It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Cartagena  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Rschnb67

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Cartagena
« on: January 28, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »
I hear that Cartagena is very touristy has anyone been there?  I am planning a trip alone and safety is a huge concern for me I was originally going to Barranquilla but people seem to think going in solo speaking not a ton of spainish that Cartagena is more gringo friendly for first Colombian trip .  any input??

Offline buencamino2

• Trips: Resident
Re: Cartagena
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
I stayed at Kartaxa, a boutique hotel about six months ago. Good location inside the walled city.

http://hotelkartaxacartagena.com/en/

Offline AndyLee

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 06:00:05 PM »
I spent a month in Barranquilla and two weeks in Cartagena at a time when I didn´t speak hardly any Spanish. I never felt at risk in either city. Except at the one barrio in Soledad, outside of Barranquilla, where the taxi driver would´t take me any farther, saying he felt afraid. That was the only time i turned around and left.
My biggest concern was that I felt really stupid for not having learned Spanish before I came. Now that I speak Spanish I would´t hesitate to go to either city again.
Cartagena is touristy, no doubt. Something like 100,000 gringos per year disembark from one of the many cruise ships and there are tons of other tourists downtown. But, nonetheless you can have a good time there and meet some pretty girls if that´s what you are hoping.
If you are unhappy change something. Quit your job. Move. Leave your miserable relationship. Stop making excuses. You are in control.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 06:00:05 PM »

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
I hear that Cartagena is very touristy has anyone been there?  I am planning a trip alone and safety is a huge concern for me I was originally going to Barranquilla but people seem to think going in solo speaking not a ton of spainish that Cartagena is more gringo friendly for first Colombian trip .  any input??

From my ventures there I don't think it is a very dangerous city, but as usual if you go to the wrong place off the beaten trail, or get blindly drunk anything can happen.  I stayed in nice hotels, and pretty much the touristy areas, the walled city is really a neat place to see.. 

Enjoy,
Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
When a couple cruze ships arrive, you will think you are in Disneyland or something. The tourists wll outnumner the locals. But you will still be pestered by all the street vendors every step of the way.

Cartagena is far  safer than taking a shower or standing in an elecctric storm. Very historic, and nice beaches in the Islas Rosarios and Isla Baru (have to take a boat).

But the heat is oppressive, like anywhere in the Southern Carribean.

Offline whitey

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
Depends on what you want out of your trip, and since you're posting on this site, presumably you're more interested in a relationship potentially leading to marriage than tourism.

Barranquilla is not a tourist city - apart from one week during Carnaval, the tourism is inconsequential as there are few attractions of interest.  It does have a lot of very beautiful women though (especially if you like morenas - google it if you have to), but it is basically a hot, dusty, sprawling, noisy, industrial, somewhat dirty city.

Cartagena is the most touristic city in Colombia, deservedly so for it's beautiful old colonial centro historico section.  The Getsemani neighbourhood is interesting too, but it's more of a backpacker enclave.  The beaches in Cartagena are not particularly nice, but there are some nicer beaches within about an hour.  If you are an inexperienced gringo tourist without much Spanish, you are much more likely to run into prepagos and prostitutes there than in Barranquilla.  If you happen to like negritas, there are many beautiful ones in Cartagena.

I enjoy both places, been to both many times (my wife is from Barranquilla), so it really depends on what you want out of the trip.  They are only 1.5 hours apart by road, so you can visit both if you want.

Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:04:52 PM »
What are your goals on this trip? It's my own opinion but Colombia is rough if you can't speak Spanish. Even the people who think they can speak English there really can't speak it except for the younger generation which surprised me the last time I was there. I met some kids who learned English just from social media and television and movies and they spoke passable English.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 04:25:35 AM »
I was watching this guy's videos on Youtube couple of days ago:

A Day in Cartagena,Colombia - Gabriel Traveler

This guy doesn't speak Spanish and he didn't seem to have any problems there. He did get robbed in Bogota though:

Robbed While Traveling in Colombia

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:37:41 AM »
I've never been to Baranquilla but from what I've heard there's not much reason to go there other than the beautiful women.  Like everyone has already said it's hot, humid, ugly, and very little english is spoken there.

There used to be a guy who posted here "bachata heights" who loved Baranquilla, he thought I was crazy for wanting to travel to Medellin instead of Barranquilla.  He was into the nightlife and party scene and talked about partying with university chicas so there is probably some great fun to be had there, but it's probably not what you'd call "touristy".

I never was interested in visiting Barranquilla before but I'm starting to think I'd like to check it out.

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:05:46 AM »
Been Many times to Cartagena and all over the downtown as well , which is not near the old city.
Never felt unsafe at all

Isla Rosarios are a must side trip

After about 3 days it is kind of a boring place though. And bring your wallet. I started going in early 2002 when it was pretty darn cheap. Now it looks to be on par with places like Miami, ect--No Gracias--Have fun.
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline vikingo

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »
I've never been to Baranquilla but from what I've heard there's not much reason to go there other than the beautiful women.  Like everyone has already said it's hot, humid, ugly, and very little english is spoken there.

There used to be a guy who posted here "bachata heights" who loved Baranquilla, he thought I was crazy for wanting to travel to Medellin instead of Barranquilla.  He was into the nightlife and party scene and talked about partying with university chicas so there is probably some great fun to be had there, but it's probably not what you'd call "touristy".

I never was interested in visiting Barranquilla before but I'm starting to think I'd like to check it out.
Awsome, I'm in the process of changing chicas, just stay out of Barranquilla until I find what I'm looking for, OK?
Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »
Awsome, I'm in the process of changing chicas, just stay out of Barranquilla until I find what I'm looking for, OK?

Come on dont' be like that viking!  Don't keep all the hot costenas to yourself, you gotta spread the love around a little bit jaja!

Every time I go to Medellin I meet a couple costenas who are living in Medellin for work or school and I absolutely love those girls.  I might as well go to the source and see what I can find...   ;D

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »
You know the joke about teold bull and the young bull?
Vikingo is the old bull.

Come on dont' be like that viking!  Don't keep all the hot costenas to yourself, you gotta spread the love around a little bit jaja!

Every time I go to Medellin I meet a couple costenas who are living in Medellin for work or school and I absolutely love those girls.  I might as well go to the source and see what I can find...   ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »

Offline vikingo

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 10:05:37 PM »
I didn't know the joke Elex, so I looked it up on google, good one.
Actually I extended my search now outside of Colombia, so I think it's safe for Awesome to come to BAQ
Not telling you guys where I'm looking, don't need any competition at this moment.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 11:09:03 PM »
I didn't know the joke Elex, so I looked it up on google, good one.
Actually I extended my search now outside of Colombia, so I think it's safe for Awesome to come to BAQ
Not telling you guys where I'm looking, don't need any competition at this moment.

I'm pretty sure you and I are drawing from a totally different pool of women.  And if somehow we were after the same woman/women I'm sure they would like us for totally completely different reasons.

Offline vikingo

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »
Yeah, just having some fun. I didn't think you'd be looking for a 50 year old with no kids.

Offline Thebatman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
I went to Cartagena for a week for the first time last fall; totally enjoyed myself doing all the tourist things...the old city, the big fort on the hill, the big monastery on the hill....lots to see. Glad I went. Now, the beach is just disgusting, dirty and full of people selling you things. Went once there, and that was enough! Also one day I hired a driver to take me up the coast to Barranquilla for a day. Wow, what a weird place. I can't really comment on the girls, all I know is that as some here say, it's a sprawling industrial town with zero charm. The downtown looks like a scene from a Mad Max movie, post a nuclear melt down. I was only there a day, so it might be a great place, but it looked so dragged down to me. Won't go back.

Also, doubt I will go back to Cartagena. Loved seeing the tourist sites, but it is overwhelming that everywhere you walk that people are trying sell you something. the poverty there is overbearing. Nice for one visit. YMMV.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »
I went to Cartagena for a week for the first time last fall; totally enjoyed myself doing all the tourist things...the old city, the big fort on the hill, the big monastery on the hill....lots to see. Glad I went. Now, the beach is just disgusting, dirty and full of people selling you things. Went once there, and that was enough! Also one day I hired a driver to take me up the coast to Barranquilla for a day. Wow, what a weird place. I can't really comment on the girls, all I know is that as some here say, it's a sprawling industrial town with zero charm. The downtown looks like a scene from a Mad Max movie, post a nuclear melt down. I was only there a day, so it might be a great place, but it looked so dragged down to me. Won't go back.

Also, doubt I will go back to Cartagena. Loved seeing the tourist sites, but it is overwhelming that everywhere you walk that people are trying sell you something. the poverty there is overbearing. Nice for one visit. YMMV.

Your feelings about Cartagena match mine. Once is enough. OTOH, Punta del Este, Uruguay I would gladly return to many times.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »
I was just in Capurgana. Way better experience overall than Cartagena , Santa Marta or San Andreas.

Unless stay in the Demarcaron all inclusive in Isla Barru or Isla Rosarios , in the low season or the best hotel in Providencia in which case you will pay double or triple for the same package I got staying at the Nautilos in Capurgana

I agree once is enough for Cartagena.And Barranquilla..forget it..Cali is ugly enough for me
.and from what I have heard repeatedly, Baq. Is way worse, hotter, dirtier, more disorganized. Wouldnt go there if you país me (unless it was a lot).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:02:52 AM by Elexpatriado »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864