It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: gringo found dead, shot 3 times in medellin.  (Read 7838 times)

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
gringo found dead, shot 3 times in medellin.
« on: July 24, 2017, 07:45:58 AM »

A citizen of North American origin was found dead in a house located in the Naranjal neighborhood, in the western center of Medellín.

The body was in an advanced state of decomposition.According to official information, at 3:07 p.m. on Saturday, July 22, Dennis Ruckel, a 68-year-old American, was found dead with three gunshot wounds.The police were alerted that inside a building located at 44B with 68A runway there was a decomposing body;

When moving to the place was found Ruckel lying lifeless in the hall.According to witnesses, the victim had rented a furnished apartment on July 20, the same day he arrived. Not seeing him on Friday or Saturday morning, neighbors made the call to the authorities, when they found him lifeless.Currently mobiles and syndicates are research.https://www.minuto30.com/identificado-el-norteamericano-hallado-muerto-en-naranjal/443019/

just a guess, ( spit balling) i bet he met some girl on the internet, cell app or in a bar and he got set up.  not surprised in medellin.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:49:01 AM by mudd »

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
Re: gringo found dead, shot 3 times in medellin.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
I met a Medellin woman on the internet and fourteen years later I am still sleeping next to her. I guess I should be worried lol!

Offline Ricardo1

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
http://www.elcolombiano.com/antioquia/muerte-de-dennis-ruckel-estadounidense-que-vivia-en-medellin-CM6961224

Misteriosa muerte violenta de norteamericano en Medellín

Crime rates Colombia and U.S.A.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Colombia/United-States/Crime

Seems more likely to encounter violent crime in Colombia, property theft and burglary more likely in USA>  No doubt depends heavily on location.  In regards to Denis Ruckel, he likely was targeted or setup, seems the barrio was upscale?.  so what would have been the motive?

Whatever the case, that's a sad way to go out of this life....

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »
It's a city of 2.5 million people. In a city of that size in the USA, crap like that goes down everyday.  Of course, it doesn't make the mudd report news. In fact, murders like that happen in the USA a lot and don't even make the six PM TV news.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »
It's a city of 2.5 million people. In a city of that size in the USA, crap like that goes down everyday.  Of course, it doesn't make the mudd report news. In fact, murders like that happen in the USA a lot and don't even make the six PM TV news.

reminds me of a hit in buenos aires in medellin  year past,. 4 guys shot dead at a corner stop light, but a guy on a moto, i would guess drug/ narco gang related, didnt even make the news down here.

prob same if it happened in Chicago, prob wouldnt even make the news either.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »
Yea, for sure in Chicago and St. Louis. Chicago is the poster child for gun murders, but St. Louis had a rate over TWICE of Chicago's and Baltimore, as well as Detroit, were also far worse than Chicago. Chicago ranked 8th among major US cities. New Orleans is just about as bad, but on a per capita basis, some small cities in the south top even them, they just don't make the data lists typically. Places like Jackson, Mississippi and Savannah, Georgia are even worse.

Savannah, all 136,286 population of it, has up until recently hidden the fact that dozens of gangs, including representatives of the west coast crips and bloods, infest certain (mostly certain), areas of the city.

Little ole Savannah gets over 13 million tourists a year and as it's mostly the same people killing each other in the same neighborhoods,  it was kept very quiet. But lately, the killings are happening in the tourist,  historic sections.This past 4th of July it got real bad, with teenagers bringing murder into the tourist district once again.

In the small southern cities, some segments of the population will shoot you dead simply because they feel you looked at then wrong--that you 'dissed them'. Nobody who witnesses it ever says anything and the shooters actually gain respect in their neighborhoods.

The gang members never rat out the opposing gang bangers who shoot and kill their members, they simply seek revenge if they live to do so. People who live in the neighborhoods typically are just as closed lipped. Puts the cops at a real disadvantage.

Drinking on the city streets in open containers is legal and gun laws are such that basically anyone can open carry a sidearm. Only place you can't is churches and schools.---it's harder and more expensive to get a concealed weapons permit like I have.

Hell, even for a CC permit, you don't need to take a single minute of class work in handling, shooting firearms, they just want your money.

But in other small cities in the south when looked at on a per capita basis, they almost certainly have higher murder rates than the bigger metro places listed. It's just totally off the chain, with a lot of peach fuzz faced teens doing the killing for the older gang members, as the teens are almost never charged as adults.

Probably the least likely place in the USA with over 100,000 people for you to get murdered by a handgun is New York City, no sh!t. And there, it's also mostly organized crime and gangs killing each other, and and at a much, much  lower rate than other cities.

NYC's five boroughs don't even make national metropolitan lists for murders. I'm letting my wife go up there for 5 days with a  couple  of her old school girl friends in October. She'll be safer there than here in the south.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/chicago-not-most-dangerous-city-america/

Offline buencamino3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
"...tiene tres lesiones con arma" punzocortante" from El Pais yesterday.  He was stabbed not shot. Someone on Trip Advisor with that name posted in defense of homosexual travelers. He may have met someone on the internet but may not have been a chica...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294073-i1708-k6453743-o20-Solo_gay_traveler_to_Cartagena-Colombia.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:38:36 PM by buencamino3 »
Hermosamente feliz

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 01:32:54 AM »
"...tiene tres lesiones con arma" punzocortante" from El Pais yesterday.  He was stabbed not shot. Someone on Trip Advisor with that name posted in defense of homosexual travelers. He may have met someone on the internet but may not have been a chica...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294073-i1708-k6453743-o20-Solo_gay_traveler_to_Cartagena-Colombia.html

I also saw the news on TV and they said he was stabbed as well.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
i saw one said shot, other  stabbed, either way, not good. wonder who he met and let in his apartment.  very dangerous let somebody into your apartment in medlelin, between getting drugged by scoplamine, robed  shot or stabbed,, just not worth it.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »
i saw one said shot, other  stabbed, either way, not good. wonder who he met and let in his apartment.  very dangerous let somebody into your apartment in medlelin, between getting drugged by scoplamine, robed  shot or stabbed,, just not worth it.

The thing is....bad [snip] can happen to anyone anywhere.

But some people just attract bad things.

20 years of living in and traveling to Colombia and nothing bad has happened to me yet.

And I have a friend that has spent about half as much time in Colombia and he has been robbed at gun point....lost numerous phones and has had women steal things from his apartment.

A lot is out of your control....but where you go....who you associate with....and what you do....are in your control......and that is the deciding factor most of the time.

Offline Ricardo1

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »

A lot is out of your control....but where you go....who you associate with....and what you do....are in your control......and that is the deciding factor most of the time.

Good point, and well worth noting, Calipro!

Yes, the 'out of your control' part really escalates when one is careless about associates (male or female), where and when you're hanging out, and of activities on gets involved with.  Haven't had any trouble in Colombia and have been there multiple times since 2001 .... touch wood!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »

The thing is....bad [snip] can happen to anyone anywhere.

But some people just attract bad things.

20 years of living in and traveling to Colombia and nothing bad has happened to me yet.

And I have a friend that has spent about half as much time in Colombia and he has been robbed at gun point....lost numerous phones and has had women steal things from his apartment.

A lot is out of your control. I've been caught in the midst of an attempted coup de tat in a 3rd world country, witnessed several killings, but there's been a whole lot more times, in the USA as well as abroad, where I used my somewhat '6th sense of awareness ' and avoided some nasty things that were about to go down. Part of it was learned from living in NYC, back when it was wild and wooly  and especially in Detroit, on the wrong side of 8 Mile rd. (8 mile Rd itself never was 'that' bad) as well as in Manila, Philippines, where before the current President there reset the criminal climate, I never dare wear anything of value'. I just learned how to walk, (body language) how to more often NOT talk, when and how to look at people and when necessary as a last resort, to run. Too often people who 'look' and act like victims, end up being ones.

But nobody can outrun a bullet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:23:19 PM by robert angel »

Offline Fuzzyone

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
I met a Medellin woman on the internet and fourteen years later I am still sleeping next to her. I guess I should be worried lol!

Well I don't know if yours was a setup or not... come to think of it most of us married guys got set up and we still are married... I know Fathertime's wife and my wife were both from Barranquilla... ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »

in medellin, i would say yes, if your hanging around girls that are " party girls" and prepagos, some of them have some bad friends that you would never know about, until its too late. i have had a few locals tell me,  " be careful with some of these girls, you dont know who their friends are or their history, this isnt the USA, its medellin"

but, their is also the " wrong place at the wrong time" scenario in Medellin also. and  thats just bad luck.

i have had only one problem here  and that was some years ago. lesson learned.

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
In fifteen years living full time in Colombia I have never had a dangerous face to face confrontation with a human...
Hermosamente feliz

Offline Calipro

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 12:17:30 AM »

in medellin, i would say yes, if your hanging around girls that are " party girls" and prepagos, some of them have some bad friends that you would never know about, until its too late. i have had a few locals tell me,  " be careful with some of these girls, you dont know who their friends are or their history, this isnt the USA, its medellin"

i have had only one problem here  and that was some years ago. lesson learned.

Wow!

This doesn't sound like your same old Medellin women are all prepagos and party girls line.
This sounds like you really have a story to tell.

So was she a party gal or a full blown prepago and how did it go down?

Offline ignorante

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »
Drinking on the city streets in open containers is legal and gun laws are such that basically anyone can open carry a sidearm. Only place you can't is churches and schools.---it's harder and more expensive to get a concealed weapons permit like I have.
Just FYI, in Georgia churches can permit carry.  If they don't, its only a $100 fine, no arrest.  As for schools, we just got college carry passed July 1.  Also, your permit is not a concealed carry permit.  It is a Georgia Weapons Carry License.  It is good for carrying openly or concealed, your choice.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »
Just FYI, in Georgia churches can permit carry.  If they don't, its only a $100 fine, no arrest.  As for schools, we just got college carry passed July 1.  Also, your permit is not a concealed carry permit.  It is a Georgia Weapons Carry License.  It is good for carrying openly or concealed, your choice.

Thanks for the info. Fancy that. While I believe that "The only thing that can stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun", the fact is that even felons, drug dealers and addicts, desperate people, often carry illegally and guns are cheap and readily available. Or they just break into homes and cars and get them for free.

We have drive by shootings where the shooters are wildly inaccurate and just spray whole clips of bullets at people, sometimes in crowded areas, hoping they hit someone they don't like, but not really worrying about collateral damage. If they get caught, they're out pretty quickly and more often than not, back into the same  behavior.

There's so much anger driving on the streets, walking around, so much  drug and alcohol abuse and simmering racial issues, that it's just nuts. Even women, whether they're wealthy or poor, on food stamps,  living in Section 8 housing or in exclusive gated communities, often have a gun in their purse, as well as a razor/knife.

I thought college student carry was shot down by the politicians, but I see now you're right. Not surprised really. Must make those keg parties more interesting.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »

The girls whom he met - probably prostitutes, prepagos unlike yours ;)

Offline Calipro

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »

The girls whom he met - probably prostitutes, prepagos unlike yours ;)

Who is he?

The dead guy?

Who said he ever met any women.....muddy just made that up....because has had bad experiences with low class women in the past

Rumor has it ....that the guy was gay

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 06:28:58 PM »
Damn, I got my tickets this morning and I read this

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 07:41:35 PM »

I thought college student carry was shot down by the politicians...

You punster you...
Hermosamente feliz

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
Damn, I got my tickets this morning and I read this

You will be fine and have a great time. The only one who will be disappointed will be Mudd.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 01:46:44 PM »

You will be fine and have a great time. The only one who will be disappointed will be Mudd.

Agreed. The unfortunate case of Dennis Levy is the only one I've ever heard about that didn't involve drugs or hookers. If you go looking for stuff like that in Medallo you're always putting yourself at risk Otherwise its like any other modern in the world. Stay alert, pay attention to your surroundings, stick to safe areas, etc., etc. and you'll be fine.

I'll be there from the 23rd until the 25th of August. If you're still in town hit me up.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
Manizales by far the safest city In Colombia..

But its still Colombia..

We all gonna die someday..no use hiding under yer bed like a beta boy , nancy, nervous nellie type..

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 152