It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: To Vietnam, engaged, and back  (Read 5886 times)

Offline BigBlock502

To Vietnam, engaged, and back
« on: February 01, 2007, 11:08:10 PM »
I've been back now for about a week, but I would like to share my story with you all.

I left Boise Airport January 10th made a stop in LA California, skipped on over to Tokyo Japan, flew to Singapore from there and finally landed in Hanoi Vietnam all after about a 30 something hours of travel and layover time.

I was greeted with flowers and her warm smile the second I got through customs. She and about 10 family members made up the welcoming party. And the photos started. A good family friend was taking the photos. From the airport they asked if I was hungry and I told them a bite to eat would be great. This is where I realized I really am in a different world now. We all piled into a van taxi and away we went somewhere downtown Hanoi where everyone honks their horn constantly the whole country does from what I saw honk honk honk it means hey I'm coming up behind you and its constantly being used. The roads were in bad shape but my mind wasn't thinking about any of that I was finally sitting next her, the girl I've been talking with over the internet for about 10 months was right there! She had a pen and some paper and we immediately began writing to each other. She would write "I'm so happy to see you" and I would return with something similar. Somewhere along the ride our non writing hands found each other and held on tight. We were together. About 45 minutes later we pulled into this what didn't resemble any kind of restaurant I've ever seen and proceded to walk in. The family running the place quickly gathered some chairs and tables outta the back room and set them up for us to have a place to eat, table cloth and all. Food was ordered and brought and the first thing everyone did was watch to see if I could operate the chopsticks ha ha... although not with the grace of a swan I managed to get the food to my mouth without using my fingers and later became an expert at using them. Now my girl "Yen" she could speak English pretty well, with her parents and other family relatives everything was a fun game of sherades. I learned what food to dip in what sauce and other dinner trivia all through the sherades as she would bow her head and kind of laugh, we were all having a good time, and I was happy to be meeting and spending time with her and her family.. And happy is the correct word, everyone there although poor are just the happiest people I've ever met, nothing brings these people down, laughter and smiles day in and day out. After dinner Yen and I continued exchanging loving words on the paper as she preferred this to outright talking with all of her family being in the taxi. We were driving to Haiphong which was her town and its about a 2 hour drive. By the time we arrive its about 10 pm and I am driven to my hotel which they have pre-arranged for me and it is exactly what I need after spending over 30 hours on airplanes and sleeping in airport plastic chairs. Lights out, I'm sleeping...
  The next morning I wake up take a shower (oh yes hot water included) and kinda start going through my things. At about 8am every morning she would walk over to my hotel to get me for breakfast. My hotel was only about a 5 minute walk from where we at breakfast at her friend of the family's house. Prior e-mails have paid off and egg and bacon sandwiches are what I get. Now I did try there traditional breakfast once and although I absolutely love Vietnamese food, their breakfasts are a little to much for me to handle very sour tasting liquid with this slimy rice goo... I'll take the egg and bacon sandwich thank you ha ha... I always loved this time of the day as we were always alone and we could sit there for an hour and hold each other or she'd sit sideways in my lap with her arms around me and we would say loving words to eachother. I truly miss every second of all that now that I'm back home and am awaiting the approval of her K1 visa. But our days were always filled with something new. The first day we caught a bus to her parents house which was kinda out in the outskirts not to far but definitely more of a rural setting with rice fields surrounding the area. Her family was great and they could not have done anything differently to make me feel more at home with them. Her father would take me on walks through his gardens and through the game of sherades I learned how each plant could be eaten and how you could reproduce it. I saw how meals were prepared in the outside room that was the kitchen and heat was made from making your own charcoal pellets. Don't know how else to describe it, but they compact a charcoal or coal dust into this pellet that is about the size of a coffee can. They light a smaller fire under the pellet in this special canister and fan the fire by hand until the pellet is red hot and then pots and pans are put on top of the canister. Very labor intensive compared to just turning a knob and wa-la heat, like were all used to. The second day we went to another relatives house and so on and so on. Green tea was consumed at every sitting and even though I thought it tasted like watery spinach I drank with a smile. Some of the highlights of our adventures is we climbed a couple mountains which was really cool because from up there I could really see my surroundings mostly rice fields that went on as far as I could see. We also went to Do Son beach and got to run around in the waves. Everywhere we went was a photoshoot, we have got tons of photos for our pending visa. At our engagement ceremony we must have at least 100 photos. And everyone asks me "Thats for an engagement! looks like a wedding" ha ha yes they really do go all out for the engagement ceremony and it does resemble a western wedding, she wears a very pretty red dress, we put on each others rings, cut the cake together, I even had to give a speech in front of the 100 or so folks who attended which was translated by her English teacher. Did I mention it was through a PA loudspeaker system??? ha ha I had no prior knowledge I was going to be making a speech that day but whipped up something good as everyone clapped as the teacher was finished translating. I was there for 11 days and after the ceremony we had 2 days left to spend with eachother. As the days passed I was getting sadder and sadder I knew the time we had together was growing to an end, and she was feeling the same way. those last couple days we spent much time alone just holding eachother and talking about our great future we were going to have. She really is the most loving person I have ever met, I don't know how to go into detail about why but she just is, the way shes always concerned with my feelings and my well being I've never felt so loved in my life. And never once did anyone mention were so happy your taking yen to America, it was always were so happy you and Yen are so happy. No one ever mentioned that America was going to be the reason for a better life for her, they were all happy we were happy..... The day finally came where we had to take the 2 hour drive back to Hanoi airport and our hands never parted the whole way there, I could see she was crying but trying not to make a scene in front of her parents so I just held her a little tighter and told her it was all going to be OK soon once we got her, her visa. The parting from her and her family was a sad time at the airport and I tried to make the goodbye quick as I didn't want to start tearing up in front of them all. I promised I'd write them an email once I got back to singapore and then again when I arrived home in the states and did so.... But at any rate our papers are sent off and now were awaiting her interview in Vietnam but I know that can take many months... I'm really hoping I can get her here before summers end as I'd like her to see some of the outside stuff before winter hits here... I know I've left out a ton stuff and maybe I'll write more here later. If anyone has any questions or is about to make the trip don't be shy to write me a question here... thanks for reading guys... Vietnam is great place to find a great girl....

Mike...

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
Re: To Vietnam, engaged, and back
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 08:17:20 AM »
Hey Mike:
Great story! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Looking forward to seeing pictures. PM with link if you don't want to post them publicly.

- Jeff

Offline BigBlock502

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:17 PM »
heres a couple, hope you like them...

Mike...

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:17 PM »

Offline BigBlock502

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:59:52 PM »

Offline BigBlock502

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 11:02:42 PM »

Offline BigBlock502

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:05:59 PM »

Offline BigBlock502

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 11:07:51 PM »

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 07:47:41 AM »
Thanks Mike - Pretty girl. Wish you two the best of everything.

- Jeff

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • Russian Women Discussion
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 08:35:26 AM »
heres a couple, hope you like them...

Mike...

Wonderful photos - beautiful wife.

Thanks for sharing those with us Mike.

- Dan

Offline Tim

• http://groups.yahoo.com/group/China-USA-Couples/
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Nice pics, thanks for sharing!
PM me if you need help or want more info about China-related issues.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 03:17:37 PM »
Inspiring story and great pics, thanks for sharing!

Offline BigBlock502

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 03:20:14 PM »
Thanks guy, I'll keep you posted on our K1 Visa application. I sent all that stuff in about a week ago. guess we play the waiting game now, I'm really hoping I can get her over here before summers end.

Mike..

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 03:20:14 PM »

Offline bundy_138

• Latinas can be addictive....trust me!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 11:13:40 AM »
Great story!  I have one question.....How much of the language do you know?  I am meeting my significant other in three weeks and do not speak the language very well and am curious how my initial meeting will go.  Thanks for sharing your story, it was very nice.

Bundy
If you don't take care of your woman, someone else will.  (Bundy)

Offline BigBlock502

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 02:30:09 PM »
She and her friends knew english pretty well, as long as I spoke slow but not to slow she understood what I was saying, and she writes even better. When her other family members talked to me she translated what we were saying. But I talk to her everynight on yahoo chat and she correct words I mis-spell ha ha, but then again she goes to school 7 days a week to learn her english and they are very serious about their schooling. Hope this helped? Does your other half write or speak any english? but then again there were many times when me and her father would go off walking and he didn't speak one world but through hand jestures and and nodding we were able to communicate... crazy how that works but it does...

Mike..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 02:31:54 PM by BigBlock502 »

Offline bundy_138

• Latinas can be addictive....trust me!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »
I might be iin the same boat as you BB502.  Mine can read and write a little, but doesn't speak much English.  I am the same way.  I can read it and understand, but I can't make a complete sentence.  I can do the basics (greetings, ordering food, asking directions)  But as far as having an in depth conversation, forget it!

Hopefully the hand gestures, translation books, and writing will be helpful.

Bundy
If you don't take care of your woman, someone else will.  (Bundy)

Offline Looking4Wife

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »
Mike:

Congratulations, and best wishes to you and your lovely fiancee.  I have been on the Latin forum for a couple of years, and I just started looking at the Asian forum in the last few days.  Great photos, especially the one of you and Yen at the engagement ceremony.  She's very beautiful.  Your trip report was well written and very romantic.  Thanks for sharing.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 178