Forum > Asian -> General Discussion

Tribute to Eric - "Windmill Boy"

(1/6) > >>

Jeff S:
I just received a note from Bob S, passed on from Kathryn, Eric's wife, that he lost his battle with lymphatic cancer. He had been in chemotherapy since March. I'm not sure how old he was but he was quite young, I think in his mid to late 30s.

I met Eric here on PL a number of years back. He was a pastry chef at the Four Seasons resort in Santa Barbara. He came to my home on several occasions, and we got together several times at parties and restuarants. Eric was a big, gentle, soft spoken, "teddy bear" kind of guy who was generous, friendly and a joy to be around. Every time he visited he brought thoughtful gifts and always some home made treats. As you can probably imagine, he was a real pro when it came to desserts.

You can read of Eric's search here in the archives, under the moniker "Windmill Boy" because he used to make enormous confection windmills as centerpieces to the dessert buffet at the Four Seasons. He was of Dutch extraction. My wife and I stopped in for Sunday Brunch there to see his creations a few years back, when we were passing through Santa Barbara, and I can tell you they were amazing.

Eric married a Chinese lady named Kathryn, and moved back to New York to be close to his family and save up for when his bride came. I missed meeting her when she moved to the US from China as she passed through LA, (Eric flew out here to meet her) because it happened to fall during a previously planned vacation.

Deepest condolences to his family and bride. I am saddened to have lost a friend.

- Jeff

tessbrittain:
Hi Jeff,

Stephen told me about Eric's passing when I called him at the office this morning...I was shocked!! He was very nice and I love those cookies he gave me...He looked so healthy and all, i just can't believe it....As the saying goes....Life is short, enjoy every minute of it!!!!

I am getting ready to head home to the Philippines in a month...But I hope we can get together before I leave..Just give Stephen a call so we can set a date...give my regards to Mariko..

Tess :(

Jeff S:
I'm always up for dimsum Tess. Haven't seen you guys for months. Maybe William 3 will join us this time.

sean126:
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  My prayers go out to his family and friends.

william3rd:
My condolences as to the loss of your compadre.

As for dimsum- get out your calendar. I have been meaning to call you about setting a date for lunch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version