It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: My wife's DNA test results  (Read 1912 times)

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
My wife's DNA test results
« on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:24 AM »
My wife took one of the DNA tests that are offered and the results came back the other day. I imagine that they are like many Latinos in the mix of heritages. Her results:

Spain                                                       36%
Native American - North, Central, South  20%
Native American - Andean                       13%
Portugal                                                   12%
France                                                       9%
Cameroon, Congo & Southern Bantu        3%
Germanic Europe                                       2%
Basque                                                      1%
European Jewish                                       1% 
Italy                                                           1%
Norway                                                      1%
Senegal                                                     1%

I was surprised that she did not have a higher Jewish percentage but the rest of the results did not surprise me. She is very fair skinned so I thought that she probably did not have a lot of African DNA but almost everyone down there probably has a smidgen of African DNA.

I took a DNA test from a company that specializes in the British Isles since I knew that I am 100% from there and sure enough the results came out as I expected:

Ireland                   78.5%
England                     19%
Scotland                   2.5%

They break out the results into different parts of England and Scotland and Ireland. The one interesting part of their testing was the Y-DNA test that you get from the patrilineal line. I have a very common Irish name and I thought that everyone who had that name must be distantly related in the male line but this is not the case. In fact nine different Irish groups have that same last name but are not in fact related. As it turns out I am more closely related to the McCarthys in Ireland and the MacDonalds in Scotland, both of whom have the same Y-DNA haplogroup.

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: My wife's DNA test results
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
I did 23andme for myself and not surprisingly my ancestry is 100% European...I am very curious to know my wife's DNA as she is mixed race....

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
My wife took one of the DNA tests that are offered and the results came back the other day. I imagine that they are like many Latinos in the mix of heritages. Her results:

Spain                                                       36%
Native American - North, Central, South  20%
Native American - Andean                       13%
Portugal                                                   12%
France                                                       9%
Cameroon, Congo & Southern Bantu        3%
Germanic Europe                                       2%
Basque                                                      1%
European Jewish                                       1% 
Italy                                                           1%
Norway                                                      1%
Senegal                                                     1%

I was surprised that she did not have a higher Jewish percentage but the rest of the results did not surprise me. She is very fair skinned so I thought that she probably did not have a lot of African DNA but almost everyone down there probably has a smidgen of African DNA.

I took a DNA test from a company that specializes in the British Isles since I knew that I am 100% from there and sure enough the results came out as I expected:

Ireland                   78.5%
England                     19%
Scotland                   2.5%

They break out the results into different parts of England and Scotland and Ireland. The one interesting part of their testing was the Y-DNA test that you get from the patrilineal line. I have a very common Irish name and I thought that everyone who had that name must be distantly related in the male line but this is not the case. In fact nine different Irish groups have that same last name but are not in fact related. As it turns out I am more closely related to the McCarthys in Ireland and the MacDonalds in Scotland, both of whom have the same Y-DNA haplogroup.

eurpoean jewish ?  i would guess that means from poland area of europe?? thats like saying italian catholic

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 06:07:33 PM »

eurpoean jewish ?  i would guess that means from poland area of europe?? thats like saying italian catholic

Not necesarily. You actually hit the nail right on the head. Although the Jewish culture is probably one of the most successful in history when it comes to resisting miscegenation; they were mixing with the Poles for centuries. Jews always stuck with their own kind and they did it for thousands of years but there is a significant exception. Many Europeans of the era blamed Jews for the Black Plague which resulted in a brutal campaign of anti-semitism in Europe. King Casimir III made Poland one of the only safe havens for Jews on that continent, so many of them resettled there over the next few centuries, inevitably “mixing it up” with the Poles and picking up a few of their genes in the process. Middle Eastern jews do not have those genes...hence the differentiation.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:09:09 PM by benjio »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 10:46:15 AM »
Thats kinda interesting. I wonder if these test are realistic

Maybe I should take one. My Uncle claims my grandma (oiginally from Poland) was half Jewish.. which is kinda funny..cuz she seemed quite anti-semetic to me..

Maybe it isnt so funny because a lot of the Nazis were purportd to have Jewish blood

Anyway, my Mom said she wasnt anti semetic..only talked a lot, and said she took in a Jewish boarders on the farm when my mom was little

Maybe I should check it out..I might have hotenteot blood

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 12:34:27 PM »
Thats kinda interesting. I wonder if these test are realistic

Maybe I should take one. My Uncle claims my grandma (oiginally from Poland) was half Jewish.. which is kinda funny..cuz she seemed quite anti-semetic to me..

Maybe it isnt so funny because a lot of the Nazis were purportd to have Jewish blood

Anyway, my Mom said she wasnt anti semetic..only talked a lot, and said she took in a Jewish boarders on the farm when my mom was little

Maybe I should check it out..I might have hotenteot blood

sorry elex buddy,  i dont thnk they have a dna test for cross breeding jackasses with goats.  ;D :D :D  couldnt resist

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 06:13:44 PM »
I wonder if these test are realistic

A good friend of mine went to school for forensics and told me about 70% of the curriculum is genetics and DNA nowadays. He told me the civilian tests are mostly bull[snip]. It is possible to get an accurate breakdown of your ancestry but the most accurate tests cost hundreds of dollars at least! Perhaps there has been some progress made and the cookie cutter tests you get from sites like ancestry.com have gotten better, as he told me this years ago. But I doubt it.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 333