It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Canadian citizenship certificate  (Read 3424 times)

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Canadian citizenship certificate
« on: February 18, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »
One of my kids was finally motivated enough to get the required Canadian passport photos so I was able to complete her application for her Canadian citizenship certificate. It came in the mail the other day and shows that her citizenship was effective as of her date of birth. The odd thing is that does not have her photo on it even though they require photos (and Canadian passport photos are a pain in the ass!).

Now if I can get the others motivated enough to get their photos taken. I've been nagging them about this for years.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Canadian citizenship certificate
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »
One of my kids was finally motivated enough to get the required Canadian passport photos so I was able to complete her application for her Canadian citizenship certificate. It came in the mail the other day and shows that her citizenship was effective as of her date of birth. The odd thing is that does not have her photo on it even though they require photos (and Canadian passport photos are a pain in the ass!).

Now if I can get the others motivated enough to get their photos taken. I've been nagging them about this for years.

I know if I want 'just' Irish citizenship and an Irish passport it's about 520 EU or about $575 USD.

Other nations may differ, but via my late Grandparents, I still qualify for Italian and Ireland citizenship and PPs.

But one EU nation's PP and citizenship, makes travel, work opportunities easier across the entire EU. (While it still stands)

Not applicable to my kids though..

Other nations have different req's, but enough money alone will often legally buy you an official PP from a lot of nations.

Doing so can increase overseas employment options there as well.

""The first and easiest way to get a European citizenship & passport is through your ancestry and descent. You may be eligible for European citizenship by descent if you have parents, grandparents or even great-grandparents from Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Poland and many other countries."
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:21:54 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
You are lucky, Robert, to be able to get EU citizenship. I would spend that $575 pronto.

Canada has mucked around with their citizenship laws a lot lately. One of my grandchildren even qualifies as a Canadian citizen but the other grandchildren born more recently do not. They tightened up on people born outside Canada whose parents were not born in Canada so now it's only one generation born outside Canada that can claim Canadian citizenship.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:28:31 PM »
You are lucky, Robert, to be able to get EU citizenship. I would spend that $575 pronto.

Canada has mucked around with their citizenship laws a lot lately. One of my grandchildren even qualifies as a Canadian citizen but the other grandchildren born more recently do not. They tightened up on people born outside Canada whose parents were not born in Canada so now it's only one generation born outside Canada that can claim Canadian citizenship.

Yea, U.C., It's still a chunk of change to drop and maybe I dislike the idea of filling out the paperwork even more-- but it still , it does make a difference, especially in certain nations.

Ireland changes their requirements too. My kids used to qualify.

Not looking for amex black card snob appeal (that's really expensive) by having additional  PPs, but instead for convenience now and possibly more so, later.

However many nations now may roll their eyes, showing anti american attitude when you try and enter there, it still is overall the best 'card' to show..

A USA PP, is still (for now anyways) the best 'Don't f__k with me' card you can play entering most nations, and by long shot.

Granted it's comparing a so called "developing world" to a "1st world" categorized nation, but when my wife took her Filipino. PP carrying family members to China and Japan last summer, they had to stand in long, cattle gated lines, like Disney on a Sunday, then deal with sullen, distrustful immigration/customs a holes.

Meanwhile my wife, who obviously looks quite similar,  flew thru a much shorter line and was treated personally much nicer. Like because some silly blue. USA PP meant that her sh!t didn't stink as bad...

Of course once you're out of the airport, people will just look at, judge you and treat you according to your looks, skin tone, dress and only then fairly, on how you actually behave.

I think that still, for when the sh!t hits the fan, when you're in trouble abroad, be it arrested, accused,  lose your PP,  are in midst of hell breaking loose in any nation, the USA PP, with consulates and embassies all over, is still for now, Willy Wonkas Golden Ticket in and outta there.

A secondary PP from another great nation like Oh Canada, or an EU PP, is cool, useful to an extent, and maybe for a while, looks better. I guess a Swiss PP/citizenship would connotate, "I'm well off, politically neutral, let me be."

I suppose a PP from the EU, in a nation your visiting, helps, is a start for employment, but there you'll still prolly need citizenship requiring a ton of time, paperwork and $$$.

So yeah, it's cool for efficiency getting through and avoiding the 'evil eye' at some airports.

Maybe given the ever changing political climate and possibly favorable taxation and living arrangements in other nations, there's 'some' potential benefit too. If not now, maybe later.

Crazy, effing world out there. Walls. Didn't China try that a while back?

For all the crazy talk of biblical doom prophecies of one global currency meaning the beginning of the end and more schlock, I'm not too worried.

Any worthwhile reasons to get Colombian or Mexican citizenship or PPs?

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »
The Colombian passport comes in handy visiting Brazil and Argentina. Brazil requires a visa for citizens of the US and Canada but not for Colombia. Argentina used to levy a hefty $160 fee for US and Canadian citizens entering the country but it's been suspended for US citizens. For Colombians it is free.

One of my stepsons used his Colombian passport to enter Argentina from Uruguay much to the dismay of the Argentine inspector at the border. She looked at his Colombia passport and after scrutinizing the pages, said, "You didn't use this passport to enter Uruguay?" He then held up his US passport and said, "No, I used this one." She was annoyed but she had to let him in for free.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 03:11:53 PM »

Hopefully with the big corruption scandal.happening,PM Ducky Socks will get turfed and they will eventually  change the laws so no more grand parents can come in and clog Up the Medical system even.more than it is .

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 03:35:58 PM »
Hopefully with the big corruption scandal.happening,PM Ducky Socks will get turfed and they will eventually  change the laws so no more grand parents can come in and clog Up the Medical system even.more than it is .

What do you care what they do? The US is [snip]ed with all the old farts on Social Security and Medicare and Canada is [snip]ed too. Everyone born before 1970 needs to go to the chopping block.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 04:06:04 PM »
The Colombian passport comes in handy visiting Brazil and Argentina. Brazil requires a visa for citizens of the US and Canada but not for Colombia. Argentina used to levy a hefty $160 fee for US and Canadian citizens entering the country but it's been suspended for US citizens. For Colombians it is free.

One of my stepsons used his Colombian passport to enter Argentina from Uruguay much to the dismay of the Argentine inspector at the border. She looked at his Colombia passport and after scrutinizing the pages, said, "You didn't use this passport to enter Uruguay?" He then held up his US passport and said, "No, I used this one." She was annoyed but she had to let him in for free.

Now imagine if your son had shown up in Argentina showing a Venezuelan PP at entry, rather than the Columbian one?

Either way, I think in ea case, inc showing any differences, including or maybe BECAUSE someone additionally had such (a USA PP, oh my God) is such an added annoyance to the already annoyed and underpaid govt officials, sort of adds up to a bad interaction.

I know it's unthinkable that the leader of a big national govt could shut down the govt for over a month, leaving unpaid and annoyed International Border Security. Govt. shutdown=zero pay = unpaid employees = annoyed = bad service, but I heard that's actually happened!!

And the border and entry employees, accross countless airports nationwide, were annoyed acting!

I fergit, where, musta bin a 3rd world  outpost somehere.....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:10:37 PM by robert angel »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
That reminds me of when we visited Colombia with one of my daughters. The immigration woman asked each of us what our occupations are and when my daughter said, "I am an actress" we all laughed. Yes, she has had small roles in some films, television shows and commercials but I would never describe her as an actress. The woman just looked at us like what's so funny?

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 02:28:07 PM »

What do you care what they do? The US is [snip]ed with all the old farts on Social Security and Medicare and Canada is [snip]ed too. Everyone born before 1970 needs to go to the chopping block.
I was born after that so I guess I am safe lol

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 02:02:27 PM »
Hopefully the different nations can try and keep the obtaining  of citizenship and pass port privileges from their countries' stable.

It'll always cost a good chunk of money to get citizenship , (sponsor me for Monaco, OK, guys?) then the passport renewal every 5 to 10 years is probably between $50-100.

If there's an angle to know about a certain PP allowing free $$$$ entry in another nation, that's good to know.

Wish 'citizenship by ancestry' still allowed my son's to have my Irish and Italian EU privilige. But again, rules change.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345