It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Peru  (Read 4815 times)

Offline RexB

Peru
« on: January 25, 2006, 04:39:32 PM »
I got back from Peru a couple weeks ago and thought i would share some stories of my trip. This was my 5th trip to SA. I have been on two with TLC and 3 on my own. I am in my 3rd qtr of Spanish at the Adult Ed.Center and practice in the car on the way to work. I am not very good but dayyum i try hard. Unfortunately my classes are Spanish Grammar which i dont understand, so now i am learning Spanish and English grammar. I hate that part but it is getting easier. If nothing else i am persistant and i will learn this language.
This trip was suppose to be two weeks in Peru and one in Colombia. It did not turn out that way. I stayed the whole time in Peru. This country hopping idea was a mistake. There is not enough time to get to know someone so in retrospect, i think i set myself up failure by trying to do to much at one time. I did have alternate options in case things did not work out regardless of which country i was in. The Peruana i have been writing to for over a year and a half. I had been to Peru twice before this and had not met her. I do well with corresponding albeit letters, email, chat, phone calls. I think you can find out more about a person and they in turn you. I am not a person that requires immediate gratification but this does take patience. This process can be very informative and allows a great amount of time to ask alot of questions. You can learn alot about their intentions, hopes, desires, dreams and it is much easier to detect deceipt and lies. Remember though, it works both ways! Ok, on with some stories.
Arrived in Lima at about 11:00 pm. This woman lives about 9 hours away and she said that she would meet me at the airport. It usually takes a few hours to get thru customs so i told her this and was totally impressed when i got outside and there she was. You know that you can write to someone for a long time and when you finally meet there may be no chemistry whatsoever. Such was not the case. It was electric to sat the least and the comfort and trust level between us was great. Took off for Miraflores to get a room. Finally at the 3rd hotel we found one. Seems a very large group of tourists came in that night so rooms were hard to come by. This woman is religious but very practical so sharing a room, a bed and snuggling was ok but i was informed NO SEX. I am like most men in that if it would have been offered, i would have had to accept. Now of course this is only in keeping with International Foreign Relations. Have to keep up with foreign trade.Ha Ha Ha. Anyway the TRUST part was very important for me. When someone gives you there trust, i feel that it is a special gift. They lend themselves to much pain and hurt if you betray that. Just my thoughts, but a value that i live by.. Stayed in Lima for 3 days getting to know each other. Talked about things i didnt know i could even talk about. The interesting part for me was that we were always talking. That is good for me. I usually dont talk much. She speaks pretty good English and taught herself from watching movies etc. Never went to school for it so impressive to say the least. Remember, she learned from movies and as we all know, everything in them is true? Ya right! This brought up some hilarious conversations.
Ok, i guess i passed the intial test and it is now time to meet the family. We go to San Isidro to the bus district and get tickets. While sitting in the bus depot i had a really weird thing happen. Now Spanish music is playing, people talking, bus departure announcements when all of a sudden it all turned into white noise. I could not pick out one distinct thing to listen to! Strange observation i thought. It was weird. She lives in a city called Huanuco. I kind of know where it is on the map but thats all. I like this part of the trips i take. Going into the unknown! I do consider these trips to be vacations and adventures. If i meet the right woman then it is a plus.Why put yourself under pressure to succeed. All you do is set yourself up for failure and disapointment. There is no time limit to meet someone and it doesnt say anywhere in my Passport that i am required to bring one home. Relax, enjoy and learn about the country and culture. It will pay great dividends when you do meet the right one. WOW, This bus is really nice and we have a hostess. American music playing, HEY WAIT! Where am i? We drive through some very poor sections of Lima. I have been here before and the conditions are apalling. After seeing this as usual i am more than grateful for where i live and lifestyle that i have. As i reflect on this, i think that even the homeless where i live have a much better life than most of these people. I have seen in my travels that poverty is all around us. Some people are just blind to it and it is not always measured in material things. Food for thought! Ok the hostess hands out plastic bags and a cotton ball soaked in alcohol. What the f@rk is this for? Valeska tells me it is in case you get sick. From What? Either the bus ride or from the altitude! If you have ever ridden a bus through the Andes you will know what i am talking about here. OK, works for me. After 5 hours we stop at a restaurant on the east side of the Andes. I get some coca tea for the altitude sickness. I live at 3,500 ft but at somewhere around 14,000 ft it did affect me. It was short lived but nevertheless the sensations were discomforting. In the bus we are watching the "Dukes of Hazzard". Something happened when Valeska said something. I thought, no she didnt say that so i ignored it. A short time later i heard her again "F@CK". My intial thought is "she doesnt know it is a bad word". After asking her about it, she says she knows it is a bad word but "they say it in the movies". I thought it was funny as hell. This scenery is absolutely breathtaking! We get to Huanuco, get our luggage and start walking to find a hotel for me. I have two big suitcases on rollers that i am dragging around. It felt very unsafe and i must tell you that i have been to places where you could not do this and still retain ownership of your goods. Everything went well though. It is a safe place.
Next morning she picks me up and we go to the mercado. This was my favorite place! This is real life going on here. All the breads,fruits,vegys,meats and other goods. The flies on the food and the unclean conditions. OSHA would have a field day here. What a great place though! We run into Mom and Dad while we are out walking around. Lunch is set up with Mom. I didnt know this of course. We meet later and catch a small bus out to the pampas just out of town. Valeska tells me that Mom wants to speak with me. I understand Spanish better than i can speak it. Sometimes this is good, sometimes not. I get the 50 questions from Mom and get a big smile when it is over. This went well, I thought! I know that i need permission from Mom to marry her daughter so i thought this was the time to ask. sidenote here: All i wanted was permission to ask Valeska. I think that what happened was Mom understood this to be me asking for her hand in marriage AT THAT TIME. Her Mother doesnt speak hardly any English. All i heard after this was "matrimonio". Mother was ecstatic to say the least. I asked if i needed to ask Father and was told that Mom is boss so it was not needed. Her Mother kept saying "tiene celeste ojos". It seems that Mother wants a grand child with blue eyes! Both Mother and Valeska then both said "No F@cky F@cky until after". I must say that i laughed so hard i almost cried. I couldnt believe that they both said that. It was absolutely hysterical. I asked her about this and of course was told "The Movies". We returned to her house and met the rest of the family. Played guitar with Dad so i am in them with him. I felt very comfortable there and they welcomed me with open arms. Great family.
Huanuco is hot and sunny so today we went to the piscina. I was sitting on a bench in the shade when a frisbie thing hit me in the foot. It immediately hurt and drew blood from under the toenail. Several of the local kids, id say 8 to 12 years old, gathered around me and wanted to ask the gringo questions. Seems i was a novelty to them, Imagine that? I dont think any of them had ever had the opportunity to see and or talk to one before. I kept hearing "mira, el sangre es rojo". They could not believe that i had red blood. Now how funny is that? This was an intersting cultural exchange. I think that is what they call it LOL. What a great people these Peruvians are.
Went to a city in the jungle called Tingo Maria. That day was voting day in Peru so we went to the local University for her to vote. I have never seen anything like this before. Armed guards with machine guns all over the place. I was surprised that they let me in. Guys, we do have it good in this country and thats for sure and certain. Met a bunch of her friends and saw where Mother teaches school. The next day, 5 people were killed by the Sendero Luminoso, "The Shining Path". They are still very active in this district. DDAAYYYUUUMMM!! That was close!! They eat Americans there dont they?? Ha Ha Ha. It was somewhat disconcerting but still, what an adventure...
Spent the last day in Huanuco with her Mother. I proposed to Valeska this day and Mom took photos of it. How funny is that? Her Mom is really cool. I have found the perfect one for me. I am very happy with her and quite in love with this woman. She has all of the qualities, values, morals and beliefs that i have been looking for. She works for a church co-operative and travels around Peru working with poor children. We went to the church and cemetery every day so that she could light candles for the dead. I am Catholic also but not a fanatic about it. I suppose that between Catholic School, Catechism,Church etc, my Mother burned me out on it. I believe but dont feel i need an organized assembly to profess it.
Went to Cuzco for a few days and met one of her sisters. Great place, lots of history and culture here. I will go back and spend more time here. Back to Lima again. Stayed at a place called the Excalliber. Great place and it was cheap. $35.00 soles a night and included breakfast. Thats like $10.00 US. They even had hot water. No English spoken here but who cares. It was in Miraflores and only about 5 blocks from Kennedy Park. I asked her if she would like an engagement ring. She said that it was not necessary and it is only a material thing. Now come on Guys? How refreshing is that! I insisted so we went shopping for one. This was also a test to see how she would spend money. The one she picked was only $100.00 US. Imagine my relief? I am not cheap but i am practical. Jewelry does absolutely nothing for me. I thought she did real well on this.
Last day i went to the Dentist to have my upper braces removed. This was one of the other reasons i went to Peru. Dental work is inexpensive there and very good. I know a very good Dentista there if anyone is interested. Flew out of Lima that night! Next afternoon as i arrived home, it was snowing!!! How rude is that! I do wish i was still there.
This was really long. This is only a few of the things that happened to me while i was there. I hope that it was enjoyed and maybe someone can learn something from it. I had a great time, as i usually do on my trips, and now i am looking forward to my new life with my Peruna Princesa.....

Te Amo Peru
REX

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132