It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: 2 month stay in Manila  (Read 2282 times)

Offline andrewa_72

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
2 month stay in Manila
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:34:20 AM »
Hi all,
I am planning a 2 month stay in Manila early next with my girl. We have already met this year and have been chatting online for several months.
Anyway any info regarding condo rentals would be great.  Just browsing the net i see that there are many available all over Manila, but i am looking at Makati.
Any recommendations etc would be great. What sort of price am I looking at for a decent modern clean condo in a nice area. She will of course be viewing the condo before i arrive.
Cheers guys

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: 2 month stay in Manila
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:53:04 AM »
Makati is the financial capital of the Philippines. Just about all the various embassies, international banks, business and the likes are located in Makati, so renting a condo in Makati would be expensive - especially on the western section. Depending on the location, it could easily run you between $2K USD to $3K USD (or more) a month.

It would be cheaper to rent a house or an apartment -  on my January trip in 2010, I paid about $300/month for a 2 bedroom house in Taguig City (south east of Makati) - furnished with A/C.
Have your girl inquire about houses/apts in a nice area AND it would be cheaper renting from within the country than from the outside.

An other option is to not rent a location just yet but pick few candidates,  book a hotel to stay in for a few days, then go to each location to have a first hand view and choose one to your liking.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:56:09 AM by thekfc »
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
Parts of Pasig and Pasay are also relatively nice and aren't too far from the places you'll probably be going to, including Makati.

Rental rates will be cheaper and public transportation readily available thereabouts, although especially at peak times, don't expect to get anywhere fast--Manila's currently listed as the most densley populated city on planet earth. Combine all the people, pollution and the use of leaded gas, and it can get pretty grimey. I'd plan some trips outside the town--Baguio, Subic--even Cebu City and it's outter regions by air isn't too far or too expensive and the break from Manila mania may be welcome.

You'll most certainly get a much better rate if you have a Filipino friend take care of the arrangements, if that's feasible, but you probably know that already.
If you're going to be carrying a lot of cash and credit cards around Manila, I'd advise going by Triple A auto or a dept. store and picking up a cotton money belt for under your jeans, using that and just keeping a couple thousand pesos in a wallet, tops. I always secure my passport and retain paper copies too.
I've never been robbed, but my wife has family in Makati and while it's generally safe, even they are very careful.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:06:29 AM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats