It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Colombia...finally!! Cali or Medellin???  (Read 17627 times)

Offline htown

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Colombia...finally!! Cali or Medellin???
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »
I'll be arriving in Bogota the first week of September, then bussing it to either Cali or Medellin.  I plan on staying at a hostel while I look for an apartment.

So guys, any tips or suggestions?  Cali or Medellin?

I've got two weeks to figure out which one.

Dance with the one who brung ya!  :)

Offline Micky

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Colombia...finally!! Cali or Medellin???
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »
HT -

What are the most important things to you,  comfort zone,  etc,  that a city can offer?

Micky
Don't crap on my 2 yard line!

Offline htown

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
Well I'm sort of leaning towards Medellin.  Some have said the women are more attractive.  The weather is better.  The city is nicer and cleaner.  Public transportation is better.

The downside I've seen mentioned about Medellin is that there are tons of gringos already there and they're basically all assumed to be druggies and sex-tourists.  I don't really want to hang out with this crowd nor do I want to be labeled as one of them.  Now, I do definitely want to get out and meet plenty of beautiful, quality women and avoid the gold-diggers and gringo-chasers.

That seems to be one of the pros of Cali, there are far less gringos and hopefully less gold-diggers and gringo-chasers.  Is that an accurate assessment?  Is the Medellin weather that much better than the Cali weather?  Are the Paisas that much more attractive than the Calenas?

Are the Calenas more approachable than Paisas?  Friendlier?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:13:11 PM »
Well I'm sort of leaning towards Medellin.  Some have said the women are more attractive.  The weather is better.  The city is nicer and cleaner.  Public transportation is better.

The downside I've seen mentioned about Medellin is that there are tons of gringos already there and they're basically all assumed to be druggies and sex-tourists.  I don't really want to hang out with this crowd nor do I want to be labeled as one of them.  Now, I do definitely want to get out and meet plenty of beautiful, quality women and avoid the gold-diggers and gringo-chasers.

That seems to be one of the pros of Cali, there are far less gringos and hopefully less gold-diggers and gringo-chasers.  Is that an accurate assessment?  Is the Medellin weather that much better than the Cali weather?  Are the Paisas that much more attractive than the Calenas?

How do you plan on meeting these "beautiful, quality women"?

Wouldn't write off gringo-chasers just yet...some aren't bad looking and they have a high tolerance for crappy Spanish. jajaja

Telling a hot Paisa that you are on vacation and or looking for a wife to take back to the States will go over like a lead balloon. LOL!!
Unless of course she is a gringo chaser or a gold-digger.

The weather and city of Medellin is nicer than Cali....There isn't much difference in the quality of women in Medellin or Cali if you date women in their early 20's.
If you like women in their early 30's .....for my tastes I'd stick with Medellin because the women stay thinner longer. Calenas tend to thicken up in their 30's and
plenty have had plastic surgery by then.

Personally I think you would probably like going out with Calenas better than Paisas because Calenas tend to spend quality time with you just because they like you.....while Paisas spend quality time with you because they like you and some other calculation that is hard to put a finger on.....but I can tell you being a tourist or a wife hunter is not going to be a good selling point for the vast majority of non gringo chasers. jajaja

Offline htown

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »

How do you plan on meeting these "beautiful, quality women"?

Basically the same way anyone else meets women, at clubs, parties, shopping malls, anywhere.  I know how to make friends with the right types of guys who associate with the better looking women.

Wouldn't write off gringo-chasers just yet...some aren't bad looking and they have a high tolerance for crappy Spanish. jajaja

Telling a hot Paisa that you are on vacation and or looking for a wife to take back to the States will go over like a lead balloon. LOL!!
Unless of course she is a gringo chaser or a gold-digger.

The weather and city of Medellin is nicer than Cali....There isn't much difference in the quality of women in Medellin or Cali if you date women in their early 20's.
If you like women in their early 30's .....for my tastes I'd stick with Medellin because the women stay thinner longer. Calenas tend to thicken up in their 30's and
plenty have had plastic surgery by then.

Personally I think you would probably like going out with Calenas better than Paisas because Calenas tend to spend quality time with you just because they like you.....while Paisas spend quality time with you because they like you and some other calculation that is hard to put a finger on.....but I can tell you being a tourist or a wife hunter is not going to be a good selling point for the vast majority of non gringo chasers. jajaja

Thanks for the advice.  I plan on doing my best at fitting in and trying to come across as just an average, nice guy.

Once I rent an apartment, how easy is it to get hooked up with high speed internet?  Will I be able to put the service in my name since I'm a foreigner?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:43:15 AM »

Basically the same way anyone else meets women, at clubs, parties, shopping malls, anywhere.  I know how to make friends with the right types of guys who associate with the better looking women.

Hmmmm....sounds like you have a plan.....but believe me most guys that go down there for the first time....do not use cold approaches to meet women....even if they had the balls to do it....there Spanish is just not good enough....it would be an uphill battle but you could just try opening women with English and if the woman even makes a reasonable attempt at communicating with you..... then you  know she is interested.

By far the best way to meet women in Medellin will be to befriend guys that know a lot of women....colombian guys have much larger social circles on average than the gringos that live in Colombia and seem much more willing to introduce you to their lady friends right from the get go. Photographers are the best....but keep in mind that if he invites 4 or 5 chicks to go out with you....you will most likely be picking up the whole tab at the end of the night....so make sure it is worth it.

The bad part about Medellin is there are too many gringos especially in Poblado....the good new is there are business that cater to their every need. There are literally 100's of high end short term apartments for rent compare to just a handful in Cali.

http://theapartmentmedellin.com/

http://www.medellinrentalsonline.net/

http://www.medellinapartments.net/

Go to craig's list colombia for even more.

You are going to have to rent an apartment that already has internet service because you won't be able to get a connection without a cedula. If you have some type of visa that is good for a year or more you will have to apply for a cedula within 2 weeks of your arrival.

How long will you be staying in Colombia? I plan on going to Medellin for a week or two in October to scout out a place to stay and make some connections before I go back in  jan. to see if I can get used to living in Medellin long term.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 12:40:22 PM »

Yes the Calenas are more friendlier than the Paisas.  If you plan to go to Cali, Chipichape is a good place to go.

About the ladies, it depends on your taste.  If you prefer 'model' figure, then go to Medellin, but if you prefer 'big breasts' thickier girls and darker tan, then go to Cali.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »

http://picturetrail.com/calipro

Recent pics from Cali over the last few months
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:33:21 PM by Calipro »

Offline htown

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »
Those are some great pics you have their calipro.  Truly beautiful ladies indeed.

Can one get a cedula with only the regular tourist visa or do you need something more like a student or work visa?

I plan on being in colombia for at least 3 months, but probably alot longer.  Those rental links you posted look like some really great places but I'll be looking in the regular classifieds for a cheap apartment.  I want to live like a ordinary colombian while I'm there.  Those gringo penthouses probably have interesadas and prepagos camped out across the street just waiting for their chance to strike, lol!  Not that that's a bad thing for the guys looking for that type of experience in a short time frame.

Gato, I'm definitely looking for the "model" figure my friend.  Indeed!

I'm still leaning towards medellin, but I still have 2 more weeks to decide.  What I might do is go down and spend a couple days in each city to see which suits me best.

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming!

Offline Micky

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
HT -

Maybe your idea of going to both cities for a few days to begin with is a good plan.  We all tend to promote what we like,  or where we live,  but Colombia is very regional and you may find one place that fits your own tastes better than another.

If you plan on staying for an extended period,  you may want to check out a student visa,  or just get extensions on your tourist visa.  I would check out the embassy website for the current info.  No cedula with a tourist visa.

Meeting women is not all that hard.  Here you can tell a women,  "Wow,  you smell great",  and 99 times out of a hundred the worst thing that will happen is you will get a thank you and a great big smile.  You do not need  "tons of game",  or be ballsy.  In general,  the women here are MUCH more receptive to a man's natural way.  Two of the negative ways to go -  One,  if you are a "full of crap,  player",  many women can read that like it is in large print.  Two,  you can not have fear about the cold approach,  if you are cool with it,  it can fly.  Having said that,  you may be better off if you do the ColombianCupid type of website for finding hook ups before,  and when you are here.  No matter how you choose to do it,  just go with fits you and your style.

I get a little tired of hearing about ALL the gringos in Medellin.  That is BS,  I go months without seeing an obvious gringo here.  Sure,  if you are camped out at Parque Lleras you will see gringos,  but other than that,  I do not know where ALL these gringos are.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about Medellin.  If you want I can take a half day,  two days, what ever you need and show you the ropes.  I do not know it all,  but two months and it is five years here and I do know north from south.

Micky 

Offline htown

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
Good info Micky, thanks. 

What are the best dating sites for meeting colombianas online? 

Will renting an apartment be a pretty easy process? 

What about utilities like water and electricity, will I need to have that in my name like the US or does the landlord take care of it?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
Good info Micky, thanks. 

What are the best dating sites for meeting colombianas online? 

Will renting an apartment be a pretty easy process? 

What about utilities like water and electricity, will I need to have that in my name like the US or does the landlord take care of it?

You don't have a cedula so you won't be able to get utilities in your name....most landlords keep the utilities in their name anyway.

Signing a lease without a cedula can be a problem with real estate agents....so try and find a rent by owner and make your own deal. Pay three months rent upfront if
you have to but make sure you sign an agreement.

I would check out craigslist and just drive a real hard bargain on a short term rental by offering to pay three months upfront.

I always laugh when guys tell me that they want to live like a colombian.
I think you should test it out before you leave for colombia.
Turn off your A/C, stop using the clothes dryer, take the seat off of your toilet and blast your stereo morning till night....then eat rice and beans with an egg on top for a few days and get back with me. jajaja
If you live in a low strata in Colombia you won't need a stereo anyway because you'll be able to hear your neighbors from friday afternoon till sunday night. jajaja

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »

Nice photos Calipro.  I love those Calenas.

Good thread.  Great to hear from Mickey and Calipro who both live in Colombia and have real on the ground info/advice to give for their respective cities.

If only I could find a way to relocate down there permanently......

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »

Cali,

Hold down the fort. I'll be down there in just in second! LOL!!!

Offline htown

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »

You don't have a cedula so you won't be able to get utilities in your name....most landlords keep the utilities in their name anyway.

Signing a lease without a cedula can be a problem with real estate agents....so try and find a rent by owner and make your own deal. Pay three months rent upfront if
you have to but make sure you sign an agreement.

I would check out craigslist and just drive a real hard bargain on a short term rental by offering to pay three months upfront.

I always laugh when guys tell me that they want to live like a colombian.
I think you should test it out before you leave for colombia.
Turn off your A/C, stop using the clothes dryer, take the seat off of your toilet and blast your stereo morning till night....then eat rice and beans with an egg on top for a few days and get back with me. jajaja
If you live in a low strata in Colombia you won't need a stereo anyway because you'll be able to hear your neighbors from friday afternoon till sunday night. jajaja

I checked out craigslist, they've got some really nice places at some decent prices on there.  But I'll probably still end up going to one of the more common barrios, just to get that experience, at least for the first few months.  Plus I dont' think I'll need ac in medellin?  Does it get hot enough in cali that you need ac? 

When I lived in mexico I've always rented in the nicer part of town but hung out in the barrios and always wanted to actually live in the barrios.  I love the noise, the streets constantly filled with people, everybody knows everybody, the street food.  I love that in the barrios a party could just break out at anytime day or night for no reason at all.

Offline htown

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »
Does it rain every single day in medellin?  I'm asking because one of the main reasons I want to go there is I always hear that the weather is so perfect but every time I check the weather report I see rain, thunderstorms.

On the highspeed internet thing I'll probably find somebody who'll accept a few pesos to let me order the service in their name since I won't have a cedula.  I noticed that une has a prepaid 4g mobile service too, maybe that will work.

I've been using social networking sites to meet alot of females down there.  I never knew it was that easy.  I signed up on romancelatina but haven't actually contacted any of them.

I've pretty much decided to go to medellin.  The two advantages I thought that cali had were 1 less gringos, and 2 friendlier women.  But I figure in a city of 4 million people, how many gringos could there possibly be?  And I'm sure not all of the paisas are cold and stuck-up golddiggers right?

The only thing I'm wondering about now is the rain.  I don't want to go somewhere that it rains all the time.  How much does it rain in cali, and overall how is the weather?

Less than 2 weeks, I'm starting to get kinda nervous lol.

Offline Micky

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
HT -

The rain is sporadic.  Not many days that it rains all day,  or even most of the day.  Today was a typical rain day,  about mid day,  hard rain for about 30/40 min,  then nothing till about 45 min ago about 845. Even new,  high end places here are generally built without a heater or air,  the number of days either is needed during the year is minimal.

Finding a apto should not be all that hard.  Since you do want furnished and you can even look for one with everything included - utilities,  internet,  administration,  etc.  No different than most places in the world, money talks.  With normal rentals they do credit checks,  etc.,  with short term,  you can deal a little, example,  rent for 3/4 months and pay the entire thing up front.  One thing that you do not want to do is spend a lot of time looking.  I do understand your not wanting to hang/live with the "Poblado crowd",  but the reality of finding a furnished rental means that you will most likely,  at worst,  be in an estrado 4 barrio. There are many other nice barrios that are not Pablado,  include pretty much all of Envigado and Sabaneta in that.

The concensus seams to be ColombianCupid,  I do not know the real deal on that score,  but it does get the nod most of the time.

Micky 

Offline htown

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
Mickey

I'll take your word for it amigo about the medellin weather.  I've been looking around at alot of rental sites.  I'm not looking for a furnished apartment, I'm looking for a regular place in an estrato 3 neighborhood.  I want to experience colombia from the point of view of a middle-class colombian, for the first six months anyway.  I plan on doing everything on the cheap.  When I've spent time living and hanging out in mexico, I always had a tendency to spend alot of money and sort of show off.  That always resulted in me making alot of friends but after a while it starts to feel artificial.  I don't want that in colombia.  I want to live among the common man and see what life is like for the average colombiano, the good and the bad.  And any female I meet will be sure to understand up front that I don't have much money to spend on her and I'm in no way anybody's ticket to gringo land, not even close.  Only then do I think I'll get a chance to see the real Colombia.

Offline whitey

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
I think you've got the right attitude and approach there, htown.  Some estrato 3 neighbourhoods can be pretty rough and dangerous, while others not so bad ... so be choosy.  You can still go up to estrato 4 and get a middle class experience.  Personally, I would go for 4. 

My wife's neighbourhood is a 3, and it can be a little dangerous after dark for a gringo or for women.  My wife's family doesn't like me to go anywhere at night without an escort.
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline htown

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 05:59:55 PM »
Whitey, yea on these rental sites some of the estrato 3 places appear to be a little rough around the edges.  My ideal place would be the cheapest place I can find with hot water, a stovetop, and a swimming pool.  The hot water and stovetop are necessary but I don't necessarily need the pool, which would bump me up into the estrato 4 range anyway.  I can't help imagining what it will be like going down to the pool and seeing the paisa girls walking around in their bathing suits though :) .

I've already made friends with alot of girls on my social networking sites, so I've already got a bunch of "guides" lined up to show me the city.  I wonder how many of them will flake out once I get down there though.  Hopefully none of them are waiting to set me up to get kidnapped lol.  That's one of the reasons I want to present myself as being poor(not that I'm rich by any standards).  I don't want to become a target.  Hey it's going to be my first time in colombia.  This is literally all I think about day and night.  It won't be much longer now.  :)

Offline Calipro

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
Whitey, yea on these rental sites some of the estrato 3 places appear to be a little rough around the edges.  My ideal place would be the cheapest place I can find with hot water, a stovetop, and a swimming pool.  The hot water and stovetop are necessary but I don't necessarily need the pool, which would bump me up into the estrato 4 range anyway.  I can't help imagining what it will be like going down to the pool and seeing the paisa girls walking around in their bathing suits though :) .

I've already made friends with alot of girls on my social networking sites, so I've already got a bunch of "guides" lined up to show me the city.  I wonder how many of them will flake out once I get down there though.  Hopefully none of them are waiting to set me up to get kidnapped lol.  That's one of the reasons I want to present myself as being poor(not that I'm rich by any standards).  I don't want to become a target.  Hey it's going to be my first time in colombia.  This is literally all I think about day and night.  It won't be much longer now.  :)

Wow....I thought you were going to avoid the gringo chasers and do some cold approaches instead of taking the low hanging fruit from the websites.

Your chances of getting kidnapped in any major city in Colombia is so low that it shouldn't even cross your mind.

I don't think pretending you are something you are not (poor) will not do you much good in the long run and surrounding yourself by working class colombianos in a strata 3 barrio is not going to make you any safer by any means.

Living in a building with 24 hour armed security and knowing that your suck up neighbors are not thieves will make you much, much safer....take my advice on that.

Offline htown

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »

Wow....I thought you were going to avoid the gringo chasers and do some cold approaches instead of taking the low hanging fruit from the websites.

Jaja, good one amigo.  I'm meeting them on a regular social network site, not a site aimed at hooking up gringos with latinas.  I registered at romancelatina but they charge to contact the girls and I'm already meeting girls for free on the other site, so I haven't contacted any of the ladies on there.

Your chances of getting kidnapped in any major city in Colombia is so low that it shouldn't even cross your mind. 

I like the sound of that.  :)

I don't think pretending you are something you are not (poor) will not do you much good in the long run and surrounding yourself by working class colombianos in a strata 3 barrio is not going to make you any safer by any means.

Living in a building with 24 hour armed security and knowing that your suck up neighbors are not thieves will make you much, much safer....take my advice on that.

Ooooohh, 24 hour armed security and stuck up neighbors..... hmm, I don't know if I like the sound of that lol.

I've noticed alot of the apartment complexes have swimming pools attached.  What is the scene like at the pools?  Here in texas alot of the apartment swimming pools are the party spot.  You go out there with your beer and music and make friends with the neighbors.  Hopefully it's like that in colombia.  Does it get warm enough en medellin that people spend alot of time outside at the pool?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »

Jaja, good one amigo.  I'm meeting them on a regular social network site, not a site aimed at hooking up gringos with latinas.  I registered at romancelatina but they charge to contact the girls and I'm already meeting girls for free on the other site, so I haven't contacted any of the ladies on there.

I like the sound of that.  :)

Ooooohh, 24 hour armed security and stuck up neighbors..... hmm, I don't know if I like the sound of that lol.

I've noticed alot of the apartment complexes have swimming pools attached.  What is the scene like at the pools?  Here in texas alot of the apartment swimming pools are the party spot.  You go out there with your beer and music and make friends with the neighbors.  Hopefully it's like that in colombia.  Does it get warm enough en medellin that people spend alot of time outside at the pool?

Hmmm If you don't like 24/7 armed security at least do yourself the favor of not renting a place in a strata 3 barrio where your front door opens out right out to the street.

Well in a high end building....if you see a hot chick at the pool....you can be pretty sure she is not living alone....and the pools in a strata three complex are usually over run with kids. jajaja

I recommend you meet women out and invite them over for a swim.....people in high end buildings are very polite but not as openly friendly as more common colombianos as a rule.

I stayed in one complex in Medellin that actually had a heated pool but cold water never stopped the colombianos from swimming in the other buildings with pools that I stayed at.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »

Offline V_Man

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »
htown, my girl lives in a strata 3 barrio. I feel safe enough to be a visitor there but I am never left alone outside the house. Not even for half a minute.

I am white, blue eyed, etc and so everyone sees me comming but don't think you will be mistaken for a Colombian. You are not them and they know it. Even if you were, you need to be a little realistic about your safety. Last weekend two mates go drunk outside my girls appartment and and one stabed the other to death.

I don't think you should move into one of those areas until you have lived in Colombia for awhile. Get yourself an appartment in a strata 4 barrio with 24/7 security. That is plenty normal and average enough.     

Also I think you can go too far to show you are not rich. Colombian women want to know they are going to have a stable future. The good ones don't want a millionare but they don't want to struggle just to stay out of poverty all their lives either. Who would?

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
I have only been to Medellin 1 time and it was just OK for my liking but in Cali there is a complex called La Flora near Exito and Chipichapi and I am not sure what strata it is, but it is safe, great pool and working people, all be it working people with cars . If you could find this type of complex in Medellin, I think that would fit you very nicely.

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats