It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Lonely Planet scandal with Colombia guide book  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Montrealer

Lonely Planet scandal with Colombia guide book
« on: April 14, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »
In this mornings El Heraldo, there is an article about the Lonely Planet guide book to Colombia.  Apparently the author never had traveled to Colombia when writing the book like he let's readers assume.  His response was "I don't get paid enough to travel in Colombia".

I've never used the Lonely Planet books or any of their services, but I know some of you have.  So just be careful what you read and what information you take from them.

Here's the link to the full story (in spanish)

http://www.elheraldo.com.co/ELHERALDO/BancoConocimiento/N/nacioacusaescritor/nacioacusaescritor.asp?CodSeccion=16
Send more divers, the last ones tasted great!  -  JAWS

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
Re: Lonely Planet scandal with Colombia guide book
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »
yeah I saw that story last week online.  I do use their website- which is a collection of first hand tourists/travelers that blog about their adventures.  That and their comments section on hotels, b & b's are pretty helpful for getting an idea about traveling in a new area. 

If you've noticed, blogs are tending to be much more accurate and up to date than books in "time sensitive" news and information.  The amazon.com website model (with user comments and comparisons to competitors) is the way to shop as much as possible, imo. 

I think the trend is irresversible. 

DayTrader

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Offline bp

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »
Publishing is obviously a part of my career. In fact, one of the courses I had to take in grad school pretty much revolved around navigating the print market. The skinny of it is this: books (specifically involving reference or needing fact-checking) have an average turn-around of 5 years. Meaning, a book just published today was finished around 2003, and any research was probably finished in 2001-2002. I think a book about Colombia then would paint a very different picture than a book about Colombia now.

This is one of the main reasons why most people in my field focus on articles for journals and whatnot rather than books. The turn-around for articles is only about a year, meaning when people read it, it could still be true. :)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats