It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Cebu / Davao May 8th - June 26th  (Read 11821 times)

Offline CyberGlitch

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Cebu / Davao May 8th - June 26th
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:30:17 PM »
Let's move this over here with T minus 30 hours to touch down.

Offline CyberGlitch

Re: Cebu / Davao May 8th - June 26th
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26:31 AM »
and we're off. Sitting in JFK now waiting on connecting flight.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
Touch down Philippines and a full day 1 finished. We kind of over did it but was worth it.

Day 1
Our plan was for not much for the first day. She doesn't travel around the city a lot so left it up to me. I didn't know what smaller and easier things there was to do. So I said let's just go to Ayala, walk around, get lunch and that would be about it.

Yea, totally didn't happen. We got a metered taxi and headed to the mall. We started talking about what else to do when the driver spoke up. Was going on about how if we wanted he would drive us around to popular spots he knows about and hire him for the day. We talked about where, what places an how much. He was naming off 6-8 places we could hit for the day and at first wasn't so sure. He said 2,800 for the day which I thought was just a little steep and at first said no thanks. As we got out at the mall he gave us his cell and said don't pay him now and to text him if we changed our mind or just wanted a ride back to the hotel and could pay him after that! Was pretty shocked to see a him let us just go like that.

So we walked around the mall and had lunch at TGIF, she's never been and me still wanting to play it safe for the most part. She doesn't finish all hers and packs up a lot of it to bring to siblings. She then mentions she's going to call the taxi to bring us back to hotel but give him some of the left overs as well. He was happy to not only see us again but also the food. As Anne said back to the hotel he lowered his rate to 2,000 for the day since we brought him lunch. For that and I said let's go for it.

We went to Magellan's Cross, Fort San Pedro, Crocolandia and 1 or 2 other places I can't even recall right now. We were also going to walk down Colon and lastly Taoist Temple which I really wanted to see but my back was starting to get sore from all the walking. So we called it a day and had the driver bring us back to hotel early. Man, the moment we get back in the taxi Anne goes to town.. since we aren't going to other places how about 1,500, he says 2,000, she asks 1,800, he shakes his head, then she says 1,800 and 200 tips for 2,000 total and he accepts that. Still didn't think that was too bad.

Thank god I've read these forums backwards and forwards plus also reading culture shock. The driving may be totally crazy but with the amount of traffic after awhile it felt safer then a taxi in NY or other big city. They have the horn song and dance down and seem fairly courteous with others on the road.

Read about it but really didn't think of it happening to me but totally has. I turn around for 5 minutes and all my clothes are folded and put away, even my dirty clothes are folded and in there own pile. Constantly wiping me down with a hanky to keep me dry. Thought I was doing a good job of that myself but apparently not.

Now I need to go get the extended visa, where can I go to get that done? how long and how much is it?

Also haven't found a close by ATM but wasn't looking while at the mall which I'm sure would have 1.

We're really going to try to take it easy the next few days now. Find permanent place for 2 months, check out Kontiki for SCUBA cert next week and invite siblings over to the room for maybe pizza and a movie.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »
Enjoying the start of the report.  :)

Take your time and enjoy yourself.

Now I need to go get the extended visa, where can I go to get that done? how long and how much is it?
One of of the Bureau of Immigration offices and the fee is about 3,030 pesos ($74.xx).
http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=43

Also haven't found a close by ATM but wasn't looking while at the mall which I'm sure would have 1.
Don't be surprise if your card do not work at some of the ATMs.
Some of the ATMs are locally owned and will only work for regional cards. If that happen to you try using an ATM inside a bank - not outside the bank but actually inside the bank (some of the ATMs outside the bank are not own/operated by the bank).
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
Thanks for the trip report so far. My wife's over in the Davao region now and can't believe how much everything has increased in price. At the same time, the wages for those lucky enough to have jobs haven't increased much at all.

That said, 2800 pesos for a day tour of Cebu is pretty dang steep, as those sites aren't all that far apart in distance. Shop aound some and be careful about agreeing to meals included free to the driver--one time we did that and the driver seemed to have a bottomless stomach and ordered expensive items. My wife is lining up an entire Jeepney for 4000 pesos--about $100 USA dollars. If it's meant to seat about 30 I guess, I'm sure that if needed, they'll squeeze 60 family members. We went to the hot springs like that once and I felt like a happy sardine. They're bringing a whole butchered hog, a whole lot of other food and drinks and they'll go to a nice beach around Tagum City (I think it's called Banana Beach---how original) and I forgot to ask if they're all staying over night--I'm cool with that--her parents aren't getting any younger and her siblings work all over the Philippines--really all over the world.

I tell you that if your Filipina wife (or wife to be) has her head screwed on right, a trip home after living in the USA, when she sees how tough so many folks back there have it, can be a real attitude adjustment. She definitely was level headed before she left, but she told me just how much more appreciative she is for all the things we have, and we live a pretty middle class lifestyle. Each time she and I go back there, it's the same way and need it or not, it's a reality check and a 'tune up' of sorts for our marriage, even more so when she goes there w/o me and we're apart.

Cebu City is actually a little smaller than Davao City now, but CC's a bit more expensive, just like the metro Manila Area's typically more expensive than Cebu City. The govt's minimum wage (for those few company's that honor it), is a little bit higher according to the city, but basic every day staples like rice and fish have increased in price terribly. Add in the VAT (value added tax) and it's rough.

It just makes every gesture we make more appreciated. Buying the family a pizza, giving the kids a basketball or volleyball--things like that are priceless.

If I'm not mistaken, I think travel agents at the malls can help facilitate a visa extension--might be worth checking.

Keep us posted and wishing you all the best!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:30:08 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:26 PM »
Visa extended at the main office in Mandaue. That was an experience when we get there and forgetting I didn't have the cash, we both forgot. So we did a nice 3 or 4 block walk up the street to find a ATM. Was very interesting playing real life frogger but have better appreciation for the traffic and stuff here.

Ironic just yesterday was asking her how often people got hit and she was saying not to many. Then now walking down the street she barely gets clipped by a bikes mirror.  ???

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Ok, the jet lag and hitting Cebu the first day here caught up to me and Thursday night I was out cold from like 6pm to roughly 4am. About fully adjusted to time difference now.

We took it easy Friday and Saturday. Mostly thinking of a few of the little things I needed and then got the last big thing done. We found our town home and start moving into it today. Nice gated village with mostly foreigners renting there I'm told. We went late in the evening to see the place and was nice and quite.

After that we headed back to the hotel I figured we would take a Jeepney and that was fun going back to the hotel in the late evening. Then also when we got back, since was last night here I ordered some pizzas and told Anne she could invite her siblings over. So they came over for pizza and watch a movie that I brought with me.

She's got tomorrow off as well. So that'll be the last free day together and then she's back to work for a little while and I'll be back working some as well. We're going out today to get a globe stick for Internet at the town home and getting packed and moved.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
Ok, the jet lag and hitting Cebu the first day here caught up to me and Thursday night I was out cold from like 6pm to roughly 4am. About fully adjusted to time difference now.

We took it easy Friday and Saturday. Mostly thinking of a few of the little things I needed and then got the last big thing done. We found our town home and start moving into it today. Nice gated village with mostly foreigners renting there I'm told. We went late in the evening to see the place and was nice and quite.

After that we headed back to the hotel I figured we would take a Jeepney and that was fun going back to the hotel in the late evening. Then also when we got back, since was last night here I ordered some pizzas and told Anne she could invite her siblings over. So they came over for pizza and watch a movie that I brought with me.

She's got tomorrow off as well. So that'll be the last free day together and then she's back to work for a little while and I'll be back working some as well. We're going out today to get a globe stick for Internet at the town home and getting packed and moved.

Sounds like you're getting your bearings pretty fast in terms of finding what hopefully will be a fairly long range, safe and stable place to stay.  Isn't it great to see just how much spending $10 or $15 bucks for pizza, soda pop and a movie for newly met family and friends over there can mean to them? Even if they can't verbally express it to you, you can just feel their excitement.

So many things we enjoy w/o giving too much thought here in the USA are really big things over there. I remember taking a group of my wife's boarding house mates to Paradise Beach, just outside of metro Davao City, for a whole day trip, paying for several taxi's to get the whole group to the boat landing there.

They didn't sleep a wink the night before in anticipation of the next day--they prepared food and more and took air conditioned taxis (plus a short ferry ride over to Island Garden of Samal's Paradise Beach). It seemed almost like a limo ride and a cruise to them--gals used to working six days a week and/or attending University with little or no savings after paying their living expenses. It was such a wonderful experience and compared to a resort or a theme park in the USA, it cost a mere fraction in comparison.

Acting good natured, even silly at times and laughing along with everyone, 'trying to enjoy and relate to them', makes a huge impression. Somehow, I don't think that'll be hard for you!

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling your posts are welcome, enjoyable reads and I'm pretty sure they'll help some guy/s finally get up the gumption to 'just do it' and get on the plane!

Cebu C's water's OK and Davao's about the best in the nation over there, but still be careful about water, ice and street food. Nonetheless, always pack a couple immodium if you're out for the day and bring some kleenex for emergency toilet paper 'just in case'.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »
Yea, Anne has said a few times she's been impressed with how warm and welcoming I've been. There were a few sales people in SM I must of sat and chatted with for 20+ minutes. Starts off with asking for what I was looking for and when I finally found a place that had it we just started talking about anything. Most everyone is just so friendly it's hard to not be the same back. If you can just get over the looks of the city everything else is fine.

Yea, I could see how much last night meant to her siblings; even if they didn't speak much at all. I picked on the younger sister once and got a good laugh out of her. She started talking to Anne and I interrupted saying "What, don't want to speak English in front of me?" She just cracked up laughing and got silent again. Will be interesting when we travel from here to Davao together by ferry/bus for an extended period of time.

The owner of the town home was amazing. He was saying we should have come to him sooner because he went out with a small group island hopping most the day yesterday and we could have come. So I think we're going to be just fine there. My biggest worry now is groceries and food! lol Already been to 1 grocery store inside SM and that was.... interesting and different.

Yes, any other person reading and thinking about it. Just do it. I've been thinking about this trip for over 2 years now. My new years resolution or phrase for the year is "don't think, just do". I did that in January with my plane tickets and so glad I did it.

Weirdest thing, I'm on 1 of thousands of tropical islands and haven't even been to the beach or in the water yet but really don't care.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 05:10:45 AM »

Getting scary that I was getting to already know what the total would be from hotel to certain places. We get a taxi to meet the broker for deposit on home. I already knew this would be roughly 160. I also knew we were going to be going back to hotel and then back to the home which was just up the street from broker. So I'm thinking 480 for the entire thing and tell Anne to negotiate with driver. Even 500 if he would do all the trips and wait at each location since we would only be 10-15 minutes.

Totally down with the Jeepney now. Got the routes to/from the town home, where she works and a small mall! I'll take a 9PhP ride any day of the week. Actually had a conversation with Anne and was saying in some ways Jeepney is safer. You could get in a taxi and if you didn't know the route they could take you anywhere they wanted; not so much with Jeepney. Just have to get over all the stares.  ;D 

Thank you S&R, just like CostCo back home. Got a few essentials for the house when I'm not feeling adventurous for local food. Broker for the town home told us about it and then brought us since she had a membership. I tell you, Anne picked out everything perfectly.

With all the voting and her having tomorrow off it's a relax day in the new town home.  8)

Offline thekfc

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »
Yea, I could see how much last night meant to her siblings; even if they didn't speak much at all. I picked on the younger sister once and got a good laugh out of her. She started talking to Anne and I interrupted saying "What, don't want to speak English in front of me?" She just cracked up laughing and got silent again. Will be interesting when we travel from here to Davao together by ferry/bus for an extended period of time.
Nose bleed..ha ha

My biggest worry now is groceries and food! lol Already been to 1 grocery store inside SM and that was.... interesting and different.
You notice about the groceries stores inside the mall - your one stop shopping.
I was surprise at one time to find one of my favorite juice "Florida's Natural Brand" and a few other "lesser known" US items in one of the supermarkets there.  8)

Yes, any other person reading and thinking about it. Just do it. I've been thinking about this trip for over 2 years now. My new years resolution or phrase for the year is "don't think, just do". I did that in January with my plane tickets and so glad I did it.
That is what we have been say to folks - get on the plane!!!!!! ;D

Weirdest thing, I'm on 1 of thousands of tropical islands and haven't even been to the beach or in the water yet but really don't care.
You have only been there a few day give it time.  ;)

Totally down with the Jeepney now. Got the routes to/from the town home, where she works and a small mall! I'll take a 9PhP ride any day of the week. Actually had a conversation with Anne and was saying in some ways Jeepney is safer. You could get in a taxi and if you didn't know the route they could take you anywhere they wanted; not so much with Jeepney. Just have to get over all the stares.  ;D   
I have gotten use to the Jeepneys & have taken them on many occassions.
The tricycle is at the bottom of my list mainly because of the exhust fumes.

We usually took a taxi back when it was later in the day, went shopping, long(er) distance.  Also there were certain areas that we had to take a taxi because tricycles & jeepneys were not allowed there.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »
For the few extra pesos, always opt for the AIRCON taxi!

Offline thekfc

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
For the few extra pesos, always opt for the AIRCON taxi!
Don't you want "natural" air instead? It's free.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »
Got to try a tric when we went out to get a few of the big bottles of purified water to cook with. Anne didn't want me using tap to cook with even if we boiled it. Those things are sardine cans, I barely fit in it and I'm only 5'10. LOL

Past day or 2 we've always been taking Jeepney into town. Then depending on where we go or what we did will decide what we take back. Like last night we went to SM to buy more essentials for the house and had a couple large bags, so got taxi. If I'm going to get a taxi it's always aircon and certainly the bus to Oslob when we do that will be aircon.

The Tattoo usb internet stick isn't unlimited data.  :o  Woke up yesterday and was online for a little bit then all of a sudden it stops. Get msg on their software that I've exceeded my 800mb/day and I'm done for the day. Note to self, no downloading movies to watch till I've gotten all my work done for the day.

My body seems to be adjusted, minus the humidity still at times. So in the next few days will be getting some chicken adabo cooked for me. I cooked up some fettuccine alfredo for her last night which she liked.

We said she would still go to work some and then I can get some work done as well, since I can work from anywhere with Internet. Today is her first day back to work and I'll be alone at the house. Our broker has been awesome though and lives up the street. Also did see a few of the foreigners she said lived in this village. Will have to try and catch a drink with them some time. We we're on the tric at the time so couldn't really stop just then. It's also just 1 jeepney to her office and there is also a small mall from there a short walking distance. So 1 day will get up the courage to do the trip alone and bring her lunch or something.

So 3 days of work and a "normal" life. Then Friday we travel to Davao by bus and ferry through CDO.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
CG, enjoying your trip report.

Me and the wife wanted to go back this spring but appointments and other stuff are making us postpone the trip to later in the year.

Got to try a tric when we went out to get a few of the big bottles of purified water to cook with. Anne didn't want me using tap to cook with even if we boiled it. Those things are sardine cans, I barely fit in it and I'm only 5'10. LOL
How many bumps on the head you already have?  ;D ;D ;D

Past day or 2 we've always been taking Jeepney into town. Then depending on where we go or what we did will decide what we take back. Like last night we went to SM to buy more essentials for the house and had a couple large bags, so got taxi. If I'm going to get a taxi it's always aircon and certainly the bus to Oslob when we do that will be aircon.
Yep, taxi is the way to go when you finish your shopping and are heading back home

The Tattoo usb internet stick isn't unlimited data.  :o  Woke up yesterday and was online for a little bit then all of a sudden it stops. Get msg on their software that I've exceeded my 800mb/day and I'm done for the day. Note to self, no downloading movies to watch till I've gotten all my work done for the day.
My wife said that the Globe prepaid stick she had was unlimited.

One of her nephews have the stick where you pay by the day.

So there are different sticks.

Edit:
One of the niece is online now and I asked her.
She said the 800MB daily limit is for one of the promos with the fair use policy - maybe you have that promo. She say you can get the pay-per-use or the other promos (without the fair use policy & no limit) or  the pay per day.

People always go for the promo because it is the cheapest and use wifi when they are on the go.

She said she and her college mates have one of the plans where 5 of them get connected on the same wifi, they get unlimited browsing, it is postpaid (not prepaid) and they share the monthly bill. They all have internet at home so it is for on the go.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:43:27 PM by thekfc »

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
Only bumped my head twice and quickly learned my lesson. Once in a Jeepney and yes, again on the tric.

Will check out the other promos for the stick I've got. I know it was paid 'by day' and we just got 5 days to start with instead of the full 30 days. So when that's up will see what other promos I can get. What I would have really liked is something i could use an Ethernet port on and could hook up my vonage box! Used that in the hotel. If not, no biggie, just forces me off the laptop a little more. Maybe that'll force me to get up the nerve to start doing a little traveling around alone.  :D

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
Few quick pics I made smaller to be accepted on here.

Had to get a short video of some traffic too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81abcTH0XDs

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 09:01:40 PM »
Nice update, CG--Thanks.

Might be nothing, but then again a lot of Filipinos are lactose intolerant. The cream typically in fettuccine might not even phase her a bit, but I bet even if it gave her tummy a bit of a toss, she'd be hesitant to let off just because she's sweet and sensitive.  One of my sons is lactose intolerant, while the other typically drinks a half gallon of more of milk a day. Just a roll of the genetic dice, I guess.

I bet it would really rock her world if you came by her work place with a bit of chocolate and a little bouquet of flowers.(along with that lunch--pizza maybe?)  I'd venture a guess that the gals (and guys) would be happy too. Maybe when they see that you're as real as can be, they'll cut her some slack, giving her a little more time off! They are really strict that way--my wife had to quit her job with Coca Cola to get weeks off--they know there's always a ton of people ready to take any job.

Anyway, you guys look and sound like a lovely couple. She's also a pretty lady, with a kind look about her.

Enjoy!

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
Not lactose intolerant as far as I know, she drinks milk in the morning at times.  ;D

We're just relaxing right now and both working during the day. We talked last night though that Thursday evening we're going to go to Lantaw around 5pm for dinner and watch the sunset. Will also be my first adventure for local cuisine, told her she can pick what we eat and I'll try anything at least once.

Then Friday evening it's boat and bus to Davao for the weekend!

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
Not lactose intolerant as far as I know, she drinks milk in the morning at times.  ;D

We're just relaxing right now and both working during the day. We talked last night though that Thursday evening we're going to go to Lantaw around 5pm for dinner and watch the sunset. Will also be my first adventure for local cuisine, told her she can pick what we eat and I'll try anything at least once.

Then Friday evening it's boat and bus to Davao for the weekend!

Oh Boy! Good luck...

Most Filipino food is tasty but there are a few things that could gag a maggot. This is when that little bottle of Tabasco sauce in your pocket could save your life!

If you like seafood, my favorite place in Cebu is Seafood City Restaurant in Lahug. If it's still there, I recommend it. It's a little pricey, so I wouldn't take a large crowd, but it's perfect for two.

A unique dining experience where these hot chicks (shopping helpers) help you select your meal items in a small grocery-store type setting. Then you bring your little shopping cart to a table in the dining area, where a cook from the kitchen comes to find out how you would like your seafood and other items prepared.

Try it...

Ray

Offline thekfc

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 06:58:48 AM »
And if you don't have Tabasco sauce (which one of the top choices), get yourself a small bottle of Sriracha sauce. Sriracha sauce is the one with the rooster on the bottle (wonder why they call it rooster sauce  ::) ) and it should be readily available in the Philippines as it originated from Thailand. I would say try every almost everything - there will sure to be a few things that you like as well as dislike (I know I did).  :-X

And if you go for ketchup then there are a few choice to try beside the regular tomato ketchup - banana ketchup, mango ketchup, pineapple ketchup and apple ketchup.  ;)
I did see mushroom ketchup in a store in HK - not sure if it is available in the PI.

There are also plenty of sauces to try - I usually go for the ones mixed with Calamansi.

There are a few things that I did stay away from/didn't try - mainly balut, day old chick and patis as a dipping sauce (though I eat food cook with it - I just cannot use it as a dipping sauce as my wife does).

Enjoy the food and eat, eat, eat. ;D ;D ;D

Offline thekfc

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
CG, you are not the only American currently getting a ride on the "local" transportation - not sure if he bump his head.  ;D

Here is Vin Diesel riding the Jeepney yesterday in Taguig City (my wife's hometown). Some of the cast & crew members of "F & F 6" are in Manila for the premier.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
Yea, we were watching the news last night and saw Vin Diesel here in the Philippines. I was trying to get a laugh out of the siblings again and was saying. They didn't know but I was secretly here to find a good Jeepney for him to ride and also that I was in their latest movie.  8)

It's different for him though having the entire thing to himself. What fun is that?  ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

Offline thekfc

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
Yea, we were watching the news last night and saw Vin Diesel here in the Philippines. I was trying to get a laugh out of the siblings again and was saying. They didn't know but I was secretly here to find a good Jeepney for him to ride and also that I was in their latest movie.  8)

It's different for him though having the entire thing to himself. What fun is that?  ;D
When I am in the PI, I tell the kids that I am Kobe's shorter brother or Denzel Washington's sexy younger brother.  8)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »
To give uninitiated viewers a sense of how many things in the Philippines seem to be 'three quarter scale size' compared to things in the USA (like toilets), Vin Diesel is said to be 5'11 tall.  Note how it's impossible for him to sit in a fully, 'normal' upright position in that jeepney.

If anything, hollywood and publicists tend to inflate  how tall an actor really is, so you might imagine how a long ride in a hot, crowded jeepney might be!

And as jeepney's go, that's a pretty cushy one!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467