It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Looking to Marry Her... Any tips? Hafa Adai 4rm Guam  (Read 2155 times)

Offline vargas

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Looking to Marry Her... Any tips? Hafa Adai 4rm Guam
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »
 :D  So Im in this relationship with this Filipina girl for 2 years.. We've known each other for maybe 5.. Honestly dont have a problem with our relationship and process on how to apply and ready myself for the process.. She works though at Qatar and I was wondering if we can process our papers while she is stiill working and just attend the US Embassy at Qatar or Philippine Consulate.. If things are needed to be done instead of having to go back to the Philippines during the whole process.. Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated! thank you!

Edited: IF you also know the price.. So i can budget things :) Thanks
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:28:26 AM by vargas, Reason: inlcuded info »

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Looking to Marry Her... Any tips? Hafa Adai 4rm Guam
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »

I believe she could do the visa process in Qatar, but I think it would be a lot easier if she went back to the PI and processed the visa there. I would contact the US embassy in Qatar, immigrant visa section, for more info.

But if you do decide to do it in the Philippines, make sure she gets the required police clearances while she is still in Qatar!

Is she on contract now? How long to go? Any consequences if she breaks her contract?

Have you already met her family?

Are you a US citizen?

Thinking of fiancée or spouse visa?

Ray

Offline vargas

• Probie
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:36:49 AM »
Is she on contract now? How long to go? Any consequences if she breaks her contract?

Have you already met her family?

Are you a US citizen?

Thinking of fiancée or spouse visa?

Ray

None if she breaks her contract her employer has her on a yearly basis.. And both reserve the right to exit or terminate the term.

Yes I'm a US Citizen...

Still trying to figure out which is the best route for both...

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:36:49 AM »

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »

Still trying to figure out which is the best route for both...

Here are some basic comparisons for the visa options:

K1 vs K3 vs CR1

K-1 vs K-3:

Similar processing times.

Similar immigration costs.

Similar red tape.

K-3 can travel overseas immediately after arriving in the States. K-1 will have to wait for maybe 6 months or more.

Similar wait for Green Card.

Shorter wait for honeymoon with K-3.

But when you apply for a K-3, you also apply for a CR-1, which has more advantages:

K3 vs CR1

To get a visa for your spouse, you need to submit Form I-130. After processing she will receive a CR-1 (or SR-1) immigrant visa.

The K-3 is optional but free to file. If you file for a K-3, you still file the I-130 first, then submit a Form I-129F for the K-3. After processing, she will receive a K-3 non-immigrant visa (unless the CR-1 gets processed first).

The big advantage of the K-3 was a shorter wait time before she could travel here, typically 6-9 months vs 9-12 months for the CR-1 immigrant visa. With recent changes in processing procedures, the time advantage is not always in play. Applying for a K-3 doesn’t necessarily stop the CR-1 processing. If the CR-1 is approved first, the K-3 is dead.

The visa processing overseas is almost identical for K-3 vs CR-1.

The CR-1 requires a little bit more paperwork up front but less paperwork overall.

With the CR-1, she arrives as a legal resident and her Green Card and SS card are mailed to her automatically. With the K-3, she has to (a) apply for adjustment of status after arrival or (b) wait for the I-130 processing and return home to get a CR-1 visa. Most all recipients of the K-3 choose to stay here and adjust status.

With the CR-1, since she has an interim Green Card on arrival at the airport, she can work right away as soon as she has her SS Number (2 weeks?). With a K-3, she must first apply for a work permit (60-90 days) or wait for her adjustment of status (6mos – 1 year?) before she can work.

Depending on your state of residence, it may also be faster to get a driver’s license with a CR-1.

With a CR-1, she can apply for naturalization a little before she has been here for 3 years. With the K-3, she will have to wait for her adjustment of status first, then count 3 years before applying.

If she has children coming with her, it gets a little more complicated but the advantages/disadvantages are basically the same.

If you have previously filed for numerous K-1 fiancée petitions, have a criminal background, or beat up your previous wife, you may want to go for the CR-1 so you can skip the IMBRA requirements.

Personally, all things considered, I would probably choose to skip the K-3 and wait a few more months for the CR-1 if it comes down to that.

Ray

Offline wiskyblandi1

• Probie
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:01:55 AM »
My girlfriend is Filipina.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871