 'boom' from the cannon and would migrate closer to the surface where they would be ready for the feed! As an extra benefit, there wasn't any issue about dealing with water pH because of fish crap. The ocean took care of all that!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »
Robert angel said:Don't be so sure about that moniker on seafood. Look into what is defined as 'Wild caught' or 'ocean seafood'. The reason I say this is we used to make a fish food additive that was supposed to boost the Omega-3 Fatty Acid in 'wild salmon' for a large (well known) chemical company. The 'wild' salmon were kept in 'pens' about 15~20 miles off the coast of Peru. The food was loaded into artillery shells. After wind and temperature adjustments, it was fired out at these 'pens' with great accuracy where it was dispersed to the masses. An interesting note was that the fish detected the 'boom' from the cannon and would migrate closer to the surface where they would be ready for the feed! As an extra benefit, there wasn't any issue about dealing with water pH because of fish crap. The ocean took care of all that!

So true. Labels are deceptive at best, restaurants will swear a $40 fish is wild caught Chilean Sea Bass, Grouper, Red Snapper, on and on, when at best, it's much cheaper and abundant cod or even carp, farm salmon is artificially colored, sold as wild, a lot of sea scallops are stamped out shark meat, just a whole lotta lying and like pollution, it's to make a bigger profit.

Flown over miles and seemingly more, endless miles of vast ocean in Asia, all enclosed fish farms, stinky, nasty as hell and I've heard that there and right here in the USA, they feed the fish sewage, cardboard pellets etc, let them eat each other basically anything to make their already genetically modified fish bodies, grow bigger, faster.

They've spliced genes from Artic Cod into tomatoes and now those tomatoes are freeze resistant.

I'm not Jewish or Muslim, but wonder what they think (if they even know) about scientists now taking pig genes and splicing them into the genomes of other non pig species.

It never ends, nor ceases to amaze me. $$$$$
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:44:43 AM by robert angel »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300