It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: dont believe all the advertising hype  (Read 20881 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: dont believe all the advertising hype
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »

Why on god's green earth would a white man from a first world country want to live in the phillipines anyway?

This seems to be a recurring issue with you--not sure how it fits into this thread or your search (not that we don't all tend to veer off) but If you have the money, there are certain parts that are very nice and safe, with security and other measures that make life there very nice. Ask Leonardo Decaprio, Nicholas Gage, Marc Anthony and a host of others--I forget if it was Julio Englasiis or his son, who was married to a Filipina Ms. Universe winner, but there's a lot of 'A list' celebrities such as they, who have homes and/or spend a lot of time there--some who want to remain anonymous.

I don't think Vin Diesel wanted to leave the Philippines. No, it's not for everyone by a long shot and even we probably wouldn't want to live more than half to two thirds of the time there, but don't knock it till you try it. As I recall, some of the things you seem to insinuate about the Philippines  have been problematic for you in Colombia.

Where our home is, I think nothing of walking outside our subdivision at 3:00 in the morning to go for a walk with my wallet. Even in the red light district where hookers are tolerated, criminals are so afraid of the mayor and his 'way' of handling crime, that it's a whole lot safer than my city, a city that 12 million tourists a year visit. My wife usually doesn't like me carrying a gun, but lately it's gotten so bad (especially after dark) she doesn't mind me tucking my 12 ounce Smith and Wesson Body Guard in a belt holster in the small of my back.

Certainly there are some clearly defined Muslim areas in the Philippines that no Christian would dare visit and in most (not all) cities, there are dangerous areas, but you can sense it walking in. What you don't see--but do see increasingly in the USA, is seemingly random crime outside of slum areas, robberies, knifings and shootings  in places (besides schools) that it was very unusual before. Going to the mall, a gas station or ATM anymore requires due vigilance in our area these days.

Checking out the almost crime free areas, the world class beaches, the fresh seafood, some other excellent dishes, deserts, the malls and other sites, never mind the millions of pretty girls interested in different looking foreigners and an overall very foreigner --USA friendly population and you might like it.

The main downside is poverty--beggars in some areas, pollution, the slow place and lack of infrastructure in many areas as we know it in the USA.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
Looks like you sent the link to a wrong article- in the right place CopaCabana. This is about a guy who met Nacional Futbol fan  Street hooligans in the street, they stabbed him seven times, then the guy shot atthem, the police came and shot him in the head. Tis looks like Narcos fighting it out.
here is the link

http://www.minuto30.com/ultimos-hech...policia-fotos/My sister-in-law and our head groundskeeper were taken from Popalito to Copacabana where they were executed. My wife and I met the police from Copacabana and retrieved Gloria's car. They were useless like most of the fiscalia in Colombia, may as well call the local kindergarten.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
You should just ignore him when he posts this stuff. He is just getting his trollish kicks trying to get a rise out of you- he does itto everybody.

Trying to demonstrate his great social skills. I imagine he graduated at the top of his class at Dale Carnegie ;) :D

This seems to be a recurring issue with you--not sure how it fits into this thread or your search (not that we don't all tend to veer off) but If you have the money, there are certain parts that are very nice and safe, with security and other measures that make life there very nice. Ask Leonardo Decaprio, Nicholas Gage, Marc Anthony and a host of others--I forget if it was Julio Englasiis or his son, who was married to a Filipina Ms. Universe winner, but there's a lot of 'A list' celebrities such as they, who have homes and/or spend a lot of time there--some who want to remain anonymous.

I don't think Vin Diesel wanted to leave the Philippines. No, it's not for everyone by a long shot and even we probably wouldn't want to live more than half to two thirds of the time there, but don't knock it till you try it. As I recall, some of the things you seem to insinuate about the Philippines  have been problematic for you in Colombia.

Where our home is, I think nothing of walking outside our subdivision at 3:00 in the morning to go for a walk with my wallet. Even in the red light district where hookers are tolerated, criminals are so afraid of the mayor and his 'way' of handling crime, that it's a whole lot safer than my city, a city that 12 million tourists a year visit. My wife usually doesn't like me carrying a gun, but lately it's gotten so bad (especially after dark) she doesn't mind me tucking my 12 ounce Smith and Wesson Body Guard in a belt holster in the small of my back.

Certainly there are some clearly defined Muslim areas in the Philippines that no Christian would dare visit and in most (not all) cities, there are dangerous areas, but you can sense it walking in. What you don't see--but do see increasingly in the USA, is seemingly random crime outside of slum areas, robberies, knifings and shootings  in places (besides schools) that it was very unusual before. Going to the mall, a gas station or ATM anymore requires due vigilance in our area these days.

Checking out the almost crime free areas, the world class beaches, the fresh seafood, some other excellent dishes, deserts, the malls and other sites, never mind the millions of pretty girls interested in different looking foreigners and an overall very foreigner --USA friendly population and you might like it.

The main downside is poverty--beggars in some areas, pollution, the slow place and lack of infrastructure in many areas as we know it in the USA.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
Sounds like Miami in the mid to late 80's--everyone --both sides--was in on the action and the killings.

Even down where we stayed, in Key West, you never knew what might wash up on the beach--it might be 'square grouper'--rectangular blocks of pot (big) or smaller rectangles of pure cocaine, sealed water tight. "Fishing' and 'beach combing'  was interesting at times.

Then again, sometimes it was dead bodies you might come across. With the aerial blimps and other measures, the 'trade routes' and 'methods' have changed and the scariest thing you're likely to see there now is an el cheapo cruise ship tourist, black socks, Bermuda shorts, a polo shirt, sunglasses and a big camera, looking for five T shirts for $10 and a greasy cheeseburger from Wendys. The cool old shops and restaurants are pretty much all gone and the average working guy on K.W. has a long commute due to the over inflated home and rent prices.

Same crap happened when I was a kid living on St. Thomas, V.I.--it was soo nice and unviolated for a while...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »
You should just ignore him when he posts this stuff. He is just getting his trollish kicks trying to get a rise out of you- he does itto everybody.

Trying to demonstrate his great social skills. I imagine he graduated at the top of his class at Dale Carnegie ;) :D

ElEx--you're right--he's never been there and even his credibility about supposed visits to Colombia is suspect at best. Hate to lend credence to his dribble, but if nothing else, perhaps it can avoid others from buying into his mindset--we know the Philippines is a third world nation no doubt, but you can live a lifestyle there that'd afford and cost you as much as any of the world's major cities--you can easily drop a $100 on a 5 star dinner for example, if so inclined, or be pampered at some of the world's most highly regarded beaches and resorts...

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
Hes an OK guy,, just have to take his comments with a gain of salt...
ElEx--you're right--he's never been there and even his credibility about supposed visits to Colombia is suspect at best. Hate to lend credence to his dribble, but if nothing else, perhaps it can avoid others from buying into his mindset--we know the Philippines is a third world nation no doubt, but you can live a lifestyle there that'd afford and cost you as much as any of the world's major cities--you can easily drop a $100 on a 5 star dinner for example, if so inclined, or be pampered at some of the world's most highly regarded beaches and resorts...

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »
Interesting seeing the comments about Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. We went to Uruguay last year to check it out and spent a couple of weeks there. Beautiful clean beaches, lovely rural countryside, a Latin American country where people actually follow the traffic laws (imaginate!), a high quality of life without the horrible poverty that is routine in Colombia - it's a really nice place. The drawbacks are it is really far away requiring an overnight flight from the US, the cost of living is about the same as it is in San Antonio, Texas and the women are nothing to write home about. Which is probably just as well, they are not terribly interested in gringos.

As a sidebar, we spent a day in Mexico City on the way down and absolutely loved it - we rode all over the city on the subway for a 25 cent fare. Even though most Mexican women are not very attractive, I saw some of the most drop dead gorgeous women I have ever seen in my life in Mexico City. There were not a huge number of them but the ones I saw were second to none. What a lively and vibrant place Mexico City is - truly one of the great cities of the world.

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
Great info uc.  Thanks for the report.  I hope to one day visit all of the places you mentioned.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 181