It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: What Do Your Filipina Wives Think About the Fight  (Read 9873 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: What Do Your Filipina Wives Think About the Fight
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »

"real boxing fans" is my point. Boxing is simply not the household sport it once was. They are loosing their grip and it is no secret. Yes they still make more than MMA....for now. But every year that goes by MMA gains ground. Believe what you want but when business rags look at the numbers and look at it from a business perspective there is truth that boxing is loosing it's grip.

There's been a real disconnect. I can't even recall the spelling of those two Russian brother's names,  one who's been the widely recognized Heavy Weight Champion for quite a while. Used to be that generally speaking,  the heavyweight championship bouts made the most money by far. That Russian Champ,  who's fought quite a few bouts,  has 'only' about 30 million dollars career earnings.

Rumours of 'fixing'  boxing matches,  of guys 'taking a dive' are as old as boxing itself. But increasingly in other 'professional' sports as well, allegations of 'fixing' outcomes is increasing. I know some guys who are convinced that pro football is 'rigged' and they want none of it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:45:41 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
<<<  Not watched a single Boxing match since the days of Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard, 'Marvellous' Hagler, Thomas 'Hit Man' Hearns and Robert 'The Fillipino Romantic Man' Angel

Offline Fosgate5

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »
Exactly. I remember growing up and everybody watched boxing on Wild World Of Sports on Saturday or Fight Night. Now I maybe know 2 guys that even look at who's who let alone sit down and watch an actual fight.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »

Offline SkyNorth

• EL FUEGO
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »
The sports world just isn't the same without Howard Cosell and the Wide World of Sports.  Those were just great episodes to watch...even when the showed Curling.

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 08:58:48 PM »
I was on wide world of sports.  Remember the little short clips  they showed at the beging ? I was in one of them. They were covering the world parachute championships at Tahlrquoh, OK. One of the planes they were going. To jump out of had a dead battery. I knew the pilot and he and I both knew that I knew how to safely start them by hand (many older small planes didn't even have a starter) and I had been taking lessons with one that didn't, so I knew how. Anyway, I went over and got it started.......maybe 2 whole seconds of camera time, but they did use that clip about 10 times.

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »

I did see a good fight last night on TRUTV Friday Night Knockout. Even the hoochie-koochie girls weren't bad...   

Some of the Golden Boy Live fights are pretty good too, often much better than those big-money hype jobs.

Ray

Offline Ray

Thrilla in Manila II?
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »
Knowing that Filipinos are huge boxing fans, I was wondering how popular MMA would be over there.

Now I see that there will be a UFC Fight Night in Manila tomorrow. Some are billing this as the second Thrilla in Manila.

It's televised live on Fox Sports 1, at 5 am Pacific time (prelims at 4).

I watched the weigh-ins today and they had some cute Filipina hoochie-koochie girls...  ;D

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »
$10 to watch online is not a bad deal dollar to punch ratio. Plus you wont have a bunch of lawsuits and both fighters saying they think they won after the fight.

http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-manila-2015

I watched UFC early on when the first three series were released on VHS when the only rules were no biting and first one to tap wins. I remember being bored and could not find anything to rent. Looked interesting and figured I would watch it with a buddy. We were hooked and instantly headed back to the video store to grab the other two to watch that day. I think K1 and Pride were a bit more popular in southeast Asia though.

I remember seeing this Pride fight with Don Fry and was in awe of the slug fest. This is the kind of slug fest I always hope for in big boxing events. Two fighters just give it their all and in the end there is no doubt who the winner is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapfW9AkfsQ

K-1 started out as a kickboxing platform the same time UFC came out but they had a lot of heavy weight monsters like Bob Sapp (Who is a crappy fighter by the way, but he is half the width of the ring so what do you do.). You'll note the refs suck big time in this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CguTRDDUNI
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:11:34 PM by Fosgate5 »

Offline Ray

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 01:28:22 AM »

Now that's some fighting!     

Compare those to Pacman & Money.     

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
I would have loved to watch Tyson coming up through the ranks. Watching some of the guys he was fighting and you can see some of those guys should have probably never been in the ring with the guy at age 19. Thing is he was beating up professional fighters since he was 13 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccD0Uvz6Rg

Watching Pac come up through his fight years is interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkTBVYu9iHE

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 12:06:20 PM »
I would have loved to watch Tyson coming up through the ranks. Watching some of the guys he was fighting and you can see some of those guys should have probably never been in the ring with the guy at age 19. Thing is he was beating up professional fighters since he was 13 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccD0Uvz6Rg

Watching Pac come up through his fight years is interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkTBVYu9iHE

Both fighters were amazing against opponents that had size and reach advantages--Tyson's only 5'10" tall--short in the heavyweight ranks. It's amazing how many opponents never got past the first round with Tyson,  which made his defeat against an obviously well mentally and physically prepared Buster Douglas (49 to 1 underdog) all the more amazing.

These days, Tyson, now a vegetarian, is so modest, classy and well spoken--a real credit to a sport not known for such. He's a pretty good boxing analyst and fight historian too. His biography "The Undisputed Truth" is quite a read.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:39:54 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5877
Latest: WilliamAlorp
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 1
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 89