It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Just Starting Out  (Read 8597 times)

Offline stevekoozer

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Just Starting Out
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
 Greetings:

Excellent forum here even though it does not seem to be very busy as of late. I have picked up quite a bit of information and real experience for the posters on here while browsing back through the threads.
 I am looking to head down to BAQ this coming Jan 2015 and use Jamie's service. I have read quite a few posts about his service being worth spending the money on. When you calculate the costs of a trip on your own with airfare the cost of a decent hotel, food and so on it seems to average out about the same, well at least for me and the way I do things when I travel. You get to meet women that interest you that also have expressed interest in meeting you via your pictures and profile in your questionnaire. I speak ok Spanish, well enough to get buy on any vacation I have been on to Spanish speaking countries. I am continuing to improve my Spanish which can only help. It is nice though to have a translator to help out while in the initial stages of meeting someone and being able to be understood clearly while I work to become more fluent. 

A bit about me

Forty Five years old in good health and good physical shape I would say I have average looks. I don't have too many problems getting dates here but I prefer a more traditional women that does not want to compete with me to be the "man in the relationship" I don't have any overt or overly macho tendencies but I am a strong willed man. I am middle class and make a decent living as a tradesman. I make enough to pay the bills have a comfortable life and put a bit away for the future. I have friends that make twice the money I make and they are five times less happy with their lives than I am with mine. Its the simple things in life that I enjoy the most. I gave up chasing the Jones's years ago and have been for the most part content ever since. I am fortunate enough to have been able to travel quite a bit and have seen all of Canada the States, Mexico and almost all of western Europe over the last 20 years. 

I am now at the right stage in my life where it is time to settle down with the right woman and start a family. I know this will be somewhat of a challenge and will take some time just with the differences in culture let alone language barriers. I am optimistic that with time effort and patience and a lot of work that I will find the right woman for me and vice versa.

Any additional input from you folks here who  have done the same would be welcomed and appreciated   

Best Regards           

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Just Starting Out
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
Hi,
It sounds like you are on a good path. 

Good luck and keep brushing up on the spanish it can make a big difference.

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »
I'm sure you'll find some good travel advice on here, but it sounds like you've done your homework. If you've traveled around the world you've probably done your homework on BAQ and know just what you are in for. Even within the country of Colombia... you'll find all types of women depending on where you go. So as long as you have read up on BAQ I say good luck.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »

Offline pchip

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
Yes, another fellow Canadian!!!  Wish you luck, love your outlook of life.  Only recommendations from me are to think of this as an expansion of your dating pool, try to think with your BIG head, and finally if something is taboo here in Canada (where we're pretty laid back), then it probably is over there as well...

Good Luck!

Offline gyounger

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »
Greetings and good luck with your search.
Since your trip is still aways off, you have time to prepare.
I also wouldn't rule out meeting some women online.
CC and LAC are good sites.

Offline stevekoozer

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »
Yes, another fellow Canadian!!!  Wish you luck, love your outlook of life.  Only recommendations from me are to think of this as an expansion of your dating pool, try to think with your BIG head, and finally if something is taboo here in Canada (where we're pretty laid back), then it probably is over there as well...

Good Luck!

Big head has been in charge since I hit 40  8) yes a long range expansion of my pool which gives me another opportunity to expand my experience learning new culture, plus I have another warm refuge from -40 winter weather if only for a short period of time each new year.

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:03:24 AM »
Hi,
It sounds like you are on a good path. 

Good luck and keep brushing up on the spanish it can make a big difference.

Fathertime!

i didn't know how much spanish i knew till i went to go buy a car from a Porto Rico

he spoke some english & i could understand some of his spanish words

so in the end it was all good

now if i had to speak back in spanish

well i can say "cat , tiger, keys & adobo "

that would have to cover it

i guess i could say that i needed the keys to the tiger cat so i could make some adobo  ;D 8) ;D

i'm sure the chicks would all be in love with me then

or maybe they would all be falling onto the floor having a good laugh

good thing i choose the Philippines instead

piglett
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline stevekoozer

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »

i didn't know how much spanish i knew till i went to go buy a car from a Porto Rico

he spoke some english & i could understand some of his spanish words

so in the end it was all good

now if i had to speak back in spanish

well i can say "cat , tiger, keys & adobo "

that would have to cover it

i guess i could say that i needed the keys to the tiger cat so i could make some adobo  ;D 8) ;D

i'm sure the chicks would all be in love with me then

or maybe they would all be falling onto the floor having a good laugh

good thing i choose the Philippines instead

piglett

Thanks for the post do you have any LA experience? How about some wardrobe tips for BAQ in January ?

Offline gyounger

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »
Thanks for the post do you have any LA experience? How about some wardrobe tips for BAQ in January ?

Loose fitting cotton clothing.
You're gonna do some sweating no matter what time of the year in BQ.

Offline stevekoozer

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
Loose fitting cotton clothing.
You're gonna do some sweating no matter what time of the year in BQ.

Thanks a bunch  I figured I would be doing some dripping with the humidity and heat. I am more used to a cooler climate and summer here is pretty dry even though we get highs in the 90's for a good month to month an one half each year.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
Thanks a bunch  I figured I would be doing some dripping with the humidity and heat. I am more used to a cooler climate and summer here is pretty dry even though we get highs in the 90's for a good month to month an one half each year.

Choose Lacoste instead of Ralph Lauren polo shirts if you are thinking of bring brand named polo shirts

Offline stevekoozer

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »

Choose Lacoste instead of Ralph Lauren polo shirts if you are thinking of bring brand named polo shirts

I don't even own a polo shirt currently guess I am going to have to work on my dress style from my current look.

Thanks

Offline taoshorn

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 05:46:57 AM »

Why?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 05:46:57 AM »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »
Why?

Lacoste is more cooler than RL in that sort of weather
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:11:24 PM by Gato4Astrid »

Offline tedujam

• Probie
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
Are you under the impression that all Ralph Lauren and all Lacoste shirts are made from the same material?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »

Lacoste is more cooler than RL in that sort of weather
Lacoste is cooler in the weather as the weave of the cloth isn't like the thick combed cotton RL usually uses. BUT, the way Lacoste cuts most of their polos seems to favor guys on the short and heavy side. I like Lacostes fabric better but the way their polos fit seems weird.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline stevekoozer

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
Lacoste is cooler in the weather as the weave of the cloth isn't like the thick combed cotton RL usually uses. BUT, the way Lacoste cuts most of their polos seems to favor guys on the short and heavy side. I like Lacostes fabric better but the way their polos fit seems weird.

Thanks that's good info as I am on the short and heavy side. I usually have to go to big and tall men's shops for dress shirts as that is about the only place I can get my fit right with out having it down to my knees and six inches too long in the arms. I am only 5'9" but I wear a 52 jacket have to wear 38 pants, jeans cause I can't get my legs into 36 jeans which is my waist size and my 38's are relaxed fit just for that alone. Put on 20 pounds this past winter but I have knocked it all off in the past 3 months so I am back to a good 210-215 which for me is about right, going to try this year to get to 200. I am in good shape but I could loose a little more fat around the midsection used to be pretty easy till I hit 40 then the game changed. Don't like being smooth and the little love handles are hard to get rid of now days. Ah the joys of getting older LOL     

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 05:41:30 AM »
Of course you should try them on. If I were buying 5 or 6 at the $80 or so a piece they get,  I'd consider getting a charge account. I did that and it knocked off about a $100, as they typically will knock off some $ for you doing so. Then again, they sometimes will exempt items they consider 'luxury'  goods,  so check the small print. I think the most popular Ralph Lauren Polo shirts,  especially south of the border,  have the Polo motiff,  namely the  horse and rider much larger,  like an inch and a half in size.  Lacoste  sells polos with a much larger size alligator. Personally I prefer the original sizes as I sort of make my own style,  but the younger ladies may prefer the newer styles.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:02:16 AM by robert angel »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 06:31:49 AM »
Are you under the impression that all Ralph Lauren and all Lacoste shirts are made from the same material?

Yes and No.   There are many different kinds of cotton.    Lacoste polo shirts came from Peru. - different thinness, so on.   Even seen a rugby shirt (also cotton).  You can see that rugby shirts are very thick compare to Lacoste

I brought both Lacoste & Ralph Lauren during my 1st trip to Cali and can compare the difference.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 06:34:11 AM »

It depends on people.  I do not like Abercombe & Fitch because they are suitable for slim fit guys, and it looks weird on me lol

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 08:20:37 AM »
I am in fashion (clothing) so I will comment a little.

Well, I cannot comment on RL and Lacoste as I haven't used them in a while - I have too many other options.

The company that I work for (and a few others) have products/materials that are targeted to a specific area/climate. There are products that are targeted specifically to Asia, Europe, South America that we do not get in the US market and vice versa. You will get the same product w/same style, same design but the process and material used are different (example cotton) - Mercerized cotton, Egyptian cotton, Pima, French Terry, Bamboo, Sea Island, American Upland or blends.  All have a different feel/texture and are use for different market. Some company do it - some don't.

I am always in the NYC buying office and occasionally in the HQ in Europe and get to see/feel the samples (and sometimes get to buy a few). Our buyers (as well as  buyers for other region of the world) would buy what they feel are ideal for our market/climate.

The same would go for the fit/sizing - Regular, Classic, slim fit, extra slim fit, high-rise, mid-rise, low-rise, etc, etc, etc,.

Also, the sizing and fit will be different between the brands as well as within the brands (a 34 waist in regular, classic and slim in a same brand would all fit differently).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:41:22 AM by thekfc »
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 03:15:14 PM »

Yes and No.   There are many different kinds of cotton.    Lacoste polo shirts came from Peru. - different thinness, so on.   Even seen a rugby shirt (also cotton).  You can see that rugby shirts are very thick compare to Lacoste

I brought both Lacoste & Ralph Lauren during my 1st trip to Cali and can compare the difference.

Ralph Lauren and Lacoste are both huge multinational fashion houses with several lines of male clothing falling under their respective brand names. If we're talking about just shirts both companies purchase fabric and actually make their clothing in several different countries, with varying levels of quality depending on the line. Lacoste alone has factories in France, Italy, Peru, Morrocco and Romania, Thailand and China. Ralph Lauren is a much larger conglomerate that even has subsidiary brands that have been acquired or branched off from the original company. I'm also sort of a fashion nut myself.  ;D

Furthermore, if you're on a date with a girl and she's seriously worried about what brand shirt you're wearing....

[INSERT RAY'S DUMP TRUCK PICTURE HERE]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:23:27 PM by benjio »

Offline taoshorn

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

Ralph Lauren and Lacoste are both huge multinational fashion houses with several lines of male clothing falling under their respective brand names. If we're talking about just shirts both companies purchase fabric and actually make their clothing in several different countries, with varying levels of quality depending on the line. Lacoste alone has factories in France, Italy, Peru, Morrocco and Romania, Thailand and China. Ralph Lauren is a much larger conglomerate that even has subsidiary brands that have been acquired or branched off from the original company. I'm also sort of a fashion nut myself.  ;D

Thanks, that's kind of where I was heading with my comment. Lacoste and Ralp Lauren Polo shirts are available in hundreds of different styles made from dozens of different material blends, so saying one brand is universally "better" for a certain climate is just plain wrong.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »
Most of these companies do have a lot of tiers of quality and price. some of Ralph Lauren's stuff is pure, over priced garbage, while most of their black label is pure, over priced, nice quality stuff.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2877466&cp=2871712&ab=ln_men_cs2_poloshirts

Still, rather than pay $300 (for starters) for a R.L. Black Label men's dress shirt,

http://www.ralphlauren.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2877464&cp=2871712&ab=ln_men_cs2_dressshirts

I'd rather, for that kind of money, have a tailor custom make a shirt from Egyptian wool cotton (if you could find the real deal easily anymore) or sea island cotton. I have some old mercerized cotton clothing--heck, even some really old, vintage 'sanforized' cotton shirts and clothing they just don't make anymore, that I really like. For the price of an entire R.L Black Label complete wardrobe, I could probably fly to Hong Kong and get better stuff measured exactly to my body.

It's amazing how much money people will pay for crappy quality clothes--we were in a Saks Fifth Avenue store today, laughing at how crappy some of their ridiculously expensive clothing seemed.

Marc Jacobs stuff is even more hilarious to us--sort of like the Gap and LL Bean, but on mescaline & steroids. That guy must be laughing all the way to the bank!

http://www.marcjacobs.com/marc-jacobs/mens/ready-to-wear/s84am0191/woodie-nylon-hoodie?sort= 
http://www.marcjacobs.com/marc-jacobs/mens/shoes-and-accessories/s87wp0003/baja-braided-sandal?sort=price_desc

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
I just want to say this fashion thread is fascinating

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0