It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: The plan after 50.  (Read 8442 times)

Offline JWR

• Divorced after a 10 year marriage to a Colombiana
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
The plan after 50.
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
A few good, the bad and the ugly ramblings.

I just had my 54th birthday and there's been some self reflection going on.
The one thing that hasn't changed is my taste for younger, beautiful girls.

So what plan does a guy develop after 50 to continue to enjoy himself with girls that he is attracted to.

As most of you guys know, I was married to a Calena for 11 years that I met at Margareth's agency years ago.  The marriage split for various reasons including me just not enjoying her company as much over the years, and her developing more "male" traits which finally lead to, her butching her hair and running off with a girlfriend after she moved out.  In the end, happy to see her go after the standard sufferings of any divorce.

So what's next after a guy has had the taste of pretty girls from other countries?  I lived in Colombia for a while with my wife as well as we had a sailing business in Costa Rica.  I've been outside the country enough to know what is available.

After my divorce, I've continue to hang onto the idea of getting married again.  I've traveled to the Philippines twice meeting a couple girls to change it up a bit.  Nothing there strong enough to consider the risk of marriage. 

Also after my divorce, I went and lived in Barranquilla for a while to explore new options there.  Didn't meet anyone there that I fell for enough to jump again. 

Slowly I'm letting go of marrying again, and exposing myself to that sort of financial risks.

Recently went through a bout of serious Pneumonia, so the reality of being totally alone in the world with only superficial relationships is sobering.

So what does a 54 year old guy do these days?  What are the options?  The last few years, I've been dating some pretty college girls in Tijuana, and making some tuition contributions.  Superficial of course but super fun.  Far far less expensive then being married with much fewer complications.

I've lived outside the country enough to know that I only like to be abroad for about 6 months out of the year.  I have a good life here in San Diego, and I still enjoy working in my sailing business.

So I've been thinking of setting up a life that splits the year in half between Colombia and San Diego.  The visa situation is also less complicated spending 6 months in Colombia.

Since I like to sail, I thought I would put a nice 6-8 passenger sailing catamaran on Lago Calima near Cali, and just hang out there in the winter when my sailing business is slow here in San Diego.  Also even considered doing some 90 minute day sailing charters taking the rich Colombians out sailing there on Lago Calima.  I don't need the money, but after doing the same business for 30 years in San Diego,I know it's a great way to meet lots and lots of people (girls) that you would never meet just hanging out.  Doing some sailing charters would put loads of pretty girls on my catamaran.  The lake is perfect with warm, strong breezes, and a nice secure facility to keep the boat parked when I'm not there.

There are no other catamarans like this on the lake, and I have a small fear that this activity might draw unwanted attention to myself, and get me kidnapped or bonked on the head.  My ex calena wife was very into keeping a low profile.....  but things are changing in Colombia, and I'm hoping getting safer.  I would hire a Colombiana, or Colombiano to help with the little business, and put a Colombian face on the business.

I already have enough retirement income, I could live in Colombia full time, but for me, the place gets stale after a while, and I want to come back up here to San Diego.

Interested in hearing anyone elses plans, and perspectives.  After 50 the options for something real get slimmer by the year.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:14:50 PM by JWR »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: The plan after 50.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:57:39 PM »

So what plan does a guy develop after 50 to continue to enjoy himself with girls that he is attracted to.

As most of you guys know, I was married to a Calena for 11 years that I met at Margareth's agency years ago.  The marriage split for various reasons including me just not enjoying her company as much over the years, and her developing more "male" traits which finally lead to, her butching her hair and running off with a girlfriend after she moved out.  In the end, happy to see her go after the standard sufferings of any divorce.

So what's next after a guy has had the taste of pretty girls from other countries?  I lived in Colombia for a while with my wife as well as we had a sailing business in Costa Rica.  I've been outside the country enough to know what is available.

After my divorce, I've continue to hang onto the idea of getting married again.  I've traveled to the Philippines twice meeting a couple girls to change it up a bit.  Nothing there strong enough to consider the risk of marriage. 

Also after my divorce, I went and lived in Barranquilla for a while to explore new options there.  Didn't meet anyone there that I fell for enough to jump again. 

Slowly I'm letting go of marrying again, and exposing myself to that sort of financial risks.

Recently went through a bout of serious Pneumonia, so the reality of being totally alone in the world with only superficial relationships is sobering.

So what does a 54 year old guy do these days?  What are the options?  The last few years, I've been dating some pretty college girls in Tijuana, and making some tuition contributions.  Superficial of course but super fun.  Far far less expensive then being married with much fewer complications.

I've lived outside the country enough to know that I only like to be abroad for about 6 months out of the year.  I have a good life here in San Diego, and I still enjoy working in my sailing business.

So I've been thinking of setting up a life that splits the year in half between Colombia and San Diego.  The visa situation is also less complicated spending 6 months in Colombia.

Since I like to sail, I thought I would put a nice 6-8 passenger sailing catamaran on Lago Calima near Cali, and just hang out there in the winter when my sailing business is slow here in San Diego.  Also even considered doing some 90 minute day sailing charters taking the rich Colombians out sailing there on Lago Calima.  I don't need the money, but after doing the same business for 30 years in San Diego,I know it's a great way to meet lots and lots of people (girls) that you would never meet just hanging out.  Doing some sailing charters would put loads of pretty girls on my catamaran.  The lake is perfect with warm, strong breezes, and a nice secure facility to keep the boat parked when I'm not there.

There are no other catamarans like this on the lake, and I have a small fear that this activity might draw unwanted attention to myself, and get me kidnapped or bonked on the head.  My ex calena wife was very into keeping a low profile.....  but things are changing in Colombia, and I'm hoping getting safer.  I would hire a Colombiana, or Colombiano to help with the little business, and put a Colombian face on the business.

I already have enough retirement income, I could live in Colombia full time, but for me, the place gets stale after a while, and I want to come back up here to San Diego.

Interested in hearing anyone elses plans, and perspectives.  After 50 the options for something real get slimmer by the year.
I think half (half year)expat is the way to go. However, i do think security concerns are real. We stand out in Colombia and it's important to have people looking out for you. That's where a stable relationship with a girl whose family will look out for you is critical. Just my 2 cents....

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
sounds like me lol, half time in colombia, half time in san diego.

but i agree, you need to keep a low profile, even now. as  friends here have said many times " somebody here is always watching you"

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »
I think half (half year)expat is the way to go. However, i do think security concerns are real. We stand out in Colombia and it's important to have people looking out for you. That's where a stable relationship with a girl whose family will look out for you is critical. Just my 2 cents....

I agree. It may look "muy tranquilo" but there is always something going on. A gringo with no one watching out for him is doomed eventually. A Colombian family, especially a family with connections to guys with automatic weapons, is a good thing to have in your corner.

Offline buencamino3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
If you are going to take tourists out on Lago Calima in a watercraft I'm sure you will have to get an appropriate business license and meet other requirements but perhaps you've already looked into that. I honestly think the plan is a big money loser but if it is an enjoyable hobby for you and you can afford it then no matter. The lake is popular for windsurfing and the inflated banana boat rides but I don't see "rich" Colombians caring to sail around the lake in anything expensive. It's very windy and usually gloomy from cloud cover and no good at all for swimming. My experience is that caleños drive up on weekends mostly to party. Maybe if the rum was free flowing on your boat that would be a draw. Also you talk about getting bored in Cali so what on earth do you think you'll do in Darien??? or Restrepo across the highway. I'm surprised you're not thinking about one of the coasts unless you really want to be near Cali. However I agree wholeheartedly that if you hope to come to live in Colombia it is obligatory that you can follow some hobby or activity that you have greatly enjoyed doing stateside. Otherwise you will get very bored indeed. I have lived in or near Cali full time since 2002 and haven't regretted it a single day. Wherever you go and what ever you do in Colombia there will be far more pretty young girls available than you could possibly hope to access in the US.
Hermosamente feliz

Offline JWR

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 06:15:37 PM »
Thanks Camino for the input.

You’re right I might also get bored in Darien unless I met someone fun to hang out with.
When I lived in Cali, I used to go to Lago Calima to windsurf.  Since I live in the city, the countryside is a nice change out there. 

Was thinking of putting a 26’ catamaran on the lake to enjoy myself so no extra business investment really to do some sailing charters. In my sailing business in Costa Rica we took about 4000 people a year from all over the world. I actually had quite a few Colombian people on my boat in Costa Rica.  It wouldn’t be too expensive for a ride, and I’m pretty sure they would want to sail on it.   Like I said I don’t need to make money, it just gives me a reason to get up in the morning and do something interesting.  The adventure also includes sailing the boat down to South America from California......

I’ve considered Cartegena but honestly it’s too freaking hot down there.   When I was living in Barranquilla I felt like I was a prisoner in my air-conditioned apartment.  I love the cooler climate around Cali, it’s the perfect temperature.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »

Awesome plan whatever "business/hobby" you decide to pursue in Colombia. I wish I was similarly situated where I could contemplate 6 months a year in Colombia. My only hope would be carving out a niche within the firm I work for in South America somewhere. Hard to do without fluency in Spanish.

But your plan sounds great....you are obviously an adventurous soul. Perhaps one day you'll find a nice Latin lady to accompany you on one of those sailing trips between San Diego and Colombia.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:39:33 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »

I plan on having a baby with my colombian girlfriend at the ripe old age of 56.
Living in Medellin the majority of the time and living like a relatively rich Colombiano.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »

First thing I would do is out the Stupid idea of Marriage out of your freakin head.

After that its clear sailing

Offline JWR

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 01:58:14 PM »
First thing I would do is out the Stupid idea of Marriage out of your freakin head.

After that its clear sailing

That is probably the best advice I’ve gotten in a long time!

Thank you.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
Sailing a 26 foot catamaran from SD to south of the equator sounds gnarley enough, then getting it inland to Cali is another logistical trick! Wild n wooly for sure!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline JWR

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 03:56:13 PM »
Sailing a 26 foot catamaran from SD to south of the equator sounds gnarley enough, then getting it inland to Cali is another logistical trick! Wild n wooly for sure!

Dealing with drunk bachelorette parties all summer long in San Diego is the real challenge.....those crazy girls trying to jump off my boats drunk and drown themselves!  Sailing my little catamaran down the coast cervesa by cervesa easy trick.  Getting the boat trailered inland shouldn’t be too much hassle.   Nothing some pesos won’t solve.  Also instead considering getting another bigger catamaran and slipping her in Cartegena.  [size=78%]There would have to be a little AC unit installed for hanging out in that hot climate.[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 07:42:53 PM »
My plan after 50? I'm planning on quitting my job indefinitely this spring. My wife wants to keep working and has earned a  month or more of paid vacation each year and that will increase, so we'll still get some great vacations in together. But her career, her income, is just really starting to take off. We can make it on my retirement alone, but her income, now and from her investing, will be like an extra, like a pure silk extra lining. Gravy. Ten or so years down the line and I decide to collect Social Security and then we're both on 'permanent vacation.'

When I kick the bucket once and for all, (Lord knows I've been reckless and come close a few times already) she's guaranteed at least half of my retirements, my so called estate, (which have their own 'protections' plus a minimum 3% COLA as long as she's alive and we're together), so as the age difference inevitably becomes more apparent, hopefully love AND money will work postively. Maybe I've got 30 more years, she's probably got 50 or 60. She exercises, eats right, has never smoked anything, never had more than one drink, loathes taking even an aspirin, never mind 'drugs'.

There's a whole nother thread topic in it's own right in what I wrote above--- something like "Wife from 3rd world nation, with education, climbing up the socio-economic scale in the USA, the ups and possible downs therein." A few of us here have seen what it's like when their spouse,  GF begins to make enough money and can, with confidence, make it on her own. And usually, like me, a guy with a exotic, lovely wife that's a lot younger, a guy who's not getting any younger, in such a scenario, you almost need a third eye. And maybe a good laywer. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid. Nothing is forever.

But the wife actually has encouraged me to ditch my viper pit job, just saying I ought to try and hit the gym a few mornings a week, then maybe try and join her at Yoga once or twice a week. Very smart, as you get into your fifties and beyond, what your Dr. has probably been (or should have been)  telling you, namely  "Use it or lose it" is all too true. No vegging out. Maybe I'll learn how to use the vacuum cleaner and dishwasher too, LOL.

I already know the recipes for making ice cubes and boiling water.

Not that I ever planned much of anything else in my whole life, but regardless of age, I think it's important that you're thinking along these lines, that you and your wife, or maybe your serious GF or fiance', that they're totally 'in' on the retiring, the 'quitting the rat race' deal, as it's a life changer. I told my sons too--and that I'm not gonna be their ATM like before. No '6 year college plans' on my dime.

I feel like I'm 15 y/o again, back in Michigan, seeing a tough winter, but knowing spring's not far off and summer vacation not far after that--GREAT.

My wife's almost more excited than me about it all, amazingly.

Hell, part of me just wants to hop in the car alone and take a meandering path across the nation, out from our Atlantic Ocean digs, to the west coast,  which I can do when my wife goes back home for a few weeks this summer,  but part of the fun is not having to worry, not really planning too much.

Sort of a heady feeling, good to know it's financially possible, a bit odd that other than planning trips around the globe 2 or 3 times a year,  that I have no real schedule. Well, my wife HAS said she wants me in bed asleep the same time as her--elevenish, as she can't sleep without me, but that's not TOO bad, I guess!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 07:42:53 PM »

Offline DRGUY1

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »

This is a good topic JWR...I spend a lot of time thinking about this very topic myself. I'm a few years younger than you, but I plan to retire early in about 3-4 years at around 52 and I share your thoughts on it.

At our age, I think it's makes the most sense to stay single and re-locate to another country to live a cheaper life and enjoy the local ladies, even if its just 6 months on and 6 months back.

If your younger in your 30's or early 40's, maybe not, but for us it makes the most sense. I've started to reset how I view retirement, as that word is so sedentary, so now I refer to it as not retiring, but beginning the adventure and travel. You just need to find the right spot that hits all the buttons for retirement part time, weather, safety, lifestyle quality, and of course friendly ladies. I think the business idea could work out well, but it won't be easy.---It may be better keeping your business up and running here for 6 months and just vacationing for the other 6 months....Then you'd earn at our standard of living and more importantly, you'd have more flexibility on where to spend you off season.

I don't think your options are getting slimmer after 50, actually I think they get better. You can relocate freely, and live on a good standard in another country. I also like the 35+ Latina...they are more settled and less hassle, and at they are in your wheel house at 54...Great time to be 50+  8)

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »
Take care doctor guy. Some of the girls over 35 are actually worse, just more astute cuz they have more experience in manipulating guys

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »
Take care doctor guy. Some of the girls over 35 are actually worse, just more astute cuz they have more experience in manipulating guys

I'm sure a lot of the 35 y/o plus women are trouble,  that a lot of them are burnt, bitter and spent. But it all depends on where you're fishing, knowing what you're fishing for and how you do it. High grade 'keepers' are hard to find sometimes, but if you have the time, the mind, the means and a method, it's possible almost anywhere to find them IF you know what you're looking for.

Yes, they're a relatively small percentage of the female population, but prizes---'trophies' if you will, don't just grow on trees....

Offline vikingo

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »
Before I would make plans putting a catamaran on Lake Calima I would come down here and see if I can get a business license, if it's even allowed to moor anything that size permanently on the lake.
I would also try to make arrangements and nail down the cost for a truck with flatbed trailer from Buenaventura to Lake Calima. I would check out secure facilities in Buenaventura as it is not very safe there and it would be risky to leave the craft out of sight before the truck arrives which may not be the same or next day if he is on the road to somewhere and taking into consideration how unreliable these people are.
Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:46:25 PM »
Before I would make plans putting a catamaran on Lake Calima I would come down here and see if I can get a business license, if it's even allowed to moor anything that size permanently on the lake.
I would also try to make arrangements and nail down the cost for a truck with flatbed trailer from Buenaventura to Lake Calima. I would check out secure facilities in Buenaventura as it is not very safe there and it would be risky to leave the craft out of sight before the truck arrives which may not be the same or next day if he is on the road to somewhere and taking into consideration how unreliable these people are.

Sounds like the old saying:
 "The devil's in the details"

Offline Thebatman

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »
I wish I was 50. LOL. Now over 60, did LAI a few times, engaged once to a Bogota girl, it ended, so, never married. My brother just got divorced after 20 yrs. so I guess I dodged a bullet. I don't know....still make trips to Central America. No more Colombia for me, too dangerous. Don't want to get married.

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 06:41:28 PM »
No kidding so what's in Central America?
Hermosamente feliz

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 05:33:35 AM »
No kidding so what's in Central America?

Pretty funny..Honduras , El Salvador and Guatemala (or even Costa Rica) more dangerous than Colombia?

What a joke..guy sounds pretty ignorant

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 05:36:52 AM »
I'm sure a lot of the 35 y/o plus women are trouble,  that a lot of them are burnt, bitter and spent. But it all depends on where you're fishing, knowing what you're fishing for and how you do it. High grade 'keepers' are hard to find sometimes, but if you have the time, the mind, the means and a method, it's possible almost anywhere to find them IF you know what you're looking for.

Yes, they're a relatively small percentage of the female population, but prizes---'trophies' if you will, don't just grow on trees....

Actually , they are a pretty high percentage, but not the usual "8, 9 or 10s" (based on personal preference)  most guys are looking for

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »

Pretty funny..Honduras , El Salvador and Guatemala (or even Costa Rica) more dangerous than Colombia?

I think that while they say it's improving, that Honduras is the riskiest. New Orleans LA, Jackson, MS, Savannah, GA and St. Louis, MO, all have areas that are incredibly violent and give those cities (some successfully manage to 'blur" the numbers) overall violent crime rates probably close to S. &  C. America's worst.

And while the USA has far and away the largest percentage of it's population in prisons of any country on earth, the prisons are often like training schools for criminal activity. Even then, for a lot of people imprisoned in the USA, it's certainly not their 1st time in the pokey...

The privatization of prison construction, meals, concessions etc.,and afterwards, for probation, is often run as very much 'for profit '  enterprise, handed to retired corrections sector employees and to other well connected, retired govt. employees.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 06:04:52 PM »

I think I know what’s going on with you
Too much Colombian TV
https://www.caracoltv.com/programas/series/tuvozestereo

They say the stories are real but all the stories on tu voz estéreo are made up jajaja
Don’t believe any of it

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »

No, he is not ignorant. But you might want to get up to speed on the good and the bad of Central America.

Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama all have lower crime rates than Colombia. If you don't believe me see the link below with homicide rate by country. All three (Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama) are also worth a visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

I know some argue Panama is not part of Central America (used to be part of Colombia, etc.) but close enough for me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:16:51 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864