It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Putting mother in law on a plane  (Read 19827 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Putting mother in law on a plane
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 07:38:50 AM »

No doctor in the USA that Pete talked to....would do the surgery.

And Pete talked to quite a few doctors in Cali before he found one willing to do it.

In the end reconnecting his large intestine to his damaged paper thin colon was suicide. And not a good way to go out.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-and-worst-states-to-give-birth-usa-today-investigation/

If you have good health insurance in Colombia...you will have access to hospitals that are on average better than in the USA.

There are some cutting edge treatments for cancer and other conditions that the US is better at....but on average if you have access to the best hospitals in Colombia then you are doing better than the average american when it comes to health care.

The way in which most nations measure their infant mortality rate and their health, medical care overall, varies widely. Even in the USA, infant mortality is much, much higher amongst poorer people, because they also consider a period of time that's after the child leaves the hospital--home care--really the lack thereof. 

In  nations like Finland and Austria, even the poorest Mother's infants have a fantastically high survival rate--it's about the same regardless of income there.

Some, especially southern US states, have horrific rates, but again, it typically correlates with income and other socio-economic demographics.

Better Healthcare for those with the most money is probably more common than we think in most places.

There's a lot of different charts done up in different ways, and I don't know why the USA's CIA collects data on it, but for 2017, it had the USA's infant mortality rate at 5.8 per 100K and Colombia at 13.6.

Some nations have an infant mortality rate well under half of the USA's. As the world's wealthiest nation, that's a damn shame.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2091.html

But most of us aren't having babies abroad.  What might be a better question for most of the guys here is: Would you rather deal with a heart attack,  cancer,  most common ailments requiring hospitalization and various surgeries here or 'there'?

I'd rather take my chances right here.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 08:22:59 AM »
And some guys still wanna drag some womans a$$ back to the US..

I'd have to agree with you....just another reason not to. The average Colombiana especially are too comfortable with lying if there's something to gain. I found Brazilians Girls to be much more honest and in touch with their conscience. Probably still wouldn't bring one to the states to live permanently though.

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »

Looks like someone needs to buy a ticket to Medellin. jajaja

But safety can be an issue if you don't know what you are doing here.

Hey Calipro, 

Are you now retired and living in Medellin full-time?

If so, besides being a great daddy, how are you occuppying your time there?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2018, 11:23:55 AM »

Hey Calipro, 

Are you now retired and living in Medellin full-time?

If so, besides being a great daddy, how are you occuppying your time there?

I haven't retired yet but I can leave any day a want. I'm still on the books as they say.

I'm making it a point to not stay in Colombia for more than 183 days in a years time.
For tax reasons.

But I plan on living in Medellin full time next year.

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

I haven't retired yet but I can leave any day a want. I'm still on the books as they say.

I'm making it a point to not stay in Colombia for more than 183 days in a years time.
For tax reasons.

But I plan on living in Medellin full time next year.

Got it.....wondering again...what do you do to occupy your time there when not busy with daddy duties?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 12:47:11 AM »

Got it.....wondering again...what do you do to occupy your time there when not busy with daddy duties?

Almost all of my time is spent with my girlfriend and or her family. But things will change when I have a place of my own.

I purchased a new car here with a credit card....didn't even know that was possible until recently.
Opened a brokerage account here that really has no limits on wiring money into Colombia. BanColombia limits me to 7K a month.

Talked to a number of lawyers about the new tax laws affecting foreigners and their worldwide income. The laws are basically unenforceable and according to the lawyers no attempt has been made to enforce the new tax laws yet. But I heard that that Colombia is going to start asking pensionados to prove they filed their taxes before renewing their visas. Who knows if it is true though.

Inheritance laws are quite different then the US. Not much point in having a Will really because you can only WILL up to 25% of your assets to someone else other than your children. By Colombian law 75% of your assets must go to your children.

Also for tax purposes everyone is responsible for their own income tax even if they are married.

I don't know if anyone is interested in buying property in Colombia. But Colombians have a common practice of putting much lower sells price on the sells contract than the actual sells price to lower the the capital gains tax for the seller and lower the property tax for the buyer. 

But if you bring the funds from the states and register the money with a form 4..... the government sometimes checks to make sure that the funds registered with the form 4 are actually invested the way they said they were going to be. So if you brought in all of your money and used a form 4 to purchase a property and then listed a price on the sells contract that is less. There could be a potential problem for you later on down the road.

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2018, 07:09:54 AM »

I purchased a new car here with a credit card....didn't even know that was possible until recently.
Opened a brokerage account here that really has no limits on wiring money into Colombia. BanColombia limits me to 7K a month.

So by opening a brokerage account in Colombia you can now wire money to that account from the states and what are the overall charges to wire for example 50K?  100K USD?  Once the money is in the Colombian system is it now pesos, and pretty much free and clear money to do whatever the owner of that money wants in terms of housing, investments? 

I don't know if anyone is interested in buying property in Colombia. But Colombians have a common practice of putting much lower sells price on the sells contract than the actual sells price to lower the the capital gains tax for the seller and lower the property tax for the buyer. 

Interesting.  So if a property is bought for lets say 100k, the paperwork shows 75k, how does the seller receive payment for the additional 25k that he is actually selling the property for?

Thanks for bringing this subject up and generously giving the info.

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Calipro

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
So by opening a brokerage account in Colombia you can now wire money to that account from the states and what are the overall charges to wire for example 50K?  100K USD?  Once the money is in the Colombian system is it now pesos, and pretty much free and clear money to do whatever the owner of that money wants in terms of housing, investments? 

Interesting.  So if a property is bought for lets say 100k, the paperwork shows 75k, how does the seller receive payment for the additional 25k that he is actually selling the property for?

Thanks for bringing this subject up and generously giving the info.

Fathertime!

I don't have the paper work in front of me but I believe the charges to transfer money is .4 percent for under 50K, .3 percent for over 50k and .2 percent for over one million dollars.

you actually wire the money to a US bank account and they keep it in that account until you tell them to transfer the money to your Colombian account. You pick the day.....as long as they get the order before noon you transfer will get the exchange rate of that day.

Once the money is in your Colombian account you can do what you want with it.

When buying the house there is what is called a compra venta contract which is basically just a sells contract between the buyer and seller stating the REAL sells price, the deposit paid and the date you will pay the balance and transfer title.

When you go to register the sell with the state to transfer the title you will just record a lower sells price than you actually paid but more than what the seller recorded when he purchased the property.

I haven't done it yet but that is my understanding of how it works.

Offline buenopues4

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »
I bought a finca in 2004 and the real estate value for tax purposes was vastly under the purchase price. That went along fine for years until a few years ago the municipio jacked up the value and predial (real estate tax) fourfold the excuse being it hadn't been properly adjusted for many years. Not just me it was across the board.

Are you saying below that US pensionados must prove we've filed our US income tax or that we must declarer renta in Colombia in order to renew our resident visas. Also I heard (not confirmed) that you can receive credit for US income tax paid towards your Declaration de Renta debt but will still be taxed some amount in Colombia over and above US tax paid. What do you know about that?

" I heard that that Colombia is going to start asking pensionados to prove they filed their taxes before renewing their visas. Who knows if it is true though.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:47:29 PM by buenopues4 »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »
I bought a finca in 2004 and the real estate value for tax purposes was vastly under the purchase price. That went along fine for years until a few years ago the municipio jacked up the value and predial (real estate tax) fourfold the excuse being it hadn't been properly adjusted for many years. Not just me it was across the board.

Are you saying below that US pensionados must prove we've filed our US income tax or that we must declarer renta in Colombia in order to renew our resident visas. Also I heard (not confirmed) that you can receive credit for US income tax paid towards your Declaration de Renta debt but will still be taxed some amount in Colombia over and above US tax paid. What do you know about that?

" I heard that that Colombia is going to start asking pensionados to prove they filed their taxes before renewing their visas. Who knows if it is true though.

This is only a wild rumor started by some other guy on another Colombian Expat Forum.

Absolutly no basis in truth. I just got my 3 year done 2 months ago.

At anyrate, you are not requiered to fill out a "Declaration de Renta " until you have been here more than 183 days in 365 in Colombia or have income in Colombia.

This is totally independiente of the visa process.

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2018, 06:18:36 PM »
Well if it were true it would certainly be an effective way of forcing foreigners to expose their income in turn subjecting them to the Declaration de Renta requirement in Colombia. And to clarify for you we are talking about people with resident visas not visitors like yourself so obviously they will be in the country for more than 180 days in the year and obviously subject to Declaration De Renta.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 09:12:58 PM »
The USA's fed and state govts are already doing a great job of keeping most of my income. Even though if I wanted to, I could return and work part or full time after sitting out six months, the job I just retired from paid me two and a half months severance pay.

Almost half went to taxes. Unfrickin real, although they used to go well north of 40% on overtime, so I should of known. Then, almost everything I buy with what's left to survive, is taxed at least 7%., so I was paying over 50% almost all along, plus insurances, FICA, etc.

We do keep a house abroad for which we pay (nominally compared to in the USA) taxes on, but having a second nation digging into my pocket sounds less than appealing right now....

Our house overseas was sold to us and appraised in a way favorable to us financially, but that could change.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2018, 12:36:54 AM »

Yes I heard that Colombia is going to start asking pensionados to show that they filed declarer renta in Colombia before renewing their visas. Pensionados have to prove they enough income to become a pensionado so it seems like an easy place to start. But I have no idea if it is true.

Yes you get credit for the taxes you paid in the U.S. and can deduct whatever you paid to the US from you tax bill in Colombia.... but taxes are higher on average in Colombia and pensions and social security are considered taxable income. So it is very unfavorable. But you would have to pay a colombian tax guy to find out for sure what it would come to.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2018, 12:36:54 AM »

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 06:08:29 AM »
The monthly income limit at which one has to declarar has been reduced this year to $2'750.000 but won't be taxed until it reaches $3'000.000. Regarding pensionados I'm seeing that up to a little under $32'000.000 (a year) won't be taxed but anything over that will.

https://www.gerencie.com/pensiones-exentas-de-renta-en-colombia.html

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »

Yes I heard that Colombia is going to start asking pensionados to show that they filed declarer renta in Colombia before renewing their visas. Pensionados have to prove they enough income to become a pensionado so it seems like an easy place to start. But I have no idea if it is true

I will believe it when I see it.

I have also never heard of a case of an Expat living in Colombia having his Colombian house or Bank account siezed by DIAN for not paying tax on US earned income. 
Maybe everyone is 100% compliant ;D ;D ;) ::)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:22:43 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2018, 11:36:55 AM »
I will believe it when I see it.

I have also never heard of a case of an Expat living in Colombia having his Colombian house or Bank account siezed by DIAN for not paying tax on US earned income. 
Maybe everyone is 100% compliant ;D ;D ;) ::)

Neither has any of the lawyers I talked to.

According to them..... DIAN is just now starting to compile the information.

Gringos have two things going against them. They list a source and an amount of income to get a pensionado visa and they often record the actual sells price of real estate to qualify for an investors visa.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
The monthly income limit at which one has to declarar has been reduced this year to $2'750.000 but won't be taxed until it reaches $3'000.000. Regarding pensionados I'm seeing that up to a little under $32'000.000 (a year) won't be taxed but anything over that will.

https://www.gerencie.com/pensiones-exentas-de-renta-en-colombia.html

yes that is true.

But the tax rate goes up from 10 percent after that all the way up to 33 percent rather quickly.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 01:23:10 PM »

Gringos have two things going against them. They list a source and an amount of income to get a pensionado visa and they often record the actual sells price of real estate to qualify for an investors visa.

Not only do they have to get visa información off of Migraciones, they have to go through all the pasaport información from Migracions to Confirm you   have been in the country for 183 days in 365.  If you have a visa, does not necesarily mean you are a resident for tax purposes . I know guys who are citizens but do not qualify as tax residents.

Quite a lot of.work to go through for tens (maybe
hundreds) of thousands of Colombians with assets overseas and  foreign expats, espescially for a disorqanized and lazy organization like DIAN.

Not to mention the market reacion when they start the process.

You will hear the sucking sound of money leaving the country when they embargo property of the first foreigner and everyone hears about it.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »

Not only do they have to get visa información off of Migraciones, they have to go through all the pasaport información from Migracions to Confirm you   have been in the country for 183 days in 365.  If you have a visa, does not necesarily mean you are a resident for tax purposes . I know guys who are citizens but do not qualify as tax residents.

How hard could it be to figure out if you have been in Colombia 183 days out of the last 365?

I mean even if there wasn’t a computerized record ....they will still have your passport in their hand when you try to renew your visa

I sincerely doubt that DIAN will try to catch everybody that doesn’t pay taxes
But wii randomly enforce their tax code just like they randomly enforce all their laws  jajajaj

But it does seem to me that some gringos will be low hanging fruit that they could easily grab

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 06:56:05 PM »
How hard could it be to figure out if you have been in Colombia 183 days out of the last 365?

I mean even if there wasn’t a computerized record ....they will still have your passport in their hand when you try to renew your visa

I sincerely doubt that DIAN will try to catch everybody that doesn’t pay taxes
But wii randomly enforce their tax code just like they randomly enforce all their laws  jajajaj

But it does seem to me that some gringos will be low hanging fruit that they could easily grab

Yeah.. the ones with property or bank accounts that can be embargoed.

By the way..they do have a physical récord of everyone when they come and leaves Colombia..time, date and flight.
I have seen it. There can be a few minor error , but mostly accurate. Suposedly goes back 10 years.

But this is all th property of Migraciones.. not DIAN.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »

Yeah.. the ones with property or bank accounts that can be embargoed.

By the way..they do have a physical récord of everyone when they come to and leave Colombia..time, date and flight.
I have seen it. There can be a few minor error , but mostly accurate. Suposedly goes back 10 years.

But this is all th property of Migraciones.. not DIAN.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
It's a little weird making a post and then right below it, reposting that post in quote form...

But 'weird' isn't unusual here--A while back, after not hearing from Gato in months, I sent him a PM, asking, half in jest: "Hey, are you dead?" (He'd been having some seemingly not life threatening health issues) and I never heard back...

Hope the perienial "One trip, one woman" guy is OK!

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2018, 07:33:23 PM »
It's a little weird making a post and then right below it, reposting that post in quote form...

But 'weird' isn't unusual here--A while back, after not hearing from Gato in months, I sent him a PM, asking, half in jest: "Hey, are you dead?" (He'd been having some seemingly not life threatening health issues) and I never heard back...

Hope so too

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2018, 07:33:23 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2018, 08:30:10 AM »

What do you expect working on an iPhone on this site.

I have no idea what happened. Sure dont do it on purpose. No big deal

Offline vikingo

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »

Like Calipro says, when renewing a retirement visa Migraciòn may have to report an expat to DIAN if the amount on the retirement or social security income statement exceeds a certain amount, in other words if the retirees income subjects him to declare taxes.
If they aren't doing it now it is sure to come.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 02:30:16 PM by vikingo »
Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 293