It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: COASTAL SPANISH vs STANDARD SPANISH  (Read 3595 times)

Offline DC561

COASTAL SPANISH vs STANDARD SPANISH
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:27:10 PM »
What up fellas,

I'm talking to a Colombian mami from the 'burbs of CTG I met through one of these social networking sites. On the real, this girl's got a massive booty and mad cute face, but the thing I'm worried about is speaking the language. The other day, we were chatting by microphones, and when she started speaking Spanish I didn't understand a word, which is real messed up since i took 2 semesters in college. It sounded like the girl was speaking some Jamaican dialect of Spanish, vowels disappearing all over the joint, LMAO. Communications real important, and I can't be asking a chick to be repeating herself twice or slowly otherwise it gets in the way of the chemistry. Do any of you dudes running up on the coast run into the same problems? Did you end up learning the dialect after staying there a while. I might have to start checking the chicks in the interior if the dialect is a problem....

Big heads up. I'm out!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:37:57 PM by sean126 »

Offline bigstew33

Re: COASTAL SPANISH vs STANDARD SPANISH
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
My translator I use in barranquilla used to live in Cartagena.  She told me that the people in Cartagena do cut up words.  Leave off endings etc.  So your 2 semesters of Spanish are not a waste of time.  You just have to learn a new version of Spanish.  lol 

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:25:16 PM »
It's just another dialect. Costa Ricans that I have met speak a nice clear easy to understand Spanish.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:25:16 PM »

Offline DC561

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:17:39 AM »
Mos' definitely....... I can understand the peoples from Central America much better, but with the MS-13 wilding out and getting crazy on tourists, I ain't going there anytime soon... Girls from those places don't seem to have much in the T&A department anyway.....Need something to hold on to, know what I'm saying. Holler

Offline jmcooper002

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »
Well I am in really big trouble then. My best friend is Costa Rican, and they speak so damn fast that I can barely understand them. It is not like the Mexican Spanish the speak slower and are easier to understand. So Colombia is even harder to understand oh dios mio! I had better learn Spanish better.

Offline michaelb

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:06:10 PM »
Mexicans are easiest to understand (at least in my experience) jmcooper is right, they speak slowly (at least compared to other Spanish speakers) and they 'sing' when they speak. Costa Ricans are fairly easy to understand too (and most of the ones I've met claim they speak Spanish better, or to use their word, 'purer' than all the other countries). Colombians (at least the ones I know, which would be from Bucaramanga and Cali) are not as easy to understand as Mexicans and Ticas, but not THAT hard to keep up with.....now, if you want people who are IMPOSSIBLE to understand, I just have one word for you: Cuba

Offline utopiacowboy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 10:13:17 PM »
I don't find Mexicans that easy to understand, at least for me, although I talk Spanish with them most often because there are so many of them here. Colombians from Medellin and Costa Ricans are the ones that I have no trouble with. Costenos speak a different variant and they can be difficult to understand.

Offline JamesDonut

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »
Well I am in really big trouble then. My best friend is Costa Rican, and they speak so damn fast that I can barely understand them. It is not like the Mexican Spanish the speak slower and are easier to understand. So Colombia is even harder to understand oh dios mio! I had better learn Spanish better.

Mexicans are the hardest for me to understand.  Since I learned my spanish in Puerto Rico, Colombianos and Españoles are very easy to understand.  Every country has their own dialect of spanish if you will.  Just like people in the UK speak a lot different than people from the US.  Or even people in the deep south speak way differently than people from California.

Also keep in mind that 2 semesters in college Spanish is not even the tip of the iceberg.  I'm not  saying it won't help, but you've got a long road to travel to understanding and speaking really good spanish.   
Revel In the Past, Party In the Present, Save Donuts for the Future.

Offline michaelb

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:10:49 PM »
Since I learned my spanish in Puerto Rico,

Since you learned in Puerto Rico, you can probably understand Cubans. :) You probably even know what 'foforo' and 'guagua' mean. Cubans and Puerto Ricans speak practically the same, which is to say, nothing like any of the others.

Offline JamesDonut

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 07:25:35 PM »
Hehe, yeah Cubans are very easy to understand as well, along with Dominicans.  Foforo and Guagua is Boricua 101.  You know you've been here a long time if you know the difference between Guaynabo, Guaynabana, Guancia, Guanime y Guayabera.    :o
Revel In the Past, Party In the Present, Save Donuts for the Future.

Offline michaelb

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »
Nope, I'll have to admit you got me on those words. Been too long since I had any Cubans to talk to, mostly Mexicans here in Texas.

Offline valuedcustomer

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 06:50:37 PM »
My wife is from Santa Marta and speaks excellent Spanish.  I can understand everything she says.  Plus, her accent in English sounds nicer than someone from Bogota speaking English (at least according to my wife :) )  But, people from the coast when they get together can speak extremely fast.  When she gets together with her sister their speach is just a blur of chipmunk noises and I understand nothing they say.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:54:13 PM by valuedcustomer »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864