It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself  (Read 15353 times)

Offline Dough333

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:06:16 PM »
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to drop in and say hi.  I am 35 and live in Phoenix, AZ.  Decided to try out the international dating scene in July. Met a girl and started talking to exclusively right away but after a few months that didn't work out. Met another wonderful girl and I am travelling to meet her in two weeks. I'm extremely excited and I think I have all of my i's dotted and t's crossed.

Any last second advice?

Offline AndyLee

• Trips: Resident
Re: Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 12:20:36 PM »
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to drop in and say hi.  I am 35 and live in Phoenix, AZ.  Decided to try out the international dating scene in July. Met a girl and started talking to exclusively right away but after a few months that didn't work out. Met another wonderful girl and I am travelling to meet her in two weeks. I'm extremely excited and I think I have all of my i's dotted and t's crossed.

Any last second advice?
I wish you good luck on your upcoming trip, and congratulations on getting started in international dating.
I am curious about many things to do with international dating and you, for example;
Why did you decide to go international?
Where did you start? online? Cupid sites?
What are your impressions so far?
How much are you planning to spend in your trip to meet just one woman?
Do you speak Spanish, or does she speak English? How will you communicate without a translator?
These are some of the burning questions that keep me awake at night :)
Seriously, good luck with your trip, and welcome to P-L

If you are unhappy change something. Quit your job. Move. Leave your miserable relationship. Stop making excuses. You are in control.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »

Where are you going Dough?

Ray

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »

Do you speak Spanish, or does she speak English? How will you communicate without a translator?

He posted on Asian forum  lol

Offline Dough333

• Probie
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »
Ahh.. sorry for leaving out so many details :)

I am traveling to the Philippines.

[size=0px]Why did you decide to go international?[/size]

I decided to try out International dating for a few reasons. I wasn't having much luck in the USA. I'm overweight and girls here have a hard time looking past that. I am probably more attractive to international girls because they are more focused on my good qualities like my ability to care, financial stability, non violent, respectful etc..  I also have always been attracted to Asian women so on the physical side it made sense to me.
[/size][size=0px]Where did you start? online? Cupid sites?

I actually started in Cherry Blossom. I met a girl there who I talked with for 3 months. I actually had plans to visit her but had to back out the last second and our relationship crumbled after that. I broke up with her because she just wasn't a happy person ultimately.What are your impressions so far?

So far so good. If you can have patients, not get frustrated with all of the junk then it's okay. It is a little different having a lot of girls who want to talk to you but I have a good idea of what I am looking for and for now I am happy with who I am with.How much are you planning to spend in your trip to meet just one woman?

Yes just one woman. I have been advised by many to talk to and meet a few girls but I just can't wrap my head around that. It seems so dating gamish and it wouldn't allow me to really devote my affection to just one person.

[/size]She speaks english and I'm slowly learning a bit of Tagalog.[/size][size=0px]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Hope that helps :)

Offline Jhengsman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »

She speaks english and I'm slowly learning a bit of Tag
:) alog.[size=0px]
[/size]

Hope that helps
Since the Spanish issue is out of the way good luck to you. Last minute.... get to the airport in time with a passport and credit card that you have informed the issuer that you will be travelling. Everything else is extra.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »

I decided to try out International dating for a few reasons. I wasn't having much luck in the USA. I'm overweight and girls here have a hard time looking past that.

Isn't by going to the gym cheaper for you?

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 04:04:09 PM »

Which part of the Philippines are you going to?

If you haven't already read it, get a copy of Culture Shock! Philippines by Roces (Amazon.com)

Make sure that she has never been married...

Any chance that you may get engaged during your trip and want to file a fiancée visa petition when you return? If so, there are some important documents/evidence that you will need to bring back with you.

Ray

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »

[size=0px]Why did you decide to go international?[/size]

I decided to try out International dating for a few reasons. I wasn't having much luck in the USA. I'm overweight and girls here have a hard time looking past that. I am probably more attractive to international girls because they are more focused on my good qualities like my ability to care, financial stability, non violent, respectful etc..  I also have always been attracted to Asian women so on the physical side it made sense to me.
[/size][size=0px]Where did you start? online? Cupid sites?

I actually started in Cherry Blossom. I met a girl there who I talked with for 3 months. I actually had plans to visit her but had to back out the last second and our relationship crumbled after that. I broke up with her because she just wasn't a happy person ultimately.What are your impressions so far?

So far so good. If you can have patients, not get frustrated with all of the junk then it's okay. It is a little different having a lot of girls who want to talk to you but I have a good idea of what I am looking for and for now I am happy with who I am with.How much are you planning to spend in your trip to meet just one woman?

Yes just one woman. I have been advised by many to talk to and meet a few girls but I just can't wrap my head around that. It seems so dating gamish and it wouldn't allow me to really devote my affection to just one person.

[/size]She speaks english and I'm slowly learning a bit of Tagalog.[/size][size=0px]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Hope that helps :)

OK--for starters, bring tums, toilet tissue and at least chocolate for her and her family.

Nikes, Adidas stuff would be loved, Victoria's Secret, Aeropostale, Hollister etc--trendy stuff you might catch on sale--they probably don't come right out and ask (maybe they do some) but they'll expect you to come bearing gifts from the USA to an extent. Watch your luggage weight though. The US Post Office usually will check your luggage weight beforehand if you ask nicely on a slow day.

No TP aside from hotel and some restaurant bathrooms there--all typically 3/4 scale to USA size--'Comfort rooms'--they're called for some insane reason.

Which part you going to--city--rural--in between?

Figure on cash although credit cards work fine for cash withdrawals and to pay things like hotels or at major retailers. Carry smaller bills & coins always for taxi drivers who never seem to have change when you whip out a 500 or 1000 peso bill for a 100P fare. Tipping is different there--not typically expected, but boy, it makes their day, alright.

Generally $75 to a $100 lets you live large in almost any area there. If you're taking her family and friends all to the beach--resort it would be awesome and you can conceivably run over that amount, but typically it's such a huge delight to them, it makes me feel super good--worth every penny. I am hesitant to let my CC out of my sight overseas. Keep your passport and large sums in a hotel safe deposit box. If it's a lot of money, just send it to me, and I'll take care of it for you. ::)

Bring a camera--your phone might not work over there or be too expensive to call on--go to a pawn shop and for the price of a few calls made on your US phone  over there, you can buy a decent used phone and give it away or sell it back later. Let her negotiate prices--it'll save you money.

Don't over worry--even if worst case scenario you decide to bail out on her, if you get out and about, you'll certainly meet some nice people who want you to have a good impression of their country.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »

And the Elmer's Glue Award for tacky, totally tactless commentary goes toooooo---GATO!  :o

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »
And the Elmer's Glue Award for tacky, totally tactless commentary goes toooooo---GATO!  :o

:D

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
I'd say be yourself but don't be the stereo typical "Ugly American" tourist and explore and experience some new things while your there. Like Robert said though take some tips to not be taken advantage of. Some women may think you have plenty of money while others may thing your a fool getting ripped off. Neither impressions are what you want. Also do not get stuck in "Vacation Mode". Try to give her the impression of what you do at home and what life with you could be expected to be. Do not ignore that little voice in your head. 

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 08:32:47 AM »
On the plane ride there--on the longest, 14 hour or so leg, I usually take some melatonin or whatever to make me take a good long daytime nap. When it's 12 noon here it's midnight there, so adjusting your body clock a bit will help. It's a total flip flop of your body clock. Usually you're kind of geeked up with excitement, maybe some nervousness and it's not as bad going over, but coming back, it'll catch up with you. We typically leave a couple days vacation for when we come back to readjust. If you come home at midnight Sunday and go to work at 8:30 the next Monday morning, you'll be dead in the water.

The sad fact is that even with a Filipinos own family, they often have a misconception that once you go to the USA and have a job, you're rich. And that misconception will apply to you. My wife's family is great about not asking for anything, but just out of common sense, she doesn't talk about income. Even though her parents and siblings are all college graduates and not naĂŻve, they would probably skew it a bit and it'd possibly be taken out of proportion so we don't go there. If you set a precedent, they will expect you to follow it later.

22 or 23 thousand US dollars is a million pesos and very, very few people make anywhere near that sort of money over there and if they do, they're considered 'millionaires'. So if you tell them you make, say 35K a year, their mind will do a quick conversion and perhaps think you're akin to Bill Gates--don't go there.

As Fosgate indicates, keeping money out of the picture as much as possible is good form. It's easy once you get there and most things are relatively inexpensive compared to here, to go a bit crazy. The money looks different, the biggest bill's not much more than $20 US, so it's easy to treat, especially the lower denomination notes, like they're monopoly money and just spend a bit crazily. They will notice.

Pretty much everywhere you go there, stick to bottled water and drink plenty of it.

They will really feel a certain sort of appreciation if you don't act too weird about trying the local foods, but they'll understand if you don't want to go as far as eating balut or durian.

It will mean a great deal to them if you at least attempt to use words like: "Salamat" (Thank you) "Salamat Po"--(Thank you, with an emphasis on respect--usually for elders) Walang Anuman" (You're welcome) "Mabuhay" (greeting) and to a lesser extent nowadays--it's become a bit formal and w/ most everyone speaking English--bye or good bye is fine--but the formal word is "Paalam". Even if you totally screw up pronunciation, unlike the French, they won't let off and instead will almost always think better of you for trying. After all, many of them are nervous about their own English ability at times.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:21:27 AM by robert angel »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 08:32:47 AM »

Offline Dough333

• Probie
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
Thank you all for the great advice.

I will have to add tums and toilet paper to my list. Is toilet paper something I can buy over there at a grocery store or do I need to bring that from home? I am bringing plenty of pasalubong.  I have 8lbs of bagged candy. Mostly hershey kisses, hershey mini bars, reese mini cups, nestle etc... I also am bringing a box of chocolate specifically for her mother along with body lotion and scented hand sanitizer.  I'm specifically bringing her bath and body works lotion, a camera, teddy bear, perfume, victoria secret and other stuff. Basically a gift a day.

My plan is to spend the first 3 days with her and her family. I will be hosting a dinner for her family and I plan on giving them all a gift bag of chocolates, perfume samples, beef jerky etc.

After the first 3 days me and my girlfriend will go to Puerto Galera for a week. A nice relaxing vacation and a chance for us to get to know each other more.

Im going to convert most of the cash into peso. Im not sure the rooms have safes.. is that a concern? Is it safe to keep all of my cash on me?

I don't think I've ever discussed my income with my girlfriend and I've made it very clear I am not a bank. She has never asked me for money so that is a good sign.

Im excited to eat pancit and some other foods but I'll be staying clear of balut. I might try durian.

Im slowly learning my tagalog.  Salamat, Walang Anuman, Matulog Ka Na. Ako si Aron. Kamusta Ka, Mabuti, ikaw. Masaya, Masarap, etc.. slowly learning but I think I will have enough to make an impression.

More advice is more than welcome and thank you for your great help

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »
Hi Dough - Welcome to PL.

I would just like to add the following.

I will have to add tums and toilet paper to my list. Is toilet paper something I can buy over there at a grocery store or do I need to bring that from home? .
Our TP & their are of a different size & quality - theirs are smaller & thinner. And yes you can buy they at just about any supermarket in the PI.

I am bringing plenty of pasalubong.  I have 8lbs of bagged candy. Mostly hershey kisses, hershey mini bars, reese mini cups, nestle etc... I also am bringing a box of chocolate specifically for her mother along with body lotion and scented hand sanitizer.  I'm specifically bringing her bath and body works lotion, a camera, teddy bear, perfume, victoria secret and other stuff. Basically a gift a day.
Try avoid bringing any personal (lingerie, bra, panties, etc,) items. T-shirts & the likes are ok and would make great gifts.

Im going to convert most of the cash into peso. Im not sure the rooms have safes.. is that a concern? Is it safe to keep all of my cash on me?
I wouldn't keep any money in a safe especially when I am out.

It is best to have a CC to pay for the more "expensive" things - hotels, trips, etc, & to take money out as needed.
There are some CC with no foreign transaction fees - Chase Sapphire, Capital One Venture & Quicksilver, Citi ThankYou Prestige are some of the few.

Also be aware that your card may NOT work in a few ATM as some of these ATM only accept "local" card. You may have to go and use an ATM inside a back - there are international banks like Citibank, HSBC, Chase, Bank Of America & Deuthche all have branches in various cities in the PI.

Im excited to eat pancit and some other foods but I'll be staying clear of balut. I might try durian.
You will try Durian but not balut?  :o
Personally, I haven't and will not try either one.  After 5 years, some of my wife's family member are still trying to convince me to try balut.
Also there will be times when you may hear someone shouting baluuuut - that would be someone passing by selling balut.

Try eating (tasting) as many different food as possible and remember the ones you don't like so you repeat eating them.

And bring a bottle of Tabasco or sauce. They do make some dishes taste better.  ;D 

After the first 3 days me and my girlfriend will go to Puerto Galera for a week
You haven't stated what city/area you are going to but since you will be heading to PG for a week that would mean that you be in either Luzon or Visayas. You may be flying into/out of NAIA. It is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Dough333

• Probie
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
I've made to sure to ask to make sure they have ketchup and sauces. I've even went so far as to ask the resort these question.

Sorry.. she lives in Dasmarines City. From what I have researched it is about a 3-4 hour bus ride from there to Batangas Pier and then from Batangas Pier it is about a 1 hour ferry to Puerto Galera.

Outside of her mother I haven't planned to give her other relatives and friends anything beyond chocolates and perfumes/colognes. If I start bringing them tshirts and the likes it gets expensive and takes up on space.

As to my girlfriend, I didn't get her much in clothing outside of Victoria Secret and we have already discussed this. Thankfully she is not really that high maintenance and I plan on going to the mall and taking her shopping before we go to PG to get her a swimsuit, dress etc..

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Outside of her mother I haven't planned to give her other relatives and friends anything beyond chocolates and perfumes/colognes. If I start bringing them tshirts and the likes it gets expensive and takes up on space.

I've never really dated in Asia but is it standard to buy her family gifts on your first trip to visit a girl? Is it something that's expected or are you just trying to be nice/make a good impression?

As to my girlfriend, I didn't get her much in clothing outside of Victoria Secret and we have already discussed this.

You big ol' stud you...  ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:16:23 AM by benjio »

Offline Dough333

• Probie
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 11:23:43 AM »
Benjio

From my understand, the research that I've done, Pasalubong ( gift bringing ) is a big part of their culture. I have been told my girlfriend that it is an expectation. She has told me that chocolate is number 1 and everyone will be satisfied with chocolate. In the case of her mother, I am giving her box of chocolate that can be shared with the entire family.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »

As to my girlfriend, I didn't get her much in clothing outside of Victoria Secret and we have already discussed this. Thankfully she is not really that high maintenance and I plan on going to the mall and taking her shopping before we go to PG to get her a swimsuit, dress etc..

You shouldn't really spend too much on gifts especially when you haven't met her yet.   I would give the mother something that come from your city/country - souvenir, plus maybe flowers when you arrive there!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 11:24:46 AM »
Benjio

From my understand, the research that I've done, Pasalubong ( gift bringing ) is a big part of their culture. I have been told my girlfriend that it is an expectation. She has told me that chocolate is number 1 and everyone will be satisfied with chocolate. In the case of her mother, I am giving her box of chocolate that can be shared with the entire family.

Any genuine women should NEVER expected anything from you.  Local boyfriends to give their girlfriends perfumes?   They can afford them?

And be prepared to buy her $500 iPad in the future in addition to iPhone (!) 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:27:55 AM by Gato4Astrid »

Offline Dough333

• Probie
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
Gato... please refrain from commenting further on this thread. You are not really adding anything productive and are not really giving me any positive advice.

Thank you

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »
Gato... please refrain from commenting further on this thread. You are not really adding anything productive and are not really giving me any positive advice.

Thank you

It is a FREE country, and I can post whatever I want to!  And most importantly, you are asking us for out advice! 

Feel free buying them hundreds of gifts, and don't blame me if things do not work out.  You need to remember that you are meeting her and hoping for the relationships to work never mind what gifts you are giving her.  She should be grateful for your effort to fly all the way to meet her.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:33:05 AM by Gato4Astrid »

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »
Benjio

Now that I think of it I have heard that several Asian Cultures are "gift givers," so to each his own. Although Gato has had sort of an abrasive way of expressing this point, I would definitely feel out the situation and not be blinded by beauty/romance when you get there. I don't read half as much about gold digging girls in Asia as I do about the girls in Latin America on this board, but I'm sure even in the Phillipines there are some insincere young women more than ready to take advantage of a generous gringo if he lets her. Best of luck to you.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »

Offline Dough333

• Probie
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 12:36:54 PM »
I agree Benjio.  I think it would be different if she told me I had to bring stuff or had any expectations. She actually has never asked for anything. I've asked her in the past what she would like if I brought anything and she said a teddy bear and flowers.. definitely not the gifts that someone who is looking for money would ask for.  She has specifically asked me not to buy things like expensive, or even expensive looking jewelry.

I do believe I've done a very good job of vetting out if she is a gold digger or not. They do live in a gift giving culture though. I also think it is a nice gesture and I have the means to do so.  It doesn't set me back to buy a couple of bags of mini chocolates and give her brothers and cousins a small bag of 4-5 little chocolates.

Now if I was spending $5-$10 on each of her family members (12) then it would get a bit pricey. I'm actually spending about $1 per and I've gotten creative like getting free samples of perfumes and colognes, american coins for the nephews (a penny or nickle)   Just simple stuff.

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »
Not being a stranger to foreign countries, my woman when she early on dropped the suggestion to look into Filipino culture and laws while I am waiting to come there. Being the investigative and inquisitive type I started out watching video tours, programs and looking up male and female relationship roles and expectations. It's like a whole can of worms but not in a bad way. For instance I watched on one video about a tour in Manila that introduced the Quapo Colored Candles and the fortune tellers etc around Quapo Church. Then I would turn and ask her if she knows about this or partakes and come to find out she stops and burns a multi-color candle twice a month. So I go back and look closer and find it opens another question that I look up in the culture and find out many of their traditions. How Filipinos have Spanish names, social support structure etc. There are times I find she is learning from me and she is very supportive and enthusiastic that I am learning as much as I have.

Your right to think that the monetary value is not what is important to them. One thing that is apparent to me is that a gift is cherished (You certainly do not refuse one if offered). It is the fact that it is from you that matters to them. Watches, as much as Robert and I have privately discussed, are commonplace but not expensive ones. About $40 or less is what those that can afford them buy. Usually gold colored as that is the in color there, and not too flashy or expensive looking because many don't want to draw the attention of thieves and muggers. One thing I noticed there is that men's watches here are marketed as women's watches there.  My woman also expresses that chocolate is big there and you cannot go wrong with it.

As for food don't just look at it and think "no way". Maybe look at some of the local delicacies and foods before you go and peoples reactions and opinions that have tried it before. I'm totally looking forward to trying some. Wood worms in particular is one I want to try (Not really a worm but a mollusk). I grew up eating Lutefisk and Surstromming (Which I believe would make a skunk puke.). Weird I can eat that stuff, weird stuff and other delicacies but scrambled or fried eggs of any kind will send me into a vomit fest. (bad childhood experience).

Offline Ray

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »
This is a reprint of a recent post...

What to Bring

Pepto Bismol Chewable Tabs. Take two before eating to ward off Lapulapu's Revenge.

Immodium AD in case you forget to take your Pepto.

Sun screen lotion.

Mosquito repellant with Deet.

Lots of small bottles of Tabasco Sauce. Carry a bottle with you when going to someone's house because you never know what they might serve up for lunch or dinner. It could save your life.

One or two pairs of flip-flops. You take your shoes off when entering someone's house but they almost never have anything larger than size 9 slippers to offer you. Better bring your own.

A roll or two of toilet paper. That stuff is like gold over there.

For your digital camera, bring lots of extra memory sticks and rechargeable batteries with a small 110/220V charger. Take hundreds or thousands of photos!

Bring a half-dozen small hand towels if you sweat easily. The heat and humidity, along with TORRENTIAL rains, will keep you soaking wet.

I would bring at least 8-10 changes of clothes if you have room. I generally don't believe in traveling light since you paid dearly for that 100 lb checked baggage allowance.

Bring your cash in crisp, new $100 dollar bills. They're the easiest to change. Traveler's Checks may be safer, but they are a major pain in the arse to change!

Bring one major credit card for hotel bills.

Bring photocopies of your passport/plane tickets and keep them in a separate location from the originals. Carry a copy of your passport with you when you out and about. Leave ALL valuables and your passport in the hotel safe deposit if at all possible!

Clean out your wallet before you go. You will only need one major credit card, a picture ID, and possibly an ATM card. Leave everything else at home so it won't get lost.

Consider turning over the bulk of your cash to your girl for safe keeping. Keep a hundred in your shoe in case she runs off so you can go to Angeles City to party (j/k).

Remember to only drink bottled water (goes for ice too)!

Don't forget your pasalubong...

Have fun!

Ray

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
Not being a stranger to foreign countries, my woman when she early on dropped the suggestion to look into Filipino culture and laws while I am waiting to come there. Being the investigative and inquisitive type I started out watching video tours, programs and looking up male and female relationship roles and expectations. It's like a whole can of worms but not in a bad way. For instance I watched on one video about a tour in Manila that introduced the Quapo Colored Candles and the fortune tellers etc around Quapo Church. Then I would turn and ask her if she knows about this or partakes and come to find out she stops and burns a multi-color candle twice a month. So I go back and look closer and find it opens another question that I look up in the culture and find out many of their traditions. How Filipinos have Spanish names, social support structure etc. There are times I find she is learning from me and she is very supportive and enthusiastic that I am learning as much as I have.

Your right to think that the monetary value is not what is important to them. One thing that is apparent to me is that a gift is cherished (You certainly do not refuse one if offered). It is the fact that it is from you that matters to them. Watches, as much as Robert and I have privately discussed, are commonplace but not expensive ones. About $40 or less is what those that can afford them buy. Usually gold colored as that is the in color there, and not too flashy or expensive looking because many don't want to draw the attention of thieves and muggers. One thing I noticed there is that men's watches here are marketed as women's watches there.  My woman also expresses that chocolate is big there and you cannot go wrong with it.

As for food don't just look at it and think "no way". Maybe look at some of the local delicacies and foods before you go and peoples reactions and opinions that have tried it before. I'm totally looking forward to trying some. Wood worms in particular is one I want to try (Not really a worm but a mollusk). I grew up eating Lutefisk and Surstromming (Which I believe would make a skunk puke.). Weird I can eat that stuff, weird stuff and other delicacies but scrambled or fried eggs of any kind will send me into a vomit fest. (bad childhood experience).

Don't be afraid of the food. I think balut and durian are the two biggies that most people look askew at. Durian's interesting--first time I ate it, I broke out in a sweat like crazy and felt warm. Make sure they rinse it off before you eat it. Kind of swarmy--the smell alone would knock a buzzard off a sh!t wagon. It's supposedly an aphrodisiac too.

Funny how you can buy a bag of seafood there --the mollusks in shells you throw away--a few of the pretty shells alone would cost you more in the USA than the whole bag of seafood and the discarded, empty shells.

It's not a terrible idea, to bring hot sauce (I like central American Sontava! XXHabernaro sauce--it's full flavored and $2.99 at World market) but there's probably thousands of hot sauces there--some so hot they'd take chrome off a trailer hitch. Some are really good and here or there, we tend to make our own w/ little peppers and specialty vinegar to eat raw fish dishes with.

Do be careful with street vendor food--it may look, smell and taste great, but have the potential to make you very sick for a long time. Antibiotics and anti parasite medicines (worms) are sold over the counter there--no wonder. I typically bring back some antibiotics if I get some bug that I know my Dr. in the states will charge a $100 to visit him for--just to get an Rx for the same antibiotics. Never had any problem w/ customs either

Fosgate's right in that it's more the thought than the actual object-gift and it's value that you bring--it's the idea that you were thoughtful and considerate. At first I sort of cringed inside when we'd bring my wife's family 25 or so pounds of chocolate and other candy and next thing we knew--they invited all the kids in the village to have at it. Same with Victoria Secret perfumes and lotions--even some of the guys end up wearing it!

Timex is a really big deal there--a fine, under rated  watch worldwide and a source of national pride, as they are made in (amongst many nations) Cebu City, Philippines. Casio and Armitron aren't seen as being nearly as good. The girls in particular like the men sized--the big clunky, colorful rubber and plastic wristwatches.  Michael Kors (total gumstore crap watches) aren't popular there--but they'd probably dig the look--just not the ridiculous price. Rolex is generally very famous worldwide, but in the Philippines, if they're amongst the very few there who can afford a Rolex, (or even the $25--$40 fake Rolexes sold of varying quality) they'll probably go with a RADO brand watch instead. The mega rich there probably won't buy Salvatore Ferragamo or the generally much more expensive Hermes line of purses and apparel--they'll go for Louis Vuitton.

There's a high degree of brand recognition at almost all social--income levels there and certainly tons of fake--counterfeit versions of everything you could imagine and more. The richest families who own all the mega malls (and there's nothing like a Filipino Mall for fun, noise, lights and activity) show no shame in putting things like fake Oakley sun glasses and fake Lacoste polo shirts right at the front of big, mall anchor stores. Some of the fakes are very, very hard to make out--I bought a nice Seiko diving watch that had an original Seiko steel watch casing, crystal and strap, but the movement inside that powers the watch, was not Seiko.

I have seen good quality fake movie DVDs (major Hollywood releases) on the streets being sold before the movies even opened in the USA. They'll sell fake Nike Air Jordan basketball shoes before any USA store gets them in stock and chances are in the case of shoes, they'll be crap quality too. 'Toms' brand shoes sold there are fake garbage there. Popular in the USA? Likely counterfeited there or by Muslims in Indonesia and sent to the Philippines.

No matter if it's food or basketball shoes that are made overseas and then shipped to the USA, then brought by you to them--doesn't matter--if it came from a USA state--store--somehow it's better. They trust that it's 'real'. Never mind the shoes say 'made in Vietnam' or 'made in China'--they feel--and maybe they're right--that the goods that come from the USA are better quality--better finished--more prime perhaps. Maybe the chocolate tastes sweeter to them. I like the British chocolate personally, but they love good old Hershey.

By far, most of the people --the vast majority of Filipinos we know, really feel they're stylin' in a large way if they've got a real pair of Levi blue jeans, a pair of Nike basketball shoes and maybe a corresponding T shirt. Those things--and Timex watches, are typically sold there at the full USA price--converted to pesos--so few can afford them.

Filipinos are w/o any doubt, the world's biggest basketball  fans--even the poorest neighborhoods have a basketball court of sorts. It's hard for me to explain or even fathom myself how crazy they are about B Ball--little kids know the names of NBA bench warmers. Even the NBA has set up shop in the Philippines, with franchised stores that sell official NBA merchandise that few can afford--but they love to go and look.

One of the nicest things you can do before leaving, is to buy a couple basketballs and volleyballs for the kids. They will totally share them and you will forever be a legend in their hearts. One time I brought brand new, shiny US pennies and nickels--thinking that the coins would interest the kids--NADA. My wife explained--"They have absolutely NO use for them--zero utility--but give them a peso to win in a basketball or volleyball game and THEN they'll get excited! They love sports and competition.

Where my wife is from--a wee small barangay (village) when her Father was still "Captain--Kapitan"--sort of like a small town Mayor here, he put in a really nice, full sized and then some, thick concrete slab basket ball court and goals. No wonder they kept re electing him! It's one of the centers of the barangay's focus--he was all about education, sports, recreation, keeping 'God in the center' and drugs and alcohol out. If a guy was heard to be beating his wife and didn't take a clear warning to quit, eventually someone was likely to put a beating on him to make it clearer!

As to candles--well.....there is an interesting mix of religion, medicine, black magic and superstition amongst most Filipinos and we'll probably go the rest of our lives not knowing the half of it--but rest assured, it's very interesting!

Personally although I respect those who believe, I don't buy too much into superstition because I KNOW it's bad luck! ::)

Offline Ray

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 06:52:20 PM »
If you're really worried, you can buy a cotton 'money belt' to go under your pants. Comfy enough to wear on one of those glorious, 40+ hour plane trips in economy class to S.E. Asia. Not sure if Triple A auto AAA still has them, but the one I have has two sections, a light, smooth nylon zipper & can hold several thousand bucks, my passport and drug stash too.   ::)

Too bad AAA doesn't sell the fairly sturdy clear passport covers any more, last time I checked--I liked them. But they're all about selling those cheesy thin covers for passports and money, credit card carry things, to ward off people who carry remote technology to scan your data and rip you off--they're some sort of thin metallic paper like shield--bet aluminum foil would do the same thing and look very 'space age'!

The hotels I usually stay at typically have a safe box system around the main desk area, where I can keep valuables I'd rather not carry around. Carrying an old 'dummy' wallet, with a few bucks and some expired credit cards and old Disney world pass is usually enough to fool thieves into not making you drop your pants--unless they're REALLY nice pants and they want the full monty...

And yeah---DON'T forget the immodium. That's one place, with the filthiest public bathrooms, where you'll be glad you did. I have a cast iron digestive system, but have been known to pop a half or whole tab 'just in case' if I'm going to be away from our home or hotel for a while over there.

Some common over the counter drugs here aren't common there or are just plain unavailable. You can get Benadryl for topical--'on the skin' use for bug bites only, but probably won't find it to take orally if you can't sleep.

If there's something that's the only thing that'll kill your head ache--like Alleve--naproxen, etc., bring it--again, 'just in case'. We send the above mentioned and more over there because as said--not available or too expensive and they really appreciate it. Things like gummy bear vitamins for the little kids--we load the balikbayon boxes with them, along with Dr. Seuss books, National Geographics etc. My Father in law has to pay like ten times what we pay here for vitamin C there and for simple calcium tablets as well, so we send a years worth at a time--they're dirt cheap here at Sams, Costco....
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:25:19 PM by robert angel »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
Hi everyone.

Any last second advice?

Are you going to make videos like this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYyxFNiSb8M

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »
Benjio

In general you don't want a box, the ants will get to it and they can't be passed around.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 05:04:39 AM »
In general you don't want a box, the ants will get to it and they can't be passed around.

What alternative do you suggest?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 09:17:05 AM »
Not so sure I'd want this guy coaching my date. jajaja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCeWkbNmiA#t=83

[size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCeWkbNmiA#t=83[/size]

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »
That guy is a creeper and the girls know it just by reading their body language. They are trying to be polite but the guy seems like a sex tourist. As for the Life by the Sea guy, I have watched some of his videos and come to the conclusion to be careful about some of his advice. Notice he even moved to PH and while he has dated many, he has yet to marry and if you notice much of his intention seems fixated on dating non committed relationships. Both of these guys are the type my woman was fearful of me being as much as I was fearful of finding a woman wanting a free ride to the U.S. or scam me.

I almost forgot. If you plan on hiking anywhere grab some Mosi-Guard, OFF, stuff your socks and shoes with powdered detergent etc. It will keep land leeches and other parasites at bay and keep a nice afternoon stroll or hike nice. I myself got into them once on an another continent. Not a pleasant to deal with them or the worry of infection of an open wound in a tropical environment.
http://www.trampingphilippines.com/2011/10/pantingan-peak-dayhike.html
http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008/01/limatik-blood-leeches-overview.html

Offline Dough333

• Probie
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the leeches. We are planning on doing a little hiking in Puerto Galera, just to see some waterfalls. I have insect repellent.. I think its like 90% Deet.. I hope that would be enough to keep off any leeches but I can pick up some OFF lotion as well if that is a concern.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 04:17:08 PM »
Been in some rather remote areas for extended periods and never had cause to worry about leeches. Did have more concern about the possibility of cobras and other venomous snakes,  but never saw any of them either. Hope to see the National  Bird: "The Monkey Eating Eagle", but they're exceedingly rare,  as monkeys are pretty much gone,  as are the legendary eagles. Hard to believe in such a vast nation of over 7000 islands, with huge areas still untouched wilderness and even new species of mammals and other creatures being discovered therein. The beaches and reefs are in danger there to the point where I think we should see them before they're spoiled.

Offline Dough333

• Probie
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
Any shots or immunizations I need? Will I need Malaria pills if I am going to Puerto Galera? It is fairly junglish. I think.

Offline Fosgate5

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 04:31:41 AM »
Any shots or immunizations I need? Will I need Malaria pills if I am going to Puerto Galera? It is fairly junglish. I think.

You can always check on the Internet just to make sure.  Since you are an overweight person, you are more likely to get bitten by mosquitoes than skinny people.  Even worse if you are an 'O' type blood.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-some-people-are-more-prone-to-mosquito-bites-than-others/2013/07/22/0d46035c-ee34-11e2-a1f9-ea873b7e0424_story.html

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:36:28 AM by Gato4Astrid »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 04:34:55 AM »

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:36:45 AM by Gato4Astrid »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0