It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Change in Direction  (Read 12644 times)

Gato4Astrid

Re: Change in Direction
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 07:03:24 AM »
I don't live in Luxury by any means, nor do I want to.  Just a simple yet comfortable life with some good food to cook, good people to spend my time with, and some weights to throw around and I'll be snug as a bug in a rug.  8)

+1

Offline Awesome

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »

Awesome, your way off base here…I think I've told you in another post, what has shaped most of my opinions on women, and life in general etc was based on my travel around the world and being raised in Europe and  my exposure to many different cultures and countries.

I share these idea's with the board not to be judged 2 months later, but because they are my thoughts and i enjoy the feedback and wisdom here.

But to answer your points:

1. A dating coach blog has not swayed  me towards Latin women…My Mexican college GF I had 20 years ago did. I posted his blog because he shared my thoughts perhaps in a more eloquent way and I thought it was a good read.

2. it wasn't posts on here that showed me how poorer people or specifically Colombian people are happy with what they have and less materialistic; it was my numerous trips to Cuba, Mexico, SA and Europe that did that…

3. Lastly Craig here on PL has chosen to take a break and work on his house…I'm not taking a break? I'm not working on my house? I'm just starting to wonder if I want to assume more responsibility with a wife or date more casually. I sure I'm not the first or last person to change his perspective like this.

Again, I'm not giving up here, on the contrary; I am just opening my mind to other options..

I'd just hate to see you give up like craig.  From reading your story it seems like you've gone too far to turn back now.  You're on the edge of glory.  Take KB for example.  It took a couple of tries until he got it right but he never gave up and look at him now.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
Awesome

I don't think DrGuy has given up.  He is similar to what I am doing now.  I haven't given up on searching for a suitable lady whether she is colombiana or Ukrainian, but I am not going to try to "focus" on my search at the moment.

There are many things I would like to achieve before making another serious search on finding a suitable woman.  I would like to travel more especially to Cuba, the rest of Italy.  I might not have the chance to do it when I have the lady due to visa restrictions, or she doesn't like what I like in term of travelling.  She might not be interested in seeing the ruins of Pompeii, for example.  I might want to take a year off, studying Photography course in Vancouver, Canada.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »
Yeah..live like a lower strata Colombian..beans and rice, take the bus..share the rent with your mama , abuela and 3 hermanos in an estrata 2 or 3 area.. forget about driving, restaurants,clubs,  going to the gym, travelling of any sort, health insurance (wort having anyway).
I think they call that "Poverty"
I prefer not to suffer. I wouldnt call it living like a king

You can live less than $1,000 if you want to be Colombians.   I guess you all want to live like Kings  LOL

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
If you guys actually thin you can live on $1000 a month n Colombia and have a lifestyle like in North America, go aghead and try it.
Ive spent time in an estrata 2 [snip] hole and eaten some of the crap they serve here and seen how bad it can go if you dont have good medicare.
its okay to come here on your passpor for a few weeks with good medical insurance, but try it long term ( over 6 months) and see how quickly it gets old.
Yeah..live like a lower strata Colombian..beans and rice, take the bus..share the rent with your mama , abuela and 3 hermanos in an estrata 2 or 3 area.. forget about driving, restaurants,clubs,  going to the gym, travelling of any sort, health insurance (wort having anyway).

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 09:25:52 AM »
Only way you can live on a $1000 a month in Vancouver is in the salvation army homeless shelter.. :D
Awesome

I don't think DrGuy has given up.  He is similar to what I am doing now.  I haven't given up on searching for a suitable lady whether she is colombiana or Ukrainian, but I am not going to try to "focus" on my search at the moment.

There are many things I would like to achieve before making another serious search on finding a suitable woman.  I would like to travel more especially to Cuba, the rest of Italy.  I might not have the chance to do it when I have the lady due to visa restrictions, or she doesn't like what I like in term of travelling.  She might not be interested in seeing the ruins of Pompeii, for example.  I might want to take a year off, studying Photography course in Vancouver, Canada.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
Awesome

Very few of us ever give up. I think some of us are reading too much that's not really there into this. The guy's going to regroup, (smart) do some traveling, etc. That alone increases his chances, unless he's oblivious (which I doubt) that he's going to meet someone who's really special eventually.

Love's kind of like lightning and totally aside from web sites and agencies, chances you're going to get hit by it eventually. And if you're out and about, the chances increase measurably. And no, your dick's not a lightning rod!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »

Yes, but, however they can.   As for my ex-girlfriend, Astrid.  The house was already paid in full, and therefore no rent which leaves food and ulitility bills.

If they want to experience a real Colombian culture, say for a year, they ought to live like one!!!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »
Only way you can live on a $1000 a month in Vancouver is in the salvation army homeless shelter.. :D

very funny, actually  I can live LESS THAN $1000 a month in Vancouver in a REAL beautiful home including 3 meals, but as "private room" with a family, called 'Homestay' - yes very near to Downtown !!!

I have done my research already

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »
Very few of us ever give up. I think some of us are reading too much that's not really there into this. The guy's going to regroup, (smart) do some traveling, etc. That alone increases his chances, unless he's oblivious (which I doubt) that he's going to meet someone who's really special eventually.

Love's kind of like lightning and totally aside from web sites and agencies, chances you're going to get hit by it eventually. And if you're out and about, the chances increase measurably. And no, your dick's not a lightning rod!

+1

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
You cant deduct rent because you buy a house.. We are talking about costs for expats that go doown there and start from scratch, not someone who has the house given to them by Family. I know lots of chicas like that too.

No thanks.. Ill skip the Barrio scene. Ive lived in estrato 2  rat holes for 2 or 3 months, that was enough.. I prefer my furnished estrato 5 or 6  apartment with a vew

Yes, but, however they can.   As for my ex-girlfriend, Astrid.  The house was already paid in full, and therefore no rent which leaves food and ulitility bills.

If they want to experience a real Colombian culture, say for a year, they ought to live like one!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:57:00 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 11:00:42 AM »
I gave up the Room Mate and room and board  stuff when I turned 23 years old. Prefer my privacy Everybodies different.
Sure you can survive on hardly nothing, but quality of ife goes down..things like Entertainment, Fitness, leassure,health care, privacy, travelling..things I put a high value on

very funny, actually  I can live LESS THAN $1000 a month in Vancouver in a REAL beautiful home including 3 meals, but as "private room" with a family, called 'Homestay' - yes very near to Downtown !!!

I have done my research already

Offline Awesome

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »
$1000 a month in colombia isn't poverty.  You can get a strato 3 apartment for 400k a month and eat good on $10 a day.  If you have roomates to split the rent and groceries with it gets even cheaper.  If you don't like taking the bus you can buy a low end used  moto for $500.  Take your novia to the movies on wednesday when it's like 8k.  Who needs clubs when there are plenty of street parties?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
I gave up the Room Mate and room and board  stuff when I turned 23 years old. Prefer my privacy Everybodies different.
Sure you can survive on hardly nothing, but quality of ife goes down..things like Entertainment, Fitness, leassure,health care, privacy, travelling..things I put a high value on

I also prefer my own privacy... but I simply said that they CAN live less than $1,000 a month.  But at least you had the experience living like Colombians in the past

Offline Gavan

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 07:43:24 AM »
On a serious note..$3000 wouldnt cut it for me either..maybe in Ecuador..but not here,,a half decent furnihsed estrato 5 apartment costs about $900-$1000 a month..and real high inflation..

But then I do a lot of travelling and "extreme "sports too too. I budget around 10 million pesos- $5700 US a month inside Colombia (not including travelling outside).

I am not a monger, by any stretch, but I know guys who spend almost $3000 a month on hookers.

Wow Expat $5700 a month?  :o  I guess it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you are content with. I lived on 1000 euros (about $1300) a month in Trujillo, Peru and that was for two people (my novia and I). I lived in a decent three bedroom apartment in a middle class area (by Peruvian standards). Don't know what "estrato" that would be in Colombia (they don't use that system in Peru). I had internet, directv with dvr, ate out about twice a week, went to the movies and or disco about once a week and even had a maid. I didn't drive, but I wouldn't want to anyway in South America (traffic is insane) and there is no need to with extremely cheap taxis everywhere.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:42:09 AM by Gavan »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
You cant compare my lifestyle to everyone Else's.. I have worked hard all my life and don't mind spending money on me. -I deserve it. go on exotic mountaineering and adventure trips (i.e La Guajira, Cano cristales, El Cocky,) the back country of Parque  Nevados which is only accessible by expensive 4X4 or pack horses. I go to the best gym (which is not as good as the gyms in Canada, but more expensive), eat the best, healthiest foods possible, and have the best health care there is. I also go to clubs and restaurants on ocaision-and I like the good restaurants.  I also take private dance lessons.And when I travel, I don't stay in hostels, unless it is a secure private room, so I usually pay $50 a night,minimum, and I travel a lot. I don't drive either. Like I said, I also have to pay a lot for a visa every year.

Still estrato 5 or above, one bedroom furnished, in Medellin, Armenia, Manizales would cost you 1.5 million minimum for a 1 bedroom or about $800 Usd a month.I have a maid too-costs $12 a week (20,000 COP).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVj1LlDoYU

Above is an example of 1 bedroom furnished Apartment in Envigado. Remember that owner pays an administration fee of about $100 a month and Taxes of as much as $800 or a $1000 a year, which he passes on to you, Looking at it, I imagine they would want closer to 1.8 million to 2 million ($1000 to $1200) to rent it. I have looked at a lot of these in various cities, so I am pretty sure of the prices. And they arent Gringo Prices either, because I had my Colombian friends go out and look as if they were renting for themselves. 

I have spent a lot of time in Peru (Pisco, Ica, Cuzco, Puno, Paracas, Machu Pichu, Lago Titi Caca, Arequipa), and never been to Trujillo or Chimbote but have heard they are pretty skanky places, so no wonder they are cheap. Still I wonder when the last time you were there, because inflation in the growing economies of Latin America is rampant. I don't like Lima either. The only city I liked (not including tourist places like Cuzco) is  Arequipa.

Wow Expat $5700 a month?  :o  I guess it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you are content with. I lived on 1000 euros (about $1300) a month in Trujillo, Peru and that was for two people (my novia and I). I lived in a decent three bedroom apartment in a middle class area (by Peruvian standards). Don't know what "estrato" that would be in Colombia (they don't use that system in Peru). I had internet, directv with dvr, ate out about twice a week, went to the movies and or disco about once a week and even had a maid. I didn't drive, but I wouldn't want to anyway in South America (traffic is insane) and there is no need to with extremely cheap taxis everywhere.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:25:40 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
I have spent a lot of time in Peru (Pisco, Ica, Cuzco, Puno, Paracas, Machu Pichu, Lago Titi Caca, Arequipa), and never been to Trujillo or Chimbote but have heard they are pretty skanky places, so no wonder they are cheap. Still I wonder when the last time you were there, because inflation in the growing economies of Latin America is rampant. I don't like Lima either. The only city I liked (not including tourist places like Cuzco) is  Arequipa.

I agree Chimbote/Nuevo Chimbote is pretty "skanky" (still had fun there though) though Trujillo is ok, still third world and not as nice as the best parts of Lima but I was ok with living there. Trujillo is similar to Arequipa.You have modern malls, excellent movie theaters (better than Belgium), amazing and cheap restaurants, nice nightlife etc. Biggest problem is crime.  I left Peru in 2012. I agree that it is getting more expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n23rfhMhh24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIMHj_xxa48
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:20:23 AM by Gavan »

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
That's good. You should never just take the first option because it's the only one you have. Cultivate new options, it takes time but far better

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 01:47:28 AM »
Maybe it's because I plan to "live like a local" but from what I understand, for less than 1000 per month you can live quite comfortably in Mexico, or make ends meet in the less populated areas of Brazil. Hence being able to support yourself with an English teacher's income.

Well, it depends on how you think locals live...
and what kind of locals you would like to live like.

I am not sure I would be comfortable living with that budget in my city at least, perhaps somewhere else is possible. Of course I would be ok with it if we are going through a rough patch and I would do my best to keep bills down, but permanently? no, I wouldn't call that comfortable. Then again it's 3 of us (5 if you count the kitties) and only one of you.

Anyways, I agree that drguy plans are good and there is people here looking too much into it.

Offline TheGreatAdventurer

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »

Well, it depends on how you think locals live...
and what kind of locals you would like to live like.

I am not sure I would be comfortable living with that budget in my city at least, perhaps somewhere else is possible. Of course I would be ok with it if we are going through a rough patch and I would do my best to keep bills down, but permanently? no, I wouldn't call that comfortable. Then again it's 3 of us (5 if you count the kitties) and only one of you.

Anyways, I agree that drguy plans are good and there is people here looking too much into it.

Yeah my info is based on 1 person.  To raise a family is a whole different ballgame.   8)

Heck if I wanted to rent a private room in a decent area and not have my own place it seems I could get away with 500 or so bucks per month, assuming utilities are included and figuring 200 bucks per month for food and 300 for the rent.  Obviously not including leisure activities and gym etc... but this is in Zapopan/Guadalajara.  Not sure how long I'd want to go without my own place though. 

Thanks for your input on this, what city do you guys live in and if you don't mind me asking, what are your monthly base living expenses (not including leisure, eating out, etc)?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:11:38 AM by TheGreatAdventurer »

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2014, 03:56:25 AM »

Thanks for your input on this, what city do you guys live in and if you don't mind me asking, what are your monthly base living expenses (not including leisure, eating out, etc)?
We live in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.
I will give you some info for reference which will probably be even more useful than trying to guess by our general expenses because we are weird! def not the prices or expenses everyone would get.

1- electricity bill is every 2 months, we pay almost 100usd downtown while my parents in a very nice neighborhood pay 30usd, neither of us have AC. My parents house is about triple the size of the place we rent.
2- water bill is monthly, it's usually less than 20usd.
3- price of gas here and the US is about the same.
4- internet 10/1 monthly bill of 36usd
5- 200usd for food per month for one person sounds about right, unless you are vegetarian, then it might be like half.

And then you have rent.
* 2k for a really nice furnished place in nice or even great area depending on size and luck... or connections, usually picky landlords.
* 1k this price is very common and it varies a lot, from a cute little house in great shape in a nice neighborhood unfurnished to a fancier apartment completely furnished.
* 500usd for a nicely furnished mini-studio (a bedroom with a restroom and a kitchenette) in a decent area or unfurnished apartment in not such great shape in an ok area.
* 250usd for unfurnished mini-studio in a not so comfortable yet safe place, your neighbors will most likely be college students.
* 175usd your neighbors are poor, don't ever show flashy stuff and you might be ok.
* 100usd odds are this is not safe no matter what you do.
* 50usd I am guessing shared outdoor restrooms with a bunch of junkies.

Hope that helps!

PS. I have been to Guadalajara but only to visit family or due work so can't say about the prices there, but my cousin moved there for a while, she is a widow with 4 children and rented a really nice house in "Paseos del Sol" for 2k.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2014, 05:29:54 PM »
If your living in Luxury on $1500 a month in the Mid west US , I wouldn t be going to Latin America thinking its going to be cheaper.[

quote author=TheGreatAdventurer link=topic=7914.msg119069#msg119069 date=1410272462]
These costs are very confusing to me... in the USA My expenses average around 1500 per month renting a small house, eating good (I like to do my own cooking and don't eat out much), and having a basic car (no car payment or debt), and that's living quite comfortably in one of the most expensive counties in the Midwest.  How anyone can have trouble living on twice that in Latin America just does not compute, unless you're trying to live an upper-class lifestyle in Rio or something.

Maybe it's because I plan to "live like a local" but from what I understand, for less than 1000 per month you can live quite comfortably in Mexico, or make ends meet in the less populated areas of Brazil.  Hence being able to support yourself with an English teacher's income.

???
I think this is an over exaggeration. 700usd living frugally @ 1k you're doing pretty good but I suppose it depends where you decide to stay. In Ec, 1.1k + I'm living pretty lavishly

Offline Gavan

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
I think this is an over exaggeration. 700usd living frugally @ 1k you're doing pretty good but I suppose it depends where you decide to stay. In Ec, 1.1k + I'm living pretty lavishly

Yeah it will depend on the location (the country and even the the city) AND on the kind of lifestyle you want. You CAN live cheaply in Latin America and you can live on $1000 or even less in some countries and have an ok lifestyle but not everyone will be happy living like that.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »

I have noticed that. My limited experience in Cali, Colombia tells me you might need 1.5k min to get by,[size=78%] But Gye, Ecuador 1k you're fine. 850~900 in Quito. I'm a [/size][/size]minimalist[/color][/b][/color][/size] [/color][/size][size=78%]though[/size]

Yeah it will depend on the location (the country and even the the city) AND on the kind of lifestyle you want. You CAN live cheaply in Latin America and you can live on $1000 or even less in some countries and have an ok lifestyle but not everyone will be happy living like that.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2014, 05:55:08 PM »
I have noticed that. My limited experience in Cali, Colombia tells me you might need 1.5k min to get by, But Gye, Ecuador 1k you're fine. 850~900 in Quito. I'm a minimalist though.

Yeah, I could easily live on $750-1000 in Peru as well (as a single person), especially in las provincias, Lima is a little more expensive. The downside of Peru is that it is getting more expensive fast.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:58:20 PM by Gavan »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864