Forum > Off-Topic Items

Travel outside the normal places

(1/3) > >>

robert angel:
Had a bang up good time in Western Europe. Flew into London a go go, onto sacking Paris, did a couple thousand miles over land to Rome, Geneva et, also moved on foot 5, 6 miles a day. Five countries, at least a dozen cities.

Will no longer hold the French people in contempt--very agreeable.  Cote d Azure --French Riviera was 'Nice' --as was Monaco/Monte Carlo--unreal how many billions there just in yachts alone.

Cheapest souvenirs ironically were in Monaco/M.C., most expensive everything in Switzerland 2X.

Overall, cost of hotels and especially meals, was surprisingly good. I gained about a pound a day! Gotta lift some weights.

Venice was a hot lover's delight, but Paris is the next 'go back to' spot. They say you fall in love in Paris and f__k like hell in Rome and I own that now.

But next year 3-4 weeks in Philippines and hopefully a week or so in Barcelona expected first.  Wouldn't mind a national park/Rockies break b4 tackling Europe again.

But be it your best GF, wife whatever, I think y'all would dig it. We literally got lost in Paris--the underground at closing, no cash--long story,  but happy ending.

For the stray dogs, I saw a fair amount of P4P girls, even before lunchtime in the nicer part of the cities somedays, lol.

More layers to the onion than I could peel, I suppose

But something different and fun for everyone, great people watching places-- time flows differently.

Finally getting the hang of this retirement thing!!

mambocowboy:

--- Quote from: robert angel on September 11, 2019, 02:05:00 PM ---Had a bang up good time in Western Europe. Flew into London a go go, onto sacking Paris, did a couple thousand miles over land to Rome, Geneva et, also moved on foot 5, 6 miles a day. Five countries, at least a dozen cities.

Will no longer hold the French people in contempt--very agreeable.  Cote d Azure --French Riviera was 'Nice' --as was Monaco/Monte Carlo--unreal how many billions there just in yachts alone.

Cheapest souvenirs ironically were in Monaco/M.C., most expensive everything in Switzerland 2X.

Overall, cost of hotels and especially meals, was surprisingly good. I gained about a pound a day! Gotta lift some weights.

Venice was a hot lover's delight, but Paris is the next 'go back to' spot. They say you fall in love in Paris and f__k like hell in Rome and I own that now.

But next year 3-4 weeks in Philippines and hopefully a week or so in Barcelona expected first.  Wouldn't mind a national park/Rockies break b4 tackling Europe again.

But be it your best GF, wife whatever, I think y'all would dig it. We literally got lost in Paris--the underground at closing, no cash--long story,  but happy ending.

For the stray dogs, I saw a fair amount of P4P girls, even before lunchtime in the nicer part of the cities somedays, lol.

But something different and fun for everyone, great people watching places-- time flows differently.

--- End quote ---
Heck yeah. Enjoy! Only about 10-14 years till I can retire. Lol

robert angel:

--- Quote from: mambocowboy on September 11, 2019, 10:31:08 PM ---Heck yeah. Enjoy! Only about 10-14 years till I can retire. Lol

--- End quote ---

Last years flew by pretty fast. I was afraid I couldn't do/afford to retire, but I over did that mindset. As long as I have an emergency fund for when sh!t goes bad around house, other inevitable 'unexpected expenses' --I think I'm OK. Last kid finishing college soon makes it even better.

Everything's pretty much the same--what we eat, where we go--vacation-travel---well, we saved for that. I am just lazy as f__k a whole lot of the time, but very lucky to have a wife who's an 'enabler'--she worries I might be depressed and told me not to call work asking for occasional work.

No, not buying that hot as hell new mid engine Vette yet, but I might end up with one eventually.

Can't take it with you.......

Elexpatriado:

--- Quote from: robert angel on September 11, 2019, 02:05:00 PM ---Had a bang up good time in Western Europe. Flew into London a go go, onto sacking Paris, did a couple thousand miles over land to Rome, Geneva et, also moved on foot 5, 6 miles a day. Five countries, at least a dozen cities.

--- End quote ---

The French are a new generation....the young ones all speak English and dont think Napolean won the war

The older ones..until they become sweet old ladies..ar a bit different

But like everywhere in Europe, they are all "Progressives"

robert angel:

--- Quote from: Elexpatriado on September 12, 2019, 01:31:52 PM ---
The French are a new generation....the young ones all speak English and dont think Napolean won the war

The older ones..until they become sweet old ladies..ar a bit different

But like everywhere in Europe, they are all "Progressives"

--- End quote ---

I politely asked in their languages "Do you speak English?" In 5 nations and the typical reply was like: "Why yes, of course"--WSJ- the journal, indicates American native English speakers don't have near the business employability appeal as before, as so many natives are now fluent.

Lot of Eastern Europeans working tourism jobs , inc a number of Slavic nations-- all spoke good English.

Lordy some of those tall, slim Eastern Euro chicks were hot as hell, (hungry 4 Hungarian ar ar)  but their blood and brains are Baltic cold.

People seemed pretty apathetic about politics--progressive to the left maybe---I didn't expound. Sorta sensed some discontent about all the refugees, but as long as the natives have plummeting birthrates, that's not going away.

But a lotta young, 'cool' people over there--didn't get close to the older aristocracy, but if u can afford a nice place in London, Rome, Nice or Paris, chances are you're going to be rubbing elbows with a different sort than me.

Still, it'd be mighty fine to be filthy rich in Paris.

Switzerland is a different world, still using Francs. Everything costs twice as much, but people earn twice as much. Military service is mandatory and they have the highest rate of (military issued) gun ownership, w full auto guns if u stay proficient.

Boat taxis on Lake Geneva, as well in and off shore Venice, took us to some amazing island gems---Murano, Burano etc--gotta break away to see 'hidden gems."

People love Tuscanny and Florence --was relaxing, but their lack of glitz that lends appeal to so many left us ho hum.

Hopefully Barcelona will have the city sophistication and even better beaches than the sweet French Riveria.

The cooler more experienced travelers were pretty unanimous in liking Barcelona.

Wild note was a futball riot in Geneva, of all places Hooligans worse than Liverpool's worst, met up for a beat down meet up, in a busy shopping part of town after dark. Eight or so vans, full of riot gear cops and others on motos, came out of no where and a couple of loud bangs and fireworks later, Swiss authority again prevailed. NOTHING was mentioned in media. My wife pulled me away from getting in the middle of that--spoil sport!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version