It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Why So Much Colombia?  (Read 26619 times)

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Why So Much Colombia?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 07:47:38 AM »
Well, rivardco, Colombia may be the happy hunting grounds for many of the guys on this board, but I'd wager a bet that there are far more Mexican/American marriages than Colombian/American - just because of the sheer numbers and proximity.

I've never felt hated anywhere in Latin America - a bit of discomfort by some maybe, but that usually evaporated instantly when I started speaking Spanish. Latin Americans are mostly happy go lucky, friendly and willing to express their emotions. Of course, like anywhere, there are sociopaths and neer-do-wells, but in general, they're about as far from being uptight as you can get.

Offline catz

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 08:51:03 AM »
Gentlemen,

This topic has been cleaned up and your spat has been moved to the Flame Room. DO NOT pollute this thread (or any thread for that matter) with more of this nonsense.

Feel free to continue your fight in the Flame Room.

Thank you

Offline Zon

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »
I took advice and joined Colombian Cupid (notice he spelling)

Why does a disproportionate amount of my "Matches" contain no photo?

If a woman is attractive, she would use that to gain interest  ....  No es verdad?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 12:40:28 PM »
I took advice and joined Colombian Cupid (notice he spelling)

Why does a disproportionate amount of my "Matches" contain no photo?

If a woman is attractive, she would use that to gain interest  ....  No es verdad?

I assume Colombiancupid is set up the same as latinamericancupid....

I search for "photos" profile only with my search critieria and sort them by most recent log in...this will filter out women's profiles that are inactive...you should be buried in prospects within a few months....

I sort out my prospects by
Does she have access to a computer daily?
Does she have high speed internet access?  (yahoo, skype, msn users for voice, webcam) 
does she have a cell phone that you can call her on when she is not by the computer?
if she has all this but no webcam, then she should pay for an internet cafe session with webcam after the two of you get to know each other. 

If you have several webcam sessions with them it's almost as good as one or two dates, without the alcohol and without having to leave a tip.  Plus, the more frequent the conversations, you can test her if she will ask her for money or if she has "bad days" .....

They had to ace all this criteria before I would put her on the list to visit after buying a plane ticket.  I'm sure you'll have your own criteria as well, but these have worked for me. 

DayTrader

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Offline Zon

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »
Excellente DT!

And DAMN Boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand why so much Colombia NOW ...

I confess that I am not as mature and enlightened as others.  I am a man that thinks with my eyes first, then goes into inner conflict long enough to ... you know. Some of these women are crazy beautiful. No doubt.

With such motivation I could easily accelerate my Spanish studies.

Offline Miguel_

• Probie
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »
I've never felt hated anywhere in Latin America - a bit of discomfort by some maybe, but that usually evaporated instantly when I started speaking Spanish. Latin Americans are mostly happy go lucky, friendly and willing to express their emotions. Of course, like anywhere, there are sociopaths and neer-do-wells, but in general, they're about as far from being uptight as you can get.

Jeff, Try this.  When you're in a taxi or just talking to people pretend like you're from another country (besides the U.S.) and ask them about what they think about estadounidenses.  Don't appear like you're either pro or anti American.  What you'll hear will be enlightening.  I've done this because of a Mexican girlfriend that got a peverse kick out of hearing people slam my paisanos.   

I think most Colombians do genuinely like Americans, and I've only had problems once, and that was with a drunk sociopath.  In Mexico and Argentina I have encountered some hostility, but not much.  There are Mexicans who just don't like people from the U.S.  And there are Argentines that don't like people from anywhere but Argentina.  I think you're right though, most latin Americans are friendly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:24:15 PM by Miguel_ »

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »
Excellente DT!

And DAMN Boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand why so much Colombia NOW ...

I confess that I am not as mature and enlightened as others.  I am a man that thinks with my eyes first, then goes into inner conflict long enough to ... you know. Some of these women are crazy beautiful. No doubt.

With such motivation I could easily accelerate my Spanish studies.

Oh God..this brings back memories in Cali !!  I am an Old Fart looking for someone in their mid to late 30's...One of the other guys met a 25 yr old lady who had her own "fashion" business...I think she sold handbags and accessories at her own boutique...and she wanted kids eventually...she came with her Mom (I liked that) to meet her guy at the agency for the first time. 

I was totally smitten but two decades past...If I was in my mid 30's or late 30's I would have jumped at the chance to get to know her and her familia better.  She seemed mature and knew what she wanted yet was humble and willing to learn.  I felt I could leave her with the checkbook for the month and all the bills would be paid on time and she would find a way to save some money for a rainy day. 

I don't know what your age range is or if you are interested in starting a family..but the prospects are almost endless if you have time, an open mind, some spanish and are a gentleman. 

DayTrader

P.S. Looks like the Dow is really trying to make a higher bottom...it will be interesting if today's low can hold through the week. 

Offline dennislevy

• pick a realistic goal and do it.
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »
Rivardco:

it was good to talk with you yesterday.  You're on the learning curve.  

if you decide to go to a city in Colombia without an agency, for say a week, IMHO, you will need about 10-15 decent prospects from the web sites (Colombian Cupid, Amigos, etc).  But, if possible make them come to you, to your hotel lobby, don't meet them in a mall or in a restautrant, unless its a restaurant that is convenient for you.  its better to throw a girl 10,000 COP (5 bucks)  for a cab ride then to have a no show   Why 10-15?  Some won't pan out, some may flat out no show you, etc.  They may be walk into the meeting place, wearing a pair of sunglasses, look at you and decide they don' t want to meet you.  

Most guys on this board would agree that the younger they are, the higher odds that they won't show.  before communicating with them, I would look at age and occupation as an indication if they will keep their appointments, for a first cita off a dating web site.  i would prefer a 38 year old lawyer over a 24 year fashion design student, actress, model, university student  any day of the week."  

Everyone has their own ways of sorting them out, Daytrader's process with web cams, etc. makes sense.  This is a game that is huge fun, trying to find great women without spending boatloads of money.    

If you decide to use an agency, someone suggested an agency owned by an American.  I would amend that slightly.   I think the best case scenario for a first time agency client is an agency where the American is at the agency every day--and is willing to be "hands on." Most American men need a sounding board, a counselor, someone who understands how American men think, who can listen to them and be honest with them about the women they are choosing for citas.  

With very few exceptions (and they are on the fingers of one hand with a few fingers left over), Colombian agency owners and reps don't understand how American men think and your interests are not their interests.   if you decide to use 'that American in daily residence" as a criteria  then the list of agencies in Colombia gets shortened very quickly.

Keep posting and doing your research.

I'll be in Bogota for 3-6 weeks starting on May 12 If you're in Bogota, want to hook up, let me know.

Dennis

Offline Zon

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »
I will share another reason why Colombia is so popular ...

I have been a member of Russianlovematch  and ElanasModels in the past.

I could find very beautiful, very high quality girls on both sites for sure.

But the volume of response I received in the last 24 hour hours is 10 x what I received from either of the above mentioned sites?!?!? AND one of the more attractive ladies is located less hn 30 minutes from me (beginners luck)

I just think its right to contribute experience as much as take it.

Will keep you posted.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »
I have encountered anti-American attitudes in Mexico but not in Colombia although I am sure it's there. I would say you are far more likely to encounter such feelings in Mexico.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 05:45:34 AM »
Hey Rivardco- did you ever end up going to Russia to meet one of those contacts? I seem to remember the RWD membership jumping you pretty hard for spending years in the preparation phase but never going through with an actual trip.

Is it safe to say that you will be traveling to South America in the near future?
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline Zon

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 06:45:52 AM »
W3 - Nope. Never WENT to Russia.  I was lucky to have a little piece of Russia sent to me:)

The reason I entered the discussion was because of a FSU girl I was already dating in the US.  That was a hot and cold relationship for about a year and a half. I did date several other FSU ladies but all where already in the US.  The guys at RWD did not want to hear any of this BLA BLA BLA

At RWD, like here I presume, people develop stereo-types.  I found RWD days after a 13 year relationship.  I understand I came off as an injured, indecisive, kind of fish.  If I was; I ain't now.  I have spent the first 80 days of this year out of the country in Central America and the Caribbean.  I was traveling often to this area even when I was on RWD. 

I could never get past the "travel half way around the world to find your wife in 7 days" proposition.  I find Central and South American "bridgeable"  Closer, less expensive, easier culture to understand and participate.

Additionally, I know first hand the Russian ladies (generally speaking) are incredibly objective oriented.   I think I am a cool guy who can look through the BS to determine what a ladies inner motives are.  I was surprised in these areas by my past relationship with FSU ladies. So, I accepted a "Caveat Emptor" label. That pealed away most of the gloss and allure of Russian Ladies for me.  Besides, I see FSU ladies in my new line of work.  Beautiful, but a handful.

I started a new business in the DR.  Some Dominican ladies are as beautiful and beautiful gets ... very pleasing.  BUT a little too simple / primitive to take seriously.

BTW - EVERYONE GETS SLAMMED ON RWD. I have been fortunate to make several good freinds in real life through the board, but even they don't get along from one post to the other.  Perhaps the Russian tendancy to be stubborn and argue has worn off on them without even knowing.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:25:12 AM by rivardco »

Offline catz

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
BTW - EVERYONE GETS SLAMMED ONE RWD. I have been fortunate to make several good freinds in real life through the board, but even they don't get along from one post to the other.  Perhaps the Russian tendancy to be stubborn and argue has worn off on them without even knowing.

Sounds just like Planet Love...  ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »

Offline Zon

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »
Some Follow-up ...

Does Colombian and Latin American Cupid web sites differ in content? They appear to be the same originating source.

A high adventuring friend of mind refused my recent idea to go to Colombia with me.  "What are you crazy?"  Read the State Department's page. (This guy traveled deep in Eastern Europe in the early 90s and Central America widely.)  I just read the State Departement's Travel warning - does not exactly give an endorsement.

Are we sure we are not getting pussystruck?

Continuing to look for a solution ... what are the best options for air travel throughout South America?  Are the quotes we receive from US IP addresses different from non US IP addresses  - they seem high?

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »
Some Follow-up ...

Does Colombian and Latin American Cupid web sites differ in content? They appear to be the same originating source.

A high adventuring friend of mind refused my recent idea to go to Colombia with me.  "What are you crazy?"  Read the State Department's page. (This guy traveled deep in Eastern Europe in the early 90s and Central America widely.)  I just read the State Departement's Travel warning - does not exactly give an endorsement.

Are we sure we are not getting pussystruck?

Continuing to look for a solution ... what are the best options for air travel throughout South America?  Are the quotes we receive from US IP addresses different from non US IP addresses  - they seem high?

..you can sign up for a free profile listing on latinamericancupid.com  and do a search - you will probably see lots more listings from other countries, maybe Peru and Costa Rica will be more frequent than the colombian site. 

If you're worried about security (which you should not be) then I would go on an agency tour for a week and learn the ropes.  Once there, find a driver/translator for your next trip, scope out the hotels and which side of town you want to stay on.  Using a regular driver that owns his own car avoids maybe 90% of the risk of robbery; staying at a good hotel and having a chaperone/group knocks it down another 8%....the typical robbery occurs with the taxi driver complicit in the crime.  Kidnapping risk should be almost nonexistent if you just follow basic rules, and have your own driver.  Bogota is MUCH SAFER than it was 8 years ago when I was last there...you can Google it!

Bogota has it's better areas and areas you stay out of (same with Cali)  - your driver and/or agency guide will know all this stuff.  Keep in mind, you will not get ANY encouragement from anyone in America to go to Colombia...if you are not prepared to make your own decision in this matter,  then South America is not for you...maybe Costa Rica instead. 

If you have talked to Dennis and feel this way, then I guess Dennis needs to go back to classes Closing Agency Suckers 102 through 104...I'm really disappointed in you Dennis!  YEEE HAWWW !! (two in one day, and the Dow up 300+ points, one helluva day!). 

Air Travel tips:

www.bookingbuddy.com

From the west coast, I used Continental via their Houston hub to get to SA;  from the east coast, typically you route thru Miami and then Avianca.  Use LAN for Peru, I believe.  BookingBuddy will make it easy, all the search engines are in one place and you don't have to re-enter your search critieria.  Once you find an airline you like, you can abandon bookingbuddy.com and just use the specific website for the airline (like Avianca).  Check the Avianca website to look at their hubs in North America (see link below).

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Latin_America/Avianca.shtml

There are restrictions on purchase of airline tickets originating in the USA (I believe)...plus the currency conversion issue...you're stuck, you will have to buy the ticket either directly from the airline or from a American IP address/US airline portal...nice try through!

DayTrader

EDIT:  American Airlines also has Bogota flight crews...you can fly to Bogota on American Airlines...that might be the easiest ---  getting a separate flight to Miami then Miami to Bogota/Peru/Costa Rica is the fastest way to find your choices on www.bookingbuddy.com   -- I fly Spriit airlines nonstop from FLL to Costa Rica...awesome...and almost everyone on the dang plane is American!! The only downside is you don't have the tall Avianca Stewardesses....they put to shame 90% of American flight attendants!. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:57:03 AM by daytrader »

Offline Zon

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »
Over the next four months, I will likely spend 50% of my time in Punta Cana and Samana Dominican Republic.  I could go to Bogota from Punta Cana, or Santa Domingo - or have a special girl come to me?

I wonder how the air quotes would differ?  (I think I will check ... dahhhh)

Again, I'm not a puss.  I travel all by myself where no WHITE gringo ever should go.  Now I have gotten to be known, so even the bad guys know I am an amigo of an amigo. 

I will not have this cover in Colombia for sure; and I am likely not to use an agency either (still deciding).

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2008, 12:51:30 PM »
Over the next four months, I will likely spend 50% of my time in Punta Cana and Samana Dominican Republic.  I could go to Bogota from Punta Cana, or Santa Domingo - or have a special girl come to me?

I wonder how the air quotes would differ?  (I think I will check ... dahhhh)

Again, I'm not a puss.  I travel all by myself where no WHITE gringo ever should go.  Now I have gotten to be known, so even the bad guys know I am an amigo of an amigo. 

I will not have this cover in Colombia for sure; and I am likely not to use an agency either (still deciding).

Bogota is a real big town...I'd talk to Jim at LLM and fly down for a 2 or 3 days to get a overview, hook up with a driver..then work your website leads...I am sure he'd accommodate you at his hotel and make available some of his staff to guide you on an hourly basis. 

Once you build a network of a couple guys and a few women and learn to navigate around town (I think primarily the North side of town  if I remember...) ...your first trip might be all of 7 days and you'd get your feet wet for regular trips on your own. 

That's how I would play it.  Jim might hook you up with other guys he knows of that have a similar strategy as yours also. 

DayTrader

Offline dennislevy

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »

QUOTE FROM DAYTRADER
If you have talked to Dennis and feel this way, then I guess Dennis needs to go back to classes Closing Agency Suckers 102 through 104...I'm really disappointed in you Dennis!  YEEE HAWWW !! (two in one day, and the Dow up 300+ points, one helluva day!).

Daytrader, I like the idea agencies, I think they serve a purpose fro some men.  I have a very good friend who was affiliated with a Bogota agency for sevewral years,  But I do not represent an agency, and if I ever contracted with an agency to represent them, I would change my designation to agency rep/owner.  When I talked with rivardco yesterday, i did not p 

Offline dennislevy

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »
Post continued

push the agencies as the only way for a man to go to Colombia.

Having said all of that, I didn't appreciate the gratuitous slam.

Dennis

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 06:13:48 PM »
QUOTE FROM DAYTRADER

Daytrader, I like the idea agencies, I think they serve a purpose fro some men.  I have a very good friend who was affiliated with a Bogota agency for sevewral years,  But I do not represent an agency, and if I ever contracted with an agency to represent them, I would change my designation to agency rep/owner.  When I talked with rivardco yesterday, i did not ppush the agencies as the only way for a man to go to Colombia.

Having said all of that, I didn't appreciate the gratuitous slam.

Dennis

*** not to hijack this thread but this DOES need to be dealt with (IMO) ***

so you deny every calling LLM website leads?  If LLM gives you a sales lead from their website then you ipso facto are representing LLM, whether you are compensated or not and whether you think so or not. 

The person at the other end of the phone call from you (from a LLM website lead) can logically infer you are calling with the authorization of the agency.  When you called me when I was between relationships you did NOT issue any type of disclaimer, also something that you should clarify on your outbound phone calls and (I think) on this Forum somewhere. 

What I have stated in the previous two paragraphs is indisputable, since I have first hand knowledge of the entire series of events.  If you called me WITHOUT authorization from LLM, then you are in trouble with LLM;  if not, then you called WITH authorization from LLM.  Therefore, you are PR person on behalf of LLM (nothing is wrong with that!) whether you are compensated or not is irrelevant.  LLM should have a disclaimer on their confirming email after a LLM sales lead hits their server to deal with this issue (IMO).   

If you want to debate this further, I would recommend to please PM me...when it is resolved between us we can post a joint message explaining the outcome, so we don't overpopulate the flame room or corrupt this thread. 

DayTrader
// confronting hypocrisy, tone-deafness and assorted maladies on this Planet-Of-Love

now..back to our normally scheduled programming....(sound of NBC Network Peacock tones)

DayTrader
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:26:32 PM by daytrader »

Offline catz

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »
Yes, please take it to PM or just call each other to take care of this. Thread pollution has become a real problem with good information being sidetracked by off topic drifts and fighting.

No worries about the Flame Room though, plenty of room in there for all occasions.

Thanks much.

Offline dennislevy

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2008, 07:06:55 PM »
I appreciate your intervention catz. 

I'm going to put this out in the open.  Stuart picked a fight and I want to respond.

I don't deny anything.  I made calls for LLM for approximately a month as a satisifed and enthusiastic customer, from about Febraury 7 to March 5. As I recall, I didn't give you "a sales pitch". because I knew you were Stuart or daytrader. 

LLM was going through a transition and their regular salesperson was phasing out.  For a bief period of time, I represented LLM (in addition to my regular job) and I made calls to their web site leads.  I didn't push it on this board or publicize it.   

When I spoke with rivardco last night, agencies was only one part of our conversation, I singled out Jamies' agency in baranquilla and I never made any calls for Jamie's agency.  But I highlighted it as an agency that (everyone agreed) gave spectacular service and also that my best friend was an enthusiastic married ex-client. 

What irked me was the phrase "agency suckers." That was an insult to men who are agency clients.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2008, 07:06:55 PM »

Offline catz

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »
From here on out: If this spat continues (don't care what you call it) the posts will be deleted. I won't waste any more time picking through topics to split them out. Take it off line, get over it, or go to the Flame Room. Does not matter which one just make sure it is one of those choices.

Thanks.

Offline Zon

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2008, 07:59:23 AM »
You know I have never used an agency, but I would.

Something I have learned and I will offer it here. This interest / adventure creates opinions in men that become too strong (for self affirmation I think).  At the end of the day, it is wise to believe there is more than one way.  It is wise to loosen up and not get too pissed if you waste a little money or a little time.

There is more we share in common, than we differ

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864