It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: The Sounds of Medellin  (Read 2369 times)

Offline euforia51

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
The Sounds of Medellin
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
I'm not really sure why I never posted a topic about the music of Colombia, or at least Medellin, since music in general has always been a key motivator in my life since I was very young. People talk alot about the beauty of the women here, the poverty, the security (or lack thereof), among many other obvious subjects. But one of the more refreshing factors for me when I visit here, and long after I've departed, is the music.

While you can absolutely tune into a radio station and hear the typical American pop songs, mainly from the 70s on up to the present, for the most part, when you are traveling on buses, or in taxis, you will more often than not hear traditional Spanish music, Reggaeton, and a slew of other influences all of which have an addictive ora to it that appeals to the young and old alike. While much of the music is not native to Colombia, it seems it is the universal rhythm that is representative of the Spanish / Latin culture as a whole.

I put together a Youtube playlist (Sounds of Colombia) that I invite you to have a look at. Right now, there are only 4 songs. But I'm certain I'll add more later. In order of appearance:

• Dutty Love :: from the popular Reggaeton artist, Don Omar. I believe he is from Puerto Rico.
  • Escapate Conmigo :: another Reggaeton song performed by my novia's cousin who lives in Cartagena. Give him a thumbs up if you like it.
  • Me Sobran Las Palabras :: a Vallenato song that will always remind me of my first visit here.
  • Balada del Pistolero :: performed by la guitarrista se llama Guiseppe who is from the same barrio of Belen where my novia grew up.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:25:38 PM by euforia51 »

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: The Sounds of Medellin
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:39:50 PM »
I don't understand why no one replied to your post, Euforia. I really liked your playlist! I liked your novia's cousin's song but then I'm a fool for reggaeton. One of the best things about learning Spanish for me was opening a whole world of music that I was previously unaware of - tonight we go dancing at a San Antonio Latin dance club to welcome in the new year.

Feliz ano nuevo, Senor!

Offline whitey

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »
Utopiacowboy is back! You were missed.  Feliz Ano Nuevo!

I like reggaeton when I'm in the right mood ... will have to check out your list euforia ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »

Offline Dan Las Vegas

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »
Welcome back UC!  Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Hope all is well with you and the family, have you been back to Medellin recently?

Dan LV

Offline aconcepts

• Ka what?!?
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
Thanks for the play list it gets me in the mood for my first trip to medellin and Bucara.

Really like Escapete Conmigo... It’s got a great roots vibe..

The vallenato tune is also popular in Costa Rica.

Giuseppe reminded me of a Colombian version of the Costa Rica Latin Jazz fusion group Strunz and Farah. Check them out if you have never heard them. Reminds me of the late eighties in Manual Antonio before the road was paved and Costa Rica became merchandise sold to mid america. Just eccentrics and adventurers then. Not like now. I lived on my 100 hectare ranch and drank spring water from banana leaves. My friends used to say 'Costa what?." Where is that? Then I invested there and began building a hotel. They said I was crazy. yeah crazy all the way to the bank. All jungle then. Jaco was a gas station only and a couple bars. Manueal Antonio was the Mariposa, Plinios and the Costa Verde and a couple slun Tico hotels. I'd give back every nickel of equity I have in Costa Rica to live those times again.

Arrayo reminds me on the many years  spent living on a yacht in the Marina Hemmingway and my pad in Nautico Cuba with my Cars and Harleys (57 pan head) police special suicide shift). Lot of Habana Club rum, Bucanero and Crystal beer, french bread Ham and Lobster not to mention my three on the tree 57 chevy hard top, Casa De la Musica in Miramar (Sante Fe actually) were there was the best of the best muscially in Cuba, and riding my motorcycle through Valle Vinales and the Pinar de Rio tobacco fields all the way to Playa Maria la Gorda - on a hard tail. That trip took about 2 weeks. The pista was in perfect shape and almost deserted. Very little crime in Cuba relatively speaking especially on the deserted west end. Stayed with locals almost the entire town and that meant without hot water except what was heated on the stove and brought to the shower, cup and bucket showers. Wow I actually miss them. Great thing about Cuba beside the women was the Music… wow.

And Juanes is of course Juanes.

Really made me reminice - Please add more as the music created memories of wilder times and expectations of future wilder times.

Is anybody watching the Bills and Pats - great game...

Thanks again

Don Diego

"but we who knew that different truths can coexist thought not that we were lowering ourselves by countenancing another's truth, unpalatable though it might seem."

Offline euforia51

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
Good deal ... thanks for the replies so far. Glad you liked Glory's cousin as well. I'll add more as I search and become more familiar with the music there. I was out at a club with Glory the other night and heard a bad-a$$ Costena  song (I mean nye ... haven't found that key on my Gringo keyboard). Costena music seems to have it's own flavor from what I have heard so far. Glory points these things out to me when she hears something she likes and thinks I may like as well.

Joe Arroya is one of her favorites and I swear she mourned for a month when he died this year. Hell, most of Colombia probably did. He's an icon there.

She pointed out Giuseppe to me. Now he's a pretty bad player (the good kind of bad, of course). And after hearing him, I started to look a little deeper into the Flamenco / Spanish style. And I found some pretty amazing players in that genre. Some guys are giving video lessons; others are playing solo.

Check out this little diddy from Andre Segovia playing snippets of Mozart and it makes me wonder if Eddie Van Halen just so happened to be influenced by this guy's technique ... maybe a little, I think. Towards the end of the video you'll hear it. Anywho...

Good to see you UC, whitey, DLV ... aconcepts thanks for checking it out along with the additional info. I think you'll enjoy Medellin.

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Andre Segovia
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:40:03 PM by euforia51 »

Offline aconcepts

• Ka what?!?
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
Segovia is my favorite cooking and dining music alon with julian bream.

Did you check out Strunz & Fahra (worth it / the best tune is Americas).
"but we who knew that different truths can coexist thought not that we were lowering ourselves by countenancing another's truth, unpalatable though it might seem."

Offline euforia51

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »
Did you check out Strunz & Fahra (worth it / the best tune is Americas).
Listening now as I make a reply. Awesome! All of this Spanish music is new for me and is opening up a new world ... Since you know of these guys, you probably already know the song Fantaseo. If not, check that out ... muy buena cancion!
Added another artista this evening to my playlist ... Carlos Vive. My novia says he is from Santa Marta. He reminds me of Juanes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:02:21 PM by euforia51 »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864