Forum > Asian -> Trip Reports

Luggage- Hard vs soft vs backpack

<< < (2/3) > >>

robert angel:
I think we're going with soft and semi hard cases more and more. Seems to hold up better for us and even be able to be mended rather than thrown away than are most 'shell type' cases. I guess some companies have lifetime warranties, but you have to look at how iron clad the warranties are and the upfront cost. That said, 3 or 4 round the world trips is about the most we get from most luggage.

I do agree that color can make a major difference. Some folks use reflective tape, a handkerchief tie and so on also.

SkyNorth:
I have been using one of the Patagonia Black Hole Duffles for over 25 years. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68WI2-9KhIY

they have back packs in the line as well.  I do prefer to travel with a pack when I can (larger than a day pack).

Jhengsman:

--- Quote from: Ray on June 21, 2015, 01:30:26 PM ---A nylon duffel works good for me.

Get one that meets the size standards for on-board use if you don't want to check it.

They also work great on pump-boats for those short island-hopping trips.

Ray

--- End quote ---
Nothing to add except +1, especially if you are going to other islands  you might not get a porter on a pump boat's gangway if lola is in front of you

robert angel:

--- Quote from: SkyNorth on June 22, 2015, 08:47:06 PM ---I have been using one of the Patagonia Black Hole Duffles for over 25 years. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68WI2-9KhIY

they have back packs in the line as well.  I do prefer to travel with a pack when I can (larger than a day pack).

--- End quote ---

Yea--for sure Patagonia makes mostly very good stuff. But then again, aside from their somewhat reasonably priced duffle bags, especially their Arbor Duffle for $99 that'll hold 60 liters, and that mentioned Black Hole duffle which also holds 60 L and is water proof @ $119, it's so expensive ( more than $300 for smaller rolling tote duffles) and so desired as a 'label' that I'd be tempted to cover the name, lest some one takes it just because it's 'Patagonia' and they know it's good.

Even if I could afford Louis Vuitton ($3550 for one of their entry level bags)  I don't think I'd want to wait for it to come out onto the airport luggage carousel and see it never show.

Patagonia's build quality and warranty's good, but then there's: "Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge."

Patagonia stopped making shoes (they made good ones, partnering with Wolverine) , but I have some of their clothing and when I'm really roughing it, they're comfortable--really hard to beat. But my wife hates it when I wear a Patagonia shirt, (yea--THAT's why I can hardly ever find them in the closet!) as they're typically kind of 'old school' styled--plaid, horizontally striped, even Hawaiian, which she thinks looks tacky-- she just doesn't like the look of most of them.

SkyNorth:
RA...I agree you can save $50-80 at Walmart and $10-20 if you went with Eagle Creek type gear.  But Why?

If your buying a cotton shirt sure value may win over Patagonia TNF Mountain HW Arcterex Osprey Mountain smith. 

But a real piece of gear why worry about $50 or even more? 

A pair of Levi's cost me $65 if lose a pair of jeans or nice shirt to a blown zipper I have lost money - if I lose my undies OOOO NO -- LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version