It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Chikungunya  (Read 4909 times)

Offline John W

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Chikungunya
« on: October 29, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »
My wife is scheduled to go back to Colombia for her first visit back home since arriving in November 2013.  She is from Cartagena.  Four of her family members have been infected with the Chikungunya virus over the past month and a half.  It is transmitted by mosquito bit and can cause severe joint and body pain for several years, although symptoms usually go away after a few weeks.   A few people have died from it.  Anybody here gotten any feedback from people in Colombia about this virus?  It originated in Africa back in the 1950s and recently spread to the Caribbean.  There have also some reported cases in the US that did not involve people who had traveled to infected areas.  I think it would be getting more press if it were not for Ebola.  I am not worried about Ebola, but I am concerned about my wife being infected with Chikungunya while visiting her family. 

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Chikungunya
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
It's also in Asia--tends to come and go every ten years and is close to, but shouldn't be treated the same as Dengue Fever

http://www.who.int/denguecontrol/arbo-viral/other_arboviral_chikungunya/en/
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »
I'm not familiar with the disease. You can probably find articles about it on the internet, although it looks like what Robert linked to is as good as any.

You say your wife arrived here in November 2013, so she obviously hasn't had time to do her removal of conditions on her LPR (green card) yet. Don't forget that for people in your wife's situation a special travel document (forget the exact name of it) is needed from La Migra or they won't let her back in the US. Naturally, there is a fee required to obtain this document. You were probably aware of all that, but "just in case", I thought I'd remind you.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
I hate using it, but sometimes when there are dangerous bugs spreading bad stuff, the best practice is to use plenty of insect repellant on the skin. I think it's generally realized that the more DEET the repellant has the better, but some folks swear by other stuff.

Remember that the damn skeeters can bite through clothing.

The locals should know what works best (in poorer areas, they often use smokey fires--ugh)  but the TSA is always changing the rules on carry on--one flight out west, they confiscated my bear mace and tiny Swiss Army 'classic' knife, leaving me utterly defenseless. The last flight we took, they made us take off our shoes in security going to Detroit, but we got to keep them on leaving Detroit--go figure---the latest is:

3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-liquids-rule

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:12:27 PM »
Could have sworn I ate a Chikungunya once at one of them fancy, white table cloth Mexican restaurants.... :D

Offline fathertime

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:19:03 PM »
My wife is scheduled to go back to Colombia for her first visit back home since arriving in November 2013.  She is from Cartagena.  Four of her family members have been infected with the Chikungunya virus over the past month and a half.  It is transmitted by mosquito bit and can cause severe joint and body pain for several years, although symptoms usually go away after a few weeks.   A few people have died from it.  Anybody here gotten any feedback from people in Colombia about this virus?  It originated in Africa back in the 1950s and recently spread to the Caribbean.  There have also some reported cases in the US that did not involve people who had traveled to infected areas.  I think it would be getting more press if it were not for Ebola.  I am not worried about Ebola, but I am concerned about my wife being infected with Chikungunya while visiting her family.

Hey John, sorry to hear that you are going through that sorta rough time...keep us posted

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:06:36 AM »

Hey John, sorry to hear that you are going through that sorta rough time...keep us posted

Fathertime!

FT's comment was very appropriate and I apologize for after initially offering help, then interjecting my feeble attempt at 'light humor' on the subject.

I hope they get better soon, w/o lingering effects. I know how hard it is when your wife's family is not well and are far away from her.

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 03:59:15 PM »
I'm not familiar with the disease. You can probably find articles about it on the internet, although it looks like what Robert linked to is as good as any.

You say your wife arrived here in November 2013, so she obviously hasn't had time to do her removal of conditions on her LPR (green card) yet. Don't forget that for people in your wife's situation a special travel document (forget the exact name of it) is needed from La Migra or they won't let her back in the US. Naturally, there is a fee required to obtain this document. You were probably aware of all that, but "just in case", I thought I'd remind you.

You're thinking of the Advance Parole (I-131)?

However, she would not need that if she already adjusted status and has the conditional (2-yr) Green Card. As long as her Green Card doesn't expire while she is out of the country, and she doesn't stay out over one year (6 months to be safe), there should be no problem with her getting back in...

Ray

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:29:56 PM »
Yeah, Ray, that's the one, just couldn't think of the name. I thought she needed it until the removal of conditions, but you certainly know more about the immigration rules than I do.

I mentioned it so John W, the OP could either say

"This Michael guy doesn't know what he's talking about, all that's already taken care of, think I let her leave without knowing she's allowed to come back?"

or, if necessary,

"What? More paperwork? More fees? Maybe I better look into this and make sure we get it right instead of getting in trouble"

.......if he says the first one, no skin off of my teeth, if he says the second, then I've helped him out, which was of course my intention.

Offline John W

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »
I am aware of the requirements for re-entry, but thanks for the info.  My wife has a combo card-work permit and advanced parole.

I am little surprised that no ones else knows of anyone in Colombia that has been infected with Chikungunya.  So far it seems like the effects on my wife's family members have not been too bad, although her mother is still suffering from symptoms.  From what I have read it often has a longer effect on people over 45. 

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »
I am aware of the requirements for re-entry, but thanks for the info.  My wife has a combo card-work permit and advanced parole.

I am little surprised that no ones else knows of anyone in Colombia that has been infected with Chikungunya.  So far it seems like the effects on my wife's family members have not been too bad, although her mother is still suffering from symptoms.  From what I have read it often has a longer effect on people over 45.

Glad it's not too bad for your wife's family. I think Dengue fever might be worse--but it seems with that one, it's kids that have the highest mortality rates, although lately, older people are dying in greater numbers from it. 

Nature is weird. As for lingering effects, it's not uncommon w/ mosquito delivered illnesses. Just one example is malaria and it reoccurring years later--the term is 'recrudescence', where it can disappear--actually be non detectable in the body--and it comes back repeatedly--over wide ranging periods. My Uncle caught Malaria in Vietnam and never totally got over it in the next 50 years of his otherwise healthy life.

Same thing with some snake bites. Some folks get feverish, may even have their teeth get loose, basically on an annual basis-----every year about the time the snake bit them and after they 'thought' they'd completely recovered.

I killed a Diamondback rattler on the walk way to our front door a couple weeks ago--after I chopped off his head completely, the head and body kept moving independently, the head quit first--with it's mouth wide open--as if to say 'F___ you!--kinda freaked me out--so you could imagine the wife's reaction....

The cooler weather brings such cold blooded critters out to bask on the warmer concrete--damn thing was slow, as it had apparently eaten a cat or small dog shortly before--it was very fat in the middle. There are coral snakes and copperheads around here too... ::)

Offline fathertime

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
Hey John,  I hope your wife's family is doing better.  I saw this story today on CNN commenting on how widespread this sickness has become.  155 dead.  Anyone traveling to the  Domincan Republic may want to think twice.  It has been hit the hardest with 520,000 people infected thus far.

[size=78%]http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/17/health/chikungunya-infects-the-americas/index.html?hpt=hp_t2[/size] 

Fathertime!   
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline John W

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »
Thanks FT.  My wife is still in Cartagena but will be coming home soon.  No new case of Chikungunya in her family, but her mother is still suffering from effects of the virus-aching joints and body pain.  I am  still surprised this virus has not received more coverage in the media as it seems it is fairly wide spread in South America. 

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
Thanks FT.  My wife is still in Cartagena but will be coming home soon.  No new case of Chikungunya in her family, but her mother is still suffering from effects of the virus-aching joints and body pain.  I am  still surprised this virus has not received more coverage in the media as it seems it is fairly wide spread in South America.

Thanks John for the update....I read that outbreak is still pretty bad...even Lindsey Lohan caught it in the Caribbean this week.  I suspect the Caribbean countries are concerned it will ruin their tourism, so they don't want it to become a big story...I like going to The Bahamas but the sickness has also hit them too...so I don't know if I want to risk it...although I probably will.

http://www.webmd.com/news/20141231/lindsay-lohan-chikungunya

Fathertime! 
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline buencamino

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 09:07:19 AM »
It was reported yesterday in El Pais that there are now 80,000 cases reported in Colombia. Sounds high but that was the report.

Offline whitey

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
Almost everyone in my wife's family in Barranquilla has gotten it over the last 2-4 weeks.

We didn't go down for Christmas this year, and I feel like I've dodged a bullet since most were sick.

We are going down in 6 weeks ... hope we don't get it ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »
Almost everyone in my wife's family in Barranquilla has gotten it over the last 2-4 weeks.

We didn't go down for Christmas this year, and I feel like I've dodged a bullet since most were sick.

We are going down in 6 weeks ... hope we don't get it ...

Hoping the family mends up soon and when you get there, everyone's feeling well!

Offline fathertime

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 11:24:48 AM »
It appears the USA is attempting to fight Chikungunya by releasing millions of genetically modified male mosquitoes in the Florida Keys.  They are to bread with the females and the resulting offspring will all die, which will reduce the population and hopefully lead to less bites and infections....an interesting side note is that male mosquitoes don't bite humans. 

http://news.yahoo.com/millions-gmo-insects-could-released-florida-keys-164030029.html

Fathertime! 
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats