It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Visa Question...Colombia..  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: > 10
Visa Question...Colombia..
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »
My good friend is starting the K-1 Visa process. For those that married Colombian women....did you go to the interview with her in Bogota?

I know its not required...but it does help to make sure everything goes smoothly. I had heard "horror stories" about the Embassy in Peru with the women going alone.....so I made sure I was there for my wifes interview.

Any feedback on your own experiences about the embassy in Bogota or what you have heard from others is greatly appreciated.

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Visa Question...Colombia..
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:33:11 AM »
My good friend is starting the K-1 Visa process. For those that married Colombian women....did you go to the interview with her in Bogota?

I know its not required...but it does help to make sure everything goes smoothly. I had heard "horror stories" about the Embassy in Peru with the women going alone.....so I made sure I was there for my wifes interview.

Any feedback on your own experiences about the embassy in Bogota or what you have heard from others is greatly appreciated.

When I went to embassy interview with my wife, that didn't even look at the photos, phone records and other proof of a relationship that I brought.

They simply asked me to step away and then asked my wife some questions and then they asked her to step away from the window and aked me the same questions. A couple of the questions that I remember were: How, when and where did you meet? and How many times have you come to Colombia to visit your wife?

After I answered the questions they told me to come back at 2:00pm to pick up my wife's visa. It was very quick, no more than 10 or 15 mins.

Offline Looking4Wife

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:58:18 AM »
I accompanied my wife to her (CR-1) visa interview, just this month.  She was approved.

A good friend of mine (via discussion boards) did not accompany his (then) fiancee to her K-1 interview about a year ago.  She was approved.

However, like you, I've heard many stories about people not being approved that went alone.

I was glad I was there with my wife.  I didn't want her to go thru it alone, and I probably wouldn't have been able to focus on work or anything else knowing that she was going thru it.

There are literally hundreds of personal experiences people share on www.visajourney.com

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:58:18 AM »

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:28:46 AM »
My wife's visa interview was so short and such a non-event that I turned to her after it was over and asked her, "That was it?" They didn't really ask any questions other than to match the kids up with their names and ages.

Offline papi

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:33:15 AM »
Not to change the subject, but I am back in the USA and sending the petition this week. This is what I plan to send:

- Payment in the amount of $170.00.
- I-129F
- G-325A and passport style photo (Petitioner)
- G-325A and passport style photo (Beneficiary)
- Copy of my Birth certificate
- Photo page from my passport
- Letter certifying intent to marry (Petitioner and Beneficiary)
- Proof of having met in person in the past two years (in the form of copies of my plane ticket, hotel and a few photos together)

I am hoping this will suffice.
Red Bull may give you wings, but if Flakes could fly - BAQ is in fact an airport

Offline papi

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:45:27 AM »
on attending the interview - i think it is a good idea for both to go
Red Bull may give you wings, but if Flakes could fly - BAQ is in fact an airport

Offline sean126

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:46:43 AM »
Chris,

I didn't go to the interview for the K-1 with her.  I made sure she had everything she needed and then some, to take with her.  She said her interview was maybe 15 minutes and she was approved.  The longest time was waiting around to talk to someone she said.  Friends and family of my wife who went through it also, also went alone to the interview with no problems.  If they need additional paperwork they will tell her and then re-schedule.

Offline papi

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 07:53:57 AM »
Sean, that is good news. Maybe then I won't bother to go. She lives in Bogota so if there is an issue I can come back if something needs to be rescheduled. Do you recall what documents you had translated? For the initial petition, I am not sending in anything with an official translation

Offline sean126

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:08:46 AM »
For the initial petition theres nothing that needs to be translated. 

For the other stuff...I believe I had her get a copy of her birth certificate and  her baptismal record translated.  I think that's it, but I'm not 100% sure.  She was single and never married with no kids, so I'm not sure on divorces, widows and women with kids.

I had her get and translate 2 or 3 copies of her birth certificate to keep here in the U.S.....just in case. Also, I had her get a reference from her boss saying what she did and how good she was, on company letter head and I had her translate that....I figure that would help on her first job or something.

My friend, who just came over here...when she got to the interview, they said they needed 3 years tax returns on her fiance.  Apparently he only gave them one year's. She had to re-schedule with Bogota because of that.  It was no problem, just a delay. 

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 08:19:44 AM »
Do you recall what documents you had translated? For the initial petition, I am not sending in anything with an official translation

It's been a while (but I doubt that part has changed), last time I looked, the instructions said that ALL documents not in English needed to be translated by a 'competent' (not 'official') person and that said competent person includes a statement (for EACH document) attesting to his/her competency.

Offline papi

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 08:26:16 AM »
yes, i read that too but i really don't have any documents in spanish for the initial petition

Offline michaelb

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 08:35:51 AM »
yes, i read that too but i really don't have any documents in Spanish for the initial petition
Well, I'm not looking at the papers right this minute, but I'd be VERY surprised if it didn't want her birth certificate....hey, if you're actually looking at the papers right now and they don't ask for that, well OK.

Offline papi

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »
you don't need it on the initial petition...that is my understanding. I guess the Birth and DAS papers should later be translated

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 06:18:32 PM »
I think each person at an embassy goes through about 130+ interviews per day, so I wouldn't think they'd have too much time for in-depth investigation/interrogation.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 09:15:29 PM »
There are a few who get the third degree. When I was there, I met an old gringo who was trying to get a fiancee visa for a young Colombiana. This was their fourth attempt. Every time they would neither approve nor deny but just tell them to come back. Finally got approved on the fourth try. 

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 187