It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: BAQ Trip 5 - Got married  (Read 5896 times)

Offline Montrealer

BAQ Trip 5 - Got married
« on: July 03, 2006, 04:10:06 AM »
So, I'm back and what a great trip.  For those newbies that haven't been following my adventure and are interested, please read my previous trip reports.

So I got back on Wednesday, the 28th, but I'm having internet problems, so I didn't post right away.  I'm stuck using dial-up till I can get things fixed, so forgive me if I don't reply to questions/comments very quickly.  I also am too impatient to read all the posts while I was away, so I hope I didn't miss anything.

Now for the report.  It's a long one, so go to the bathroom now and get a coffee.

So I left here June 7th to go down to BAQ for my wedding.  Although this was going to be the most eventful trip, it was also going to be one of the shortest, 3 weeks, due to my work load.

So I arrived in BAQ the evening of the 7th.  All my flights were on time, except for the Avianca flight from BOG to BAQ.  I don't know what it is with late night flights from BOG, but they are always delayed.

Upon my arrival to BAQ airport, I was met by LS, her sister, 1 brother, and her step-dad.  It was just around midnight.  As always, I took a quick walk by the exit to wave to her and blow her a kiss before picking up my bags.  Upon getting my bags, I hurried out as fast as possible and we greeted eachother with a big hug and kiss, one that was almost like I was away at war for years, and not just away from her for the past 5 weeks.  She missed me with all her heart as I did miss her the same.  After our initial embrace, which seemed to last forever, I greeted her family, and was very much welcomed again by them.  It seems they missed me almost as much as I missed LS.  It is nice to be greeted by such a warm family (now my family), as my family is very distant.

We then drove home.  Like last time, I stayed at her house, in her room, in her bed with her.  Of course, as we were not married yet, her sister slept on the floor most of the days, so late night privacy was obsolete most of the days.  But that was okay.  We're now in a relationship where we don't immediately feel the need to jump eachothers bones everytime were together.  Also we talked about it prior, that during this trip we would obstain from anymore pre-marital sex prior to the wedding.  It was fine by me (most of the time, I am a man still).

During the first couple days we just caught up with eachother, as well as worked out some of the final arrangements for the wedding.  There were still some minor details and payments that she wanted my okay on.  I had made all the money she needed for the wedding expenses available to her.  A little over 5K CDN.  She had everything calculated and receipts and written down for me.  Like last time, I took a quick browse over everything, but had no intention of counting pesos.  There were a few last minute details for the wedding that we had not calculated prior (it's easy to overlook them).  So with the remainder of the funds that she had and a little bit more from me we had everything paid for.

On June 10th, we were to be legally wed at the notary.  We had almost all of the documents needed, but we we missing my divorce agreement, but the notary let it slide as he was a friend of the family.  Her immediate family attended the ceremony, her parents, siblings, and aunt.  I had her brother record and take pictures of the ceremony.  It was relatively simple, and the notary was nice enough to speak a beat slower to make sure I understood everything.  (My spanish is now considered excellent, except for when they are speaking at the supersonic Latin speed).  We said our "I do's" and exchanged rings followed by a kiss of the bride.  We were in and out of the whole thing with 20 minutes, which was fine with us as we didn't consider this ceremony to be our wedding.  That would come on the 18th.

After the ceremony, we all head out to eat, where her step-dad flipped the bill for 9 people at a nice steak house.  Not cheap for him, but he refused to except my help with the bill.  We took some more photos.  Then headed home.  We wore our rings until bed time, then locked them away again until the 18th.

The next week was very relaxed.  Mostly just calling to confirm things for the reception.  Flowers, car, food, etc.  Then we got a call from her church with some fabulous news.  Her church was willing to do a church ceremony, even though it would have no legal standing.  The only catch, is it would have to be done through the regular service.  LS was so excited by this, and therefore I was happy because it was important to LS.  This was the first time the church was going to do a wedding during a service, as normally weddings are done on a private manner.  The church warned us that it would not be like a normal church ceremony, but that the pastor would try to make it as special as possible for us.  To see the smile on LS's face, priceless.  Getting married in a church is something that I favoured, but it wasn't a must for me, but a definate plus.  

We did have to make a donation, which is to be understood.  And we did have to go to the "wedding classes" that were offered by the church.  The classes were pretty straight forward and just the basic common sense stuff about how to make a marriage work.  The only part I disagreed with was the "teacher's" view on raising children.  He read a passage from the Bible that stated it was okay to hit your children, not with excessive force, but still to lay any type of hand on a child I believe ot be wrong.  I told the "teacher" this immediately and threatened to walk out if that was something that the church believed was the proper way.  The teacher made a half azz attempt to explain to me why it is okay, but I only stayed because I knew it was important to LS, and LS assured me she did not believe in being physical with children (we had talked about child rearing before).  So I bit my toungue and sat through the rest of the class.  I later confirmed again with LS, that I will not tolerate being physical with any children, in any way.  She agreed, and I sighed a sigh of relief once again.  This is just another reason why I believe in God, but not organized religion.  (I don't mean any attacks on any religious people out there, just my own personal views).

During the week before the wedding, we did have our bachelor / bachelorette parties.  We did them together at the house.  It was just easier than heading out and stagerring home for me, and it was also much more of a family affair.  The women claimed rights to the front patio, and the men to the sidewalk in front of the house.  Although the parties were seperate, they were interacting.  There was alcohol served, but no one got drunk.

The day before the wedding, I had gone to spend the night at Hotel Vallclaire with her 2 brothers.  We layed back and relaxed, watching the World Cup games, lounging in the pool, downing a case of 24, and mostly just chilling out.  We did have to go and pick up our rental suits.  The brothers rented only white pants, and I rented the white pants and jacket.  LS and me had decided that since the reception would be outside, that I should where all white clothing with brown shoes, belt, and we added a brown leather cowboy hat to the ensemble.  I looked like Juan Valdez dressed to the T's, a real costeno.

The following morning, we woke up at 5:30 to start to get ready.  The service at the church was to start at 9:30.  Her uncle, also a taxi driver, had picked us up at 8:30 and quickly dropped off the brothers at the house, picked up the photographers and headed to the church where I would wait for my brides arrival.

LS had woken up at 4 AM to start getting ready.  She had professional make-up, hair, etc. to do.  Plus the rest of her family and the coordinating of the decoration of the car.

Her journey began by her family walking her outside to the car.  We had found a classic 1936/39 ? white and gold antique roadster convertible to rent with driver.  The car was beautiful and all original.  It was a 2-seater convertible with a flip up seat on the exterior in the back.  A rich red velvet interior.  Gorgeous!, and it wasn't an easy find.  Cars like this are easy rentable here in Montreal, and probably in a little better shape, but finding something like this in Colombia is not easy.  Along with this car, we also had a BMW owned by a high ranking local policemen who is a friend of the family who provided security.

On the way to the church, she rode up front with the driver, and her sister rode in the back to watch the train on her veil.  She got to the church about 9:15 and I caught my first glimpse of her, until I was turned around, as I'm not allowed to see the bride before the ceremony.  As the first ceremony cleared out, the decorater quickly decorated the 25 seats we had especially reserved for immediate family.  They than sat me up front in one of the 2 center seats they had placed in front of the Pastor's podium.  Then the family came in ant took there seats, followed by the rest of the church goers.  As everyone was settled in the seats, the Pastor explained to the church goers that there was going to be a wedding during the ceremony.  Then the traditional Wagner "wedding march" started to play, and the bride, my love, entered into the chuch preceeded by evangelical dancers, and flower girls throwing rose pedals at her feet.

She looked gorgeous.  Like someone that I could fall in love with more and more each morning.  Like a goddess.  Like the queen that she is, at least to me.  Her dress was a strapless, tight fitting, long dress that gently brushed the floor with every step she took.  It was decorated with white emboidered flowers across her chest and throughout the bottom portion of her dress, and each flower had a pearl, which matched her pearl and diamong necklace and earings (replicas, not real).  Her hair was done up revealing her neck.  It was in a bun surrounded by braids, and attached to that was a long train/veil, which flowed behind her and was probably about 12 feet long and needed to be carried by her sister as she walked towards me down the aisle, with her step-dad on her arm.  When she reached me, her step-dad gave me her hand, shook my hand, and then took a seat.  She then lloked at me right in the eyes, like we were the only ones that existed in the church, in the city, in the world.  She smiled, whispered "te amo" to me, while trying to hold back a tear of happiness, so that she wouldn't ruin her make-up.  She joined my side.

The church ceremony took about an hour and a half, including the time that was dedicated to us, which mostly took place about an hour in.  The pastor would bounce back and forth from comments to the church-goers and us, so that we would not get bored.  The main part of the ceremony involved us stating our vows to eachother.  Then followed by a representation of items symbolizing our marriage.  The was a plate of coins, oil, bread and grape soda (I'm guessing equivelent of wine, which made me laugh), then the lighting of the mutual candle, where 2 candles are lit and we take them and light a 3rd candle together using the flames from the first 2 candles.  Then we exited the church first, where we were congratulated by the church goers on the way out.  We had some photo-ops outside then hopped into the back seat of the car and off we went as the entire church clapped for us.

We had to stop by the house for about 20 minutes to get the rest of the guests for the reception.  We had originally invited 100 people, we confirmed 92, but only 85 ish showed up.  We had arranged for 2 buses to bring the majority of the guests to the reception from her house.  Some people took there own cars.  For the trip to the reception, LS and me went in the flip up seat of the antique car, with the driver and one armed security guard up front.  It was a 30 minute drive to the reception area, and we led the way, with the buses behind us and the security and other cars in tow.  On the entire drive to the reception, cars honked, strangers cheered, people gawked, and we downed most of a bottle of champagne, while waving to the onlookers.

Upon arriving at the reception area, the beach front home/reception hall, we waited in the car until we got the signal.  Once we got the signal, we entered the main garden, where the men were lined on one side and the women the other, we walked through the center as they cheered and clapped.  We then led them to the main reception area, where the band started to play a waltz.  We took the center of the dance floor and danced our first song as husband and wife.  After the first song, her step-dad cut in and I asked the mom to dance.  And slowly she danced with the more important men, as I did with the women, until we met eachothers arms again about 20 minutes later.  By this time we were both starting to get tired, but once we joined eachothers arms again, it was like we had been revived with energy and continued dancing, all while sharing the few words of "te amo mi esposo/esposa" to eachother.  Nothing more needed to be said.  Our eyes had a conversation on there own.  We maybe only danced another few minutes together then, but it seemed to play in slow motion with no one around, like we were dancing on the moon and the guests were so distant they were watching from telescopes.

We then took to the shade at the main table and gave our toast to the guests.  SALUD!  Her step-dad also gave a toast, and then her mother.

We then did the rounds and thanked each table for coming, and taking the opportunity for more photo-ops.

Let the good times begin!  The booze was cracked open, the music got much more upbeat with a combination of salsa, cumbia, and vallenato.  Then it was time to eat.  It was a simple buffet and I filled up on the "arroz con coco", I love that stuff.  There was also salad, steamed vegetables, orange chicken and beef in gravy.  All pretty good, but not the best, but who cared at that point.

After the food, more danicing and drinking continued.  By this time, there were already a few drunk guests.  LS and me had joked that we were going to be the most drunk at our wedding, but neither of us accomplished it because we were having such a good time without the alcohol.  Not to say we didn't drink, but we ended up finishing only half of our drinks then getting up to go party some more, then going back and getting a new drink.  Plus were both beer drinkers and not big fans of whiskey which everyone else there loved.

At about 6 PM, we had the place until 7 PM, we wanted to do something a little crazy.  We had joked about it prior about jumping into the pool with all our clothes on.  So, at 6PM, we asked the cameramen to follow us to the pool privately, where we removed our shoes, made a running start and SPLASH!  Her in her wedding dress, hair and make-up, and me in my white suit.  Within minutes, the word had spread that we were in the pool, and a crown had gathered cheering us on.

At 7:30ish we had the buses loaded up to head back to her house where the party would continue.  When we got to the house, the party was still about 40 people strong and we had anticipated it, so we had left behind a few bottles of whiskey.  At about 11PM, LS and me decided it was time to call it a night.  We didn't stay at a hotel that night because we were getting an early ride to Cartagena airport in the morning (more on that in a sec).  We didn't even say good-bye to our guests, but just head off to the bedroom.  You would think that since we were now married that we would have been ripping eachothers clothes off, and even though we both thought about it, we were both too dead tired to move.  We went to be in eachothers arms as husband and wife that night for the first time.  We were both overjoyed with having chosen who we married and who we planned on spending the rest of our lives with.

The following morning we got up at 5 AM to drive to Cartagena airport to catch a flight to San Andres for our honeymoon.  We didn't leave directly from BAQ because the flight was too late in the afternoon and we didn't want to lose a day.  Although we would be flying back directly to BAQ.  We used Aero Republica, which for a short flight is okay, but I wouldn't reccomend them for long flights.

We had booked everything through a travel agent there.  Originally we were going to be staying at the Decamarun Aquarium, based on the pictures and the natural pool layout.  However, we had made the plans too late and the agency didn't have any rooms left at the Aquarium.  We decided on Decamarun San Luis for a 5 day honeymoon.

We got to San Andres and took the taxi to our hotel.  We were very pleased with our choice.  The hotel was very beautiful and it had its own beach right across the street.  The only real complaint was the size of the rooms.  The were tiny, and the air conditioner didn't work all that well.  The bar had a wide variety of alcohol to choose from, and I think we tried every drink there.  There was not one Gringo at the hotel, but there was a family from Gremany, Israel, and most latin american countries were represented.  They said they get a lot of Canadians in the winter, which doesn't surprise me.

We did take a little advantage of the opportunity to visit the other Decamarun hotels.  The only negative thing was if you wanted to eat at the other hotels, you had to reserve a day earlier, and get to the reception desk early as it fills up fast.  But the snack bar does not need a reservation.  I'll give a quick run down of the hotels that we saw.

Decamarun San Luis - Mediocre food.  Good Bar service.  Lousy snack bar.  Very good beach, had the clearest water, but alot of rocks on bed.  Mediocre pools.  Small rooms.  Excellent activities and activity coordinators (very cool people).  Check-in annoyances.  Distant from outside hotel activities.  Club was good, and even though there were alot of latin cultures and people, there dancing skills were horrible, which made me look good.  Night shows were good to great.

Decamarun Aquarium - Natural pool is over-rated, after 45 minutes we were bored with it.  No beach.  Good bar service. Not near any good locations outside hotel.  Nicely maintained hotel, but they are still in renovation phase in one part.

Decamarun Marazul - Great pool.  Worst beach on the island, unclear water and a sea grass bottom.  Great food.  Good bar service.  According to other guests and hotel staff, the best night club of all the Decamaruns.

Decamarun Isleno - Very nice hotel.  Great beach, although not as clear as San Luis, no rocks.  Bar is distant from everything.  Very close to downtown shopping and other non-hotel things to do.

Overall, I would reccomend Isleno as the best, followed by San Luis.  If you can't get a reservation at one of these 2 Decamarun hotels, I would suggest not using Decamarun.

At San Luis, we were very friendly with the activity staff.  Most of them were from BAQ and CTG, and just a really cool group of people.  We participated in a late night show called "best couple".  It was a series of challenges that we had to do in order to win crowd applause.  First challenge was the woman had to get a ball from one pants leg and out the other using only her face, while the man does a sexy dance on stage.  Second, the men had to serenade the woman to a surprise song.  I had to serenade LS to the theme song of Rocky.  I won big points on this one.  Then the men were taken into the back, put in baggy pants while the women were blindfolded and had to find there man by squeezing the butts.  Then when the woman made her choice, which everyone got right, we would go and give them a kiss while they were still blindfolded, then they would switch one man with another and remove the blindfold letting the woman think she kissed someone else.  And the last, was popping balloons in 3 sexual positions.  LS and me easily won the complete competition, mostly because I have no objection of making a fool out of myself on stage.  She laughed all the way through the competition and was the color red half the time.  Also the animators were really cool with us, so they made comments that would help us win.  They invited us out to a club the last night we were there, but we were too tired to go with them.

We didn't do a tour of Johnny Cay, even though lots of people said it was a must.  We didn't feel like leaving the hotel for that long without having the option of returning.

We got back to BAQ on the 24th.  Prior to getting married and leaving for the honeymoon, we had mailed off the application for the student visa, hoping that we would get a response back before I left on the 27th.  But no answer yet.  The embassy says they make all the decisions within 15 business days, which would be Tuesday, July 4th, so we are going to be waiting until Thursday before contacting them if she hasn't received it by then.  We figure don't rush them.  We are confident of her getting approved.

I spoke to her last night, and she has said something that would change our lives forever, for the better, but we are waiting another 10 days before thinking anything, but we are both keeping our fingers crossed.  I won't say it out loud, but you can probably already guess.  We are both leaving it in God's hand and let things be his will.

I'm back in Montreal now.  I will be going to pick up my wife once her student visa gets approved and I finish with a present client, so that I can devote as much time with her as possible when she arrives to help her get adjusted to her new lifestyle with me.  We are thinking mid-August.

That's my report from my last trip.  This will be my last trip report, as any reports in the future will be titled "Life Reports".

I will post some photos once I get my cable internet back, as uploading them with dial-up is painfully slow.  So check back when you see a reply.  Feel free to leave any comments or questions.

Somebody asked me when I came back to Montreal, "Are you happy with the choice you made and do you think that she is happy with the choice she made?"
I had to think of the answer to this question for less than a second.  I answered "Yes!":D
Send more divers, the last ones tasted great!  -  JAWS

Offline Looking4Wife

RE: BAQ Trip 5 - Got married
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 05:38:32 AM »
Great report, and congratulations on your wedding!  My prayers are with you on your continued happiness and success with your marriage!

Looking forward to your photos...

Looks like we didn't get to hook up this time in BAQ... I know you had your hands full with wedding prep, and I had my hands full with my wife (literally :-))... but hopefully we can cross paths in the future...

Felicidades, otra vez!

Offline conocerme

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:23:02 PM »

Montrealer -

Congratulations on your marriage.  I think everyone here on the forum wishes you and Looking4Wife and sus esposas the very best.

That was quite a trip report.  Thanks for going through the effort to post it.

I hope both you L4W are able to have your wives join you soon.

conocerme

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:23:02 PM »

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 08:05:06 AM »
Great story Polar bear! I hope you decide to post some pics somewhere, sounds like you are living out a dream.  Now lets just hope your little polar bear takes after mama in the looks department.JaJaJa

Fathertime
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Patrick

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »
Monte,

Congratulations on both the marriage and the little "life changer" on the way.  It definitely does change your life, and in a good way IMHO.  Hope to hear some good updates from you in the future.

Offline English

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 10:45:46 PM »
Congratulations Montrealer,

You are an inspiration to us all that true love and happiness is around the corner if you devote the time and energy to the search.
***You only have one life to live, so live it to the fullest***

Offline EbonyPrince

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 08:47:35 PM »
Hey Monty excellent trip report as always.  Congratulations!  I wish you and your new bride the very best.  You and L4W are truly inspirations to me in my search for that special someone.  All your time on the board and the time to answer my emails were truly appreciated.  Good luck and the best of wishes to you, she, and you know:lol:.

Cao!

Offline Montrealer

PIX uploaded
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 08:25:23 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words.

I've now gotten my internet fixed (finally), so I've uploaded a few pics to share.  Bare in mind these aren't the professional photographers pics, just the pics the brother took during the day on my cam.

www.picturetrail.com
login - mtl2baq2
no password
album titled "the wedding"

* No rude/vulgar comments or pics will be deleted as always.

Offline Fuzzyone

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 04:29:09 PM »
Congratulations!!!!
Montrealear  
 Esperamos que DIOS bendiga su union y pronto puedan estar juntos.
wife's fuzzinone.

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 05:17:41 PM »
Gracias Sra. Fuzzy

Offline jediknight

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 08:24:18 AM »
felicitaciones monty, espero que siempre sean felices. im in barranquilla now, we got back from san andres a few weeks ago after having tied the knot. when i get a chance ill post a report but in the meantime can you email me your wedding pictures since i didnt get to see them. thanks
Que Dios los bendiga siempre.
JK

Offline Looking4Wife

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 10:35:27 AM »
Jediknight:

Congrats on your wedding!  Hopefully you will post some pics... I wouldn't ask you to do anything I wouldn't do! (no pressure...) 8)

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 125