It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: $150 To Save Your Life-  (Read 3381 times)

Offline william3rd

$150 To Save Your Life-
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:41:04 AM »
To all who have experienced the American way of medical care, you know how difficult it is to set up the time to have routine wellness-care appointments or checkups done. Even more important in the grossly over priced system is that your insurance generally will not even cover a routine wellness examination.

Over the last few years, Thailand has become one of the innovators in foreign medical care and foreign wellness care.

What better way to spend a couple of hours on a morning while vacationing than finding out whether you can have plans for a vacation next year by having a complete physical examination and determining your current baseline data. And with the attractive pricing, can you afford not to do it?

Although there are many hospitals in Thailand that offer this type of service and have varying service and price structures, I will only talk about the fine facility at AEK Udon International Hospital in Udonthani.

They were having a 20% off sale at the hospital!!! Since I was years behind on my last physical, it was a bargain for me at any price. The services offered ran from a basic examination consisting of a urine and blood screen with a chest X-ray (1200 baht) to the executive examination which included the basics plus an ultrasound examination of most organs including an ultrasound prostate examination. The organ examination is done to look for suspicious spots that may harbor cancer. For males, you probably remember the old fashioned  prostate examinations and ultrasound is definitely the way to go! No more gloves, no more cold gel, and no more Uncle Sam salute.

The discount price of the executive examination was 4400 Baht. At an internal exchange rate of 33:1 baht to dollar, the examinations only cost from around $ 37 for the basic plan and $135 for the executive plan. For women, there is a comprehensive examination that includes a mammogram for about $30 more than the male executive plan.

The convenience of the examination was amazing. I had called the hospital the day before for appointment information  to be told that I should eat or drink nothing after midnight and report to the hospital emergency room after 630AM the next morning-or any other morning that I felt like I wanted to have the examination done. I elected the next morning- a Sunday- to have my examination

The spotless nature of the hospital is readily apparent on arrival. Except for a chingchok (gecko) here or there climbing on the walls, AEK Udon is immaculate, their staff smartly dressed in the more traditional professional medical and nursing garb.

Upon my arrival promptly at 630, the standard vital statistics were taken. By 700AM, my blood and urine was obtained and the chest X-ray completed. The ultrasound technician arrived by 8AM and by 815, I was told that I should plan on returning any time after 1030 to meet with the reviewing physician.

Since I had fasted, this hiatus gave us time to eat and to exchange some currency.

By 11AM I was back for my results and by 1130, I was finished. My test results were sobering to me although the tests did tell me some things about myself and my health that I already knew but had been ignoring for quite some time.

For examples, my blood sugar was very high, bad cholesterol very high, good cholesterol very low, and I had high blood pressure. The physician gave me a 90 day ultimatum. Diet and exercise immediately and come back (or see another doctor) in 90 days to measure the results. Otherwise, I could be a candidate for a heart attack in the near future and the high blood sugar could lead to a diagnosis of diabetes.

Thus, the message - do it myself or end up taking medicines in 90 days. Will I accomplish this task? I don’t know. But- at least I know that I have some danger signs that I must deal with.

So, for $135 and delaying my breakfast for 2 hours, I may have saved my life.  All this for less than $150 and a couple hours of my time. Was it worth it? Oh Yes- because now I know of some future problems.

So-if you want to get a medical examination at a reasonable price with no inconvenience, you may want to consider one of the fine hospitals in Thailand. It just might save your life.

For information on this fine series of hospitals, visit http://www.aekudon.com
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline william3rd

Hospitalized abroad
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:56:34 AM »
AEK UDON INTERNATIONAL- Part II

Just because you get an examination at a hospital doesn’t mean that you live happily ever after with no health problems.

Ironically, just two days after my health examination, I returned to AEK Udon International as a patient. I had come down with something call Meuniere’s Syndrome. I awoke from a jet-lag induced nap with the world spinning violently around me. I could neither stand nor sit without retching uncontrollably. (Remarkably similar to the effect of reading the Jamie/Sean Chronicles.)

A few hours in this condition convinced me to seek medical assistance or perhaps it was the imperial nagging of my wife’s mother, who was going to save my life whether I wanted it saved or not.
    Fortunately, although I was ill enough to be hospitalized, I was not so ill as to miss out on the Thai hospital experience.

After arrival on the emergency ramp, I was unable to stand, clutching a small trash can from our home to my chest like a life preserver. Security immediately produced a wheel chair for me to travel the rest of the way into the emergency room.

As the medical staff ascertained the nature of my immediate distress and began ruling out various serious illnesses, the head nurse had already spoken to my wife about accommodations and room price. There was a short delay while the hospital determined what bed size I would need and ordered the extra large size from supply. Never the less, within thirty minutes I was already in my room, a two room VIP suite which, as it turned out, had a tremendous panoramic view of that section of the city. Poked, prodded, injected, and inspected, with an IV drip in place, I finally was able to move my head without the world spinning and was able to let go of my friend and confidant, the trash can..   

What was really amazing to me other than the smart appearance of the staff was that they explained to me each and every thing that they were doing and why certain other things were not being done. For example, a blood test would be taken at 630, breakfast would be at 700, and my treating doctor would be in at 830AM. Nothing more would be done until my treating doctor arrived.

To all who have experienced the American way of hospitals, you know first hand how rude and uncaring how  many hospital staffs are. This hospital was the most patient oriented places I have ever been- in any country. From the policy of 24 hour visits by guests being welcome to the room to the visiting guest menu to the gold-jacketed “waiter” presenting your meal to you, the hospital is geared to your comfort and satisfaction. I believe that AEK Udon is truly interested in patient recovery.

Breakfast did indeed arrive before 705AM and my doctor arrived at 830 as promised. Never happens in the US and never will. At about 730, my courtesy “care package” of toothbrush, hair items, coffee packets and tea arrived.

By 10AM, the International Coordinator had arrived to discuss what help I would need in contacting my insurance company or billing needs. By 1030, the assistant administrator had arrived to present me with a gift basket of assorted snacks and snack drinks in case I needed refreshment between meals.Ah hem- some of these items were not on the hospital diet ( a large container of sugar was definitely not on he agenda but-

Fortunately, my room had a chingchok in the light fixture over my bed which kept calling out to me. I took it as a sign of good luck; my wife found it annoying since she is not a chingchok fan. The two-room suite didnt even look like a hospital room except for the hospital bed; one room being a kitchen/dining/sitting room and the other room as well an apportioned master bedroom as I had ever seen.
   I learned that AEK Udon also rented apartment suites in the hospital for 90-190 per MONTH. The deluxe suite had large screen TV and a refrigerator. This type of arrangement is a safe place for visiting farang to stay and also for the hospital’s longer term patients or family members to stay between treatments.
   After almost three full days of amazing professional care, I walked out of my room with a suitcase full of medications to be taken for the next two weeks. Total cost of stay (less 5% discount for being a member (one of the fringe benefits for the physical) was about baht 15000-about $450. While expensive by Thai standards, the AEK Udon hospital certainly exceeded what could be found in it’s US counterparts  both in price and in quality.

Although there are many hospitals in Thailand that offer this type of service and have varying price structure, I will only talk about the fine facility at AEK Udon International Hospital in Udonthani.
This hospital performs many different surgical procedures. From the removal of orthopedic hardware from accidents to open heart surgury, its primarily foreign trained surgical staff is top knotch.While many hospitals specialize in inexpensive cosmetic surgury, this hospital performs real surgury. Just one example- removal of leg pins and plates from motorcycle accident in England- $350; shoulder pins and plates-$450.

Next time you are uninsured-drop on by.

Offline sean126

Re: Hospitalized abroad
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:15:11 AM »

Ironically, just two days after my health examination, I returned to AEK Udon International as a patient. I had come down with something call Meuniere’s Syndrome.

My mother has that.

BTW....your a smart alec!   :D :D :D :D :D :D

Planet-Love.com

Re: Hospitalized abroad
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:15:11 AM »

Offline Dave H

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: Resident
Re: $150 To Save Your Life-
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:55:49 AM »
Hi William,

That is some GREAT advice!

I hope you are feeling much better! They thought that I had Meuniere’s Syndrome at first. But it turned out to be bilateral cerebellar infarcts (strokes). Same symptoms, vertigo and thrash can hugging!  What a BEE-ITCH! Fortunately...for me at least,  ;D they caught it in time to save my life and save some of my brain tissue.  ::)

Dave
The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
Suggest you look for a BBC America show called "You Are What You Eat." That'll convince you to eat healthier. The changes in people in 8 short weeks after being nagged for a couple days by a tiny little blond lady are surprising, especially in BP, cholesterol, skin condition, etc. It's not about losing weight, but better health, though most people lose 30-40 lbs in two months.  Interestingly enough, many of her suggested foods, aside from lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are typical Japanese fare - seaweed, miso, azuki beans. http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/273/index.jsp

Absent that, in your mostly batch-ing it lifestyle, the Paleolithic diet is an easy one for healthy changes: http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »

This is all very interesting William.

I was just curious. You said your blood sugar was really high. How high?

Did they do a simple blood glucose test or the Hemoglobin A1C test? Blood glucose being too high after fasting for about 6 hours can be a sign of diabetes, but the A1C is a much better indicator.

Did they give you a printout of your lab results? Is most of the medical staff fluent in English?

Now get busy on that diet and exercise program. See a registered dietician. You have a young wife to think about now!

Ray

Offline william3rd

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »
This is all very interesting William.

I was just curious. You said your blood sugar was really high. How high?

Did they do a simple blood glucose test or the Hemoglobin A1C test? Blood glucose being too high after fasting for about 6 hours can be a sign of diabetes, but the A1C is a much better indicator.

Did they give you a printout of your lab results? Is most of the medical staff fluent in English?

Now get busy on that diet and exercise program. See a registered dietician. You have a young wife to think about now!

Ray

They told me 180 with 120 as the cutoff- had both tests. Got printouts. Medical staff has fluent speakers

Offline Dave H

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »

Ray

Hey Ray,

My doctor does the Hemoglobin A1C test on me ever few months. It gives a much better picture of long term blood sugar control.

Dave

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 09:48:51 PM »
Wow that sounds like a good place to be if your sick.
glad to hear that you made it out ok.
I wonder if there are any hospitals in the PI. that compare to your Thai hospital.
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline william3rd

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 03:35:43 AM »
i HAVE A FEELING THAT THEY ARE THERE. The real question is- are they the exception or the rule. What kind of treatment do common people get?

I would hate to be bled to release evil humours. . . .

Offline Dave H

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:10:25 AM »

I wonder if there are any hospitals in the PI. that compare to your Thai hospital.

Hey piglett,

There are some very fine, high tech private hospitals in the Philippines, especially in the major cities.  There are also public and private hospitals that lack equipment, medicine, and supplies. I am always amazed when I have to go to a pharmacy for supplies or medications and take them back to the hospital. Sterile conditions are not always what we would expect in the US. Many hospitals only have aircon in some of the rooms. It is not unusual to see a cat walking down the hallway. A private hospital a few blocks from me does brain surgery...although I think I would prefer a major medical center.

It is hard to find the same level of nursing care in the US...except from Filipina nurses, which I request. When I had my strokes in the US, I had 5 Filipina nurses and a Filipino physical therapist. I asked that a Russian male nurse be remove from my case...he was quite knowlegable, but an arrogant, insensitive prick, who barked out "orders!" My friend (African-American roomate) was close to choking the life out of him! If I could have moved and had the strength, I would considered it myself!

Dave
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:23:39 AM by Dave H »

Offline Ray

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »

I would hate to be bled to release evil humours. . . .

Evil humours?? Are you talking about the ex-moderator from the Latin Forum?

Or were you referring to your humourrhoids bleeding again? Better lay off of the Tabasco sauce for a while...

:D

Offline william3rd

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
Evil humours?? Are you talking about the ex-moderator from the Latin Forum?

Or were you referring to your humourrhoids bleeding again? Better lay off of the Tabasco sauce for a while...

:D

NAAAAHH- THAT WAS FOUL HUMOR ALSO KNOWN AS SEAN

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »
I heard Sean switched from a wet suit to a mankini, after an unfortunate scuba diving accident.  ;D ;D ;D

Dave

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:48 PM »

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
Hey piglett,

It is not unusual to see a cat walking down the hallway.
Dave

hey Dave
what do you have against cats??
maybe it's there to keep the mice in check.
A friend of mine has a farm & he has a couple of barn cats
he feeds them a little cat food but for the most part they are on the "hot lunch program"  :D :D :D

piglett
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline Dave H

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 12:02:10 AM »
hey Dave
what do you have against cats??

piglett

I'm allergic to them! 

Dave