Forum > Forum News and Announcements

Planet-Love Archives

(1/1)

Dan:
Hi Guys,

We just managed to get all 138,000 + posts moved from the old Planet-Love archives into a format which allows extensive searching of the archives. It also allows limited browsing.

I have not yet fully-integrated it into the site, but I thought you might like to see the archives and provide me your feedback. You can find them at this link -- http://www.goodwife.com/smf/index.php

You will probably notice that browsing the topics does not quite match the old archives (still available, and still NOT searchable). This is because the migration from a Threaded style board, like the old one - to a Flat style board, like this one - does not present the information in the same manner. However, the linking of posts are all there - and the change in Subjects is retained - as is the author and date of the post and more.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

- Dan

Ray:
Hi Dan,

I took a look at the new archive format and tried a few searches. The search seems to work O.K. with both a single key word, multiple keywords, and with phrases in quotes. However, the search function does not work at all levels within the archives.

1. If I search from the top (Home) level, the results include all hits in all forums as I would expect.

2. If I go to the forum level, Asian Forums Archives, Latin Forum Archives, etc., I never get any results from any search.

3. If I go to the next lower level (Child Boards), such as Threads Started in 2003, I get search results for posts in that level and below as expected.

Are you planning to keep the old P-L archive "tree" format without a search function? I think that would be great for browsing the archives.

Ray

Dan:

--- Quote from: Ray ---Hi Dan,

I took a look at the new archive format and tried a few searches. The search seems to work O.K. with both a single key word, multiple keywords, and with phrases in quotes. However, the search function does not work at all levels within the archives.

1. If I search from the top (Home) level, the results include all hits in all forums as I would expect.

2. If I go to the forum level, Asian Forums Archives, Latin Forum Archives, etc., I never get any results from any search.

3. If I go to the next lower level (Child Boards), such as Threads Started in 2003, I get search results for posts in that level and below as expected.

Are you planning to keep the old P-L archive "tree" format without a search function? I think that would be great for browsing the archives.

Ray

--- End quote ---

Ray,

Yes, it looks like the best arrangement is to keep the old posts in their original form - so the archives will remain intact for browsing.

Additionally, we have copied all the old archives into a different software which should facilitate searching.

It may not be the optimal - but it should be effective - which is the main thing.

- Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version