It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Vista  (Read 3083 times)

Offline papi

Vista
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:18:22 PM »
i just bought a new PC which comes with Vista. It is always painful getting a new PC tweaked for Papi surfing but so far not too many bumps in the road. Only 1 crash trying to import my Outlook database.

To keep things on topic, Vista comes with a cool gadget bar....one of the devices is a realtime currency exchange. I set it to USD/COP and can see it is running 2235.500. Not great. It also has a thermometer...i don't have it set to Cali but can tell you my area is currently 68 Fahrenheit. Checkout Vista...it is slick

PS Does anyone know how to set a button on my Firefox toolbar for new tabs rather than hitting Alt+F, T?
Red Bull may give you wings, but if Flakes could fly - BAQ is in fact an airport

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
Re: Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:58:41 PM »
My experience is Firefox took that new tab button away a few versions ago;  the most current version has this option -- right click any tab and the submenu allows you to create a new tab.

DayTrader
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Offline papi

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »
right click any tab and the submenu allows you to create a new tab.

Thanks DT - that was helpful..

Red Bull may give you wings, but if Flakes could fly - BAQ is in fact an airport

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »

Offline catz

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 04:10:48 AM »
You can go to Tools -> Options -> Tabs to set it up to open links with a tab in the current window if you like.

Offline papi

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:07:33 AM »
You can go to Tools -> Options -> Tabs to set it up to open links with a tab in the current window if you like.

that is the default setting. i was looking for a shortcut to open tabs. New versions of IE is simpler in this respect but DT got it done. Fox rocks!

Offline papi

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:10:05 AM »
my Vista gadgets on my desktop reports it is 8.08 AM, Feb 6, 50 Fahrenheit in the valley and a peso exchange of 2,225.500

Offline papi

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 01:44:04 PM »
i just right clicked the Firefox Latest Headlines and it opens all news stories in a tab - very cool! Fox rocks! Vista desktop gadgets reports valley weather outside 72 Fahrenheit and a 2222.500 peso

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
Re: Vista -- Firefox
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 02:35:01 PM »
Some other nifty things about the current FireFox are: 
using CTRL -B (bookmarks on the side) you can group particular bookmarks under "bookmarks toolbar"  -- this puts bookmarks at the top of your Firefox browser, thus giving you one click access to frequent sites -- I use it for all my vendor/banking bookmarks I use frequently. 

Just bookmark a site and drag  or cut/paste the bookmark up to  "bookmarks toolbar".  Netscape had this feature last yr but the browser continually crashed. 

Also, I like the way Firefox handles plugins and downloads. 

You can enable Yahoo's functions in the display at the top part of your browser or use the pull down menu.   "My yahoo" controls are accessible in one click at the top of the browser.  You can adjust these settings by accessing the "yahoo" pull down and tweak the options.  Very, Very convienent. 

DayTrader

Offline papi

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 01:12:55 PM »
DT, are you running Vista? I can't seem to get my screensaver to work. i think it is because i have programs running like messanger. suggestions? will it burn out my LCD if i don't run a screen saver?

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 01:43:10 PM »
will it burn out my LCD if i don't run a screen saver?

...not if it's a Acer!  LOL

Just got a new Gateway laptop (Media Center edition, whew!) , they, by far, have the best laptop monitors in the World IMO.  Toshiba is next, Acer third, HP towards the bottom, IMO. 

....seriously, I'm going to put off having a Vista machine as long as possible; I'll probably get glued for it on the next laptop I buy, however.  Your laptop is new, so tech support should be able to help you for the first 60 days of warranty, after that, most warranties don't cover software questions. 

>> I would start by putting your mouse in a blank spot of your desktop, and right click.  This will bring up a menu, and keep drilling down.  The other angle is  START > CONTROL PANEL > Display, themes or whatever.  Microsoft has made this needlessly complex, of course.  <<

I read where one guy wanted to change the time and date on Vista and he needed a $300 an hour lawyer, a court order and had to tip the clerk to get a court date!  Vista takes the simple things of XP and unnecessarily makes them complex, from what I hear.  Another glittering jewel of inefficient American biz models.  All this is done only to protect software rights to movies, DVD's and pc software.  Microsoft controls your computer via Vista and can erase and remove any software you load that it thinks is pirated or beyond it's license period. 

DayTrader

Offline papi

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 02:12:43 PM »
yes, but having at my desktop gadgets telling me the time, date, outside valley temp of 77 Fahrenheit and a current 2228 peso is priceless. seriously, it does have it bugs

Offline papi

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:41:23 PM »
hp texted me today that vista was rushed to market. it is slick but wait until they get the bugs worked out before buying a pc now (to cam with your hotties of course keeping this on topic)

Offline papi

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 05:41:13 PM »
turns out the screen saver issue was not a vista bug after all. Finally figured out with tech support that it had to do with having a wireless mouse. Makes sense as it is communicating with the USB causing the screen saver to fail. Can happen in XP too. Critical to have a password protected screen saver with chicas in the casa....and his and hers PC's  ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 05:41:13 PM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats