It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: New gringo here. Hi, all.  (Read 5344 times)

Offline Isthis4me

• Howdy, all.
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
New gringo here. Hi, all.
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
Hello everyone. I thought that i would say hi, and thank you all for the information that I have read, so far, in these forums.

Now for the intro. I am a white man, north of 40, who has never been married, has no kids, and is on the wrong side of being rich. From the time I graduated high school, I was a caretaker for my grandmother. While I did date, I was never very good at it - too shy. Plus, I honestly could not get totally wrapped up in a woman, when I had to balance time with them and the time my grandmother needed.

Now don't get me wrong. I loved being a caretaker for my grandmother, who became my mom when she adopted me at 13. I would not go back and change a thing.

She has been gone now, for four years, and I feel that it is time for me to start trying to find someone that I can spend time with. I am burned out on gringas and their 'All about me- I'm a princess and deserve the finest things' mentality. Have I mentioned that I'm not rich? Lol!

I have always been attracted to latinas. Their was this one time, in my 20's, where I was engaged to one. However, she was born in the states and never spent any time south of the border, so I don't think she really was a good representative of what a latina is.

So now, I am thinking about taking a tour, from Jamie's agency, to meet some of the women from Colombia. I want to use an agency because I've rarely been out of my home state, and I've never been out of the country. Therefore, an agency sounds like a pretty safe bet for me, as opposed to going down there by myself and not having anyone to help watch out for me. Plus, I don't speak spanish so I would definitely need a translator.

I am not going down there expecting to find a wife in my first trip. I know that I most likely will be "smitten" quickly, but I am going to try to think with the upstairs brain. I've read too many accounts, online, of people who married foreigners and brought them to the states, only to see it fall apart with disastrous consequences. That is another reason why I plan on using an agency.

My plan, if it works out, is to take a 'Romance Tour' and meet some women who I can communicate with, when back in the states. I want to take my time and get to know them, with more trips in the future, when I can.

I'm gonna try to not let the little head do the thinking. I've had relationships built solely on sex. While they've been fun, when they crash, they crash hard and ugly.

I am sorry for the long- winded post, but I wanted to say all of this so all would know a bit about me, and what my plans are. If anyone has any advice, then please feel free to share.

Gotta go now. The cat has decided that she wants me off the phone. Until next time, Adios.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new. - Socrates

Offline Wildstubby

Re: New gringo here. Hi, all.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
Isthis4me said:
Hello everyone. I thought that i would say hi, and thank you all for the information that I have read, so far, in these forums.

Now for the intro. I am a white man, north of 40, who has never been married, has no kids, and is on the wrong side of being rich. From the time I graduated high school, I was a caretaker for my grandmother. While I did date, I was never very good at it - too shy. Plus, I honestly could not get totally wrapped up in a woman, when I had to balance time with them and the time my grandmother needed.

Now don't get me wrong. I loved being a caretaker for my grandmother, who became my mom when she adopted me at 13. I would not go back and change a thing.

She has been gone now, for four years, and I feel that it is time for me to start trying to find someone that I can spend time with. I am burned out on gringas and their 'All about me- I'm a princess and deserve the finest things' mentality. Have I mentioned that I'm not rich? Lol!

I have always been attracted to latinas. Their was this one time, in my 20's, where I was engaged to one. However, she was born in the states and never spent any time south of the border, so I don't think she really was a good representative of what a latina is.

So now, I am thinking about taking a tour, from Jamie's agency, to meet some of the women from Colombia. I want to use an agency because I've rarely been out of my home state, and I've never been out of the country. Therefore, an agency sounds like a pretty safe bet for me, as opposed to going down there by myself and not having anyone to help watch out for me. Plus, I don't speak spanish so I would definitely need a translator.

I am not going down there expecting to find a wife in my first trip. I know that I most likely will be "smitten" quickly, but I am going to try to think with the upstairs brain. I've read too many accounts, online, of people who married foreigners and brought them to the states, only to see it fall apart with disastrous consequences. That is another reason why I plan on using an agency.

My plan, if it works out, is to take a 'Romance Tour' and meet some women who I can communicate with, when back in the states. I want to take my time and get to know them, with more trips in the future, when I can.

I'm gonna try to not let the little head do the thinking. I've had relationships built solely on sex. While they've been fun, when they crash, they crash hard and ugly.

I am sorry for the long- winded post, but I wanted to say all of this so all would know a bit about me, and what my plans are. If anyone has any advice, then please feel free to share.

Gotta go now. The cat has decided that she wants me off the phone. Until next time, Adios.
Well first off, welcome!  Second be advised that if you have questions and you post them here, you will probably get about a hundred different answers, but not saying they are all bad. Just many opinions.
Third, you have something in common with many women from Colombia in that they were raised by a grandparent. So you have more of an advantage than most.Fourth, good luck with your endeavors on your first trip there. It certainly not "Kansas anymore Toto", so be careful. Make sure you tell us all about your accomplishments and your failures. That way others can learn from your experience!

Offline Isthis4me

• Howdy, all.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »
Thank you, Wildstubby. I'll keep you all informed.  8)
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new. - Socrates

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:24:44 AM »

Welcome aboard. We've had a number of guys with modest income 'make' it happen. Even with the cost of travel and the USCIS Immigation paperwork fees going up, guys are still going to S.America, Asia and elsewhere.

While taking your time, don't be  one of those guys who takes forever to 'get on the plane'---it was too easy for me to remain comfy at home, chatting and webcamming online, before I just up and did it.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Isthis4me

• Howdy, all.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
Thanks, robert. Hopefully, I'm planning on taking my first trip either later this year, or next.  I've got to get 'mi pasaporte' and will probably use my money that our 'greedy uncle' decides that I can have back in a couple of months, for the trip.

Right now, I'm using duolingo to learn a little spanish, but will probably end up trying to find at least a Spanish 1 class at a tech school. Not sure how good duolingo is, even though it's fun.

Funny thing, I just joined LAC and before I could get pics or a profile up, I already had 4 messages.

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »
Isthis4me said:
Thanks, robert. Hopefully, I'm planning on taking my first trip either later this year, or next.  I've got to get 'mi pasaporte' and will probably use my money that our 'greedy uncle' decides that I can have back in a couple of months, for the trip.

Right now, I'm using duolingo to learn a little spanish, but will probably end up trying to find at least a Spanish 1 class at a tech school. Not sure how good duolingo is, even though it's fun.

Funny thing, I just joined LAC and before I could get pics or a profile up, I already had 4 messages.
A couple things. When I first went to Colombia, my Spanish was limited to what I had learned in 6th grade and several visits to Spain. I don't know if you have an Iphone or not. I have a moto and used and continue to use Google Translate regularly! Download the language into your cellphone so that you can translate, (somewhat) when you don't have Wifi or interenet. It really comes in handy when filling out those customs forms, (use your camera and it will translate what is on the paper for you!). I think Jamie's agency has translators so just relax and take everything in. I was told it was not a final exam. So play it like that! I would listen to Jamie's advice should he give it to you. I chatted with him once and he seems to be up on things. Disclaimer: I never used his services!
LAC like Colombian Cupid has it share of scammers. They do a pretty good job of weeding them out but some get by. If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is! Most women from Colombia have Whatsapp so don't be surprised if they want a video chat on that medium. Some are just as weary as you. Remember that the only stupid question is the one that is never asked! Don't be afraid to look for advice, especially here!Re: Passport- Do yourself a favor and opt for the card. It is only $10 more and it will get you entry driving from Mexico or Canada to the US and Puerto Rico via boat, (I don't think it will cover entry via air). If you don't like lines, look at Global Entry. Its a nice way to get through customs and beat the lines. Also you get the regular TSA entry, (not like the full cavity search).

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »
Isthis4me said:A couple things. When I first went to Colombia, my Spanish was limited to what I had learned in 6th grade and several visits to Spain. I don't know if you have an Iphone or not. I have a moto and used and continue to use Google Translate regularly! Download the language into your cellphone so that you can translate, (somewhat) when you don't have Wifi or interenet. It really comes in handy when filling out those customs forms, (use your camera and it will translate what is on the paper for you!). I think Jamie's agency has translators so just relax and take everything in. I was told it was not a final exam. So play it like that! I would listen to Jamie's advice should he give it to you. I chatted with him once and he seems to be up on things. Disclaimer: I never used his services!
LAC like Colombian Cupid has it share of scammers. They do a pretty good job of weeding them out but some get by. If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is! Most women from Colombia have Whatsapp so don't be surprised if they want a video chat on that medium. Some are just as weary as you. Remember that the only stupid question is the one that is never asked! Don't be afraid to look for advice, especially here!Re: Passport- Do yourself a favor and opt for the card. It is only $10 more and it will get you entry driving from Mexico or Canada to the US and Puerto Rico via boat, (I don't think it will cover entry via air). If you don't like lines, look at Global Entry. Its a nice way to get through customs and beat the lines. Also you get the regular TSA entry, (not like the full cavity search).

As for using Google Translate, isn't paying to bring your USA celluar service down there pretty expensive? How's coverage (signal) generally? WIFI availability?

Offline ag1987

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »
I am heading to Jamie's agency on Thursday and will be down there for a couple weeks. He has been super helpful so far and, based on being in business for so long, really has a good process down. Many posters here are veterans and have been very willing to offer advice on their "been there, done that" experience. Everyone has their opinion, but I think the agency is not a bad option due to limited time to be down there. If I was able to work remotely and live there for months, I doubt I would look at an agency as an option. I've promised many a trip report following my visit and will do that shortly after my return.

Offline ag1987

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 03:06:03 PM »
As for using Google Translate, isn't paying to bring your USA celluar service down there pretty expensive? How's coverage (signal) generally? WIFI availability?

One option is T-Mobile - they have a plan for + $15/mo to get unlimited data in over 100 countries (I can't remember the number but Colombia is one of them). Just connect to the local provider (Claro?) and use apps that use data. A regular phone call to the states is like 20c/min but calls via FaceTime, FaceTime Audio, WhatsApp, Viber, etc. are in that unlimited data.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 03:25:56 PM »
I am heading to Jamie's agency on Thursday and will be down there for a couple weeks. He has been super helpful so far and, based on being in business for so long, really has a good process down. Many posters here are veterans and have been very willing to offer advice on their "been there, done that" experience. Everyone has their opinion, but I think the agency is not a bad option due to limited time to be down there. If I was able to work remotely and live there for months, I doubt I would look at an agency as an option. I've promised many a trip report following my visit and will do that shortly after my return.

FWI, Let Jamie know that the riff raff, the flies and ticks that trolled here unabated, are gone, that his reputation stands for itself and he's not only welcome here, but it'd probably be good for business.

Offline Isthis4me

• Howdy, all.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. I didn't know about google translate but it's on my phone now. I'll look into the passport card and global entry as soon as I get a copy of my birth certificate. The original was eaten by the clutter monster and who knows if I'll ever see it again. >:(

Ps, have fun, ag1987, and please let us know how it all went...

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »
Robert angel said:
I have Verizon and their international plan is unlimited data and voice at $10/day. However, I put my phone in airplane mode and use only Wifi. Damn near every hotel and most restaurants have Wifi. But if you download the language, you can do most translations without anything, (about 80% accuracy). That's why I said use it for filling out your customs form, which is always in Spanish, using the integrated translator with the camera and you can determine what they are asking.
Like I said previously, Jamie seemed like a square guy to me. I probably would have used his services had I known of him. But (I hope) I won't have to revert to any services like that anymore.
ag1987: Post when you get down there if you are able! Nothing better I like doing is rooting for the 'home team!' Even some pitfalls, if you should make them are good experiences for the next guy coming, (that is if you can withstand the ever present criticism that is always here!). PS: Keep your cell phone in your pocket when you are out and about!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:48:13 PM by Wildstubby »

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 04:52:05 PM »
Robert angel, I don't like using the Verizon plan down there. But it works in a pinch. Most people I know will purchase a SIM card there and buy off of Claro, Tigo, or Moviestar. I think ag1987's plan with T-Mobile is the hit. If I had some access for them, I would forgo my current Verizon Wireless plan for them. However, VW has been pretty good to me!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 04:52:05 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
Robert angel, I don't like using the Verizon plan down there. But it works in a pinch. Most people I know will purchase a SIM card there and buy off of Claro, Tigo, or Moviestar. I think ag1987's plan with T-Mobile is the hit. If I had some access for them, I would forgo my current Verizon Wireless plan for them. However, VW has been pretty good to me!

I've been with verizon,  "the big red pig" for too long. Between paying thru the nose for verizon and disappointing samsung 'flagship' phones, I'm about done. But where we are located, I'm afraid they're like how Winston Churchill supposedly descibed the USA's form of govt.:

'The worst, except for all the others'
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:32:03 PM by robert angel »

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 05:37:31 PM »
Robert angel, not to hijack the thread but my moto is a POS! I'll take a Samsung, which my son has been using over the Moto any day of the week!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
Robert angel, not to hijack the thread but my moto is a POS! I'll take a Samsung, which my son has been using over the Moto any day of the week!

From what I've heard, Jamie's translator is not only good for the obvious,  but also gives insights into nuances and things suggesting incompatibility that a client might otherwise miss. That said, if planning on using Google translate, making sure the equipment set up is good to go, is wise.

Most of the world uses GSM phone technology, but verizon and 1 or 2 other big players use CDMA. At least most verizon phones use dual sim setups, which can come in handy.

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 04:16:40 AM »
Back to the intent of the thread. It is important for these new fellows to feel confidant and at ease when trying to look into a good relationship. Jaime's service acts as sort of a psuedo 'wing-man', which can make a difference in how you feel and act. I remember the days leading up to my first visit to Colombia. I was solo from day one and extremely apprehensive! It was the first time I was in another country in over 35 years and the first time I passionately kissed another woman in 27 years! Lets not forget the 6 years I was imposed in celibacy due to my faith in the marital oath, (the ex didn't give it up!)! Just be forewarned that it will be easy to be labeled as a 'typical gringo' skin hound. And easier still to fall into that genre. But you have a very good chance of walking out of there with a woman who will be dedicated to you and make other snap their necks as you and her walk by!

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
Back to the intent of the thread. It is important for these new fellows to feel confidant and at ease when trying to look into a good relationship. Jaime's service acts as sort of a psuedo 'wing-man', which can make a difference in how you feel and act. I remember the days leading up to my first visit to Colombia. I was solo from day one and extremely apprehensive! It was the first time I was in another country in over 35 years and the first time I passionately kissed another woman in 27 years! Lets not forget the 6 years I was imposed in celibacy due to my faith in the marital oath, (the ex didn't give it up!)! Just be forewarned that it will be easy to be labeled as a 'typical gringo' skin hound. And easier still to fall into that genre. But you have a very good chance of walking out of there with a woman who will be dedicated to you and make other snap their necks as you and her walk by!
Given OPs lack of Spanish , Jaime's is a must...

Offline Isthis4me

• Howdy, all.
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »
Given OPs lack of Spanish , Jaime's is a must...

Yep. I'll most definitely be needing his help.  :'(

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 04:19:03 PM »
Yes, but don't sit on your laurels and do nothing. I spent some coin and got Rosetta Stone. Use what works for you so maybe you can read some basic stuff off the menus or things at the store. I'm not fluent enough for conversation but I learned enough to understand about 85% what I read.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »

Good luck with your endeavor. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Calipro

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »

Where was your father (figure) ?

I have noticed over the years that guys that were raised by their mothers are very easily manipulated by women. I think it is because they believe women love them as their mothers loved them and that women in general are good. And nothing could be further from the truth. No woman on this planet will love you like your mother or as much as you mother did.

Being burned out on gringas and not being able to afford one are two different things. My guess is you aren't attracting the women that you find attractive and you are heading south to find better options. Nothing wrong with that but it is better to be as truthful with yourself as possible.

The one question you have to ask yourself before heading down to Colombia looking for a wife....is why are you looking to get married?

There are basically two camps....the guys that are looking for a very attractive wife that they can bring to the U.S. so they can have regular sex with a hot chick while they work their way to retirement and guys that want to form a family and have children.

And from a Colombianas point of view....the only proper reason to marry is to form a family. If you hook up with a colombiana that says she doesn't want to have your babies then she most likely wants something that has nothing to do with love and long term commitment. So you better make sure her company is well worth the $$$ it will take to satisfy her.

There are two books that I would highly recommend that you read. The first one is about a pick up style and mind set that will serve you very well when dating Colombianas.

https://www.amazon.com/Models-Attract-Women-Through-Honesty/dp/1463750358

And the second book (called the rational male) will beat into your head the hypergamous nature of women which will help you avoid many pitfalls and help you hang on to  the women you end up attracting.

https://www.amazon.com/Rational-Male-Rollo-Tomassi/dp/1492777862/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547609377&sr=1-1&keywords=the+rational+male

Good luck!

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 04:16:40 AM »
Good stuff to read Calipro. However, I don't think I could make the changes without them being sincere. Maybe I should read them for an unbiased judgement. However, I consider my searching days are finished. Is it good material for 'after the dating period' is finished?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 04:16:40 AM »

Offline Isthis4me

• Howdy, all.
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 05:09:57 AM »
Thank you for the advice and your time,  Calipro.

My father figure was my uncle, and while I spent a lot of time around him, I was raised by my grandmother.

I've found out that no woman could ever love me as much as my grandmother. I would say not even my mother loved me as much. 'Mom' was a kid when she had me and left before I even started school.

As far as the gringas are concerned,  you're right. I haven't dated a whole lot of women,  but the women that i would have liked to date were not interested in me. I'm no athlete, and never was. Plus, most of them seemed like they wanted men who made more money than I ever will. The women that I did date,  I never felt the spark with them.  Most of my previous dates have either taken their anti-men aggression out on me, or they wanted me to be the only one working while they sat around and spent the money on themselves, and any other boyfriends that they had.

As to why I am looking for a wife,  I want to explore my options in Colombia. I always believed that I would find someone to marry, when the right one came along. Unfortunately,  while I was not looking, it seems that I got older. The dating scene here in the states has moved way beyond me, and our culture has changed so much that I barely recognize it anymore.

I don't believe that I can find a lady with traditional values here, anymore. I would like to find a woman who believes in traditional marriage, if that even exists now. I want a woman who will be my partner, and my equal, but will still let me be the man. I'm not looking for a boss, but at the same time I don't want a slave. 

I am looking for a woman who wants to form a family. However,  I'm not willing to overlook any red flags that might exist, to chase that dream.

I have the book 'The Rational Male' and I will read it soon.  I will look into getting the other book. Thanks again.

With all of the above being said,  I am not going down there with the assumption that I am going to find a wife immediately. I am going there to look and see what's available, and to possibly make a few connections that I can spend some time exploring. I realize that it will most likely be easy to fall in love immediately, or to get a sore neck from all of the 'sights', but I don't want to rush into anything without looking and paying for it later.

If nothing else happens, it will at least be a wonderful vacation filled,  hopefully,  with interesting experiences.

Thank you for your input as well,  Wildstubby. I'm of the mindset that I might try to sincerely make some changes, if warranted, based on the advice in the books because i know I'm far from perfect.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »
I was raised by an often absent pack of wolves. But I realized from the git go, that they were the 'alphas.'

From an early age on, I learned how to fend for, and how to provide for myself. No 'daddy' or 'mommy' issues.

I live a thousand miles away from my family and that only helps us get along better, when I do (rarely) head north. But I was, still kind of am, a royal PIA, when around them.

I am told that nonetheless, one day I'll inherit a pretty decent fortune, but I tell them all, "I hope you all outlive me--I'll be OK"

And I mean it.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300