It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Trip is Prepared  (Read 6687 times)

Offline JohnnyB

• Friends Make Better Relationships
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Trip is Prepared
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »
Ok ......Tickets are purchased for Flight.

I've got 2 rooms booked at "Island Garden Resort in Pangubatan"

I will chase down a Rental Car when I Arrive.

Will leave on February 4th 2014 and Return on
February 25th 2014.

Could not swing anymore time for 1st Visit.

But I'm not going site seeing.

I'm going to meet Family and spend time with My Soon to be Wife.

Not All Things Are Black & White
There are 133 standard Crayola Crayon colors

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Trip is Prepared
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »
Ok ......Tickets are purchased for Flight.

I've got 2 rooms booked at "Island Garden Resort in Pangubatan"

I will chase down a Rental Car when I Arrive.

Will leave on February 4th 2014 and Return on
February 25th 2014.

Could not swing anymore time for 1st Visit.

But I'm not going site seeing.

I'm going to meet Family and spend time with My Soon to be Wife.

Three weeks is a good chunk of time. Try and find a way to make yourself sleep on the longest leg of your plane ride over so you aren't too tired, 'flip flopping' your  sleep clock 12 or so hours. It all sounds pretty good, but I would think twice about renting a car. Very few people, even those who can afford to, buy a car. Taxis,  jeepneys, tricycles and motorcycles are the preferred methods. Most Kano's who live there would opt of a motorcycle I think, but that won't haul your GF and her family. If you're planning on a big family outing, renting a van or a whole jeepney for a day is popular. We usually rent a jeepney, pack dozens of people, a whole roasted pig, 99 other dishes, beverages and head for a beach resort that allows you to bring all that 'stuff' in with you, but also has buildings--including shady roofed 'huts' along the sea side etc.

The ferry boat landing that gets you and/or your vehicle to Island Garden of Samal is just a short taxi ride away from Davao City or the airport. Driving  in Davao City is insane. Once you get over to Island Garden of Samal, the roads are absolutely awful overall. Plus it's so small that a taxi could cheaply get you around. Besides Island Garden Resort in Pangubatan pretty has  much has what you need already--food, beach, recreation and of course, lodging.

Not sure if you're going to stay the whole time there, but if you and her want some privacy, Paradise Beach--on Island Garden of Samal is probably closest to the ferry landing and is really nice for a very fair price. They have all different size and levels of  rooms--buildings with air con and other amenities. I think it's on the same side of the Island you're already booking.

I use taxis all the time there and if I want to take a very long trip or many short trips in one day, it's more cost effective to have your gal bargain a deal to have a taxi drive you around for a whole day or so. They may want to take a day trip to Eden Gardens or to some hot springs.

The family sees you paying for a nice resort and a renting a car you probably won't even use much might give them the impression that you've got deep pockets. I am a little surprised you're confident enough to refer to your lady as: "My Soon to be Wife"--I was a bit more shy in that regard--then again--you know this lady a lot better than I do and I wish you all the best. Nonetheless, keep your eyes and ears open!

BTW--the much discussed beard may be a PLUS! My wife got back from Davao a couple months ago and she says that not only do they show what's presently the most popular reality show in the USA, "Duck Dynasty" over there, but it's a hit in the Philippines too! Maybe rock a bandana with it and see what feed back you get.

Chances are pretty good she and her family don't get to see many movies at the theater. That could be a pretty nice treat too. The movie theaters are a part of the malls there.

It was bad enough that shows like Beverly Hills 90120 and Bay Watch left an indelible impression on many foreigners as to what they thought life in the USA is really like!

Back on the main land (Davao City) if you have a group to take out to eat--Banoks is real good. Jack Ridge is too, but a little more expensive, as it has a great view of the city below--especially at night. Dencio's is also nice--by the South Mall.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:35:05 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline JohnnyB

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:20:48 PM »
As always Robert.....You have given to many Good Strong Advice.....

I land in Davao at 5am on the 6th, still very early to check in to hotel.
My soon to be wife is going to meet me at airport.

She lives down south and a hard left from Digos to Bansalan.
Roughly a 2hr drive....I kinda figured it would be faster to get
To her Family from Davao and then get back up to the resort. With rental of a vehicle. ...but Robert you have me thinking???

But you make a lot of sense. ...she is 2nd oldest to her sister and 3 younger brothers 2 which are working and youngest in high school.

I Truly have no problem going directly into marriage with her.
But yes this will be 1st time together so I Promise To Keep My Eyes Wide Open.

We have been speaking almost 7 days a week for a year and conversation can go everywhere up down and sideways, then a few days later we discuss it all over again.

One room is a Tree House set on the Beach close to the water but no plumbing...
The cottage not far has all plumbing and everything else.

I wanted Romance. ...I wanted stories for the Grandchildren.
10 days there and rest with the family...

If you put it in front of me I will eat it......seafood seafood
I will stay clear of local water....I'm not that tough even the
Traditional food may be rough...but us country ducknecks
Ain't scared to try.......quack quack

In all my years Noo jet lag......I work  16+ hrs and go 3-4 days with 1-2hrs sleep.......but I will grab a few ZzZz's where I can.

Please anybody and everybody add your idea's and Opinions

I want the knowledge and the criticism.

A Man can not die from too much Knowledge.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:20:48 PM »

Offline Tanuki

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »
Johnny B, looks like you have a very nice trip set up.  If you do decide to go with the rent a car...  You are very brave man.  I can't speak for where you are going, but the traffic in Manila was insane!
Good luck and hope you have a wonderful trip.
Take care,
T

Offline JWR

• Divorced after a 10 year marriage to a Colombiana
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »
We usually rent a jeepney, pack dozens of people, a whole roasted pig, 99 other dishes, beverages and head for a beach resort that allows you to bring all that 'stuff' in with you, but also has buildings--including shady roofed 'huts' along the sea side etc.
Robert you crack me up.....!
Hey JB don't rent a car.  Half the fun of traveling around with your girlfriend is sitting in the back of some crazy trike holding hands, and watching the craziness go by.  You don't need the stress of trying to drive around in that mess.

Now about this "soon to be wife" business.  Hey I did the same thing as you.  Chatted everyday, got close online, made big plans, flew to Gensan Mindanao, and met my "soon to be wife"......  The very 1st night her Dad was running around introducing me as his new "son in law"....  We had only spent a few hours together and the deal was signed, sealed, and delivered.

Now you most likely are not going to hear this, but here goes.  If you really respect this girl, take it slow, don't spend the night with her in the beginning, and try to start a normal dating relationship.  Don't let the family get their hopes up too soon.  Keep it casual.

Why? You want to marry her right off the plane?  Because the relationship really starts once you are face to face.  You really have no idea how you will like each other, or if you are really compatible.  That is what dating is for.  Things may go perfect and you may end up marrying her anyway, but don't rush things. Let her character and personality come out slowly and naturally.  You may or may not like what you see in person.

You have nothing to lose going into this in the beginning.  YOU just get back on the plane and fly away to start another relationship if this doesn't workout between you two.  But if you spend the night with her, make marriage plans, and get the family all worked up, then it doesn't work out, SHE is going to be embarrassed, and have to face her friends and family after you leave.  So don't go and get all their hopes up, if you really care about this girl.  You may end up bailing out, and running for your life after 3 weeks.

I spent 3 weeks with my girlfriend, and it took some time, but day by day, I knew more and more that the relationship was never going to work between us.  Hey we had a great chat relationship, but in person, and with time......not so much.  You don't know anything til you get off the plane.  If you already have it in your mind that you are going to marry this girl, then your decision making is already screwed up.

Once you are on the ground there, things have a way of taking on a momentum of their own.  Plans start getting made, parties and dinners get planned, vans get rented, and your wallet may start getting drained by subtle pressure.  Most likely they will expect you to pay for everything.  My advice is to try to just go out on some normal simple dates together before you start planning any big outings with the family and friends.  If she wants to bring a friend on the 1st few dates, thats fine and normal.  Go back to your hotel room alone and say goodnight.  Take it slow.  You have the rest of your life to party with the family after your married.  Try to keep just a little control of what's happening.

The above advice comes from all the mistakes I made, and what I learned along the way.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:52:20 AM by JWR, Reason: sp »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »
JB good luck and enjoy your stay.

I would echo some of the things that JWR said. I would use the first trip as a "face-to-face" get to know each other.

As for the rental care, if you plan on doing the driving yourself - I would not recommend it. 
But if you really need to rent a car then rent one with a driver. That would be much safer than you driving plus the driver will know the routes and the "unwritten" rules of the road there. Or you can rent one (self-drive) and have your lady friend (if she have a license) or a family member drive you around.

If you put it in front of me I will eat it......seafood seafood
Ummm  :-X ;D
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »

She lives down south and a hard left from Digos to Bansalan.
Roughly a 2hr drive....I kinda figured it would be faster to get
To her Family from Davao and then get back up to the resort. With rental of a vehicle. ...but Robert you have me thinking???

A Man can not die from too much Knowledge.

Ha ha--JB--you have ME thinking!  My Mother in law is originally from Bansalan, it's not too big a place and we still have family there. Heck, we may end up being related to each other by marriage!!--LOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bansalan,_Davao_del_Sur

That area is the mango capital of the world. My wife and her siblings went there a while back and planted more mango trees on their land for 'the future'. It's not anywhere as busy or congested as Davao City, which is now the second largest city in the Philippines, having surpassed Cebu City. That said, Davao C. Doesn't feel half as big as C.C., because it's spread out more.

On the map, Bansalan looks like it's close to Cotabato, but it really isn't that close travel wise. In the Philippines thins can look close on the map and because of the terrain, be a real long trip over land. Mt. Apo is clearly viewed from Davao City and Island Garden of Samal, yet the other side of Mt. Apo is even more visible from the Basalan area. I'm sure nobody in her family plans on going into Cotabato, but most westerners don't head that way.

Yea--you get some bad water and I don't care if you have a stomach as tough as a moonshine still, it can lay you low and even ruin a trip. Pack some Imodium and maybe some pepto bismol tablets. I will even sometimes take half or a single little Imodium tablet 'just in case', especially if we're going out for a while and will be eating different kinds of food. I have a stomach like cast iron it seems, but I still take some precautions.

The toilets there--they call them 'comfort rooms'  are pretty, shall we say 'primitive'? and 3/4 sized compared to ours. Often there's no toilet seat or toilet paper, so carrying a packet of double ply Kleenex when you're 'on the road' doesn't over load your pocket and might come in handy.

Like you, I'll eat about anything any one serves in a foreign country--or even here in the USA, but I never could stand liver or dishes made form animal blood--that's where I draw my line.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:28:52 AM by robert angel »

Offline JohnnyB

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 07:47:57 AM »
Thank You all as Normal

I will forego renting a car..."wish I could bring my Harley"

I wish you all At least 50 more years of Happiness.

I will date her, I will enjoy our time spent together...

I will marry her!!!!!!

To me... I have spent much time with words and those have created feelings......

I know my personality  .....I will learn more of what she will be.

If I was making a trip just for sex then thinking of marriage would not be apart of my mind.

But I will look, watch and listen.

I know you all have my best interests in mind and your knowledge and experience......

I will use the local transportation. ...

I will carry the extras TP and Tummy Pills.

What is the 100% answer to the shots I need for going over there.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
No shots needed.

Offline JohnnyB

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
I thank you for that information.
I guess the list that I have received was more a recommendation.
Malaria Vaccine
Yellow Fever Vaccine
Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR) Vaccine
Diphtheria, Pertussis, & Tetanus (PPT)
Immune Globulin (IG) or Hepatitis A Vaccine
Hepatitis B Vaccine
Rabies Vaccine
Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine
Typhoid Fever Vaccine
Cholera Vaccine
Small Pox Vaccine
Polio immunization

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
Heck no! Balderdash! I haven't ever had a vaccination for any of those things and I have been from one end of the Philippine archipelago to the other, including places w/o electricity, running water or paved roads, gone weeks w/o seeing a non Asian and been hours away from any hospital. Not that I've been to all 7000+ islands, but from the north to the south and in the middle--you get my drift...

The two things I worry about catching most are dengue fever and malaria and there's no vaccination for them anyway. The stories of the 12 foot long cobras do come back to mind when it's late, dark and I need to take a piss, but that comes with the territory wayyy out in the country.

If you catch dengue or malaria, it's just bad luck, They actually do spray to minimize risk over huge areas of land, but cases occasionally still occur. Dr's and or worst case--the hospital and you'd be OK--but cases are very, very rare. A good friend of mine--his wife caught dengue fever and she spent a month in a Cambodian hospital. It was not pretty.

They--(his wife and TWO young kids!) took 18 months off, and on a shoe string budget went all over the world, doing stuff like riding elephants halfway across India, wandering around Africa and places where you couldn't even find a Coca Cola. Makes me look quite tame actually. SOB didn't even bring me back a shrunken head souvenir like I asked, but then again, the missus really was quite sick.

When out in the 'boonies' (and that word --'boondocks'---ORGINATED in the Philippines) I try to swat any mosquitos before they bite and especially in real rural areas, I sleep under a mosquito net.

AS sort of indicated, stay away from the water--try to even avoid the ice in most areas and be careful with food--especially really cheap street food. It's awfully tempting and I'll admit I have and will again partake in street staples such as ripe and green mango 'milk' shakes and the sweetened coconut water they sell on almost every city street corner, but I always have a couple Imodium on me, some pepto bismol not too far away and all the drug stores there sell antibiotic medication over the counter like M&Ms and will tell you exactly how to take them.

Listen to your gal and her family.

I used to worry a whole lot more, especially before my first trip. My biggest worries now aren't so much about mosquito or food borne illnesses, but more about the impossibly beautifully young females there who try to seduce me. So far, I'm holding out pretty good, keeping my pants up, but seeing how we have a home there now, I do still worry. They watch your schedule, some are awfully horny and they will attempt to 'jump your bones' just to say they 'bagged a foreigner'. No wonder my wife always likes me to be around 'family'!

People in the Philippines pay almost the highest rate of any country on earth for electricity, which is why it's common to see people turning off lights and fans whenever they leave rooms, but if not air conditioned, I like to have at least a fan on me to keep the skeeters off and me comfortable at night. If I'm a guest, they typically just do it anyway, but I know it costs big time and I will try and surprise them with a sack of rice, a couple chicken, maybe a kilo or two of fresh tuna, because again, it isn't cheap and I don't want to pinch their budget too much.

In the USA, we typically pay somewhere  between 8 to 17 cents a kilowatt.  Near to the Philippines and just as hot temperature wise, Thailand pays 5 or 10 cents a kilowatt, but in the Philippines, it was over 30 cents a kilowatt in 2010 and I know it's gone up since.

Colombia South America's about 18 cents, (2013) Canada's only 6 to 12 cents a kilowatt!

Maybe I'll move my sons, with all their electronics, to Kuwait, where they pay one cent per kilowatt!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:48:42 PM by robert angel »

Offline Ray

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »

I thank you for that information.
I guess the list that I have received was more a recommendation.
Malaria Vaccine
Yellow Fever Vaccine
Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR) Vaccine
Diphtheria, Pertussis, & Tetanus (PPT)
Immune Globulin (IG) or Hepatitis A Vaccine
Hepatitis B Vaccine
Rabies Vaccine
Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine
Typhoid Fever Vaccine
Cholera Vaccine
Small Pox Vaccine
Polio immunization

Johnny,

If you get all that stuff before you travel, I predict that your beard and penis will fall off and you might not even survive.   ;D

There are no required vaccines for travel to the Philippines. Depending on the area you will be traveling in, you may want to get a few vaccinations to be safe. Take a look at the CDC recommendations and use your good judgement. CDC generally recommends Hep-A and Typhoid for most Philippine travelers. Ask your family doctor for advice.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/philippines  

Malaria prevention involves taking pills starting several weeks before and during travel, and they will probably give you the screaming yellow zonkers. I wouldn’t worry about malaria pills unless you are going to a known malaria area.

You can get dengue almost anywhere. Your best means of protection is to avoid mosquito bites. Use a good repellent with DEET when outdoors after dark. Mosquito nets are good, but those stupid mosquito coils are worthless. My daughter got dengue a couple of months ago in Hawaii and spent 7 days in the hospital. She is still getting treatment for serious side affects.

They used to tell us in the Boy Scouts to eat lots of garlic starting a week or two before camping in the woods to help repel mosquitoes. Does it work? Probably not, but I do know that garlic will repel the aswang, so why not eat up?

Ray

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
Actually Hep  A shots aren't a bad idea anyways anywhere--I got mine after a few trips to the Philippines, when I found out my insurance covered them--even the other Hep B series was covered too. I just don't think I'd have gotten them for trips to the Philippines (RP) alone, nor the typhoid.

If you're eating what the families your staying with are eating and they look healthy, you're probably fine. Just watch the water (I'm always near a bottle of good brand water there) and stay away from the mangy, cheap street food--no matter how good it smells.

I was way out in the country where anything that moves is eaten by some people. Out in the province there were some guys who were cooking up an awfully long snake one time that they said was a cobra, but I passed on that one. There were dogs running around, but I hear when things get really rough...

Ray's just being real careful--realize he gets rabies shots twice a year--I wonder if he's keeping up on his distemper shots?  ;D ;D ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »

Offline JohnnyB

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 11:35:38 AM »
Ray.....Robert

You Gentlemen are always Full of Somthing.......

"Always very Good Advice"

I will keep my pecker for time being and I've given permission for my beard to be removed with much
Hip Grinding.

I will inquire about the ..Hep A/B and Typhoid.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »
Ray.....Robert

You Gentlemen are always Full of Somthing.......

"Always very Good Advice"

I will keep my pecker for time being and I've given permission for my beard to be removed with much
Hip Grinding.

I will inquire about the ..Hep A/B and Typhoid.

I wouldn't sweat the typhoid--but that's just me. City or out in the country there, my wife never heard of anyone who had a problem w/ typhoid and she's been to the town you're visiting plenty of times --it's her Mom's hometown.
If you've decided 'off with the beard', I'd advise doing it a while before you get on the plane, so that your skin can regroup. I had a beard and a mustache, but the mustache I had for like decades before to my wife's utter delight, I shaved it off. Six years later, it still grows faster and thicker on my skin under my nose than my beard does/did on the rest of my face! You'll probably be fine, but just in case, give it some time--you don't want to go there looking like a red, plucked chicken!

Offline JohnnyB

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 03:06:09 AM »
Ok All is ready!!!!!

Divorce  finalized.......
Passport Received.....
Airline Tickets Purchased....
Accommodations Purchased....

February 4th leaving,  Arriving in Manila 5th ,Fly to Dumaguete on 6th spend 2 days in Amlan, Bus ride to Cebu fly to Davo for 5 day's,  Fly back to Cebu, Bus ride to
Dumaguete stay for 5 days Then REFUSE to fly home on 18th but I will.

Then come here for details of Trip.

Offline Ray

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 09:04:56 AM »
Well Johnny, sounds like you're ready. Did you get any shots?

Bus from Dumaguete to Cebu? I guess that means a ferry ride is involved since they are on different islands.

Be ready for some culture shock on Philippine busses. Unless you are traveling on an express type bus with prepaid seats, you may find yourself pushing, shoving, and trampling old ladies and small kids to get a seat.

On my first experience taking a public bus from Olongapo City to Manila, I missed the first 2 busses because I didn't want to kill anyone for a seat. But there was a very small hustler kid at the terminal who offered to get me a seat for a one peso fee.

When the next bus pulled in, instead of fighting with the mob to crowd on to the bus, he climbed in a rear window and grabbed me a seat before anyone could get on.

Then after the mob died down, I managed to get in the door where the kid had my seat already saved for me. After collecting his fee, he climbed out the window. It was a peso well spent. Now that was many years ago, so I don't know what the going rate is now...

Then there's the baggage boys... oh never mind, you'll find out the hard way... LOL!

Ray

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:11:51 AM by Ray »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 06:13:26 PM »
Ok All is ready!!!!!

Divorce  finalized.......
Passport Received.....
Airline Tickets Purchased....
Accommodations Purchased....

February 4th leaving,  Arriving in Manila 5th ,Fly to Dumaguete on 6th spend 2 days in Amlan, Bus ride to Cebu fly to Davo for 5 day's,  Fly back to Cebu, Bus ride to
Dumaguete stay for 5 days Then REFUSE to fly home on 18th but I will.

Then come here for details of Trip.

Good lucky Johnny. From your posts here and from our phone conversation, you seem like a practical, patient and steady fellow. Those characteristics, plus the fact that you're good at fixing and building stuff from scratch, will make you an attractive guy to your gal and her family. Plus,  If you shaved that beard like you were talking about doing, that'll just be 'icing on the cake'.  Your gal, who comes from a not so big area where my Mother in law's family is from,  isn't kin to us, but she sounds nice as most folks there are. Generally pretty uncomplicated, gentle folks. Watch the weigh of your luggage, and remember if you switch from an international flight to a domestic airline, weight allowance is less and they may charge extra. Hope you like mangos, coz that's the world's center for them!

Glad you'll be moving around--Island hopping. Not surprised, but it's nice of you to mention that you'll put together a trip report. I remember when you were all ears and questions (a good thing) and a trip report, especially on your first, really is a great thing and I think it pays forward any help you've been given and helps lurkers and guys who just need a little more confidence to just 'up and finally do it'.  I'm sure I'm not the only guy happy for you. If you have any last minute Qs drop me a line!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:38:16 PM by robert angel »

Offline JohnnyB

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
Yes had a few shots.... Hep A/B

The bus as of now is the last bus at 11:30 at night.

The beard is staying until the 1st few Kisses and then
we will see if she understands that it is Nice & Soft.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »
Johnny,

Figured you've got it covered, but just in case, don't forget to bring chocolate and other USA stuff. Not sure if Victoria's Secret is still having their big bi annual sale--but last weekend it looked full swing still. Perfume from there--lotions, always a huge hit. Branded sports wear like Aeropostale, Hollister, American Eagle, of course Nike and Adidas always a big hit.

Even if they say 'Don't bring anything" they will almost certainly expect. Don't forget parents, siblings and probably even some close aunts and uncles.

They're probably almost all small sizes over there.

Offline JohnnyB

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 03:49:53 AM »
Bringing Gift s has got my mind crazy with baggage weights.
I've decided to just carry on. ..
It will be my luck any checked baggage will be lost.

I've read much of airlines policy and just don't trust them.
I thought of bringing some Coal because the odd s are they
Will be Diamond's by the time I get the luggage back. LOL

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
Understand your concern, but in a dozen or so flights from the USA east coast to where you're going--Mindanao, via Manila, Philippines, only once (on Cathay Airlines) did our checked in bags not arrive with us. That time, our bags got lost in Hong Kong--an airport that seems about as big as New Jersey and at that--they were in Davao City, Mindanao--the whole other end of the 7000+ island Philippine archipelago, just a couple days later.

Slim chance yes, but that said, always pack an extra pair of underwear, toothbrush and small sized toiletries in your carry on. Plus, they typically compensate you for the trouble and in the rather rare event a bag IS lost, the compensation is usually worth more monetarily than the actual contents, assuming your not bringing in gold watches, Louis Vuitton or Prado handbags, etc.

Yes--they are brutally rough on luggage. Anyone remember that Samsonite TV commercial showing gorillas as airport baggage handlers, swinging and banging the luggage all around? ?  The humans might actually be worse.We don't buy real expensive luggage--more like in the middle cost range luggage and at that--we might get 3 or 4 trips before we start to question if the bags will come apart--a rip or crack becoming a huge split and we lose our stuff. Come to think of it--I think that might make a good thread, as I've wondered if hard shell luggage is better that soft, semi reinforced<--(what we usually use), or if better condition military surplus canvas rucksacks might be better yet--anyone got opinions or experience there?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:08:54 PM by robert angel »

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »
...I've wondered if hard shell luggage is better that soft, semi reinforced<--(what we usually use), or if better condition military surplus canvas rucksacks might be better yet--anyone got opinions or experience there?
Whatever you get, make sure it's got wheels.

BTW, I found a canvas bag at WalMart once that had wheels.  I thought it was the greatest idea.  Folded up nice for storage.  The problem was, being fabric, it still sagged when toted along on its wheels through the airport, so a part was always dragging along the ground.  Now that spot is getting a hole.  I'll need to do some major patch repairs if I want to use it for air travel again.  Still works fine for vehicle travel, though.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »
Whatever you get, make sure it's got wheels.

BTW, I found a canvas bag at WalMart once that had wheels.  I thought it was the greatest idea.  Folded up nice for storage.  The problem was, being fabric, it still sagged when toted along on its wheels through the airport, so a part was always dragging along the ground.  Now that spot is getting a hole.  I'll need to do some major patch repairs if I want to use it for air travel again.  Still works fine for vehicle travel, though.

I like the heavy grade 'duck' canvas. I have some canvas, cross stitched at tack points leather reinforced bags I've had since I was a barely a teenager and while I wouldn't take them overseas, they've survived decades in super hot garages, attics and sheds and still could take more of a beating. Got an all leather carry on --sort of cylinder shaped, that's been thru hell n back. It has more pockets than a kangaroo convention and still is good to go.

Even the better nylon rips--so does canvas--but I think w/ canvas, the rips are less likely to run as long and you can salvage them--the airport can duct tape them in a pinch, whereas nylon's a lost cause sometimes. If the canvas bags had wheels, I kind of doubt if they'd have held up, but I agree, wheels make going from terminal to terminal so much better--they're a must, but make sure they're decent wheels.

People say "You get what you pay for' and it's usually true, but w/ luggage, I think going down the middle of the road, instead of paying for high end stuff is the value way to go. Most of it isn't going to see 5 or 6 trips to Asia no matter how much you pay.

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
My 2 favorite pieces of luggage in my collection are a Delsey Helium hard case and a Briggs & Riley expandable. They are both great and have taken a beating including the Delsey falling down a couple of flight of stairs.
The only bad thing about them are that they are very expensive and thus, not a good investment for someone who do not/will not travel alot.

If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5874
Latest: BillyGeots
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 350