It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Almost time to head abroad!  (Read 2927 times)

Offline TheGreatAdventurer

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Almost time to head abroad!
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:51:19 AM »
Hi all,

Haven't been on here much lately, but long story short I'm almost done with my preparations and at the end of the month I'm going to be taking my leave of the USA and heading south of the border!

I'm going to start by spending a few weeks in Mexico traveling around and seeing as much of the country as I can.  I figure this will be a good way to "warm up" to backpacking and living abroad as I've already been to Mexico a few times so it won't be entirely unfamiliar to me.  This time, however, I will be left to my own resources as I won't have my ex with me translating and handling daily business.  It's both intimidating and exciting to think about, but I'm comfortable enough with my Spanish to throw myself into the fire and get this adventure started.

After spending some time in Mexico I'm going to be heading to Brazil.  I'm guessing around mid-November as I believe the F1 championships will be over by then?  So hopefully costs will be lower afterwards.  For me it all begins in Rio  8) but after spending some time there I'm going to travel around the country and check out different cities, and see how I like Brazil compared to Mexico.  Then I'll be able to decide which country I'd like to throw down roots in and start teaching English (or any other opportunities I happen to stumble across) and start building a new life.

I'm hoping that my time spent in Mexico immersed in Spanish will make it easier to immerse myself into Portuguese in Brazil.  It's not quite at the level my Spanish is at but I'm pretty confident that once I'm in the environment, I'll pick it up quickly.  Will also likely take a class as well (and maybe get a Student visa out of it so I can legally stay a lot longer in the country!)

Just want to say that I appreciate the input y'all have given me here.  I'd love the chance to meet up with you guys if/when I'm in your neighborhood.  I have enough saved up to stay abroad for a couple years unemployed, so I will be in no hurry and will be happy to visit whatever cities you happen to live in, if you're interested in hanging out.

I'm not even really in a hurry to start meeting girls and dating... I'd honestly like to just explore and condition myself to living in Latin America, and more important in the beginning will be making new friends and building a supportive social circle, getting involved in community, etc.  The women will still be there when I'm established and ready.  ;)

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?  Let me know!  In 4 short weeks I'll be a blank canvas with nothing but time on his hands to wander and "walk the Earth".

This will truly be a life-changing experience.

Thanks guys.

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Almost time to head abroad!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:59:44 AM »
Immersion is pretty key. I was the same on my first trip but survival depends on it. Since you'll have to order food and ask for basic necessitates in spanish. I started getting a clue in about 6 days but after about 2 weeks I could ask for the basics and hold a basic conversation at least, nothing thrilling but it was a start.
I don't think conditioning part will be hard as long as you really enjoy what you're doing and where you're at and don't try to force it. The real test will be can you deal with the culture, you're ability to make new relationships and doing thing that aren't your own. Once and if you can get past that, you 'll know you're ready

Offline Gavan

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
I'm not even really in a hurry to start meeting girls and dating... I'd honestly like to just explore and condition myself to living in Latin America, and more important in the beginning will be making new friends and building a supportive social circle, getting involved in community, etc.  The women will still be there when I'm established and ready.  ;)

Sounds like an excellent plan. This is the best way to meet women IMHO, much better than agencies or dating sites.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »
Yeah..espescially German and Scandanavian backpackers..
Sounds like an excellent plan. This is the best way to meet women IMHO, much better than agencies or dating sites.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:54:02 AM »
After spending some time in Mexico I'm going to be heading to Brazil.  I'm guessing around mid-November as I believe the F1 championships will be over by then?  So hopefully costs will be lower afterwards.  For me it all begins in Rio  8) but after spending some time there I'm going to travel around the country and check out different cities, and see how I like Brazil compared to Mexico.  Then I'll be able to decide which country I'd like to throw down roots in and start teaching English (or any other opportunities I happen to stumble across) and start building a new life.

GA,

Just sent you my contact info via PM. Hit me up when you get to Brazil. I should be in Rio around that time but if not I'll be in Recife, BH, or Vitoria working on some projects we're finishing up before the end of the year. If you're going to be moving around seeing different cities I'm sure we can cross pathes somewhere along the way. I have a good friend in Rio that owns a hostel so if you need somewhere to stay that's relatively cheap I can help you out there. Don't worry too much about prices in November. They won't go back up until it gets closer to New Years. Would be really nice if you could stick around for the party on Copacabana on New Year's Eve...IT'S FREAKING EPIC!!!!!

I have some connections in Rio at a couple of the British schools. I was even offered a job at one but I didn't have time. Not sure if the position is still available (I seriously doubt it), but you must be CELTA Certified and have a Bachelor's Degree. They will help you with the visa if everything works out. Let me know if you're interested or if you need help with anything. Best of luck to you.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!  Yep for sure having the drive and desire to make it happen will help with immersion and fitting in.

Benjio - Sounds awesome man.  I'm sure I could swing either staying in or coming back to Rio for an event like that!  I'd love to see carnival next year too but guess that depends on how long I want to stay in Brazil... lol.  Yeah if I decide I'd like to throw down roots there and teach (or whatever else) any contacts would be appreciated!  I only have an Associate's degree though...  but I do plan on getting the CELTA either way before I start teaching.  I figured if I want to stay in Brazil I'll do it in Brazil, and if I'd rather go with Mexico I'll do it in Mexico, that way during training I'd be basically teaching the same people that I would be after completing the cert.

Offline benjio

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!  Yep for sure having the drive and desire to make it happen will help with immersion and fitting in.

Benjio - Sounds awesome man.  I'm sure I could swing either staying in or coming back to Rio for an event like that!  I'd love to see carnival next year too but guess that depends on how long I want to stay in Brazil... lol.  Yeah if I decide I'd like to throw down roots there and teach (or whatever else) any contacts would be appreciated!  I only have an Associate's degree though...  but I do plan on getting the CELTA either way before I start teaching.  I figured if I want to stay in Brazil I'll do it in Brazil, and if I'd rather go with Mexico I'll do it in Mexico, that way during training I'd be basically teaching the same people that I would be after completing the cert.

Yep...best way to get a CELTA is in the country where you plan on teaching. It allows you to make contacts in the ESL Community of that country you wouldn't have had any other way. And that's the most important thing about landing a decent English Teaching Job in Latin America....contacts. Had I taken the CELTA Course in Bogota like I originally planned as supposed to in Houston at Lone Star College, I probably would have landed a better entry level gig than tutoring English at Colombo in Pereira. That was after I tried to land a gig at La Universidad Del Norte in Barranquilla (best English teaching gig in Colombia, $4.500.000 COP per month plus bonus to start, year long contracts, Medical and Dental, one paid trip back to your home country during the year, plenty of holidays and all those Costena hotties walking around ;D ). I had an awesome connection there and they STILL told me I needed teaching experience IN Colombia. I'm sure you'll be able to find something here in Brazil if you decide to stick around. English Classes and tutors are a booming industry here now.

Another word of advice...when you take that class, take it seriously. It's not a cakewalk. 29% of students fail the class their first time and you don't get any kind of discount if you decide to take it again.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:38:57 AM by benjio »

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »

Yep...best way to get a CELTA is in the country where you plan on teaching. It allows you to make contacts in the ESL Community of that country you wouldn't have had any other way. And that's the most important thing about landing a decent English Teaching Job in Latin America....contacts. Had I taken the CELTA Course in Bogota like I originally planned as supposed to in Houston at Lone Star College, I probably would have landed a better entry level gig than tutoring English at Colombo in Pereira. That was after I tried to land a gig at La Universidad Del Norte in Barranquilla (best English teaching gig in Colombia, $4.500.000 COP per month plus bonus to start, year long contracts, Medical and Dental, one paid trip back to your home country during the year, plenty of holidays and all those Costena hotties walking around ;D ). I had an awesome connection there and they STILL told me I needed teaching experience IN Colombia. I'm sure you'll be able to find something here in Brazil if you decide to stick around. English Classes and tutors are a booming industry here now.

Another word of advice...when you take that class, take it seriously. It's not a cakewalk. 29% of students fail the class their first time and you don't get any kind of discount if you decide to take it again.

For sure!  Sounds like that would have been a pretty sweet gig haha.  8)   I'm glad to hear that English is booming in Brazil.  As long as I can make enough to at least break even with my first gig, I can work my way up, get some things going on the side, and try to make some decent money!

Yeah I've read that the Intensive CELTA training is, well, rather intense.  ;D   I used to be an airline pilot among other things, and that initial training is some of the most intensive "drink straight from the fire hose" training you can experience.  Hours in class, hours after class studying with your classmates, and all the extras.  Went through it twice actually for two different airlines.  Ironically I used to fly the Embraer "Jungle Jets" (EMB-145 and EMB-170/175) so how's that for Brazil coming full circle for me!!  But anyway it was a ton of work and I got through no problem.  Hopefully, that will have prepared me for passing the CELTA training with no issues.

Offline benjio

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »
For sure!  Sounds like that would have been a pretty sweet gig haha.  8)   I'm glad to hear that English is booming in Brazil.  As long as I can make enough to at least break even with my first gig, I can work my way up, get some things going on the side, and try to make some decent money!

Yeah I've read that the Intensive CELTA training is, well, rather intense.  ;D   I used to be an airline pilot among other things, and that initial training is some of the most intensive "drink straight from the fire hose" training you can experience.  Hours in class, hours after class studying with your classmates, and all the extras.  Went through it twice actually for two different airlines.  Ironically I used to fly the Embraer "Jungle Jets" (EMB-145 and EMB-170/175) so how's that for Brazil coming full circle for me!!  But anyway it was a ton of work and I got through no problem.  Hopefully, that will have prepared me for passing the CELTA training with no issues.

Sounds like you're ready man. Stick to your guns and don't be afraid to take big chances. I was just like you at one point...like, "SCREW THIS! I'm going to live in Colombia by any means necessary!!!!"...and that's exactly what I did. After blowing through my life savings, staying everywhere from luxury furnished apartments to barrio shacks, dating dozens of women and getting turned down by 10 times more, disco after disco, pueblo after pueblo, tinto after tinto, I don't have a single regret about that decision.

Holler at me when you get to paradise. I'll have a caiparinha waiting on you.  8)

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »

I'm guessing around mid-November as I believe the F1 championships will be over by then? 

Yes, it will already be over when your there!   Brazilian GP in Sao Paulo will be 7-9 November

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »
Gracias amigos!

Quick question - I'm trying to make sure I do my banking as smartly and safely as possible once I head abroad.  I decided to get a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card to use (comes with security chip) as it has no foreign transaction fees, and will act as a good firewall between my cash and potential hackers/criminals/thieves.  I was going to bring some cash but use the card for the majority of my expenses abroad, and then pay it off each month from my bank account.

I was thinking that due to the security risks with using WiFi, maybe it would be best  to call my bank directly over the phone and have them do the actual paying off/moving of money between accounts.  Then I can avoid online banking altogether, and hopefully any ATM visits/use of debit card will be extremely few and far between.  (Maybe months at a time)

I also have 2 other credit cards for emergencies.

Thoughts?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »
I know a guy who was 'taken for a ride' and made to empty his bank account and that was here in the USA. I wonder what I'd do if living abroad to protect being financially wiped out in a kidnap--hostage like situation? I'd like to be able to withdraw substantial amounts for living expenses. First thoughts were multiple,  password protected accounts, maybe protected by converting numbers into staggered alphabet code,  but cripes,  I forget passwords already between work and online. I've traveled for long periods and stashed large amounts of cash,  passport etc.,  in hotel safe deposit boxes, but that's not the end all answer I'm looking for. Thoughts?
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »
I have my checking and savings set up so that you cannot access savings at all with a debit card, and also no overdraft ability whatsoever that could pull from savings if someone tried to cash a check or withdraw more than the balance in checking.  I won't keep but a few bucks in checking at any given time, unless I'm immediately going to transfer some from savings and then withdraw from an ATM right away.  That way if someone "takes me for a ride" they will only be able to get a few bucks for their trouble.

I'm also going to carry a fake wallet with a few bucks of local currency and some expired credit cards.  Trying to think of every little trick I can to protect myself.  Not that I plan to go looking for trouble...

I figure using a secure credit card whenever possible and then paying off the balance each month will be the best way to go.  Chase's fraud protection is pretty solid and they've saved me some grief in the past.  Plus the signup bonus you get with the CSP card is awesome and will add a nice little bonus to my nestegg!  8)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »
You're on the right track tga.  Atm's are the way to go but my account only lets me withdraw 300 usd, so you might want a card with a higher limit.  I think some accounts allow up to 700usd which would be nice.  And taking several cards from from different accounts is a GREAT idea, in case you lose one you have a backup.  Both times I got robbed in colombia the robbers were nice enough not to take my wallet which had my id and bank card in it.  Since I only had one card and no backup back at my hotel in a safe place I would've been sh*t out of luck.

Of course in my case a 300usd limit was probably a good thing since I was blowing money about as fast as I could get it out of the machine.

What country are you going to?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
I have my checking and savings set up so that you cannot access savings at all with a debit card, and also no overdraft ability whatsoever that could pull from savings if someone tried to cash a check or withdraw more than the balance in checking.  I won't keep but a few bucks in checking at any given time, unless I'm immediately going to transfer some from savings and then withdraw from an ATM right away.  That way if someone "takes me for a ride" they will only be able to get a few bucks for their trouble.

I'm also going to carry a fake wallet with a few bucks of local currency and some expired credit cards.  Trying to think of every little trick I can to protect myself.  Not that I plan to go looking for trouble...

I figure using a secure credit card whenever possible and then paying off the balance each month will be the best way to go.  Chase's fraud protection is pretty solid and they've saved me some grief in the past.  Plus the signup bonus you get with the CSP card is awesome and will add a nice little bonus to my nestegg!  8)

Yea--Those are good practices and I'm pretty well protected in those areas and have used the fake wallet with a few bucks in it, CC's that aren't good, tried and true safe deposit drops and other tricks/practices.

For banking or savings access on my cards, if I lost them or even if someone got the codes, as long as I reported them to my bank within a reasonable time, they wouldn't hold me responsible for a penny. Doesn't hurt to tell your bank/s credit card companies if you're heading way out of state, never mind abroad. If I even get an odd charge for $10-$15, they've actually called me--last time it happened, we were sitting in LAX after coming back from Asia, ready to head back to the east coast and Wells Fargo called me about some company I'd bought a cell phone charger from that spun off my CC # and was shipping and billing me for DVDS on "How to Teach Reading"--didn't fit my profile, LOL. Nipped it right in the bud.

I guess my worse nightmare is someone holding me captive abroad and taking me out every day or so and at threat to someone else or my own peril, forcing me to withdraw. I don't care what everyone's saying about me---I'm not paranoid ::), but kidnapping and some other scenarios do occasionally cross my mind. Oh--and I don't trust banks in a lot of foreign countries.

I do forget passwords, but I can eventually recover them with info that's more 'hard wired' into my mind and I use a few different banks and have other assets --precious coins, stones, gold, silver, firearms and such that can be kept safe in the USA and liquidated for cash quickly. I'm not rich, but I'm diversified in keeping what I do have and it doesn't hurt to find out ways to be able to keep and still have safe access to assets while abroad.

I'm sure there's a number of things I've yet to learn before deciding to live in one general area w/o truly secure banks abroad for say, 6 to 9 months at a time. Our home overseas is in what's generally seen as safe, rather low key neighborhood and we blend in pretty well--not acting or showing 'conspicuous consumption', but it's always wise to think about  balancing  risk reduction, w/o making yourself a virtual prisoner. My wife periodically reminds me that "It's the nail that stands out that gets hammered".

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 08:37:41 AM »
Awesome - Thanks!  I'm going to be starting off in Mexico and then a few weeks later I'm going to fly to Brazil and stay for a few months.  From there I'll either settle in somewhere, get certified and start teaching English (or making money some other way) or maybe do some more exploring and head to Southeast Asia or something.  Would like to see Africa (specifically the Serengeti) but not sure if I should do that alone.

Robert - Sounds like you're covering all your bases.  I'm trying to do everything I can to protect myself in advance as a green, inexperienced Adventurer but only by getting out into the world will I be able to see what really goes down.  I can only hope that I don't have to learn too many hard lessons as I become accustomed to life abroad.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
So guys... what do you think is the best place to find cheap yet decent accommodations out of these 2?

HostelWorld

or

AirBNB

?

I MUST have the hostel experience as I've never stayed in one, but I'd like most of my time to be spent in a private room with a cool host and not tons of people coming and going at all hours.  8)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »
So guys... what do you think is the best place to find cheap yet decent accommodations out of these 2?

HostelWorld

or

AirBNB

?

I MUST have the hostel experience as I've never stayed in one, but I'd like most of my time to be spent in a private room with a cool host and not tons of people coming and going at all hours.  8)

I see the major cities in Colombia have links with Couchsurfing.org. Never tried it, but seeing how they don't have Motel 5's, down there, if I was going to consider the hostel route, I'd probably compare the two. www.couchsurfing.org/.../medellin-antioquia-colom
Weird, the link only works when you cut and paste it. Seems like the operation is big into people linking their facebook for entry also, which I don't particularly care for.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:48:13 PM by robert angel »

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
It's funny the whole "couchsurfing" thing kind of weirds me out for some reason, but I feel perfectly fine in a hostel.  Hostels are great for the social aspect.  You'll meet alot of hot aussie and european chicks.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »
Where in Mexico? We loved Mexico City and even though it is supposed to be dangerous we rode the subways everywhere. We hated going back to the airport to continue our journey because we loved Mexico City so much. Our last trip a group of guys were playing Mana songs on the subway car we were in and they could really rock it. What a city!

We stopped in Brazil on our way to Uruguay and vowed we would never go back there. Rudest people on the planet in Sao Paulo.

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 06:07:53 AM »
Yeah haven't really looked into Couchsurfing yet...  seems interesting though!

Utopiacowboy - Guadalajara will be my "base of operations" in Mexico as I've already been there and it's a nice city.  I plan to check out places all over the country though.

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 06:56:07 AM »

I hosted a couchsurfer and it wasn't bad, we're still friends. I see the biggest downfall to couchsurfing is you're on some one else's time and you can't come and go as you please as you would a hotel / hostel. I've always used HostelWorld, even got the app on my phone

Utopiacowboy - Guadalajara will be my "base of operations" in Mexico as I've already been there and it's a nice city.  I plan to check out places all over the country though.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »

Never been there but I want to go. Home town of the greatest Latin rockers, Mana!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats