It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: TLC - 90 Day Fiance  (Read 31485 times)

Offline Howard

• Anak ni Howard and Asawako
    • Big Daddy Site
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 1 - 3
TLC - 90 Day Fiance
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
Man, is anybody else watching this show?

Its pretty much everything I thought it would be when I heard about it, except it seems like the producers are trying to be fair to all parties involved and letting them make themselves look bad - or good

If you get a chance watch last night's episode, I feel SO sorry for the Filipina!  I thought the ex-wife was his MOTHER in casual watching, until Gerlie told me it was his ex wife!  What a BALL BUSTER!  No wonder this guy went to the other side of the earth to find a wife, she's just petrifying!!!  Then she sits down with her new husband - I was shocked she found one guy to marry her, but TWO??? - her ex and his fiance and has the BALLS to want to discuss the fact that the fiance wants children, because during their divorce they - read as "She" - decided that they wouldn't have more children.  The whole time the guy just backpedals and let's his ex-man-wife steamroll his fiance!  It's UNBELIEVABLE!!!

If that dude doesn't grow a pair quickly, his fiance should RUN!!!  That poor girl's life will be miserable as long as he lets his ex run it

It's like a fatality accident, I can't look away

I look forward to your comments

Keep the Faith!

H
If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you.

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: TLC - 90 Day Fiance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:28:03 PM »
Yep there is a thread about it. What you mention just goes to show that the guys have their own issues too. The current running theme of the show is that the men lost their balls a long time ago. They'll either find them or this will be a real struggle. But I'm sure TLC is putting these families in the situation. It might not be scripted but TLC shoots it and edits it to best suit rating and drama.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline Jhengsman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
Coming in on the middle as I expect most to since it is not a scripted drama even though they are being fair with the daily countdown as they change couples I was left with the impression they the couples just met and were taking a full 90 day trail period. And I know better then 99% of the population that  the scenario is impossible,

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »

Offline Howard

• Anak ni Howard and Asawako
    • Big Daddy Site
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:18 AM »
It may not be scripted but I am sure that the chose the closest thing to train wrecks they could when choosing couples.  Most of us would make for boring TV, unless Ray or Hammy was available :P  LOL
If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you.

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
Yep, the "ex" looks like and sounds like the Bitch From Hell. And his little fat kiddies look just like her, without all the tattoos.

This Filipina is marrying into the Family from Hell, if she doesn't make a run for it. But would the producers ever let her bail out before they finish their stupid countdown?

Notice how the producers manage to work the term "Mail Order Bride" into the dialogue every few minutes?  :D

Ray

Offline bcc_1_2

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
It may not be scripted but I am sure that the chose the closest thing to train wrecks they could when choosing couples.  Most of us would make for boring TV, unless Ray or Hammy was available :P  LOL

I'm not so sure boring is the right word. Offensive to their views might be the right word. There are a bunch of single/divorced ladies watching that just couldn't handle it. They need a Russian woman who "seems out for a visa" to reassure them about themselves. The Filipina isn't hot but after you see his ex you can damn sure tell what an upgrade she is both physically and personality-wise.

Maybe TLC will try to be "fair" but there is no way they insult their targeted audience either. You read the real comments from men on their website but that will never make it to air.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:31:39 PM »
Spoiler alert:

For what it is worth fans on a TV message board looked up Louis' Visa Journey timeline and posted a link.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/140762-louis-and-aya/

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »
Its back season 2 starts October 2, 14. Six couples are announced including two American women with foreign fiances.

The women come from the Philippines, South Africa, Brazil and Colombia. The men from Tunisia and Nicaragua. With the Brazilian and Tunisian having large age gaps.

Offline brettb

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »
So the new season has started. Has anyone been watching?? From the two episodes I've seen good lord.... I don't want to type any spoilers.... but man that girl from Philippines has some issues! anyways what do you all think?
Second I'll have to eventually write an update for me....

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 06:22:12 AM »
 I only watched the reunion show and my prediction that Paola from Colombia would be too much for Oklahoma to handle came true.

She is a party chica that cannot wait to return to Colombia(Without Hubby) and party it up with her group.

The Brazilian girl looks very happy .

I saw some trailers of the new  one and looks like the Colombia from Cali is a Psycho --Could be my ex--HaHa--

KB

She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »
My wife really dislikes that Filipina. So do her friends. They especially feel so, because she comes of like she's a bitch--complaining about the flowers at the airport. telling him to fetch her luggage etc. Filipinas are concerned that she's giving Filipinas and indirectly the country itself, a bad reputation.

The Filipino in the first season was no wonder woman either--she was far different than most Filipinas we know. How much was the wedding dress she was all whiney about and having a meltdown over--$1200? That's not only a WHOLE lot more money than most Filipinos make in an entire  month, but on top of THAT--the guy was already strapped for cash and couldn't afford it. My wife had a beautiful dress custom made in the Philippines for so little money I'm embarrassed to say how much. It wasn't a whole lot more money than the Halloween outfit she's wearing in my avatar and she looked a lot better in the white silk too!

I think they pick women that aren't typical of their native countries for at least a couple reasons--divas--women like that catch viewers attention more than sweet, understanding, loving and love to cuddle type women. If the women on that show were like that, it'd surely piss of the American women who probably make up most of the viewership.

Plus, the two Filipinas so far, speak very good--almost unaccented English and that shows they're not typical also, but makes it easier for Americans to understand them.

Before the season started, I said "I'll set the series to record on the DVR". Last night we remembered it was recorded and I said "I'll que it up". Twice--almost to the point of being annoyed at me, my wife insisted she wasn't going to watch, because of the new season's Filipina's bad manners. And her friends are also rather annoyed with how this Filipina comes off. I don't think there's a Filipina on my wife's facebook who's had a positive thing to say about her--or at least how the show is depicting her, if it's accurate.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:06:58 AM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Robert made some good points.  "He ain't wrong, he's just different" could be a good description of most of us guys who have and/or are seriously looking for a foreign spouse. And you know what? I think that most of the women we bring back are also a little "different" then most of their sisters in their home countries. However, being willing to be on (and actually selected for) a show like that kind of indicates that they are different even from our kind of different, if you catch my meaning.  The show is going to have to sensationalize the situation, show a couple of "real losers" and some "flakes". Not to say that they will not show one or two normal foreign couples and not to say that they will outright lie, but they'll be pushing the edge of the truth and have more than the usual ratio of "weirdos" or "over the top" of both the US person and the foreign person in their cast.

That way they can satisfy their intended audience, which of course is the "Those fools who have to buy a foreign woman are such losers" and "See, all they want is a visa and his money" crowd.

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
Robert made some good points.  "He ain't wrong, he's just different" could be a good description of most of us guys who have and/or are seriously looking for a foreign spouse. And you know what? I think that most of the women we bring back are also a little "different" then most of their sisters in their home countries. However, being willing to be on (and actually selected for) a show like that kind of indicates that they are different even from our kind of different, if you catch my meaning.  The show is going to have to sensationalize the situation, show a couple of "real losers" and some "flakes". Not to say that they will not show one or two normal foreign couples and not to say that they will outright lie, but they'll be pushing the edge of the truth and have more than the usual ratio of "weirdos" or "over the top" of both the US person and the foreign person in their cast.

That way they can satisfy their intended audience, which of course is the "Those fools who have to buy a foreign woman are such losers" and "See, all they want is a visa and his money" crowd.

Maybe I said it on the Latin side thread or on another board. The first group talked about "the documentary" after their season has been aired this group has to know that TLC sees them as Kardasians and Lisa Ling is no where in sight of this project.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »
I did not catch the entire episode or series...but I did see a little bit of it...from what I saw the guy who has the babe from Cali was way too concerned about the opinion of his family....I think he should have introduced the gal and just taken whatever crap the family wanted to give him *if any*.  I like that gal from what I saw of her. 

The guy with the gal from the Philippians should stop being so damn falsely cheerful...he is acting like a fool...She looks like a pain in the butt and I wouldn't want to be with her very long based on her rotten attitude...I sure as hell wouldn't be sucking up to her like he was...

Like I said, I only saw snippets.

Fathertime! 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:35:20 PM by fathertime »
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline brettb

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 01:15:50 AM »
I'm kind of sucker for these shows as I will be in the same situation pretty soon. expect it wouldn't be a K1 visa will be a K3. Anyways I was shocked when the girl from Philippines (Daya from here on out) started bitching about the flowers. I spent 13 days in Philippines and couldn't have met nicer and more sincere people. And then to tell his mother about "I think its a fake diamond".... My girl instantly said she is just using him. I'm kind of curious to what happened to the Filipina girl from last season with that crazy ex wife. But as I said I am sucker for these type of shows. I wish there was more reality to it instead of pleasing the American women viewers. That being said has anyone seen the documentary "seeking asian female"?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 09:06:36 AM »
I may watch it--actually I'm typically half watching and reading, on-line or doing something at the same time with fluff shows like that, but my wife will surely be focusing more on some Korean soap opera--she doesn't want to see the second episode.

Despite all it's challenges, Filipinos are very proud of their country and can get pretty upset when 'one of their own'--or anyone else,  makes the rest of them look bad and a lot of Filipinas are rightfully upset with the Filipina's character on this show.

I remember getting into a group chat with some Filipinas, who were fighting like mad cats. I tried to mediate, but they were so incensed that me--an outsider, would interfere, that they stopped fighting each other and in unison, got all over my case.

Here or there--girl fights are worse than guy fights--a couple guys can fight and get over it and be friends or at least 'OK' with each other--Father Time and I used to go at each other like rabid dogs, now we're almost chumley. But once girls--women fight, it seems like they never let it go.

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »
Looks like they made it. The on a TV show board the google fu folks found a link to the bridal registry calling for a February wedding. http://registry.theknot.com/brett-otto-daya-de-arce-february-2015/8888639

I guess they stopped the clock with a quick civil ceremony

Offline Ray

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »

Of course you realize that all of this drama is contrived just as it is on most reality shows.

I wonder if Daya is her real name, or if it is just a stage name made up by the show producers. For you guys out there married to Filipinas, ask them what "daya" means in Tagalog...   ROFLMAO!

Ray

Offline fathertime

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »
Of course you realize that all of this drama is contrived just as it is on most reality shows.

I wonder if Daya is her real name, or if it is just a stage name made up by the show producers. For you guys out there married to Filipinas, ask them what "daya" means in Tagalog...   ROFLMAO!

Ray

I agree 4-square...the have little ear-buds in and are cued in on what to say some of the time.....for example when that PI girl complained about the flowers..that seemed contrived to me...just to create drama....I doubt a real person would do that!   

Fathertime!   
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 06:04:25 AM »

Ray
Heard that word a while back when my wife was online shopping.

I don't think anyone would use that name, unless.......
But yep, I think that the producers gave her the stage "daya" name to match her personality.  ;D ;D ;D
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 10:33:46 AM »
My wife doesn't annoy easily, but she really doesn't like to talk about that character 'Daya' or 'that stupid show'. She didn't even want to talk about that stupid name, although she finally came out and said there's not necessarily one single clear cut definition in Tagalog--but I don't think people choose it as a name.

Out of tens of thousands of profiles on Filipinocupid--only five use that name and they're all from Visayan areas--so Tagalog isn't their first language. There's a lot more than five people with the same off the wall kind of sounding names--names other than Daya--the variety and imaginative nature of names over there makes the African American variety we see here seem narrower.

You can pretty much make up any name and find a profile using it.

She didn't think much of how the Filipina from last season was characterized either.

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »

Ray
A Filipino who uses their "real name", does such a person exist? Other couples on the show have made their local small town papers so I doubt they can get away with stage names. Funny I can't remember can't remember either Filipina on their show calling her fiance "dad". That should push the American TLC audience's buttons

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
For some reason this showing is not on my system's on demand menu so I am just following the commentary on TV fan sites. They seem to be real people as such they have things like twitter and facebook pages which are being found and passed along which are then withdrawn after an hour in attempt to preserve the surprise until after TLC airs the season.

If the commentary goes like the first season everybody will hate the loser husband and the green card prostitute fiance until the last show with the gowns and wedding ceremonies at which point everything is great. Except she will still leave as soon as she gets a green card prejudice.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
I caught another 10 minutes last night and am finding it very unlikely that a lot of it isn't scripted.  The man going for the Cali chick would have to be a complete fool to put his woman in front of his entire  (critical)family all at once, to be grilled and subjected to the weird glances and hushed gossip. Quite obviously that is not the way to go about introducing a future wife to the family.   It created some entertainment value, but the fakeness is hard to look past.

Fathertime!
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline whitey

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »
Have to agree with you there FT. 

I've only seen the first episode, but the part where the guy was acting like the macho, leaving a week's worth of dishes piled in the sink, seemed very contrived.

The rest of his place looked pretty clean, he went to some trouble to decorate the bedroom for her ... hard to believe he wouldn't have cleaned a few dishes.
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864