It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Questions about the Medical / Interview  (Read 1122 times)

Offline goldenfavre

• Probie
Questions about the Medical / Interview
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:06:23 PM »
I have questions about the medical for a visa from the Philippines to the US.  I'd really appreciate any advice on my questions.

Are there dental requirements for passing the medical? 

Should you schedule the medical for the same day, week, or do it way in advance of the interview?

What if she fails the medical?  (example: doesn't pass the dental exam)  Can she have the interview before she passes medical?  So, should I wait until she passes medical before I schedule the interview?

Also, does anyone know how long the waiting list is for the interview?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Questions about the Medical / Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »

I have questions about the medical for a visa from the Philippines to the US.  I'd really appreciate any advice on my questions.

Are there dental requirements for passing the medical? 

Should you schedule the medical for the same day, week, or do it way in advance of the interview?

What if she fails the medical?  (example: doesn't pass the dental exam)  Can she have the interview before she passes medical?  So, should I wait until she passes medical before I schedule the interview?

Also, does anyone know how long the waiting list is for the interview?

Thank you in advance.

No, there is no dental exam.

She should have her medical at least 1 week before her interview. The medical exam is not scheduled, but the interview date must be scheduled before the she has the medical exam.

If she “fails” the medical, it depends on which part she didn’t pass. Some things will disqualify you outright for immigration to the US, but others may require more information, further tests, or treatment of a condition before she is cleared for a visa. For example, if she “fails” the chest x-ray for Tuberculosis, she will need further tests which may take 2-3 additional days, or sometimes drug treatment that may take up to several months. The folks at the clinic where the exam is done can tell her if she should go ahead with the interview or reschedule it later, depending on the exam results.

Which visa, spousal or fiancée? The wait for a spousal visa appt. through the NVC is approx. 3-5 months. K-visa appointments are done differently…not sure of the wait time.

Note: If she needs dental care, it will be about 1/10th the cost over there so she should take care of that before leaving.

Ray

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »
Ray's advice is great and besides dental work being much, much cheaper there, also have her eyes checked. I bet half of the people in the Philippines need eye glasses and don't know it or if they do, they can't afford them. Have her ask around about who's a good dentist and optometrist--not the most expensive one who specializes in tourists, but a 'good' local one.

I think my wife paid a Davao City dentist four or five dollars a piece for a few tooth fillings  and a pittance for an exam (we pay $110 to $150 a filling here and $160 for just a cleaning) and her Filipina fillings are fine five years later. The eye glasses she got, in terms of the eye exam being 'right' in correcting her near sightedness was awful and the eyeglasses themselves were crap quality, which is why I say have her ask around about who gives good dental and eye exams.

My wife is 5'0 tall and about 90 pounds, and wished she'd bought pants, especially dress pants, that fit her 'just right' back in Philippines to bring here. She has a real hard time finding pants in the USA that don't need hemming or other alterations. I think any Filipina  who's 5'4 or under, will have a challenge finding clothes like she can at home, especially clothes that aren't purely casual. Places that do have pants that might fit here, like Banana Republic and Express, get  $60, $70 or more for a decent--for not really that impressive looking, pairs of slacks. The cheaper store's stuff here is not only cheap in quality too, but is geared to the  Barbie pink  "tween ager' set. I will not have my wife running around with words like 'Phat Farm' and 'Hot Stuff' embroidered across her butt.

Shoes and lingerie are a lot less over there too. One way or another, you're going to pay there or here, I figure, might as well pay less now and get what she likes. The Triumph brand bra is the same as the Victoria's Secret, I hear, I just don't think V.S. has many, if any stores there, so they sell under a different name there. Wish I knew that before dishing out $55 for the nicer V.S. bras here....

I bet a lot of the above info would apply to you guys chasing those lovely ladies south of the U.S. border, as well.

Ray, gave the most important stuff about the medical, based on what info he was given, but here's a little repost of mine from before on St. Lukes. Good luck!

>>The medical at St. Lukes was fine--no problem. My wife was really worried, as their are all kinds of horror stories about supposedly mean dyke nurses and doctors, rough exams, etc. For us and those we know who've also been through it, the worst part was the line and once in, the waiting. If you have your period at the same time as you go there, (your finance, not you, hehe) that'll cause a delay, and having to fly from wherever your home is to Manila's St. Lukes for the exam is an inconvenience, but the exam should be fine.<<
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
Shoes and lingerie are a lot less over there too. One way or another, you're going to pay there or here, I figure, might as well pay less now and get what she likes. The Triumph brand bra is the same as the Victoria's Secret, I hear, I just don't think V.S. has many, if any stores there, so they sell under a different name there. Wish I knew that before dishing out $55 for the nicer V.S. bras here....
There are no VS stores in the Philippines - I did check.
I come across a store that were selling VS stuff but they were the beauty products - mostly the sample size lotions & the Secret Garden line.  I didn't go in to check the prices.

As for the Triumph & VS bras being the same - In a way they are - some of Triumph products are manufactured by MAST Industries (a subsidiary of Limited Brand - parent company of VS). So since they are manufactured in the same factory as VS - in a way they are, they just have different labels. But don't tell that to some people - if it do not have the label they like, then....... 
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 202