It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: First timer here. Here goes  (Read 3474 times)

Offline blackstar001us

• Probie
First timer here. Here goes
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:10:35 PM »
Hi everybody, my name is Craig. I am 41 years young and live in Michigan. I was referred by a longtime friend Howard. He said to come here for advice and any other things that might help me along the way to bring my girl here from Thailand. He said it changes all the time, so it might be better to come here for some advice. He told me I need to fill out the l-129F form first and send with the Fiance Visa Package. Is this correct? What all is involved in the package? Does anybody here know anything about the US - Thai procedures. Or is the same for every foreign country? Any help would be greatly helpful and most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
Re: First timer here. Here goes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
Hi Craig, welcome aboard!

If you are a U.S. citizen and have met her in person within the last 2 years, then yes you can file a petition for a fiancée visa so that you can marry here in the states.

If you wish to marry her over there, then there is a whole different procedure with different forms.

For the fiancée visa petition, you will need to complete Form I-129F. Both you and your fiancée will also need to complete Form G-325A and write a letter of intent to marry. You both will also need passport type photos and certified copies of birth certificates (optional but recommended for her) with English translations. If she has any children, there is some additional paperwork. If either of you have been married before, you will need certified copies of any divorce/annulment decrees.

The forms I-129F and G-325A can be downloaded or filled online from the CIS Web site at:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

You should spend some time at that site and read everything pertaining to fiancée visas and filing petitions.

Here’s a quick checklist of what you will need to file:

K-1 Checklist
1. Completed Form I-129F
2. Filing fee (cashier’s check or money order)
3. Original Form G-325A (Biographic Information) for you
4. Original Form G-325A (Biographic Information) for your fiancée
5. One recent color passport photo of yourself
6. One recent color passport photo of your fiancée
7. Copy of petitioner’s certified birth certificate or proof of U.S. citizenship
8. Copy of documents showing legal termination of all previous marriages
9. Evidence of meeting within last 2 years
10. Original statements of mutual intent to marry
11. Evidence of valid relationship and mutual intent to marry
12. Certified copies of court and police records for any convictions of listed crimes
13. Signed statement attesting to the fact that document copies submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered originals.
14. Copy of fiancée’s birth certificate (recommended)

When you have downloaded the forms and read over the instructions, feel free to ask any questions.

William3rd is the resident expert on all immigration visa matters, especially for Thailand…

Ray

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 03:04:27 AM by Ray »

Offline william3rd

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:34:07 AM »
Sawasdi, Khrap- Yin dee tee dai reujak khun. Leaving for thailand tomorrow night.

US procedures are the same since it is one govt.

The US consulate in Thailand is backlogged right now but you wont have to worry about that much since it may clear by the time your petition gets there. If in Bangkok, there is a translation service about 50 meters from the consulate on Thanon Wittayu.

House records are as good as birth certificates.

We usually go with personal checks or law offic checks since they are easier to track on those rare occasions when the receipt notice gets mailed somewhere else.

What city does she hail from?
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:34:07 AM »

Offline blackstar001us

• Probie
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:21:56 PM »
Thanks alot for all the info Ray and William. Sawasdee krup :)  She lives in Bangkok and she speaks english very well. She will be 30 years old in september. Never married and no children. She works at the Amari Watergate Hotel on Pretchburi Rd. Do I need a copy of her birth certificate? What is a house record? I met her in october 2005. She was too shy to take a picture with me. How big of a problem is that going to be? I know I need proof that we have met. I have been to Thailand three times and I have all my receipts. What else will I need in that regard for the petition package? Any help is greatly appreciated. Have a safe trip and have a great time.

Craig

Offline william3rd

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »
She knows what a house record is. It is a registration of a family unit. If you are not going back soon for a visit and are filing soon (you have a two year line on qualifing meetings for the petition), you will need some pretty compelling documentation.

Do you have pictures in the same place taken separately? You should provide as many of these types of pictures as you can since they are not together.

Your declaration needs to address in detail the meeting, the activities and the reason for no common photos. Other than the basics- imm photos, proof of citizenship, etc. you need a signed G325A for each of you.

Feel free to ask specifics. I will be around tomorrow before I leave. Cathay Pacific leaves at midnight,

Offline blackstar001us

• Probie
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 01:01:25 AM »
Thanks again William. It sounds like it might be better if I go back soon and take pictures together. What do you think? How long is your trip to Thailand for?

Craig

Offline william3rd

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:09:22 AM »
MY trip is nine days- not long enough. But I have to check on our house and see the gf since it has been a few months.

I would go back for a visit. You have every reason to. . . . .

Offline blackstar001us

• Probie
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:28:59 AM »
Wow you're like me. I have been there three times. And every time I could only stay for 10 days. Have a great time. Enjoy Songran :)

Craig

Offline william3rd

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 07:51:58 AM »
Chai- Koh hai chok dee. Sawasdi, peecraig. . . .
Bai groonthep lao-lao. Terrak keetung mach mach. . . . .

Offline Ray

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »
Craig,

Her birth certificate is not on the required documents list, but I would advise including a copy with the petition package. They occasionally will come back and ask for one and having it in your submission may help clear up any questions that may arise with CIS or during the security checks. Just include a photocopy if you have a certified version with translation handy, but I wouldn’t hold up the submission if you don’t have one available.

The lack of photos “may” be a problem. Though there is no written requirement for photos of you two together, the adjudicators have come to expect them over the years.

It used to be that they would accept proof that you were in her country or her hometown (or vice versa) within the past two years. When I submitted a fiancée petition, I didn’t include any photos, but that was some time ago.

If you submit a photocopy of your complete passport with entry/exit stamps, hotel or restaurant receipts, airline ticket stubs or bording passes, single photos of the two of you or of you alone, and any other evidence of your presence there, you may be O.K.. But it’s hard to say until they look at your petition.

If you do go back for another visit first, try to get a lot of photos of both of you together, preferably with date stamps.

Offline blackstar001us

• Probie
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 12:54:04 AM »
Thanks alot Ray, you and William are making this alot easier for me. I think I should go back and get pics together. When I submit my berth certificate. Do I need an original? or is a photo copy good? I think William said a house record will do for her. Is that like a birth certificate? What is a date stamp? I have a digital camera.

Thanks again,

Craig

Offline Ray

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 01:27:54 AM »
Craig,

Don't submit any original personal documents, just photocopies of the certified originals. If there is anything on the back, copy both sides.

I have no idea what a "house record" is. Better ask William about that one. Sounds like some kind of census record maybe?

If your camera doesn't have date stamps then don't worry about it. That's where the camera puts a date right on the picture to remind you when it was taken.

If you can, also save phone records of long distance calls you made to her. It would also help if you and she had original letters or cards you received from each other in the envelopes with postmarks. These will help later as evidence of a valid relationship.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 131