It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Travel to the Philippines  (Read 6629 times)

Offline Dan1059

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: None (yet)
Travel to the Philippines
« on: March 09, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »
Does anyone know how travel has been to the southern Philippines, especially around Davao City/Samai and around Nituan, Maguindanao? I had read about safety concerns for travelers.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Travel to the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
Davao City and I assume you meant Samal Island --Island Garden of (Samai is around Bangkok, Thailand) are very safe, very buttoned down and secure. I have no qualms about walking the city streets in the wee hours of the morn, I don't even worry about my wallet like I do in USA cities, or in Cebu City or Manila. Island Garden of Samal is a short ferry ride from Davao City and is a lovely, safe place. It's not far from our house and has gorgeous beaches, lovely resorts and good food.Sometimes we take my wife's whole family there.

I wouldn't recommend traveling to Maguindanao or that general area. I'm sure you read about the horrific massacre there a while back and there are still religious---political differences and a weak economy. Same with Cotabato--- really that side of Mindanao, although it varies, is iffy. If there's someone from there you want to see, try and get them to meet you closer to Davao & Samal Island--Filipinos really like visiting there. You can rent ocean front 'cabins' quite inexpensively. If you are serious with a particular woman, getting pictures with her family is a good idea, so it might involve paying extra, although regardless, it's not unusual for a Filipina to bring 'tagalong' people when she meets you.

The US State Dept sort of gives all of Mindanao a bad rep, but it's really pretty much just the ARRM areas, the Autotomous Region of Muslim Mindanao where you need to worry and elsewhere the Muslim community is pretty much peacefully integrated.Some of my most positive experiences have been dealing with Muslim merchants outside of ARRM, including in Davao, Cebu C. and Manila.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:35:46 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 05:34:45 AM »
As far as I know, in the last two or three decades, there have been two kidnappings on Island Garden of Samal, one in 2001 and another in 2015. That area, including Davao City, has the largest population in the Philippines, after Manila. I wonder in that amount of time, how many grisly murders, beheading and kidnappings have occured in USA cities, for instance Miami?  It's all relative. The fact is that the long term Mayor of Davao, who's running for the Philippines Presidency right now, and his family that also  has held office in Davao, have an amazing record, especially for an area that populated, at keeping it very safe. Successful peace talks have been conducted since then with the terrorists who came from outside--again the ARMM area.

Other than Houston and Los Angeles, Davao City is bigger than any city in Texas, California or Florida and that's not even counting the additional million or so people who work there daily, commuting from outside of town. The USA city I live in, population under 150,000, unfortunately has tourists robbed, raped and murdered pretty much every year.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:54:43 AM by robert angel »

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 06:30:53 PM »
Abus set deadline for hostages

By: Julie S. Alipala
Inquirer Mindanao
05:55 AM March 11th, 2016

ZAMBOANGA CITY—Abu Sayyaf bandits holding three Westerners and a Filipino woman in the jungles of Sulu have set a one-month deadline for millions of dollars in ransom to be paid, according to a video released Thursday.

In the video posted on the Facebook page of Pamantasan ng Tawheed at Jihad Filibin, the emaciated hostages said they would be killed if the ransom was not paid by April 8.

Canadian tourists John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, Norwegian resort manager Kjartan Sekkingstad and Hall’s Filipino girl friend Marites Flor were seized from a resort in the Island Garden City of Samal in Davao del Norte province in September last year.

While the ransom amount was not specified, the Abu Sayyaf in an earlier video demanded $21 million (P1 billion) for each of the three foreigners, without mentioning the conditions for Flor’s release.

Hall identified their captors as members of the Abu Sayyaf, a bandit group notorious for kidnapping and beheading foreigners in the south.

He said they were being held in Sulu, hideout of the Abu Sayyaf.

Hall, shown seated next to Flor, asked the Canadian government to help them.

“I am a Canadian citizen being held by the Abu Sayyaf group for ransom. The amount is, I do not know what it is. But the Canadian government has got to get us out of here fast, to do what is necessary to get us out here soon. We got one month before this happens,” he said.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/137640/abus-set-deadline-for-hostages#ixzz42YN8O0bZ

If I were you, I would stay far away from these whacko Muslim terrorists...

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:11:56 AM »
Thanks guys for the information. From what you've posted it seems like Davao City & Samal Island are "reasonably" safe as far as the Philippines go. Jacque is from Barangay Nituan Townsite, Barangay Nituan Townsite, [/size]Maguindanao (if I wrote this correctly ;-). She is very willing to meet in Davao City/Samal Island to spend some time together. She's advised to wait until after the elections as she said crime goes up at this time. Did I read correctly that some of you (Ray / Robert) live in that area? If so you may be a good local contact for me ;-). I have been looking over flights. Is there any trick to it other than reviewing all the various flight agencies?[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Thanks,[/color]
[/size]Dan[/color]

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »
Thanks guys for the information. From what you've posted it seems like Davao City & Samal Island are "reasonably" safe as far as the Philippines go. Jacque is from Barangay Nituan Townsite, Barangay Nituan Townsite, [/size]Maguindanao (if I wrote this correctly ;-). She is very willing to meet in Davao City/Samal Island to spend some time together. She's advised to wait until after the elections as she said crime goes up at this time. Did I read correctly that some of you (Ray / Robert) live in that area? If so you may be a good local contact for me ;-). I have been looking over flights. Is there any trick to it other than reviewing all the various flight agencies?[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Thanks,[/color]
[/size]Dan[/color]

Dan,

I don't think you'll be hearing from Ray anytime soon--I believe he's been--let's say, been put on 'hiatus' and has no choice but to be incommunicado here now.  Long, sorry story there, you probably gathered as much from the archives.

We have a home there in Davao City, close to Island Garden of Samal and Paradise Beach, but I'm in the USA most of the time. Island Garden of Samal, once again, is beautiful and Paradise Beach is especially so and very convenient by ferry. We just got back from Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao--14 miles from Venezuela, and I think the beauty of the beaches is equal and Aruba's Eagle beach has been rated the number two top beach on earth, so the Philippines really has some lovely (and safe) spots.

Everybody talks about the Pearl Farm there, but it's very expensive and not really worth it, I feel and might even give Jacque the impression that you're a wealthy, big spender,. Paradise Beach is also really a resort atmosphere and you'll see more locals and get more of a real feel for the people. They have a zoo, walking paths, food,  various recreation options, cabins and 24X7 security, with automatic weapons, although once again, I think there have been two incidents in thirty years involving foreigners having issues there and millions of visitors.  I'd advise spending some time exploring Davao City, staying there some and seeing how your gal really is in more practical, 'real life' situations.

I sent you a personal letter--not sure if you can access it--if you have enough posts yet. I think you both should try and be your natural selves as much as possible, although the first meetings in a spot new and exciting to both of you makes that kind of hard. As I advised earlier, I would not go to ARRM areas, most certainly including Maguindanao--and again most certainly not around election time--really I wouldn't go there before or after. If you want photos with her family if you become serious about marriage as having photos with her friends and family is best case scenario to have for a spousal or fiancée visa, you may have to figure something out there. That said, if you are serious and file and explain security concerns making getting pics with family unwise, I'm quite sure they would not hold that against you and things would be OK.

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
Robert,

If you can just send your message to me at rkdan59 on gmail

Thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:43:14 PM by Shadow_mas »

Offline Ray

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »

Hi Dan,

My wife is from northern Mindanao, Surigao Del Norte.

I would strongly advise staying away from Maguindanao or generally the south/western parts of Mindanao. The cities of Surigao, Butuan, Cagayan De Oro, and Davao are generally pretty safe, but extra caution and vigilance should be exercised when traveling anywhere in Mindanao particularly.

Resort/tourist areas should be considered on the terrorists target lists, especially in the Southern Philippines. Resorts with a heavy security presence are generally safer.

You should check the travel advisories on the US Embassy, Manila website for more info:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/philippines-travel-warning.html

Ray

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:13:11 PM by Ray »

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm hoping to travel there later in April just for about 10 days. My main goal is to get to know my gf in every way possible including seeing her interactions with me and the other locals. I'll be a sponge and want to learn all I can, lol. Secondary to this is to get a better understanding of the people and customs as a whole. I'd love to feel safe to travel to her village but it's not in the cards and is okay.

Any recommendations on how to better blend in and not appear touristy? Also do I just drink bottled water? Any vaccines or meds it'd be wise to take/bring? I noticed my last email address to Robert got altered. If anyone has private information to send me about all this I'm at...  rkdan59  with the normal gmail.com suffix.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
Dan,

For a good intro to Filipino culture, get a copy of Culture Shock! Philippines by Roces (Amazon)

Just dress comfortably for HOT weather. Jeans or nice shorts, sneakers are fine. Don't worry too much about looking like a tourist because that's what you are.   ;D

Cheapo watch. No gold chains or jewelry. Hat for sun protection. Swim suit. About $100/day in cash.

Yes. bottled water only!

For shots, nothing required, but check with your doctor and CDC travel advisories.

Here is my standard list of what to bring. This was intended for a 3-4 week stay, so you may want to adjust quantities for a 10 day trip.

What to Bring

Pepto Bismol Chewable Tabs. Take two before eating to ward off Lapulapu's Revenge.

Immodium AD in case you forget to take your Pepto.

Sun screen lotion.

Mosquito repellant with Deet.

Lots of small bottles of Tabasco Sauce. Carry a bottle with you when going to someone's house because you never know what they might serve up for lunch or dinner. It could save your life.

One or two pairs of flip-flops. You take your shoes off when entering someone's house but they almost never have anything larger than size 9 slippers to offer you. Better bring your own.

A roll or two of toilet paper. That stuff is like gold over there.

For your digital camera, bring lots of extra memory sticks and rechargeable batteries with a small 110/220V charger. Take hundreds or thousands of photos!

Bring a half-dozen small hand towels if you sweat easily. The heat and humidity, along with TORRENTIAL rains, will keep you soaking wet.

I would bring at least 8-10 changes of clothes if you have room. I generally don't believe in traveling light since you paid dearly for that 100 lb checked baggage allowance.

Bring your cash in crisp, new $100 dollar bills. They're the easiest to change. Traveler's Checks may be safer, but they are a major pain in the arse to change!

Bring one major credit card for hotel bills.

Bring photocopies of your passport/plane tickets and keep them in a separate location from the originals. Carry a copy of your passport with you when you are out and about. Leave ALL valuables and your passport in the hotel safe deposit if at all possible!

Clean out your wallet before you go. You will only need one major credit card, a picture ID, and possibly an ATM card. Leave everything else at home so it won't get lost.

Consider turning over the bulk of your cash to your girl for safe keeping. Keep a hundred in your shoe in case she runs off so you can go to Angeles City to party (j/k).

Remember to only drink bottled water (goes for ice too)!

Don't forget your pasalubong...

Ray

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:51:21 PM by Ray »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 06:13:30 PM »
The above is all real good advice. Pepto Bismol is good and covers a number of traveler's ailments. I prefer Imodium and/or Imodium R (multi symptom) and have been known to take a half dose or so "just to be safe" when going out for extended periods. Imodium pills are so tiny, stash a few on body in saran wrap if away from your room for a while.

There probably won't be toilet paper in mall 'comfort rooms' as they call restrooms there, as well as in a lot of other places, so just be prepared. besides, most such facilities will be 3/4 sized and possibly quite nasty compared to what you're used to.

Some thin packs of sanitized wet wipes like they sell in the baby sections for day trips, along with a cotton bandana are good carry pals. They sell lots of little bottles of hand sanitizer too, of course.

I am leery of using credit cards over there and never let them out of my sight when I do. Call your bank and/or credit card/s ahead of time if you plan to bring/use them--I keep important numbers including phone numbers on the back of CC and bank cards in a separate, discreet place in case I need to call once I'm over there. Not too easy to call the number once the cards are gone and you forgot the number. Most CC and banks will be happy to bail you out of a predicament in the unlikely scenario that something goes awry.

On my first trips, I used a light cotton money belt that you can get from most AAA auto club places, even if a non member. It goes under your pants and or briefs and has a couple zipper compartments.

Besides flip flops, a pair of better sandals, with straps for your ankles and over the front of the foot might keep you comfy & agile, yet slip off easily.

Nowadays, no show socks under other types of footwear are the way to go. Nothing too flashy or that screams 'brand new!' A good pair of all purpose running--walking shoes are good. Bermuda shorts, black socks and a big camera will make you stand out like a dorky, outdated tourist. Plenty of youtube and other video sources to reference as how various people dress everyday over there.

Get a few hats--nothing fancy, including a frumpy hat with a brim you can stuff in your bag for beach trips, etc. I'd bring a couple bathing suits. But I generally wear pants rather than shorts around town and basically try to blend in.

As for 'pasalubong' it translates in English as 'souvenir', but really it means you're expected to come bearing gifts. For her, Victoria's Secret would probably be a hit--clothes, lotions etc. Nike, Adidas, Hollister, Aeropostale and other trendy stuff too. A nice hair brush and mirror set maybe, some not too pricey things--all will be appreciated. Maybe hit the local outlet mall for this stuff, as well as Walmart, K Mart, Target, etc. Even inexpensive perfumes and for the guys, cologne, will probably be a luxury item they'd appreciate.

Figure if bringing something for her parents and closest friends is wise too. Chocolate is always, always appreciated. No matter that the chocolate or gear is made over there and sent to be sold in the USA, if you brought it FROM the USA, it immediately becomes much more precious for some strange reason.

I'd be careful about booking too many things, events, place, or too many nights from on-line here. They look at your ISP, see you're from overseas and automatically the rate goes way up. Chances are once there, the girl you're traveling with can get a much better deal--- w/o you standing next to her, that is.

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 05:44:01 AM »
Thanks Ray & Robert for all the great advice. Do you bring your cell phone when you travel there? Mine has so much important stuff in it but I'm not sure if it's safe/wise. I'll probably travel light as I do on all the motorcycle rides I go on but will bring the essentials you mentioned. Probably a large checked bag and a carry-on should do it I'd think.

We plan to stay in the Davao/Samal Island area the whole time which suits me for my purposes for this trip. Jacque is taking care of some local things so I'm really just focusing on the travel to & fro. I'm really trying to keep things simple-safe-fun-enlightening, lol.

~Dan

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 05:44:01 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 07:57:24 AM »
Thanks Ray & Robert for all the great advice. Do you bring your cell phone when you travel there? Mine has so much important stuff in it but I'm not sure if it's safe/wise. I'll probably travel light as I do on all the motorcycle rides I go on but will bring the essentials you mentioned. Probably a large checked bag and a carry-on should do it I'd think.

We plan to stay in the Davao/Samal Island area the whole time which suits me for my purposes for this trip. Jacque is taking care of some local things so I'm really just focusing on the travel to & fro. I'm really trying to keep things simple-safe-fun-enlightening, lol.

~Dan

I typically buy, or have someone from the area buy a decent but second hand cell phone when I am over there.  When I leave, I can usually sell it back for about what I paid, or give it away to someone. The pawn shops are full of them. Then you buy a special SIM card and purchase what they call a "load"--which allow you a certain amount of texts, calls, even data if you need that. When you use it up, you buy another and reload, using the number on the back of the card--almost all convenience type stores sell them, even street side vendors.

Figure if you shower or go to sleep that your phone and all that's in it is a fair game 'open book' and that curiosity will get the better of your GF and she WILL have a 'look see'.

So if there's a lot of stuff, pictures etc., that you want to reference on your phone, yes you can bring it, but if you're staying close by the beach, you might want to keep it in a sealed case or a plastic bag, zip lock etc. Water, salt air and electronics don't work well together. Really bring a few sandwich bags, as it is a good idea for a lot of things, phones, meds, wipes etc.

You can ask your cell phone provider for phone access there, but it is very expensive. When we go out of the country, we put our phone in airplane mode so we're certain not to incur obscenely huge 'roaming charges' from our USA based cellular provider. We still find WIFI hotspots and can use our smart phones thereabouts and there are more and more such spots in the Davao City area.

Just remember to check that your phone's in airport mode. I know a guy who went sailing around the Florida Keys for a couple week with his teenage son--all in USA territory. His son spent hours on the phone, talking to his girlfriend back home. The cellphone company nonetheless didn't feel the waters around the Florida Keys were covered and the roaming fees they tried to charge added up to thousands of dollars.

You will see many familiar fast food restaurants, and they and other places, hotels, malls etc., many have wifi. There will be a lot more western brand names and media than you might expect
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:07:23 AM by robert angel »

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »
Okay thanks! Since I'd only use it for occasional check-ins, all the data is backed up and it's in a LifeProof case I'm thinking of bringing it. I'd first have to talk to Verizon to get the full scoop on costs. Will my standard 110v iPhone wall charger work? I'd also bring my Jackery power pack which will charge my phone about 4 times fully during power outages. I'm assuming my phone would be able to connect to local wifi??? It's amazing at all the uses zip-lock bags provide. I use the qt & gal sizes to hold various motorcycle parts that I want to save :).

~Dan

PS: How long do you have to be on this site before you get privileges? It looks like I'm limited in some ways.

Offline Ray

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 02:17:43 PM »
Hey Dan,

The Philippines is on 220V power. Some hotels have 110V, but the norm is 220.

I would not bring an I-Phone. It just makes you a target for the phone-snatchers. Most of those used phones they sell over there are likely stolen.

Using the local cell phones over there will probably cost you around a dollar a minute to call the states.

Ray

Offline Ray

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »

I believe you get full privileges, including personal messaging, after you make 10 posts.

Ray

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 03:26:18 PM »
There are probably more internet cafes than gas stations over there now as well, so other than texting to stay in touch, you might not need a phone that much.

We were out of the country earlier this month, to islands where they didn't have internet cafes much. Actually getting away from computers and smart phones was great for a change. We hardly even watched any TV.

Don't be surprised to see a lot of USA TV shows in reruns there, along with a lot of Chinese and Korean soaps, dramas with subtitles etc.

Ask her if she gets to the movies much---it might be a treat and the newer movie theaters there are pretty nice--some of the newer ones even have leather lounger recliner chairs and a movie ticket to the same movie in the USA costs a whole lot more here. You'll appreciate the air conditioning--one reason why the malls (which also often have movie theaters within them)  are just fun bee hives, full of lights and music, with tons of people, lots of pretty women and the atmosphere makes US malls look somber. Hitting the mall food courts is definitely worth the time and money.

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
I'm hoping to have travel tied up soon for later this month. I am reconsidering bringing the phone as I can bring what I need written down and mostly it's to keep in touch back home from time to time anyway. As you said I can do that at the internet cafe's.

I know it's hot there so I'm traveling light with hot weather things. 2 pairs of thin nylon travel pants & a few wicking shirts, hat, tennis shoes & sandals, bathing suit and a few other essentials. Mostly it'll be Pasalubong items, lol.

I'm also looking to have a backup plan just in case. Do you have any close friends/family in Davao I could contact if an urgent situation arises? If not it's okay but if you do you can email me or we could talk on the phone about it as well. In any case my ducks are almost lined up for this excursion... :-).

~Dan

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 01:04:21 PM »
Is there any way to private message someone in here. I can't see how to do it.

~Dan

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »
Make ten posts. Even put:

#9 I am going to the RP
#10 I am going to ask for help

Send each individually

and then you should be able to PM after those ten

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
Make ten posts. Even put:

#9 I am going to the RP
#10 I am going to ask for help

Send each individually

and then you should be able to PM after those ten

Oh--and then after you've made ten posts, click on the member's name and below that, you'll see a drop down to click on (to open a new screen) to send  that member a PM. If I recall correctly, aren't you leaving this month?

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »
Hi Robert,

Yes, I'm leaving next week for 10 days. As I wrangle the last details together I was trying to connect offline to make sure my ducks are lined up. It's a little daunting, lol.

Dan

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
Hi Robert,

Yes, I'm leaving next week for 10 days. As I wrangle the last details together I was trying to connect offline to make sure my ducks are lined up. It's a little daunting, lol.

Dan

Well, Try writing "Getting closer" --send it--and then "Getting even closer" send that and then try to PM me or whoever. Dunno if you'll need yet another  "Getting closer by the minute"--meaning if you'll need an 11th post or not--probably not--but don't feel silly about it--most of us have been where you are right now.

Being nervous is OK--I was really nervous my first trip too, but I'm quite sure you'll be fine--I've been all around the area you're going to and then some. Being nervous at first is actually a healthy reaction. Just do it, man!

Offline Dan1059

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just email me?

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0