It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Tijuana US Consulate (birth abroad)  (Read 3423 times)

Offline InnocentVixen

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Tijuana US Consulate (birth abroad)
« on: October 11, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »
Hey guys, we finally did the report of birth abroad for our baby and the paperwork for his US passport, it took us less than two hours and we were asked to pick it up in about 2 weeks. Which is great because we leave to TN november 20th, so 3 weeks before we need it. We are just spending thanksgiving there so my in-laws can meet their grandchild for the first time, I think it's kind of funny that it will be his first thanksgiving since it will be my first too.

There were a bunch of babies around and all female security with even a changing room so I am assuming this was an area just for that, there was a room for "interviews" and I kept wondering why nobody goes in there... I think it was the janitor room or something because we didn't get one and I don't think anyone did.

Overall they were pretty laid back and they only needed me for a second to sign. Apparently that is were we are doing my paperwork in about two years before we move to the states, W said it should be as easy as that.

Offline Awesome

Re: Tijuana US Consulate (birth abroad)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
I was born abroad in mexico, and both my parents are us citizens.  I don't know if they ever took me to the us consulate in mexico to report the birth.  Is that required to be able to bring the baby across?  I do know that I didn't become a full-fledged us citizen until I was 4 years old.  Of course I was born back in the 70's so maybe procedures have changed since then.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
Hey guys, we finally did the report of birth abroad for our baby and the paperwork for his US passport, it took us less than two hours and we were asked to pick it up in about 2 weeks. Which is great because we leave to TN november 20th, so 3 weeks before we need it. We are just spending thanksgiving there so my in-laws can meet their grandchild for the first time, I think it's kind of funny that it will be his first thanksgiving since it will be my first too.

There were a bunch of babies around and all female security with even a changing room so I am assuming this was an area just for that, there was a room for "interviews" and I kept wondering why nobody goes in there... I think it was the janitor room or something because we didn't get one and I don't think anyone did.

Overall they were pretty laid back and they only needed me for a second to sign. Apparently that is were we are doing my paperwork in about two years before we move to the states, W said it should be as easy as that.

Sounds like that was pretty easy.

Hey IV, I was just curious... How is Woody doing with the diaper changes? Does he have the hang of it yet? 

Ray

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:02:05 AM »
I was born abroad in mexico, and both my parents are us citizens.  I don't know if they ever took me to the us consulate in mexico to report the birth.  Is that required to be able to bring the baby across?  I do know that I didn't become a full-fledged us citizen until I was 4 years old.  Of course I was born back in the 70's so maybe procedures have changed since then.

Ted Cruz says you were a US citizen at birth and can even run for president. Or you don't believe him :-)

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »

Ted Cruz says you were a US citizen at birth and can even run for president. Or you don't believe him :-)

That's correct. John McCain was born overseas.

If one or both of your parents were US citizens when you were born, then you were a US citizen by birth, or eligible for citizenship. You birth could have been registered abroad or after coming to the U.S., but the easy way is to register abroad.

Ray

Offline Awesome

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »

I think Ray's right.  I was "eligible" for citizenship at birth.  What I have is a "certificate of citizenship" and it was issued when I was 4 years old.  I don't know if that is normal for it to take 4 years or if there was some delay in the process.  Maybe my parents were lazy and didn't file the paperwork as soon as they could have, maybe I'll ask them.  I do know that it is called "derived citizenship", being born abroad to american parents.

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »

Maybe my parents were lazy and didn't file the paperwork as soon as they could have...

That's probably what happened, which isn't that unusual. Everybody hates government paperwork...  :D

Ray

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:03:15 PM »
We got our email today, approved and we can pick it up in 48hrs if we wish to do so,we will wait a little to order some stuff online but so far I love how they do things there!!
------
@Ray: He's a Pro now, hell so am I! he started solids a few months ago and we don't even notice the difference, he started babbling and he is sooo adorable that you don't even feel the drool when he comes at you (he is teething and crawling, just learnt how to stand not long ago) haha, so yeah, glamorous parental life we have going on right now

------
I was born abroad in mexico, and both my parents are us citizens.  I don't know if they ever took me to the us consulate in mexico to report the birth.  Is that required to be able to bring the baby across?
It is not required, you have the option to remain a mexican citizen only but then you need the passport AND the tourist visa which can be denied or cancelled because of X reason.

It is required for dual citizenship though, our son became a full fledged citizen as soon as W and I (mostly W) signed that paperwork but he could still go and get his mexican passport if we were to travel somewhere in Europe/Asia and the visa requirements fits us better. W is stuck with his american passport, just like I am stuck with my mexican one at the moment, the plan is for the three of us to have dual citizenship eventually.

In your case it's tricky, as they should have registered you in Mexico if you were born here regardless if you were getting a mexican passport, back in the early 90's they would still let you cross with nothing but your american birth certificate so they wouldn't even need to apply for the passport had they gone to the consulate... maybe they were not quite done with the paperwork themselves when you were born so you were actually not eligible?

Then again the border used to be a bigger mess, I wouldn't be surprised if they just let your parents pass and it was all a big confusion that made it seem like you magically appeared someday without having a registry of where you were born.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:05:48 PM by InnocentVixen »

Offline Awesome

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:42:25 AM »

------It is not required, you have the option to remain a mexican citizen only but then you need the passport AND the tourist visa which can be denied or cancelled because of X reason.

It is required for dual citizenship though, our son became a full fledged citizen as soon as W and I (mostly W) signed that paperwork but he could still go and get his mexican passport if we were to travel somewhere in Europe/Asia and the visa requirements fits us better. W is stuck with his american passport, just like I am stuck with my mexican one at the moment, the plan is for the three of us to have dual citizenship eventually.

In your case it's tricky, as they should have registered you in Mexico if you were born here regardless if you were getting a mexican passport, back in the early 90's they would still let you cross with nothing but your american birth certificate so they wouldn't even need to apply for the passport had they gone to the consulate... maybe they were not quite done with the paperwork themselves when you were born so you were actually not eligible?

Then again the border used to be a bigger mess, I wouldn't be surprised if they just let your parents pass and it was all a big confusion that made it seem like you magically appeared someday without having a registry of where you were born.

Actually I have my original mexican birth certificate.  I just don't know if my parents ever reported my birth to the american consulate before they brought me across.  I was brought across to the us within a week of my birth.

But you're right, from what I understand, back then without the computers they have today it was harder for them to keep track of all that stuff.

I also found out much later that eventhough I was born in mexico, once I became a us citizen I lost all rights to claim mexican citizenship.  That was until mexico passed the new law a few years ago allowing dual citizenship or dual nationality.  I'd like to claim my mexican nationality and obtain a mexican passport for business and residence purposes one day.

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »
I also found out much later that eventhough I was born in mexico, once I became a us citizen I lost all rights to claim mexican citizenship.  That was until mexico passed the new law a few years ago allowing dual citizenship or dual nationality.  I'd like to claim my mexican nationality and obtain a mexican passport for business and residence purposes one day.

Should be fairly easy if you got registered in Mexico first, you should look into it, if you were considering traveling to Brazil for example, you don't even need a visa using your mexican passport so it might prove handy even way before your retirement.

We are waiting to apply for W until we have been married for 2 years, that will be april 2015.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »
Get as many citizenships as you can. I have dual along with my kids (US and Canada). My wife and her kids have dual (US and Colombia). My stepson recently visited Argentina and would have had to pay $160 using his US passport. He pulled out his Colombian passport and got in free. Same when we were in Sao Paulo - all of us needed to get a Brazilian visa except my wife and stepdaughter using their Colombian passports - no visa required. As time goes on, I think this will happen more and more - US passports may lose a lot of their value. Using a US passport you may as well wear a target on your back.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Get as many citizenships as you can. I have dual along with my kids (US and Canada). My wife and her kids have dual (US and Colombia). My stepson recently visited Argentina and would have had to pay $160 using his US passport. He pulled out his Colombian passport and got in free. Same when we were in Sao Paulo - all of us needed to get a Brazilian visa except my wife and stepdaughter using their Colombian passports - no visa required. As time goes on, I think this will happen more and more - US passports may lose a lot of their value. Using a US passport you may as well wear a target on your back.

Jaja, now that I think about it that may be a way to get around the maximum 180 days per year tourists are allowed to stay in colombia.  When my 180 days are up I could hop across the border with my us passport, then hop right back over with my mexico passport and get stamped for a fresh new 180 days.  Man why didn't I think of that before?  Thanks UC!

Quick edit- I don't actually have a mexican passport yet, but I think I now have a reason to expedite that process.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:40:02 PM by Awesome »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »

Last time I heard, if your GRANDparents were born in Ireland--like me Mum's were, you qualify for Irish citizenship. If I did that and claimed income as an artist or craftsman, I'd pay almost zero taxes there. Same probably holds for some other nations as well.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 08:32:48 PM »

US passports may lose a lot of their value. Using a US passport you may as well wear a target on your back.

After the events of the past week, it seems that a Canadian passport will make you just as big of a target...

If you're afraid to proclaim your citizenship, perhaps you should consider converting to Islam and maybe applying for a Saudi passport??   ;D

Ray

Offline InnocentVixen

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 12:40:36 PM »
When my 180 days are up I could hop across the border with my us passport, then hop right back over with my mexico passport and get stamped for a fresh new 180 days.  Man why didn't I think of that before?  Thanks UC!
That doesn't sound right to me but who knows? maybe it's legal.

I believe mexicans do not require a tourist visa for Colombia to start with but you are limited to X number of days  (some say 90, some say 180), but apparently you can extend your stay twice without leaving the country... so assuming it is 90 days that is 270 days without showing your american passport at all.

Also I couldn't find anything about limitations per year, maybe mexicans don't have that and you can just go back to Mexico and re-enter the country and start over, but don't take my word for it, just guessing from a quick google search here.

I've heard about the irish passports, few years back met a guy who was torn because that would mean to lose his security clearance but that is not something important to everyone... if I remember correctly W already lost it because of me even without having dual citizenship  ???

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467