It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Tribute To Hound Dog  (Read 26881 times)

Offline pan de bono

Tribute To Hound Dog
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:35:21 PM »
Does anyone know what ever happened to the poster Hound Dog?

Offline sean126

RE: Tribute To Hound Dog
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:24:31 PM »
I have wondered the same thing myself.  I thought he was funny.  I think it's been close to a year since he's posted though.

Offline pablo

• I don't have to show you any stinking badges!
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
I read today on another forum that Houndog died recently from cancer.  There were no other details provided.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »

Offline pan de bono

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 11:41:33 PM »
wow, is there a confirmation about his death? do you have any other details like what type of cancer he had and about when did he pass away?

Offline zack

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 08:51:35 AM »
I don't know Houndog personally but I know that he was very outspoken. He always spoke his mind. If he really had cancer I would expect him to say something about it here (based on his personality). If he were too weak to post he would probably have someone post for him.

I'm not saying the cancer story is false. But his refusal to post about it doesn't make sense to me considering who he was.

Zack
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:24:11 AM by zack »

Offline william3rd

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
People react to cancer in different ways. And it really isnt anybody's business but the guy who is fighting it.

Some dont want people to know until after the fight is over. And others go so quick that they never come to grips or get to say goodbye.

Condolences for the loss of a valued member. . . . .
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline zack

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:21:33 AM »
I know and agree but Houndog seemed like the type who would want to at least say "goodbye", but I could be wrong.

In any case, if it's true I'm sorry to hear about it and my condolences to his family.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:25:27 AM by zack »

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »
I talked with him on the phone 5, maybe 6 months ago, he didn't say anything about having cancer then. I got curious and called just now, both his home phone and his business phone are disconnected, his business web site is still up and running. Anybody knows for sure it will probably be JunFan, they were pretty close.

Offline junfan68

• Probie
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 01:25:34 PM »
I really haven't been close to John Vallandingham (Houndog) for several years since he and I got married around the same time.  I had a hard time with the way he handled his situation when it burned in.  But that's neither here nor there.

I got an email from my ex-wife telling me that John had in fact died of cancer about a month ago.  I guess she heard from his ex-wife, Luz Elena.  He told me years ago that he had it, but frankly alot of things he was saying at the time didn't add up so I didn't know what to think.

John was a pretty good guy all in all, but was very opinionated and rubbed alot of people the wrong way.  He smoked like a fiend and didn't look that healthy, but had over 25 years of sobriety from alcohol, and he helped me alot in that regard as I got sober over 5 years ago.  For that I am very grateful to him.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:27:43 PM by junfan68 »

Offline zack

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 03:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the info Junfan.

My thoughts about Houndog:

Among the old-time posters Houndog was one of the most prolific (before Pete's time). Although he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way he did contribute a lot to the PL forum and was very knowleged. I liked his sense of humor even though he crossed the line too much. The experiences that he shared at PL were helpful to many, including myself.

Rest in peace Houndog. My condolences to your family.

Zack

P.S. would it be against the rules for someone to post a picture of Houndog here?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 04:24:14 PM by zack »

Offline junfan68

• Probie
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 03:23:17 PM »
Here is a pic that has Houndog, myself and DCNupe in it...circa early 2001.

Offline pan de bono

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »
Thanks for the info and thanks for the pic. I never met hounddog, i assume he is the one with the lighter colored hair and eyeglasses?
Hounddog had some good spicey posts back in the days.
rest in peace hound dog.

Offline Parlay Rey

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »
rest in peace.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »

Offline Red Clay

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »
Houndog was always nice to me, maybe we just happened to never bump heads on many issues. Sorry to hear of his death, it makes me miss the old days of PL, those were exciting times to many of us who were newbies at that time.

Rest in Peace, 'Dog.

Offline sean126

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 06:01:41 PM »
 :( :( :(

Wow.....I really liked him.  I wasn't on here long before he quit coming here.  I considered myself part of the "dog pound".  He was so outspoken and controversal sometimes that some of the others would jump on him.  He made me laugh.  I hope he took it all in fun.  My sincere prayers to his family and loved ones.  I for one have been missing him around here.

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 04:11:48 AM »
Thanks for the update Mike. I miss the dawg, too. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Offline zack

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 09:08:21 AM »
Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to "In memory of Houndog" or something similar. Otherwise, it may get lost among other threads too quickly and people who don't read the forum frequently will not know of Houndog's passing.

Zack

Offline Patrick

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 05:41:19 PM »
Hound Dog is one of the most memorable posters from the forum.  He started posting not long after PL was born and was active for quite some time before dropping out, then coming back years later.  He always spoke his mind, often vehemently.  He was known as the person who got away with the most flaming ever around here.  I cut him a lot of slack because I always felt his heart was in the right place.  He was passionate in his opinions and his intentions seemed noble.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Offline pan de bono

Re: Tribute To Hound Dog
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »
Nice touch "Tribute to Hound Dog" thanks.

Offline Landover

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 08:24:20 AM »
Hound Dog was the authority when I was a newbie and started reading PL and going to Bogota around 1990.  He was a prolific poster.  I have no idea what his education level was but his posts were impressively insightful, the best I've read here.   I still have a printout of one of his posts that was I refer to today.  Thanks Hound Dog....may god wrap his loving arms around you.

Landover

Offline Santanger

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 08:55:01 AM »
there are several different types of lung cancers but one in particular is one of the most aggressive known to man and from the time your diagnosed till death its literally 3-4 months. 

I hope he found the Latin girl he was looking for and went a happy man.

Offline andres

• Commercial Member
  • Probie
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2007, 07:13:55 PM »
I remember john very well, he was an excellent and generous human being, I was his interpreter while he went down to Colombia and even met up with him in Cartagena, where he met his wife Luz Elena. I rememeber he smoked a lot, I couldn't keep track of how many packs a day he smoked, that´s how much he smoked. Very opinionated but he spoke many thruths and always had something interesting to say and always willing to share and give, I remember him best by that. I wouldn't be surprised that he died of cancer because of what I mentioned. My condolances to his wife who is a great person and woman and I am glad I met them both. Also my condolances to his friends. Also if someone could remind me of his web site please email me at caliguide@yahoo.com
Thank you

Offline Avispa

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »
Wow. First Pete E., now Houndog. They really made this forum interesting back in the day, Junfan too. Time moves on. That day will come for all of us. make sure you are ready.

RIP  JRV

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »

Offline rafael

• Probie
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
To say houndog rubbed people the wrong way is an understatement. he and I never got along and he even went so far as to email my employer to try and get me fired. . . .lol.. . .he took things personal and was VERY opinionated.  He actually started off posting on the LWL. he quickly forgot how he was when he was a newbie. He took it upon himself to defend the honor of Colombianas and "fight trolls". . . .his definition of troll was quite broader than most. His 2nd ever post on LWL was to ask how latinas were in bed. . . .a few months later if anyone posted a similar question he would be relentless in ripping the guy apart.

he could be downright rude, insulting people's wives and novias, bashing a poster who returned back home to care for a sick parent. He was banned, kicked off of or left nearly every forum and would come back with a new name etc. In fact I think at one point he woke up a bit and was the kinder gentler HD and either got banned or bailed again.

I think he was basically a good guy and he was trying to help with the best of intentions but he was not very bright and would obsess about what he thought was the right way and bash any other philosophies.

Even though he called my ex wife and novias some pretty bad names, tried to get me fired and had junfan karate kid threaten to beat up some of his "foes". . . .lol. . . I would not wish harm on anyone and feel bad that he passed away without finding what he was looking for in life. RIP HD.

Offline Larry178

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »

I knew John.  For whatever reason, he and I never fought that I can remember. I was at his wedding in San Antonio to Luz that was one day late at 91 days instead of 90.  I held his hand when it hit fan because of that and Luz left him.

He was my friend.

John was probably the best high end car guy in Houston.  He worked on all the cars nobody else could handle.  I held his hand when he got in trouble over back taxes.  I guess you could say I was the go to guy for John at times.

He was my friend.

He held my hand when I decided to get married to an AW.  I told him why I was doing it and contrary to most times, he backed me up.  He worked to understand why I was doing it and when the light went on, he wished me well.

He was my friend.

I used to laugh when he got in trouble for flames.  I knew he would be back under another name shortly.  He just couldn't help himself.  He was a pretty smart guy on some things and not real bright on others, it just depended.

John and I lost contact with each other over the years.  I wish we hadn't.  Now I gotta call my STBXW and tell her.   She liked John, most days.  John never had an opinion he didn't like. 

RIP John.

Larry aka Larry S

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128